[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz says on radio show  (Read 23618 times)

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Re: Buzz says on radio show
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2010, 01:40:48 PM »
Not saying that didn't happen, but it sure is flabbergasting.   That somehow one of the scores of arm-chair quarterbacks actually had previously unknown, unobservable from game tape knowledge that another team could use to a winning benefit .. that's downright amazing.

I think the injury angle is a more likely result....  X student sees Jimmy Butler in a walking boot and mentions it on Ye Olde Scoop. That would  be info an opposing coach would want to know, but could not have learned through normal channels.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2010, 01:49:25 PM »
So it's a good bet that Crean knows I dislike him and have called him out as a phoney?

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2010, 01:53:45 PM »
So it's a good bet that Crean knows I dislike him and have called him out as a phoney?

My neighbor's pet spider knows that and he didn't even know what basketball is until a few moments ago.  He also got a little green in the face when I mentioned it... sick of hearing it maybe? :P
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2010, 02:02:51 PM »
Not saying that didn't happen, but it sure is flabbergasting.   That somehow one of the scores of arm-chair quarterbacks actually had previously unknown, unobservable from game tape knowledge that another team could use to a winning benefit .. that's downright amazing.

I'm talking things that wouldn't be available from viewing game tape because they aren't in it.  Plays that hadn't been unveiled yet, game plans that hadn't been used yet, defenses the team hadn't shown...all the sorts of things that you can learn about at practice.

IWB has told the story before, but one of the more well known ones occurred back in the C-USA days.  Remember when they used to do giveaways where you could watch a practice or go travel with the team to an away game?  The guy that won the drawing found out information that was previously unknown regarding injuries and game plans for that particular opponent.  He went back to his hotel and posted about what he had seen, which got picked up by the other team's message board, and eventually made it's way into the hands of the opposing coaching staff.  So when game time came, they were not shocked about the injury like they should have been, and they were ready for the new offense that hadn't been seen before.

That's just one event, but if you were to through the history of the MU forums you'd find all sorts of things....and it's not just MU that has that problem.  The reason coaches are so secretive nowadays is that there are very few people who think about the effect something might have on their team before they post it for the whole world to see.  

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2010, 02:05:30 PM »
Everyone who wants students around the court, it will not happen. End of discussion.

You know why the BC is one of the best college basketball venues? Alcohol. Be grateful.

Adding to these points.

1.  The amount of money that is raised by having Season Ticket holders make donations is substantial.  Putting the students on the sidelines would dry up that well.  

2.  I don't know the rule, but always understood that if the school did not own the facility, alcohol could be served.  Long removed from being a student, I'd still say let's keep the current arrangement and not have the school own anything.  

That said, there were talks to renovate the BC a few years back.  It will happen.  It's just a question of when the Bucks want to/can pony up the money.  Patience grasshoppers.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2010, 02:07:12 PM »
I guess no one should be surprised it "has" happened.  Everything "has" happened.  But the signal to noise ratio has got to be through the roof.  

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2010, 02:08:30 PM »
I'm talking things that wouldn't be available from viewing game tape because they aren't in it.  Plays that hadn't been unveiled yet, game plans that hadn't been used yet, defenses the team hadn't shown...all the sorts of things that you can learn about at practice.

IWB has told the story before, but one of the more well known ones occurred back in the C-USA days.  Remember when they used to do giveaways where you could watch a practice or go travel with the team to an away game?  The guy that won the drawing found out information that was previously unknown regarding injuries and game plans for that particular opponent.  He went back to his hotel and posted about what he had seen, which got picked up by the other team's message board, and eventually made it's way into the hands of the opposing coaching staff.  So when game time came, they were not shocked about the injury like they should have been, and they were ready for the new offense that hadn't been seen before.

That's just one event, but if you were to through the history of the MU forums you'd find all sorts of things....and it's not just MU that has that problem.  The reason coaches are so secretive nowadays is that there are very few people who think about the effect something might have on their team before they post it for the whole world to see.  

I would call BS on most posters claiming this, but bma has the credibilty to call on this

bma725

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2010, 02:10:11 PM »

I think the injury angle is a more likely result....  X student sees Jimmy Butler in a walking boot and mentions it on Ye Olde Scoop. That would  be info an opposing coach would want to know, but could not have learned through normal channels.

That's a big one.

Every coach is trying to keep the other team guessing as to whether or not a kid is 100% healthy.  That's why they hide behind HIPAA and give vague answers when asked about injuries.  But every message board out there has students that see the players on campus and post about so and so being in a boot or on crutches.  

That kind of stuff gets picked up by opposing fans who then find a way to forward it on to the right people for their team.  

Obviously that in and off itself won't be the sole reason for a loss, but every little thing is important.  When a team knows that player X may not play due to injury, they can spend time game planning for that occurrance.  If it happens, then they are ready for something that 15 years ago they likely would not have been.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2010, 02:12:36 PM »

Suspend the students upside down from the ceiling like bats.  Then opponents would call it the cave, and shiver in fear of playing there...

