'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Insight into how Recruiting Works..Nowadays..  (Read 20656 times)

El Duderino

• Team Captain
Re: Insight into how Recruiting Works..Nowadays..
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2010, 12:38:12 AM »
End of story?  Oh...OK....

My point is that college basketball is a cut-throat and shady business.  To pretend that MU doesn't participate in some of this shadiness is simply wrong-headed.

Seems to me that in today's world of AAU ball and college basketball so intertwined, if college coaches don't push things to the edge without doing things that are technically against the rules, they'll often be left behind by coaches that will.

College coaches need to do tons of back scratching and ass kissing of successful AAU programs, then also make kids feel that they should join our college basketball program.

Crean is now the head coach in a state that regularly churns out numerous 4-5 star recruits. A kid at the level of say Vander Blue coming out of a Wisconsin high school is a big deal and feels like a must get for a UW or Marquette because it's easier to get recruits to stay close to home than to go out of state and get a recruit to come to a school far away. That's a big reason why Crean left. Indiana not only has more more tradition, that state is vastly superior to Wisconsin as a recruiting base. It's partly why Hoosier fans place such high demands on the head coaches, figuring that if those coaches can't recruit well with a recruiting base like Indiana to start off with, it's time for them to go.

Now it looks like Crean is finally having some recruiting success at keeping high end Indiana kids to stay home. We'll see if it leads to winning games in the Big Ten. Crean wouldn't have got those kids to come here if he was still at Marquette.

I don't like how he left and thus enjoyed for awhile his failures at Indiana, but by now don't care anymore. I'd much rather have Buzz here at Marquette than Crean, so i'm glad Tommy went to Indiana. If he starts winning there or keeps losing, i'll just yawn either way. Crean ended up doing MU a favor by quitting, it brought us Buzz.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2010, 01:01:33 AM »
Now it looks like Crean is finally having some recruiting success at keeping high end Indiana kids to stay home. We'll see if it leads to winning games in the Big Ten.

And therein lies the problem, it's still two more years before these kids get on campus.  Will IU put up with two more losing seasons so that Crean can get his prize recruits on campus (which most think he should have gotten already)?  Chicos says yes.  I say no.  Only time will tell.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2010, 01:04:18 AM »
And therein lies the problem, it's still two more years before these kids get on campus.  Will IU put up with two more losing seasons so that Crean can get his prize recruits on campus (which most think he should have gotten already)?  Chicos says yes.  I say no.  Only time will tell.

It's not just me, it's the IU folks that matter that say it.  I don't know why this is so hard to process.

I look forward to winning the bet

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2010, 01:25:25 AM »

I think if he can string together a couple of really good recruiting classes, IU will let Crean stick around to see if he can coach those higher end recruits to success on the court, even if Indiana struggles again this year and somewhat the following year. I would if i ran Indiana because if they fired Crean after say this year or the following year, that can cause more turmoil as some potentially good young players transfer because they weren't recruited by the new coach coming in.

Obviously though it was crucial for Crean to have finally started to have better success recruiting as he's done so far of late because more losing this year without the promise of incoming high end talent would likely have meant the end for Crean.

Plus, the Big Ten IMO has improved of late by better coaches joining the conference between Tubby, Matta, and Painter to join Izzo, Ryan, and Weber. For Crean to have any hope of not continuing to be a bottom feeder or say 6th-8th place team, he badly needed to significantly improve his recruiting.

I never thought Crean was anything special as a bench and X's/O's coach, but he's good enough if he can continue to land 4-5 star kids largely from Indiana.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2010, 08:22:58 AM »

Put me in the "yes" column as well.

IU fans love winning, but Crean is an excellent salesman, so he will continue to "sell" the idea that IU is doing things the "right way" and that the wins will come.

IU fans are conceited about winning, but also conceited that their program does things the "right way". Crean is accomplishing the latter, and will continue to promise the former.

