[Today at 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Better Believe  (Read 21191 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Better Believe
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2018, 08:50:16 AM »
I feel your pain. I had to attend a double date cooking class...hey sometimes things happen. Big win! Hope to watch a replay in the next day or so

You need a new date.   ;D

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2018, 08:51:29 AM »
Theo screamed into the air...at first, which was fine.  But, he took a slight inhale and the last part of the scream was clearly directed at the UB player. I think it was deserved (the technical, not the scream in the face).

I can't believe I just broke down a scream

Is there a rule for dirty looks too?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2018, 08:56:57 AM »
How predictable is this thread?

I WAS ALWAYZ ON THE BANDWAGON, YOU WERE NOT.   SUCK IT, BEEF N CHEDDAR EATERS.

This is exactly what I was thinking.  We reap what we sow.  I was also thinking about this scene from the league 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2018, 09:17:41 AM »
How predictable is this thread?

I WAS ALWAYZ ON THE BANDWAGON, YOU WERE NOT.   SUCK IT, BEEF N CHEDDAR EATERS.

Very predicatable.

And very necessary. Hop on in!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2018, 09:37:46 AM »
Very predicatable.

NO, WE MUST PUNISH THE DOUBTERS WITH BEEF N CHEDDARS WITH NOT ENOUGH ARBYS SAUCE PACKETS.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2018, 09:39:14 AM »
Very predicatable.

Agree.  If we have to stomach the BS fire Wojo crap for a few weeks, a heathy dose of go get bent and see what a little patience can do is in order.

It’s almost as if it takes 4 to 5 years to truly judge, especially if short cuts aren’t taken.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2018, 09:41:22 AM »
Was at a Christmas party last night so wasn't able to watch.  Avoided Internet/phone last night, woke up this AM to excitedly watch the game I set to record - but new to the DirecTV platform and apparently MU basketball wasn't on Number 1 on my Series Priority list..the game didn't f'in record.

So, ESPN highlights, recap.  Markus went all-world!  24 consecutive points in the 2nd half.  40 points in the 2nd half alone?  The degree of difficulty on some of those shots?  Good Lord.  Sublime talent can win a team a lot of games. 

Huge win and it feels great to have strung 4 quality wins in a row.

How many things did you have recording at once?  Satellite or OTT? 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2018, 10:03:50 AM »
Agree.  If we have to stomach the BS fire Wojo crap for a few weeks, a heathy dose of go get bent and see what a little patience can do is in order.

It was entirely reasonable to watch MU take its first two tests and utterly fail them both with uncompetitive performances and think: here we go again ..  Another Wojo squad that will fail to meet expectations, bad on defense, middle of a weak Big East once again.   

At the time, with the on-court information we all saw -- plus multiple seasons of hisotry -- that was an entirely reasonable opinion. 

Which of course begets this thread, those of the true believers who somehow had more keen basketball insight, more faith, needing to remind the disbelievers how they were so wrong.

It's a game.  Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2018, 10:09:13 AM »
We really stunk at IU, but the guy who scheduled our only true away game as the 2nd game of the season  must have been asleep at the wheel. Even good teams struggle early in the season, but to throw our guys into the deep end of the other guy's pool that early in the season was an epic schedule fail. The difference between that game and this game was that both teams had 11 games under their belts and both were ready to play. We saw the real MU tonight.
It was part of the Bi10/Big East challenge. We have nothing to do with that scheduling.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2018, 10:12:38 AM »
It was entirely reasonable to watch MU take its first two tests and utterly fail them both with uncompetitive performances and think: here we go again ..  Another Wojo squad that will fail to meet expectations, bad on defense, middle of a weak Big East once again.   

At the time, with the on-court information we all saw -- plus multiple seasons of hisotry -- that was an entirely reasonable opinion. 

Which of course begets this thread, those of the true believers who somehow had more keen basketball insight, more faith, needing to remind the disbelievers how they were so wrong.

