[Today at 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wake Up Call  (Read 5862 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Wake Up Call
« on: December 02, 2023, 12:24:35 PM »
MU was feeling itself a bit. Lot of stuff about being for the state. Giving up 40+ to the Badgers in the first half is a joke. Can’t go on a run when you’re taking the ball out of the hoop every trip down.

Doubled up on the boards. Losing 50/50 balls. Look scared to play. Completely out of sorts, taking the shots UW wants MU to take.

Hope Shaka has the boys ready to defend in the second half. Maybe find Klesmit on the perimeter is a start.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Wake Up Call
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 12:26:04 PM »
Jop with 9 shots. Kam with 3

Sean brick layer Jones with 2 3 attempts, Kam with 1.

Mentality inept performance on top of the zero care.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 12:29:18 PM »
Good teaching moment in a December road game.

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023, 12:29:31 PM »
Jolp has really struggled.  Hopefully Jop shows up to take his place.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2023, 12:29:39 PM »
absolute joke of an effort, wont have to worry about getting big heads about high rankings much longer...

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2023, 12:29:52 PM »
Did MU have any deflections in the first half?

Boone

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2023, 12:32:56 PM »
Nm
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 05:09:17 PM by Boone »

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2023, 12:34:13 PM »
The hubris of those who predicted we’d have an easy time was unbelievably moronic
Didn’t think itd be easy but thought we’d be competitive. Guess not. Oshkosh put up a better effort ffs. These guys should ashamed

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2023, 12:34:32 PM »
The hubris of those who predicted we’d have an easy time was unbelievably moronic

I had a bad feeling about this game for this very reason. When teams go into drop they don't have a counter. Oso is a total non-factor.

They'll concede threes but MU doesn't have dudes that will make them consistently enough.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2023, 12:36:29 PM »
Same. How anyone could be overconfident is beyond comprehension

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2023, 01:27:18 PM »
Team played really dumb today.  That's what was so frustrating.  Just poor decision after poor decision.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2023, 01:28:53 PM »
Sean Jones continuing to take 3s is just horrific basketball

No saying "thats the offense shaka wants" if so then thats bad coaching by Shaka.

Open 3s for certain guys are the equivalent of boner pills for the defense. Just stop

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2023, 01:37:57 PM »
12 …

I posted earlier today that I had a bad feeling… but this was AWFUL .

Well … they will fall to 10th (?) … so hopefully they won’t get Ct stormed again

PistolPete

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2023, 01:51:14 PM »

No saying "thats the offense shaka wants" if so then thats bad coaching by Shaka.

Open 3s for certain guys are the equivalent of boner pills for the defense. Just stop

Sean Jones has won us more than one game this year. I can live with his missed shots, he’s been a major net + and is NOT the problem

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2023, 02:03:54 PM »
But more importantly, did it kill the game vibe for you?

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2023, 02:21:35 PM »

It’s ridiculous. Dude shoots 22% and thinks he’s got the green light. Had 4 wide open looks and bricked them all. There’s a reason you’re open. Needs to stop

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2023, 02:23:53 PM »
Sean Jones has won us more than one game this year. I can live with his missed shots, he’s been a major net + and is NOT the problem

No, him shooting 3s is objectively a problem.

And while he has improved forsure, most of his damage is against cupcakes. Those stats were also shown on a thread.

Lets just be objective. Sean Jones should not shoot at all, and sure as sh it should never have as many 3s in a half as Kam.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2023, 02:24:04 PM »
I'll set aside the snark for a moment, and sum the concerns from most on this Board: (1) consistently poor rebounding effort (and rebounding is effort), (2) inability to make coaching adjustments against teams that cut-off the lanes/angles, and (3) poor outside shooting and no consistent 3-point threat.

Items 1 and 2 are correctable, but Item 3 is not.  I don't know if the lack of a consistent 3 point shooter is enough to be a legitimate threat in March?

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2023, 02:26:43 PM »
No, him shooting 3s is objectively a problem.

And while he has improved forsure, most of his damage is against cupcakes. Those stats were also shown on a thread.

Lets just be objective. Sean Jones should not shoot at all, and sure as sh it should never have as many 3s in a half as Kam.

I disagree, in philosophy. I say shoot and shoot often. Kam is getting less because teams are guarding him better and we were stagnant. The way to get him more shots is for Sean, Stevie, Chase, Ben to take and make more. They will, I feel, if they keep shooting open looks. But, that’s why I stopped coaching at the 8th grade level

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2023, 02:27:28 PM »
I'll set aside the snark for a moment, and sum the concerns from most on this Board: (1) consistently poor rebounding effort (and rebounding is effort), (2) inability to make coaching adjustments against teams that cut-off the lanes/angles, and (3) poor outside shooting and no consistent 3-point threat.

Items 1 and 2 are correctable, but Item 3 is not.  I don't know if the lack of a consistent 3 point shooter is enough to be a legitimate threat in March?

Kolek, Jones, and Jop are consistent 3-point threats (aside from Jop being awful today).

The problem is the other guys taking shots from deep have been HORRENDOUS.  I think Ben and Chase will come around there but Sean needs to stop taking them completely at this point. 

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2023, 02:28:45 PM »
Game shooting is all confidence. It will come around. Kolek was terrible his first year shooting. They will be knocking them down by the end of the year.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2023, 02:29:35 PM »
Kolek, Jones, and Jop are consistent 3-point threats (aside from Jop being awful today).

The problem is the other guys taking shots from deep have been HORRENDOUS.  I think Ben and Chase will come around there but Sean needs to stop taking them completely at this point.

Jop might be the most inconsistent player I’ve ever seen. It’s maddening. Let him go back to sixth man, come in, shake things up, make a three or two without having to expend effort on D right away, see what happens. I’m not a fan, wasn’t last year either, but he was better in his role then than he is as a starter

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2023, 02:29:57 PM »
Game shooting is all confidence. It will come around. Kolek was terrible his first year shooting. They will be knocking them down by the end of the year.

Absolutely agree

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2023, 02:30:52 PM »
I disagree, in philosophy. I say shoot and shoot often. Kam is getting less because teams are guarding him better and we were stagnant. The way to get him more shots is for Sean, Stevie, Chase, Ben to take and make more. They will, I feel, if they keep shooting open looks. But, that’s why I stopped coaching at the 8th grade level

But you cant just bomb away at 15% just because and pray it gets Kam shots later. We get boat raced.

Also Chase and Ben have good form for the most part and also have games where keeping the d honest and utilizing a shot fake helps to take some 3s.

Stevie is a off ball guard and finds himself wide open in the corner. While its quite embarrassing he cant hit the broad side of the barn on those right now, you basically have to take that shot.

Sean constantly has the ball in his hands. Constantly takes early in the shot clock 3s off his own damn dribble. And he CANT SHOOT. There is a massive difference.

His shot against UCLA was objectively bad. Thank god it was 1 of the 2 he made.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2023, 02:31:47 PM »

Other posters have made the point that teams are guarding Kam close and taking away his three point shot, which means others have to step-up and hit some open looks.  I'll look at the stats for Kolek, but my impression is "meh," and Jop . . . I'll say nothing further because it would be cruel.  Gold makes me cringe when he squares up to shoot. 

There is not a lot there at the moment, and it is a BIG concern.

feedback