That will buy him the 2 years you refer to. After that, he'll need some wins to back up the hype. He might be gone in 3 or 4 years... but he won't be gone in 2.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2010, 08:32:59 AM »
I recall saying several months ago that the next 12-18 months would be critical, not as much on the court (although he is going  to need to start winning some games), but with recruiting. With the 2012 class looking solid, I think ts safe to say he bought himself some rope. Assuming they all show up, etc., he will be fine for a few years yet. Take a player or two out of that class, and he would/will be toast.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2010, 09:28:45 AM »
He didn't buy himself any rope as there was no rope needed to buy.  Again, why is this so difficult for some of you?  The university has a 10 year plan on this and EVERYONE that is of consequence knows how long it's going to take.  He most certainly isn't toast if one of these kids doesn't show up.

Don't let the hatorade cloud the reality of what their plan is.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2010, 10:08:07 AM »
He didn't buy himself any rope as there was no rope needed to buy.  Again, why is this so difficult for some of you?  The university has a 10 year plan on this and EVERYONE that is of consequence knows how long it's going to take.  He most certainly isn't toast if one of these kids doesn't show up.

I WANT to believe that, because it does sound probable.

But, let's face it, if he had another bad season without some strong prospects on the horizon, the grumblings with the IU fanatics would start.

If the fans start to turn on him, the grumblings could become loud enough in the next 2-3 years that IU would be forced to make a change before the 10 year plan is fully executed.

Every school has a "10 year plan", but things have to go correctly in the first 5 years in order to reach the second 5 years.

I don't think a University president and AD would brave the slings and arrows for 5 or 6 years of poor performance if Crean wasn't showing some progress (which the new recruiting class does).

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2010, 10:11:04 AM »
The people of consequence can have all the 10 year plans they want, but if the real people of consequence, those who pay the bills, get restless enough, they are going to have no choice but to come up with a new plan.  I would suggest at this point that is unlikely, but as I said if that class of 2012 doesn't quite come together, they lose other players, or something like that and they continue to lose games with regularity they aren't going to stick with a guy doing a bad job against high expectations, simply because the current plan calls for them to do so. Having a 10 year plan is great, but if the reality of their plan is that they have a bad plan, they will need to make changes.

BTW, Kelvin Sampson, or no Kelvin Sampson, if it takes 10 years to turn around Indiana, a place where he will be able to land many more consistent classes then at MU for all the obvious reasons, then frankly, he sucks. I thought we were supposed to be able to judge coaches after 5 years anyway. Cripes, Baylor was in the NCAA tournament 4 years after that nightmare, and IU's problems weren't anywhere close to what happened there. Not to mention the inherent differences of Baylor vs. IU.

St. John's is already better than IU, can DePaul be far behind?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2010, 10:34:57 AM »
Just to be clear, could you state if you believe Buzz operates in violation of NCAA rules? Or does he operate within rules, and just go in the grey area that may seem sleazy to the outsider?

This is a great question, since now I am told by a poster here that there are a good 10-20 people on this board who are well aware of the stupid things Buzz has done in the past year or so, yet they sit idly by while Buzz puts MU's program at risk, or so they would have you believe with their veiled accusations and innuendo.

If you are aware of recruiting violations, and you care about MU's program, you have a responsibility to bring that information forward so it can be dealt with. If the guys is a scum bag, I have no doubt, almost everyone would like to know about it and get him out of here.

If you are not aware of NCAA violations, but have heard unsubstantiated rumors, or have an issue with things Buzz has done that everyone already knows about, then you have a responsibility to shut the hell up, and quit with your childish veiled references in a not so veiled attempt to discredit the guy, I assume because of some sort of jealousy or disappointment in the upgrade he has been over our previous coach.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2010, 11:16:40 AM »
Just to be clear, I said that there are things that make me squirm and I've listed SOME of them.

Signing a kid to a National Letter of Intent and then dumping him a few weeks later for another player, that makes me squirm.

Recruiting kids after they have already verbally committed to other schools, that makes me squirm.

