'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz says on radio show  (Read 23622 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Buzz says on radio show
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2010, 05:26:27 PM »
First, I saw Cords reading the old Rivals board in his office before we had a meeting there during the '03 season.

Second, Buzz was pretty pissed last year at the Chicago tip off dinner when someone had leaked that MU was practicing at Whitney Young (they weren't).  I think he even mentioned that he had talked to a NCAA compliance officer that day, telling him that that wasn't a good idea.

Third, I don't think games are necessarily won or lost by what's on a message board.  It's like saying a game was won or lost by the officials.  I remember the Izzo story about TC and his paranoia.  Before a practice at an NCAA tournament site, TC was up in the rafters searching for secret cameras.  Izzo finally told him that whoever they were playing had 20 game tapes on them anyway, it wasn't like they didn't know what was coming anyway.  So Izzo told him to quit searching.   You might learn some information that way, but I don't think it wins or loses games.

I4 was just redirecting all of the cameras on himself.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2010, 05:30:28 PM »
So, you just choose to ignore BMA's warnings?  Can't believe anyone would takethat approach.

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2010, 05:33:24 PM »
ok, if what's posted on message boards can affect opposing team game plans, why not start posting bogus stuff ... like, say, Lazar broke his leg and MU is going to start four guards tomorrow night?  Let G-Town prepare for something that is not true.  Does that create a surprise for them and give us an edge?

This just in: Marquette has been running the Princeton offense in practice this week!  ;)

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2010, 05:49:30 PM »
I remember the Izzo story about TC and his paranoia.  Before a practice at an NCAA tournament site, TC was up in the rafters searching for secret cameras.  Izzo finally told him that whoever they were playing had 20 game tapes on them anyway, it wasn't like they didn't know what was coming anyway.  So Izzo told him to quit searching.  You might learn some information that way, but I don't think it wins or loses games.

That's actually a story about Crean's stupidity

connie

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2010, 07:15:55 PM »
I really wish the stupid PA announcer would stop referring to the student section as the best in the nation, because it's actually pretty lame!!

+1

It just sounds silly (the announcement--not the students).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 07:20:03 PM by connie »
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2010, 07:24:17 PM »

No the student section is fine.  The Bradley Center is lame.

...but if we play elsewhere, like if they actually put an arena on campus somehow, we can't drink beer during the games.  Decisions, decisions.

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2010, 07:32:12 PM »
The PA announcer is nuts.  At the NCState game, we were sure he was high on both legal and illegal substances.  Last Saturday, my friends thought he'd had way too much caffeine before the game.  He needs to chill out a little.
I was impressed with the student numbers on Saturday.  Crowd could have been a little louder, though.
Our seats are way up in the upper deck.  Seems many people there don't know about standing until we score our first basket.  I'm waiting for the people behind us to ask us to sit down.

Maybe we can hire that guy who does the And 1 Mixtape Tours so he can say things like "Oh baby" and "The Professah!"

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2010, 07:56:28 PM »
You'd be wrong.  If it were up to most coaches, message boards either wouldn't exist or would be so tightly moderated that no one would post. 

MU has already been involved in the recruitment of multiple players that have changed their minds on schools because of message board comments.  MU has had games in the past where unpublished injury information and game plan information was leaked via a message board to the opposing team.

Coaches absolutely do know what happens on the board, and for the most part they dislike them immensely.

Please. Every school has message boards with the exact same stuff as ours. Boards are a fact of life today.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2010, 09:19:34 PM »
How could 25+ comments be posted before acknowledging the hilarity of this one?! It is classic. Take a moment and envision the scene of students hanging upside down over the court. I'm glad I work from home, as I would be disturbing others with my laughter.

But how would they drink? HOW WOULD THEY DRINK?!?!?

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2010, 09:32:02 PM »
...but if we play elsewhere, like if they actually put an arena on campus somehow, we can't drink beer during the games.  Decisions, decisions.

Not necessarily. MU is not a dry campus. The Annex is owned and operated by the school and serves beer. That said, is the AL alcohol-free?

I've always liked the idea of having just ONE single game--don't care if it's preseason, conference, whatever--in the Al McGuire Center and open it up to half students (those crazy enough to camp out) and half season ticket holders picked in a lottery (or just ALL students). It would be so cool to pack that thing full for a men's game. Make a really big deal out of it. Just once a year. Obviously, it's wishful thinking, doesn't work with season ticket holders, etc etc. A kid can dream, though.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2010, 11:27:00 PM »
Not necessarily. MU is not a dry campus. The Annex is owned and operated by the school and serves beer. That said, is the AL alcohol-free?