I don’t think so.  Playing at IU is a bitch, especially first road game.  Where was the common sense reaction here?  It wasn't.  Then KU we are up at half, but of course most lose their minds because we lost to the #1 team with way more talent than us.

People can believe what they want, but i find it telling the barkers are no longer barking, they aren’t even here.....but they will come back after we stub our toe. 

Can’t wait for the Va Tech vs MU NCAA game that will tear the fan base in two.....sigh.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2018, 10:17:33 AM »
I cheer for MU with every fiber in my body. But I can't give faux praise or say I see something that isn't there. After some early bumps, this team has earned the praise I always prefer giving. I'm excited like I haven't been in years. But I don't apologize for being skeptical after the IU and KU games. The team earned that skepticism, too.

Well said, Bernstein. Quiet confidence tempered with a dose of realism makes the inevitable bumps less agonizing.

MU Hoops is important. But it hardly compares with the love of a good woman, the smile of a baby boy, or the gift of being an American. Perspective.
"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2018, 10:36:38 AM »
How many things did you have recording at once?  Satellite or OTT?

Believe there were only two other programs recording at the 7:00pm timeslot.  I'm in a highrise building - DirecTV was only option for occupants.  So, not sure if that makes for Satellite or OTT?

Do you know how many programs one can record simultaneously on DirecTv platform?  (I came from Xfinity and as I recall could record 5 at a time.)

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2018, 10:40:19 AM »

Well said.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2018, 10:40:32 AM »
Believe there were only two other programs recording at the 7:00pm timeslot.  I'm in a highrise building - DirecTV was only option for occupants.  So, not sure if that makes for Satellite or OTT?

Do you know how many programs one can record simultaneously on DirecTv platform?  (I came from Xfinity and as I recall could record 5 at a time.)

As I recall it was five. I dropped them a couple years ago though.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2018, 12:03:04 PM »
It was part of the Bi10/Big East challenge. We have nothing to do with that scheduling.

Agreed. And to be honest, while I’d of course love for MU to be undefeated and have won at IU, the reality is this team wasn’t going to go undefeated and getting punched in the mouth game 2 of the season might’ve been the best thing that could’ve happened to this team. They were not ready to go into a hostile environment and win. Had they played okay and IU played okay and MU most by 5 on the road, then the Kansas game goes the same way, who knows what the mindset of this team would’ve been and if the season would be going as it is right now? I have to think the at IU game opened some eyes on the team as to what high level basketball is and the intensity needed to compete there, and then the KU game opened some eyes as to what 20 minutes of fight is vs. what 40 minutes of fight is.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2018, 12:09:59 PM »

Depends what you have.  The HS17 box with 4K records 7 shows at once.

The HR44 or HR54 does 5, most folks have that.

You said you were in a high rise, that likely means you are on a central building wiring scheme and without knowing what your building did to wire it up, impossible to know what the limit might be.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 12:13:15 PM by Cheeks »

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2018, 12:20:36 PM »
Was at a Christmas party last night so wasn't able to watch.  Avoided Internet/phone last night, woke up this AM to excitedly watch the game I set to record - but new to the DirecTV platform and apparently MU basketball wasn't on Number 1 on my Series Priority list..the game didn't f'in record.

So, ESPN highlights, recap.  Markus went all-world!  24 consecutive points in the 2nd half.  40 points in the 2nd half alone?  The degree of difficulty on some of those shots?  Good Lord.  Sublime talent can win a team a lot of games. 

Huge win and it feels great to have strung 4 quality wins in a row.
A few on this site recommended playstation vue a few years ago...possibly the best info I've ever gotten off of scoop.  In all seriousness...much better functions than direct tv now...I love it. 

ducs

• Walk-On
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2018, 12:26:53 PM »
Depends what you have.  The HS17 box with 4K records 7 shows at once.

The HR44 or HR54 does 5, most folks have that.

You said you were in a high rise, that likely means you are on a central building wiring scheme and without knowing what your building did to wire it up, impossible to know what the limit might be.