How could 25+ comments be posted before acknowledging the hilarity of this one?! It is classic. Take a moment and envision the scene of students hanging upside down over the court. I'm glad I work from home, as I would be disturbing others with my laughter.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2010, 02:15:33 PM »
I guess no one should be surprised it "has" happened.  Everything "has" happened.  But the signal to noise ratio has got to be through the roof.  

Absolutely.  But in a business like college basketball, a lot of peoplare aren't willing to take chances.  

That's why some coaching staffs get in good with admins of message boards, so they have someone to do that kind of work for them.  That's why some coaching staffs will recommend a player check out a specific message board that is known to be highly moderated and very pro-staff/team for their view of the fanbase.  I'm not necessarily talking about MU here, but you'd be surprised the lengths to which some programs throughout the country will try to control the uncontrollable.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2010, 02:31:50 PM »
Wait a minute...are you suggesting that there's an MU message board where the coaches indirectly control what is discussed? I'm shocked!!

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2010, 02:41:27 PM »
Wait a minute...are you suggesting that there's an MU message board where the coaches indirectly control what is discussed? I'm shocked!!

No, no.  I think he just forgot to use teal.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2010, 02:43:44 PM »
Wait a minute...are you suggesting that there's an MU message board where the coaches indirectly control what is discussed as premium content for $9.95 / month? I'm shocked!!*

fixed

*may not be entirely true with the new coaching staff
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2010, 02:51:54 PM »
Just for the record, if Marquette wants to give me, spiral, 'topper and socal $9/month for all of our 3000+ existing users, and turn this place into a "private" forum, I'd take that deal.

I know....I'm a sellout.  But anybody that's already in would get access  ;D

mikeDEANmeminger

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2010, 02:55:37 PM »
BMA, you've posted some pretty good stuff on here before...But if you actually think coaching staffs at the big time level look at and take seriously message boards, you are crazy and 100% wrong.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2010, 03:00:23 PM »
How could 25+ comments be posted before acknowledging the hilarity of this one?! It is classic. Take a moment and envision the scene of students hanging upside down over the court. I'm glad I work from home, as I would be disturbing others with my laughter.

Bo Ryan would feel right at home.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2010, 03:01:33 PM »
There is a reason BMA has developed the reputation he has...

Why should anyone give any credibility to your comments?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2010, 03:05:52 PM »
BMA, you've posted some pretty good stuff on here before...But if you actually think coaching staffs at the big time level look at and take seriously message boards, you are crazy and 100% wrong.

You sir, are an idiot.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2010, 03:06:16 PM »
Just for the record, if Marquette wants to give me, spiral, 'topper and socal $9/month for all of our 3000+ existing users, and turn this place into a "private" forum, I'd take that deal.

I know....I'm a sellout.  But anybody that's already in would get access  ;D

I'm letting you do the negotiating then Rocky.. I woulda taken $8.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2010, 03:10:21 PM »
ok, if what's posted on message boards can affect opposing team game plans, why not start posting bogus stuff ... like, say, Lazar broke his leg and MU is going to start four guards tomorrow night?  Let G-Town prepare for something that is not true.  Does that create a surprise for them and give us an edge?

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2010, 03:12:17 PM »
PA announcer at halftime:  Dribble Dribble

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2010, 03:13:16 PM »
ok, if what's posted on message boards can affect opposing team game plans, why not start posting bogus stuff ... like, say, Lazar broke his leg and MU is going to start four guards tomorrow night?  Let G-Town prepare for something that is not true.  Does that create a surprise for them and give us an edge?

That would be hilarious.  I remember there was a message board I was part of that you saw certain "hidden" information if you had over a certain number of posts (like 100).  Then you can put in the message "just kidding" and the outsiders would think it true.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2010, 03:33:29 PM »
OK, that now explains our loss to Missouri in last year's tournament. Mike Anderson knew DJ was going to play after reading this board and game planned for him.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2010, 04:42:08 PM »
I'll say this...wasn't there a game a year or so ago...maybe involving Huggins (K State?) in which they either upset somebody or lost against a surprise triangle and two? I don't think it's that outrageous that Huggins would recognize the defense without having looked at a message board. They guy isn't an idiot.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2010, 05:23:25 PM »
First, I saw Cords reading the old Rivals board in his office before we had a meeting there during the '03 season.

Second, Buzz was pretty pissed last year at the Chicago tip off dinner when someone had leaked that MU was practicing at Whitney Young (they weren't).  I think he even mentioned that he had talked to a NCAA compliance officer that day, telling him that that wasn't a good idea.

Third, I don't think games are necessarily won or lost by what's on a message board.  It's like saying a game was won or lost by the officials.  I remember the Izzo story about TC and his paranoia.  Before a practice at an NCAA tournament site, TC was up in the rafters searching for secret cameras.  Izzo finally told him that whoever they were playing had 20 game tapes on them anyway, it wasn't like they didn't know what was coming anyway.  So Izzo told him to quit searching.  You might learn some information that way, but I don't think it wins or loses games.