'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Encouraging News About Ahmed Hill  (Read 35390 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Encouraging News About Ahmed Hill
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2014, 10:55:54 AM »
Given that people are pointing out that the article was written last Friday and they were going to talk this weekend, do we have any middle-aged men stalking every Twitter word Ahmed posts?  Any, "I'm all in" Tweets, which clearly can only mean 1 thing in the mind of a teenage boy, that he is clearly all in on Wojo's program and sticking with Marquette?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »
Do people here honestly believe Wojo doesn't understand that getting Hill to come is a priority? 
Duh!  Many know more about everything than Wojo.

noblewarrior

• Starter
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2014, 11:03:13 AM »
As far as current recruits who have signed a NLI... this is excellent news.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2014, 11:18:12 AM »
Keefe, still chuckling! You would fit in well on our middle-aged-men-who-went-to-grade-school-together-and-recreate-those-times golf trip.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2014, 11:30:09 AM »
In other news.......

The first survivor of Malaysia Airlines flight 370 is found by keefe in the Indian Ocean.

That is probably Keefe below water with his underwater camera, snapping away. Look at the gal's distress--obviously he is getting too close for her liking.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2014, 11:35:11 AM »

And that foot is us!

Best description of Scoop ever.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2014, 12:45:54 PM »

Now let's have those email addresses!

I seem to recall that all the administration email addresses and phone numbers were posted in one of the threads during Shaka Watch, but I'm too lazy to dig through 2000 pages to find it.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2014, 01:07:13 PM »
When Crean left Taylor and Williams had no interest in talking to Buzz. Our current recruits seem more willing to talk to Wojo.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2014, 01:18:42 PM »
Given that people are pointing out that the article was written last Friday and they were going to talk this weekend, do we have any middle-aged men stalking every Twitter word Ahmed posts?  Any, "I'm all in" Tweets, which clearly can only mean 1 thing in the mind of a teenage boy, that he is clearly all in on Wojo's program and sticking with Marquette?

That, and Saturday Ahmed Hill posted an Instagram picture of himself wearing a Marquette University lanyard.........

http://instagram.com/p/mbac9TB_8x/#
We Are Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2014, 02:10:21 PM »

And that foot is us!

I thought it was a big toe thing, like Sgt. Hulka

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2014, 02:18:51 PM »

Respect the process

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2014, 02:22:06 PM »
When Crean left Taylor and Williams had no interest in talking to Buzz. Our current recruits seem more willing to talk to Wojo.

Well, Taylor did meet with Buzz but he wasn't able to keep him.  They met on that Friday, Taylor said he was open to talking to Brent but didn't know how Brent would be as a head coach.  Ultimately he left.

Bob Hurley said:  "He was going to go to Marquette because of Tom Crean. Now, my player and Marquette University don't have the same connection. I don't hold this personally. This is not a Tom Crean and Bob Hurley problem. This is about Tyshawn Taylor and the next step in a 17-year-old's life."

"When it comes down to it, Coach Williams has only been a basketball coach for one year," Hurley said. "We sat down for a couple hours, he talked to Ty and he spoke to me for an hour and a half. And at the end of that, he still had only coached for one year."

"Looking at Marquette's roster, there's going to be a big logjam now in the backcourt but we kind of figured Tom Crean would be able to handle a situation like this, but we are talking about a guy who coached at the University of New Orleans for one year, and that's his head coaching experience."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2014, 02:26:02 PM »
The Tyshawn Taylor situation had nothing to do with Buzz Williams and his lack of experience.
It was all about Kansas taking the opening that was there when Crean left to get a player, and Taylor (and Hurley) making the correct assessment that Kansas > Marquette.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2014, 02:26:59 PM »
The Tyshawn Taylor situation had nothing to do with Buzz Williams and his lack of experience.
It was all about Kansas taking the opening that was there when Crean left to get a player, and Taylor (and Hurley) making the correct assessment that Kansas > Marquette.