Etc. 

Are those against the rules....nope.   Are AAU kids going to a college against the rules?  Nope.  That makes Ners squirm.  Some of things that we've done makes me squirm.  It's a squirmfest.

Of course there are some other things as well that make me squirm....just as Dwyane Wade videos at IU make people here squirm.  Go figure.

I'm inspired.  Instead of whiling away my hours on MUScoop, I'm going to invent a new dance called the squirm, do a Utube video, link it to a website with t-shirts and other merchandise, and become a millionaire.

See you later, suckers!!!!!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2010, 11:42:39 AM »

Wow. Even the comrades most loyal to the cause in Mother Russia wouldn't have put up with a 10 year plan. I know Rome wasn't built in one day, but c'mon.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2010, 12:04:48 PM »
I WANT to believe that, because it does sound probable.

But, let's face it, if he had another bad season without some strong prospects on the horizon, the grumblings with the IU fanatics would start.

If the fans start to turn on him, the grumblings could become loud enough in the next 2-3 years that IU would be forced to make a change before the 10 year plan is fully executed.

Every school has a "10 year plan", but things have to go correctly in the first 5 years in order to reach the second 5 years.

I don't think a University president and AD would brave the slings and arrows for 5 or 6 years of poor performance if Crean wasn't showing some progress (which the new recruiting class does).

A disastrous season, yes...that changes things, but that's not going to happen unless they have another crippling injury. Trust me when I tell you he got a full pass last year because of the injury situation.  They are showing a ton of progress and the reality of it is simple, they started from scratch (literally) and the powers over there are in it for the long haul.

They have some major talent coming in and more beyond in those classes.   

The plan was simple and straight forward.

FIX the academic and off the court issue mess....Accomplished already (ahead of schedule)
Rebuild recruiting infrastructure in the state...Accomplished already (on schedule)
Become a post season team.....will happen this year with NIT or next at the latest  (TBD)
Compete in upper division of Big Ten....TBD but expectations are year 5
Compete for Big Ten titles...TBD

I've even seen this talked about in terms of actual years to accomplish each of these.  Based on what I've seen and talked to people abut, they are ahead of schedule in some facets and on schedule in others.  Not behind in any of them.

Where did I hear or see this stuff?  I don't think it would take much sleuth work to figure it out if you see who some of the power brokers are in the Big Ten Network, heads of some of the Sports networks and their IU connections \ connections to my industry.  I'll leave it at that, but it's not hard to figure out.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2010, 12:17:43 PM »
The people of consequence can have all the 10 year plans they want, but if the real people of consequence, those who pay the bills, get restless enough, they are going to have no choice but to come up with a new plan.  I would suggest at this point that is unlikely, but as I said if that class of 2012 doesn't quite come together, they lose other players, or something like that and they continue to lose games with regularity they aren't going to stick with a guy doing a bad job against high expectations, simply because the current plan calls for them to do so. Having a 10 year plan is great, but if the reality of their plan is that they have a bad plan, they will need to make changes.

BTW, Kelvin Sampson, or no Kelvin Sampson, if it takes 10 years to turn around Indiana, a place where he will be able to land many more consistent classes then at MU for all the obvious reasons, then frankly, he sucks. I thought we were supposed to be able to judge coaches after 5 years anyway. Cripes, Baylor was in the NCAA tournament 4 years after that nightmare, and IU's problems weren't anywhere close to what happened there. Not to mention the inherent differences of Baylor vs. IU.

St. John's is already better than IU, can DePaul be far behind?

Nowhere did I say it took 10 years to turn IU around.  I said they had a 10 year plan....completely different. 
In fact, TOTALLY different.  IU's 10 year plan is to contend for national championships.  IU certainly plans on turning things around well before then.

St. John's is starting this year with 11 Seniors....IU started under Crean with 1 returning player, a walk-on who scored 8 career points.  I hope you understand starting points.