I've always liked the idea of having just ONE single game--don't care if it's preseason, conference, whatever--in the Al McGuire Center and open it up to half students (those crazy enough to camp out) and half season ticket holders picked in a lottery (or just ALL students). It would be so cool to pack that thing full for a men's game. Make a really big deal out of it. Just once a year. Obviously, it's wishful thinking, doesn't work with season ticket holders, etc etc. A kid can dream, though.

speaking of which...St. John's, a fellow BE team that plays in an NBA arena, plays a couple of games each season in their on-campus arena. In fact, Marquette is going to be playing the Red Storm there.

http://www.stjohns.edu/campuses/enhancements/carnesecca

I wonder if the Big East has a stipulation on the # of seats which is why MU can't play a home game at the AL.

Carnesecca seats 6,000 > The AL seats 4,000

http://www.gomarquette.com/facilities/mcguirecenter.html
SS Marquette

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2010, 08:45:33 AM »
It's interesting to me that Marquette's athletic programs are funded primarily by the basketball program (and the B&G Fund money it brings in), thereby making it extremely imperative that the revenue of the program be maximized, yet they have foregone the 2nd exhibition game the past few seasons in favor of a closed scrimmage.

I agree that a campus site would be awesome, but the ultimate price might be close to nine-figures when you consider the traffic re-routing, acquisition of off-campus housing, razing and rebuilding of student housing (on and off campus), building of additional parking structures, etc. (and I haven't even gotten to the costs of building the facility.)  Marquette and the City of Milwaukee just doesn't have that kind of money.

Let's put it this way... if it made financial sense, it would have been done already.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2010, 08:52:42 AM »
That said, there were talks to renovate the BC a few years back.  It will happen.  It's just a question of when the Bucks want to/can pony up the money.  Patience grasshoppers.

The Bucks won't pay for major renovations, if they do it would be a waste of money. The BC isn't cost effective to renovate to make it into a profitable NBA arena. They will need a new arena, whether that happens or not time will tell.

mikeDEANmeminger

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2010, 09:42:44 AM »

I wonder if the Big East has a stipulation on the # of seats which is why MU can't play a home game at the AL.

I know the Horizon league has a seat minimum...I believe it is 5,000. That is why UW-Milwaukee no longer plays games at the Klotsche (sp??) and UW-Green Bay plays at the Resch and not at their brand new on campus facility that the women play in

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2010, 09:50:13 AM »

How much do you think it would cost MU, in lost revenue, to play a game at the AL?  $300K-500K, more/less?

(Hypothetically speaking, if there were no other obstacles to playing.)
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

🏀

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2010, 11:11:52 AM »

Alcohol cannot be served at an college owned arena.

EDITED: I may be wrong.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 11:28:14 AM by marqptm »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2010, 11:23:47 AM »

What about Xavier?

I've been told they sell booze there, and I think the Cintas center is on campus (although maybe technically not "school owned").

EDIT:

Well, the Cintas Center is on campus and definitely serves beer.

http://www.cintascenter.com/a.cfm#alcohol

It sure looks like it's owned by the school, but maybe it's technically owned by somebody else.

http://www.cintascenter.com/arena/
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 11:35:55 AM by 2002mualum »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2010, 11:25:39 AM »
Maybe we can hire that guy who does the And 1 Mixtape Tours so he can say things like "Oh baby" and "The Professah!"

That would be amazing.  I loved the Professor.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2010, 11:26:14 AM »

I don't know who owns the Carrier Dome but they serve alcohol.  It was also up to the U of Minnesota whether or not they wanted to serve alcohol or not.

http://www.startribune.com/local/44612457.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUjc8LDyiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2010, 11:29:12 AM »
speaking of which...St. John's, a fellow BE team that plays in an NBA arena, plays a couple of games each season in their on-campus arena. In fact, Marquette is going to be playing the Red Storm there.

http://www.stjohns.edu/campuses/enhancements/carnesecca

I can't think that this is the case.  Villanova's on-campus court is tiny.  I can't imagine it seats more than 6,000.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2010, 11:56:04 AM »
I can't think that this is the case.  Villanova's on-campus court is tiny.  I can't imagine it seats more than 6,000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pavilion

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2010, 12:12:05 PM »
Cintas Center at XU does sell beer. 
So does the football and basketball venues at UC (both on-campus).

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2010, 01:08:41 PM »
It might be that alcohol can't be served at an NCAA sponsored event.   The BC doesn't serve beer during the NCAA tourney.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2010, 01:14:40 PM »
I believe it's up to the school/venue to decide on beer sales.

as an example, the kohl hole doesn't sell beer but has it available in the suites.

any tourney game is dry.

feedback