We could only record 2 shows at once when we had DTV less then a year ago.

MuMark

• All American

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2018, 12:38:39 PM »
Agreed. And to be honest, while I’d of course love for MU to be undefeated and have won at IU, the reality is this team wasn’t going to go undefeated and getting punched in the mouth game 2 of the season might’ve been the best thing that could’ve happened to this team. They were not ready to go into a hostile environment and win. Had they played okay and IU played okay and MU most by 5 on the road, then the Kansas game goes the same way, who knows what the mindset of this team would’ve been and if the season would be going as it is right now? I have to think the at IU game opened some eyes on the team as to what high level basketball is and the intensity needed to compete there, and then the KU game opened some eyes as to what 20 minutes of fight is vs. what 40 minutes of fight is.

I was thinking this exact same thing, wades.

What this team will become will be shaped by everything that happens in the season. Perhaps without those two disappointments, gut-check wins over Louisville and Wisconsin and Buffalo don't happen.

As for this thread ...

I fully admit I'm doing some crowing now, and yes I'm sure it was predictable.

I can't claim I knew we'd be this good, but I was optimistic about it. I like going through life optimistically. I can't imagine being a person whose knee-jerk reaction to most things is negativity.

My main (Arby's) beef ('n Cheddar) is that people are so willing to bash. Some of the comments after the Louisville game were as stupefying (if not moreso) than the ones after the losses. People seem to not want to believe. Maybe if you don't get too attached -- or better yet, if you rip -- you don't feel so burned later if things go bad? Is that it?

Not to call out just one Scooper, but where's muguru today? The guy who likes to give "or else" ultimatums, as if he has the power to do anything about it if we lose, is now in Cricketsville. The guy who pretends he's a better fan than others because he "expects" more. Cricketsville. That's part of what wades and I want to know. OK, rip away when we struggle if that's what turns you on, but where are you to actually feel good about something?

I truly feel sorry for people who cannot get joy out of a victory like yesterday's or about the trajectory this team is on. I would hate to go through life being joyless, especially over  something as unimportant (in the big picture) as sports.

We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2018, 12:43:00 PM »
We could only record 2 shows at once when we had DTV less then a year ago.

The HR34 has been around since 2012 and has 5 shows at once capability.  Not sure what system you had or how it was wired, but we have had that technology for a long long time.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/2012/10/directv-genie-dvr/amp
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 12:44:46 PM by Cheeks »

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2018, 12:45:50 PM »
Is Guru still around?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2018, 01:05:34 PM »

Not to call out just one Scooper, but where's muguru today? The guy who likes to give "or else" ultimatums, as if he has the power to do anything about it if we lose, is now in Cricketsville. The guy who pretends he's a better fan than others because he "expects" more. Cricketsville. That's part of what wades and I want to know. OK, rip away when we struggle if that's what turns you on, but where are you to actually feel good about something?

Same question as me.  He hasn't said anything since December 8th, but logged in at 1:30 this morning if you click on his profile.  Why cannot people say they were wrong, enjoy what we are doing and embrace what is going on. Stubborness? 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2018, 01:57:56 PM »
Same question as me.  He hasn't said anything since December 8th, but logged in at 1:30 this morning if you click on his profile.  Why cannot people say they were wrong, enjoy what we are doing and embrace what is going on. Stubborness?

Well, I don't care enough to click on anybody's profile, as I'm not into stalking. But yeah.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2018, 02:07:42 PM »
My main (Arby's) beef ('n Cheddar) is that people are so willing to bash. Some of the comments after the Louisville game were as stupefying (if not moreso) than the ones after the losses. People seem to not want to believe. Maybe if you don't get too attached -- or better yet, if you rip -- you don't feel so burned later if things go bad? Is that it?

I was critical after those games because of how familiar the trends felt. I'm glad to see this reversal of fortune and can't understand any MU fan not enjoying this and crediting the staff for the turnaround. And as good as Markus was last night, coaching mattered in that game significantly. It wasn't just a one man show.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.