St. John's wasn't on probation...IU was.  St. John's has been in the doldrums for a long time and they are going to be allowed to take risks that IU was not allowed to the last few years....that will change as IU gets farther away from their scandal.

The vast number of IU fans are on cloud 9 right now knowing what is on the horizon.  They will suffer through an 8th or 9th place finish this year and not bat an eye....that is the reality.  Comparing IU's situation to Memphis, or St. John's or whatever is pointless because there are so many differences in where they started and what they were trying to accomplish.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2010, 12:17:54 PM »
A disastrous season, yes...that changes things, but that's not going to happen unless they have another crippling injury. Trust me when I tell you he got a full pass last year because of the injury situation.  They are showing a ton of progress and the reality of it is simple, they started from scratch (literally) and the powers over there are in it for the long haul.

FIX the academic and off the court issue mess....Accomplished already (ahead of schedule)
Rebuild recruiting infrastructure in the state...Accomplished already (on schedule)
Become a post season team.....will happen this year with NIT or next at the latest  (TBD)

I've even seen this talked about in terms of actual years to accomplish each of these.  Based on what I've seen and talked to people abut, they are ahead of schedule in some facets and on schedule in others.  Not behind in any of them.

Where did I hear or see this stuff?  I don't think it would take much sleuth work to figure it out if you see who some of the power brokers are in the Big Ten Network, heads of some of the Sports networks and their IU connections \ connections to my industry.  I'll leave it at that, but it's not hard to figure out.

You really are a piece...precious.  All of your soures are always in the closet, shadowy figures..but never really, revealed???  Why not just put it in writing Chicos?  Why do we always have to do "sleuth work" to "figure it out?"  Here's a reason why:  Because what you write is complete b.s. and fabricated and cannot be corroborated.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2010, 12:40:45 PM »
Ners, you want to have a beer sometime and I'm happy to tell you, not on a message board.  But you're right, someone that works daily with the Big Ten Network, Fox Sports, ESPN, the NCAA offices (located just up the road from IU), friends at the IndyStar and Bloomington Herald, or the dozen or so folks that I went to school there with that are in strong sports positions around the country and very connected to IU.  Yup, you are right.  You got me there.  It's all made up. Illusions of grandeur

Next thing you know you'll be saying that kids are going to certain schools because they hired the AAU assistant coach as a video coordinator...oh wait.   

Let's have that beer Ners.  We can talk about the Cowboys, Marquette and your other favorite topic...IU.  Maybe we can drive down to Plymouth and get some stock tips and talk Angus with the Black Swan \ Canadian Dimes.  It will be a hoot.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2010, 01:00:26 PM »

Totally fair.

I still think he's going to get it right down there... but I know that a lot of people on this board are going to hate me for saying that.

I just think the guy is a workoholic with a big ego and a big budget. That program will win... just a question of how much, and if they can win in the tournament.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2010, 01:35:16 PM »
A disastrous season, yes...that changes things, but that's not going to happen unless they have another crippling injury. Trust me when I tell you he got a full pass last year because of the injury situation.  They are showing a ton of progress and the reality of it is simple, they started from scratch (literally) and the powers over there are in it for the long haul.

Become a post season team.....will happen this year with NIT or next at the latest  (TBD)

I've even seen this talked about in terms of actual years to accomplish each of these.  Based on what I've seen and talked to people abut, they are ahead of schedule in some facets and on schedule in others.  Not behind in any of them.

Where did I hear or see this stuff?  I don't think it would take much sleuth work to figure it out if you see who some of the power brokers are in the Big Ten Network, heads of some of the Sports networks and their IU connections \ connections to my industry.  I'll leave it at that, but it's not hard to figure out.

