[Today at 08:33:37 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Jay Bee
[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ND Fans Using Racial Slurs To Taunt Players?  (Read 19544 times)

muwarrior87

• All American
Re: ND Fans Using Racial Slurs To Taunt Players?
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2009, 02:29:06 PM »
In the Tribune article, there are comments about using the 'N' word in previous years and they called cubie communist last year saying they should refer to him as "Jugo Chavez"

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2009, 02:35:41 PM »
I wouldn't say there has been a backfire yet...yes they have taken it off the site, but that doesn't mean they can't print them without putting it on that site.  In all honesty, I would love to see major action taken!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2009, 03:03:06 PM »
The real offense here is how patently un-funny and uncreative they are.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2009, 03:13:39 PM »
The ND fans have gotten wind are are now responding to the Trib article with some lovely comments:

CalBerkeleyBoy
posted 2/03/09 @ 2:59 PM CST
How's the weather up on the cross Marquette? Poor guys. I hope Dominic is okay. What would we do without Marquette editorial writers to guide us in moral decision making. Thanks Marquette Tribune.

George
posted 2/03/09 @ 3:05 PM CST
Wow people, who knew a piece of paper could somehow be so moving. I'm an ND fan and got an ice chunk thrown at me the last time I went to an ND game at Marquette. That's what I call being horrible fans, just like retiring the jersey of a guy who didn't even graduate, way to value academics.

IWENTTOACLOWNCOLLEGE
posted 2/03/09 @ 3:09 PM CST
I went to Marquette.
The General has taken on a new command.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2009, 03:23:20 PM »
The ND fans have gotten wind are are now responding to the Trib article with some lovely comments:

CalBerkeleyBoy
posted 2/03/09 @ 2:59 PM CST
How's the weather up on the cross Marquette? Poor guys. I hope Dominic is okay. What would we do without Marquette editorial writers to guide us in moral decision making. Thanks Marquette Tribune.

George
posted 2/03/09 @ 3:05 PM CST
Wow people, who knew a piece of paper could somehow be so moving. I'm an ND fan and got an ice chunk thrown at me the last time I went to an ND game at Marquette. That's what I call being horrible fans, just like retiring the jersey of a guy who didn't even graduate, way to value academics.

IWENTTOACLOWNCOLLEGE
posted 2/03/09 @ 3:09 PM CST
I went to Marquette.

It's funny how a 5 game losing streak can bring out the best in a fanbase...

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2009, 03:33:31 PM »
It looks like the Trib is doing a good job moderating comments.  All of the comments quoted above are gone now.

It makes sense that ND fans would respond like that.  As akmarq said, you'll start grasping onto any diversion when you're on a 5-game losing skid in conference.  I never thought I'd say this, but they could take a page from the UW@Madison fan's book on how to behave honorably when you're team isn't as good as you thought it was going to be.

iceman66

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2009, 03:46:45 PM »
It's amazing that ND can be so wrong all the time. I'm glad we are undefeated in conference and still morally the best fans in the conference too. Keep up the good work MU fans. The world would be a dark, sad, lonely, place without us. Good thing we never went to college or else we would realize college students pull this type of thing all the time. A phone number on a small student organization website that no one goes to, how awful. I hope your crusade goes well. Also, making fun of Cubillian because his Olympic team did not win a game in the Olympics... flat out racism. At times I cannot believe that we are the only smart and moral people in the world, but I guess we are.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 03:54:19 PM by iceman66 »

Kramerica

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2009, 03:56:22 PM »
It's amazing that ND can be so wrong all the time. I'm glad we are undefeated in conference and still morally the best fans in the conference too. Keep up the good work MU fans. The world would be a dark, sad, lonely, place without us. Good thing we never went to college or else we would realize college students pull this type of thing all the time. A phone number on a small student organization website that no one goes to, how awful. I hope your crusade goes well. Also, making fun of Cubillian because his Olympic team did not win a game in the Olympics... flat out racism. At times I cannot believe that we are the only smart and moral people in the world, but I guess we are.

Uh-oh, looks like we got an interloper.  Anyways, I don't think all of us are out there to damn what was said without actually seeing what was on there.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2009, 04:01:16 PM »

Apparently Notre Dame fans aren't clever enough figure out when to useteal.

iceman66

« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2009, 04:07:44 PM »
Good one...

JSwarriors08

« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2009, 04:11:11 PM »
The world would be a dark, sad, lonely, place without us.

Good thing that good ole' ND education taught you the correct grammatical usage of the comma.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 04:13:50 PM by JSwarriors08 »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2009, 04:13:03 PM »
Good one...

On this forum people use teal-colored text to denote sarcasm.  It wasn't joke you were expected to get.