Bob Hurley and Tyshawn Taylor....YOU ARE LIARS

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2014, 02:52:33 PM »
Bob Hurley and Tyshawn Taylor....YOU ARE LIARS

Point plankn.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2014, 03:01:13 PM »

+1. Common knowledge that Kansas was Ty's dream school. They never offered but had a scollie open up in the spring with an early entry into the NBA. Marquette had no chance no matter who was our coach. Chicos would flunk a lie detector test if he said otherwise.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2014, 03:10:50 PM »
+1. Common knowledge that Kansas was Ty's dream school. They never offered but had a scollie open up in the spring with an early entry into the NBA. Marquette had no chance no matter who was our coach. Chicos would flunk a lie detector test if he said otherwise.

Bob Hurley knows what he's doing.  I bet if TC was still at MU that spring BH would have secured a TT release for 2 players to be named later. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2014, 03:23:09 PM »
That, and Saturday Ahmed Hill posted an Instagram picture of himself wearing a Marquette University lanyard.........

http://instagram.com/p/mbac9TB_8x/#

Boom. Wojo probably overnighted it with FedEx first class shipping.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2014, 03:25:33 PM »
Boom. Wojo probably overnighted it with FedEx first class shipping.

One of those fat, thick SEC Specials?

Death on call

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2014, 03:43:11 PM »
Well, Taylor did meet with Buzz but he wasn't able to keep him.  They met on that Friday, Taylor said he was open to talking to Brent but didn't know how Brent would be as a head coach.  Ultimately he left.

Bob Hurley said:  "He was going to go to Marquette because of Tom Crean. Now, my player and Marquette University don't have the same connection. I don't hold this personally. This is not a Tom Crean and Bob Hurley problem. This is about Tyshawn Taylor and the next step in a 17-year-old's life."

"When it comes down to it, Coach Williams has only been a basketball coach for one year," Hurley said. "We sat down for a couple hours, he talked to Ty and he spoke to me for an hour and a half. And at the end of that, he still had only coached for one year."

"Looking at Marquette's roster, there's going to be a big logjam now in the backcourt but we kind of figured Tom Crean would be able to handle a situation like this, but we are talking about a guy who coached at the University of New Orleans for one year, and that's his head coaching experience."

I've never understood what Bob Hurley did wrong here. He did what was in the best interest of Tyshawn Taylor. That is Hurley's job and nothing else. Hurley owed nothing to MU or Brent Williams or Tom Crean. Taylor was his responsibility and that's it. I have tremendous respect for Bob Hurley.
We Are Marquette

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2014, 03:47:01 PM »
I've never understood what Bob Hurley did wrong here. He did what was in the best interest of Tyshawn Taylor. That is Hurley's job and nothing else. Hurley owed nothing to MU or Brent Williams or Tom Crean. Taylor was his responsibility and that's it. I have tremendous respect for Bob Hurley.

He should have understood MU's policy with releases, and not gone to the media right away. That's what he did wrong.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2014, 03:47:55 PM »

I don't disagree.  People were ticked off, obviously, but he was TT's adviser on this and that's what he advised.  Brent was totally unknown quantity.

The problem I have with the revisionist history about KU and others is that suggests if TC was still at MU, then TT wasn't coming.  That couldn't be further from the truth.  TT was coming to MU.  A coaching change happened, that opened the doors for him to leave.  If TC doesn't go, TT is playing for Marquette.  One domino had to fall before the other, but it appears some want to change the order of things.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2014, 03:51:13 PM »
Between this and the Henry Ellenson thread some people have very quickly developed a Vadger-esque sense of entitlement about what they think the team needs and our new coach.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2014, 04:00:07 PM »

I think his only fault was going to the press and talking as though MU was holding Taylor hostage, instead of letting the process work itself through.

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2014, 04:06:02 PM »
Not to mention playing time was greater for Tyshawn at Kansas that year.  He immediately got minutes, not sure he would have at Marquette.  Elite program + PT?  Can't blame him for his decision.

feedback