If the job TC has done so far at IU exceeds or meets their every expectation I want to be an Indiana University employee in my next life. Talk about heaven on earth.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 01:37:28 PM by Lennys Tap »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2010, 02:00:20 PM »
Ners, you want to have a beer sometime and I'm happy to tell you, not on a message board.  But you're right, someone that works daily with the Big Ten Network, Fox Sports, ESPN, the NCAA offices (located just up the road from IU), friends at the IndyStar and Bloomington Herald, or the dozen or so folks that I went to school there with that are in strong sports positions around the country and very connected to IU.  Yup, you are right.  You got me there.  It's all made up. Illusions of grandeur

Next thing you know you'll be saying that kids are going to certain schools because they hired the AAU assistant coach as a video coordinator...oh wait.  

Let's have that beer Ners.  We can talk about the Cowboys, Marquette and your other favorite topic...IU.  Maybe we can drive down to Plymouth and get some stock tips and talk Angus with the Black Swan \ Canadian Dimes.  It will be a hoot.

Sounds great Chicos...I'm going to be at the MU Syracuse game.  You should come in town for that game, and we'll get out an hash this out.  I still don't see what the fear is in putting the names of your sources on a message board?  It's not libel if they said what you write..so why not?  It's not like you are revealing any "bad" information...in fact it is quite the opposite..stating the people in the know with regard to IU are very pleased with the progress thus far.  What's the rub about revelaing who those people are??

And you keep mocking the vdeo coordinator thing...ironic at minimum..cause I'm sure if Buzz did something like that..you'd be all over it.  Then if he took it a step further and offered some kid a walk on slot that was the son of a board of  directors memeber of an AAU squad..you'd be crying 'SQUIRMY."  The reality is that it is highly, highly, highly unlikely that siad video coordinator and walk on were the best options for those positions.  Classic quid pro quo
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 02:03:34 PM by Ners »
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2010, 02:09:19 PM »
If the job TC has done so far at IU exceeds or meets their every expectation I want to be an Indiana University employee in my next life. Talk about heaven on earth.

You obviously have no clue how bad it was, and that's why you make comments like you do.  More than half the stuff that was going on hasn't even been made public.  So yes, they are pleased with how things are going considering what a cesspool it was.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2010, 02:15:47 PM »

And you keep mocking the vdeo coordinator thing...ironic at minimum..cause I'm sure if Buzz did something like that..you'd be all over it.  Then if he took it a step further and offered some kid a walk on slot that was the son of a board of  directors memeber of an AAU squad..you'd be crying 'SQUIRMY."  The reality is that it is highly, highly, highly unlikely that siad video coordinator and walk on were the best options for those positions.  Classic quid pro quo

If Buzz wants to hire an AAU coach to be his video coordinator, God Bless him.  I say go do it.  The Video coordinator doesn't recruit, can't coach, etc which is why this entire thread is so laughable.  So they hired a guy to be the video coordinator....OH MY GOD!!  Let the pipeline of recruits start now.  I mean, seriously, think what you are saying.  Now, if he was hired as a person that could actually recruit, actually be on the court to coach, etc...different story.  But that's not what is going on.

Why not put the names on the board, because I choose not to.  Pretty simple.  I can't make it any more clearer for you.  Why don't you fly up this weekend, I'll be there.  You can watch the Cowboys get slaughtered by the Packers on Sunday and take in the MU game on Saturday.  Date?    Sorry, Syracuse is out...that's the beginning of Super Bowl week in Dallas and I won't be able to get to Milwaukee.  Let's make this weekend the date.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2010, 02:16:20 PM »
You obviously have no clue how bad it was, and that's why you make comments like you do.  More than half the stuff that was going on hasn't even been made public.  So yes, they are pleased with how things are going considering what a cesspool it was.

Of course it wasn't made known to the public!  Come on Chicos..you came on here several months ago trying to say IU was banned from post season play..and that wasn't part of their punishment...their punishment basically was reduced phone calls to recruits and losing 1 scholarship for 2008-2009.  Hardly a death penalty.  What hurt was when Crean was named head coach and he couldn't retain some of the talented players at IU..such as Jordan Crawford...and several other transfers that took place..and then the JUCO's he did try to bring in were scrubs..