@Everyone else:  Don't feed the troll.

iceman66

« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2009, 04:15:27 PM »
Am I the troll? I now understand the teal comment and it was HILARIOUS.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2009, 04:16:51 PM »
That ignore button under iceman's name cleaned this thread right up :)

iceman66

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2009, 04:21:44 PM »
"Tyrannies are perpetuated by diffident men who do not possess the courage to act out their beliefs." - Stanley Milgram

Nice quote JSWARRIOR. It totally applies to posting on a college basketball blog. This place is awesome. I want to be an All-American post identifier. You guys are great and probably have better things to do. This is my last post. Remember me as a peacemaker. I hope Notre Dame stops hurting everybody's feelings and that we all get statues along Wisconsin Avenue. Skatastrophy sucks  ;D.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2009, 04:28:24 PM »
A phone number on a small student organization website that no one goes to, how awful.

Oh...well, we only get about 11,000 visits a month here at scoop, so I suppose you won't mind if I go ahead and post your e-mail address for all to see?

I'll give you a chance.  Go to your profile, delete your account, and I won't do it.

Have a nice day!

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2009, 04:30:46 PM »
Go back to Charlie.  

Pop in a VHS of Rudy and remind yourself of how great ND is.  

Anyone ever notice how everyone is laughing but ND fans dont know why?

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2009, 04:32:39 PM »
OMG, another tribune article that over blows something.  I saw the jeer card, I was in the class with the guy who wrote it and they were complaining (making a big deal about it loudly) about the racial slurs...so I read it and I have NOO idea what they are talking about. The racial slur on Cubbie? It was that b/c he is Venezuelan he must support Hugo Chavez.....what? ALL fans say horrible stuff, so stop getting all high and mighty MU fans- and the thing about James' daughter being a by-product of a night out is ridiculous, the card simply said at the bottom embarrassing facebook pics. I honestly read it and was confused, it seemed the Trib was fishing for something that could be construed as racial or offensive....its a JEER card, duh, we arent supposed to like it. The Trib is a rag, and the fact that the Trib didn't put any examples shows they really didnt have much..just a few items that could have been twisted to be insulting, let it go. This wasn't journalism, this was crap that was easy for us to twist into anti-ND fodder. Did they say some inappropriate stuff? maybe...but lets all face it, if we made the cards we wouldn't have been the perfect PC editors you demanded either. How do you insult/jeer at player/teams without it it eventually turning into something at least slightly offensive?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 04:42:57 PM by KCMarq09 »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

2TimeWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2009, 04:36:46 PM »
Oh...well, we only get about 11,000 visits a month here at scoop, so I suppose you won't mind if I go ahead and post your e-mail address for all to see?

I'll give you a chance.  Go to your profile, delete your account, and I won't do it.

Have a nice day!

This was great!!!!!!!!!!!

Best post I've seen in a long time.

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2009, 04:37:46 PM »
Those "jeer cards" pretty sum up ND students/grads - privilidged, obnoxious a-holes that look down on anything "not good enough" for ND.  I'm soooooo happy that their beloved football program is a joke and their b-ball season is falling apart.  Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people.   

Here, here...+1

Kramerica

• Starter
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2009, 04:38:47 PM »
OMG, another tribune article that over blows something.  I saw the jeer card, I was in the class with the guy who wrote it and they were complaining (making a big deal about it loudly) about the racial slurs...so I read it and I have NOO idea what they are talking about. The racial slur on Cubbie? It was that b/c he is Venezuelan he must support Hugo Chavez.....what? ALL fans say horrible stuff, so stop getting all high and mighty MU fans- and the thing about James' daughter being a by-product of a night out is ridiculous, the card simply said at the bottom embarrassing facebook pics. I honestly read it and was confused, it seemed the Trib was fishing for something that could be construed as racial or offensive....its a JEER card, duh, we arent supposed to like it. The Trib is a rag, and the fact that the Trib didnt put any examples shows they really didnt have much..just a few items that could have been twisted to be insulting, let it go. This wasn't journalism, this was crap that was easy for us to twist into anti-ND fodder. Did they say some inappropriate stuff? maybe...but lets all face it, if we made the cards we wouldn't have been the perfect PC editors you demanded either. How do you insult/jeer at player/teams without it it eventually turning into an insult?

Well I'm glad that's been cleared up.  I've said we should hold out judgement until we read the actual insults.  

LON

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2009, 04:41:59 PM »
Let's just start making Brady Quinn gay jokes next and really get their fanbase worked up.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2009, 04:48:01 PM »
Guys, it's been a pleasure to bring this to everyone's attention today.  Now it's time for me to head on down to Allstate and watch some college basketball.

Have fun with the ND flamers, everyone  ;)
The General has taken on a new command.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2009, 04:49:23 PM »
Thanks General, thanks a bunch  ::)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2009, 05:36:19 PM »
Never fear all - MUScoop CSI service has created a backup of their entire website for the authorities to investigate (before any more evidence is destroyed).  You might enjoy browsing starting at their "jeer" directory:

http://www.muscoop.com/nd_legion/jeer/www.nd.edu/~legion/jeer/

Note: I haven't even looked through everything.

FYI - I've still got a copy, but I took down the public share.  I don't want us to be sharing too much personal info about these kids/players.  If any legitimate reporters are interested - contact me and I can send you a copy.