[Today at 11:28:28 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Its DJOver
[Today at 10:43:07 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dear Lord  (Read 21843 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Dear Lord
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2013, 04:59:11 PM »
I remember watching the first 39 minutes and being so frustrated because MU was running really good sets, getting open looks, getting offensive rebounds and absolutely nothing would fall.     One of those sequences where JWilson and Otule/Gardner would play volleyball with 3-4-5 point blank looks with nothing to show for it.   MU played well, just couldn't hit.   And then the dream sequence and all was forgiven.  

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/ncaa/men/gameflash/2013/03/21/85557/index.html#boxscore

Look at this box score.   Look how bad MU shot.   MU killed Davidson on the boards, outshot them from the line.....could not make a thing.   Even with those last 3 3pt shots in a row, MU finished 4-15.

This thread might help....I think it was more than just missing open shots off good sets, at least to 95% of the people in this thread.  That was some of it, but we didn't play well for most of that game.

Davidson Game Thread

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=37329.0

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2013, 11:21:17 PM »
My first post on that thread pretty much sums it up for me - we are a glass half empty fan base.  I had missed the first half (on the road after a meeting watching on my iPad picking up wifi in the parking lot of a closed cafe), and read the thread from the first half and was sure we had to be down 20, when it turned out the game was tied (could have been a couple of minutes into the second half when I posted). 

Watching the game, posting and texting a friend all at the same time was a strange and thrilling experience.  While I get a bit frustrated with the negativity - especially towards our players - I also am very grateful to all of you for creating this community to allow for the collective experience we would not otherwise get- it makes the agony more bearable and the ecstasy more special.   For those of us who couldn't be there in person (very envious of those of you who were there - the only thing close for me was game 2 of the Sox World Series), MUscoop was a memorable substitute.   

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2013, 12:22:03 AM »
My first post on that thread pretty much sums it up for me - we are a glass half empty fan base.  I had missed the first half (on the road after a meeting watching on my iPad picking up wifi in the parking lot of a closed cafe), and read the thread from the first half and was sure we had to be down 20, when it turned out the game was tied (could have been a couple of minutes into the second half when I posted). 

Watching the game, posting and texting a friend all at the same time was a strange and thrilling experience.  While I get a bit frustrated with the negativity - especially towards our players - I also am very grateful to all of you for creating this community to allow for the collective experience we would not otherwise get- it makes the agony more bearable and the ecstasy more special.   For those of us who couldn't be there in person (very envious of those of you who were there - the only thing close for me was game 2 of the Sox World Series), MUscoop was a memorable substitute.   

Reading your posts on that thread amidst the rest of the chaos was awesome, to say the least.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2013, 12:58:41 AM »
So the Franco Harris play was luck ... unless one argues that him being in the right place at the right time was him being prepared and him making the shoestring catch was talent.

Anybody can argue that anything lucky requires skill, preparation, etc.

I still say we were lucky to win. And I still say there is no shame in being lucky.

But hey, we can disagree on this and it won't bother me a bit because I'm just lucky to be an American and have the freedom to post about all this silliness (much of my own making).

Yup, no shame in being lucky to win.....what did Buzz Williams say?  "We're lucky to still be standing".  I like Buzz and his honesty.

boyonthedock

« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2013, 04:10:46 AM »
Yup, no shame in being lucky to win.....what did Buzz Williams say?  "We're lucky to still be standing".  I like Buzz and his honesty.
Buzz is right to say we were lucky to still be standing, and posters are right to say the last minute and a half were regression to the mean. Its just heat of the moment vs. statistical distance. I feel like all fans can and should appreciate both. The statistics people got into the nitty gritty of stats from their love of the game, same as buzz uses them to give MU an edge in the heat of battle.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2013, 06:51:38 AM »
Was the finish to the Davidson game lucky? Sure it was. Just as the circumstances of missing all those earlier threes was unlucky. Our luck just waited until the very end to balance out in that one.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2013, 08:55:30 AM »
Was the finish to the Davidson game lucky? Sure it was. Just as the circumstances of missing all those earlier threes was unlucky. Our luck just waited until the very end to balance out in that one.

Finally... someone who understands the yin and yang of luck.

If Buzz would have said, "we're not unlucky enough to not still be standing," I swear that would brain-damage half of Scoop.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2013, 09:41:53 AM »
SS Marquette

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2013, 11:21:58 AM »
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 11:24:34 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2013, 06:58:33 PM »
After reading the following writeup on Jameel I couldn't help but think about Vander's game winner against Davidson on the pick and roll.  Thought I'd bump this thread.  Still can't believe the events unfolded as they did.

http://www.nycbuckets.com/2013/08/nine-big-east-rookies-to-watch-in-2013-14/
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2013, 07:04:38 PM »
After reading the following writeup on Jameel I couldn't help but think about Vander's game winner against Davidson on the pick and roll.  Thought I'd bump this thread.  Still can't believe the events unfolded as they did.

http://www.nycbuckets.com/2013/08/nine-big-east-rookies-to-watch-in-2013-14/

Interesting remarks on pick and roll. We have had no one who knew how to pass to the big man before. I think it may be different this year.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2013, 08:15:05 PM »
The game gave me the feeling that I think Kansas fans often have. I almost always root against Kansas. This past year Iowa St had them beat twice and lost both games. I have seen other games where I thought Kansas was going to lose (Memphis losing in championship game), but somehow managed to win. Self is as good at pulling out games as Dean Smith was. Someone earlier commented about Gardner getting beat on defense, but in reality we might have lost the game, if he defended it better and the player pulled the ball out using up more of the clock. I am not giving Gardner props here, but sometimes bad plays help.

Now, why'd you have to go and remind all us MU fans fans that we were once in the exact same position as those Davidson fans? I still, nearly 30 years later, can't believe we lost to NC in 1986.

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-01-20/sports/sp-31005_1_north-carolina