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2010, 02:24:17 PM »

You left out one "benchmark" that TC has already exceeded since arriving at IU - the number of times his team has totally quit on him. I'd put the number at close to 10 last year, as they pretty much mailed in the last half of the Big 10 season. How many of those per season do your sources at Indiana want/expect per year? And please don't talk about injuries. I'm not talking about how bad they were (really bad). I'm talking about their lack of effort (much, much worse).

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2010, 02:43:03 PM »

In that case how did IU manage to get off almost scott free? Somehow when I think of something so horrid it takes 5-10 years to dig out from I'm thinking something that gets a little more than a slap on the wrist from the gendarmes. Also seems odd to me that the NCAA would hold back some of IU's violations from the public.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Seriously Ners, I don't even know how to respond to you anymore
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2010, 06:39:25 PM »
Of course it wasn't made known to the public!  Come on Chicos..you came on here several months ago trying to say IU was banned from post season play..and that wasn't part of their punishment...their punishment basically was reduced phone calls to recruits and losing 1 scholarship for 2008-2009.  Hardly a death penalty.  What hurt was when Crean was named head coach and he couldn't retain some of the talented players at IU..such as Jordan Crawford...and several other transfers that took place..and then the JUCO's he did try to bring in were scrubs..

They were put on 3 years probation and most of the players left BEFORE the NCAA decided not to put them on the post season ban, effectively a ban by defacto summary.  The NCAA's decision was released on November 25th, long long long after school had started and players had left because the assumption was the NCAA was going to put them on the ban.  Furthermore, no one knew if it was going to be a 1 year, 2 year, 3 year ban (no one expected no ban on the postseason)....not knowing did as much damage as anything.  The mere idea of having it hang over their head that it was going to happen did the job and cratered the program. Don't believe me, why don't you ask their transfers and kids that were being recruited.  That's reality, you can continue to live in your hateland and pretend to know what you're talking about, but you simply don't....not on this subject.  I'm sorry, you simply have no clue what you are talking about on this subject.  Your emotional hatred blinds you to common sense and facts of the situation.

Just a few examples for you from recruits after it was learned of the NCAA findings but BEFORE the announcement that no ban would happen....about 6 months before.  Comments from transfers during the Summer ( a few months later) also exist that talk of the same thing...the uncertainty of the punishment and the decision to stay was not worth the risk of waiting to find out the severity.

Whether Ebanks attends is part of the uncertainty surrounding Indiana after Wednesday's allegations of "major" recruiting violations. Among the possible penalties is a postseason ban, which could devastate recruiting.

If IU is banned from the NCAA tournament, current high school juniors who made non-binding oral commitments to IU or are considering playing for IU could decide to go elsewhere. Even the four seniors who signed a binding letter of intent in November could ask to be released.

"I'm really concerned," said Stephan Van Treese, the state's top-ranked junior and one of the nationally ranked players in his class considering Indiana.

"If they have violations that they can't go to the tournament, why would I want to go there? The main thing I want to do when I go to college is play in the tournament. I think a lot of players feel the same way. A lot of people won't want to go there if they can't go to the postseason."

"I think it's tough to convince a top-level prospect who has other options to go to a school where there's a good chance you won't get to participate in the postseason," said Jerry Meyer, national recruiting analyst for Rivals.com.

"Rival recruiters would have a field day going in and talking not about only sanctions and postseason bans, but the coach's job security and, 'Do you want to go to a program that functions that way?,' and pointing out past histories," Bob Gibbons said.

Yes Ners, please tell me how IU was "merely" slapped.  You have no f'ing clue what you are talking about or the impact on the program leading up to the actual penalty phase.  NONE...ZERO CLUE.  God help us if MU is ever put in that situation where we wait 6 months DURING recruiting season for the governing body of the sport to decide if there is a penalty, what it is and how severe it will be.  Just imagine what that uncertainty would do and the decimating affect it would have on recruiting.   Please, grab a clue!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 06:46:33 PM by ChicosBailBonds »