[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is MN a better job than Marquette?  (Read 24082 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Is MN a better job than Marquette?
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2013, 07:05:57 PM »
I am still waiting for someone in the MN media to explain how the Gophers are going to pay Buzz's buyout and  pay him what MU pays him.  I don't see any way that the Gophers will be willing to spend the kind of money it will take to get Buzz.  Not going to happen.  

Do they even pay the FB coach that much?

Hamostradamus

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2013, 07:06:09 PM »
I am still waiting for someone in the MN media to explain how the Gophers are going to pay Buzz's buyout and  pay him what MU pays him.  I don't see any way that the Gophers will be willing to spend the kind of money it will take to get Buzz.  Not going to happen.  

@GopherHole legend Lou Nanne tells KFAN that U basketball fundraising dried up but indications are that big money donors to step w/ new HC
"ESPN -- is the one who told us what to do." - Boston College athletic director Gene DeFilippo

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2013, 07:10:24 PM »
@GopherHole legend Lou Nanne tells KFAN that U basketball fundraising dried up but indications are that big money donors to step w/ new HC

Keep dreaming, Gophers. Must be nice to be irrelevant in not one—but two—sports.

MarqKarp

• Starter
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2013, 07:13:21 PM »

I could be wrong, but I would be shocked if Minnesota hired anyone in Buzz's price range.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2013, 07:16:07 PM »

Tubby buyout 3.3mill, they had to buyout Glen Mason, had to buyout Trestman and they would have to pay Buzz's buyout before getting to his salary.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2013, 07:19:10 PM »
Tubby buyout 3.3mill, they had to buyout Glen Mason, had to buyout Trestman and they would have to pay Buzz's buyout before getting to his salary.

That's why this a complete fantasy. Ain't happening. Sorry Gophers.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2013, 07:20:21 PM »
I think MU job blows MN out of the water, but at one point MU was not at high watermark. The hiring of KO was done by donors that decided it as time for MU to move in right direction. I will never underestimate big donors and what they can do. Every school has big donors.

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2013, 07:24:29 PM »
Minnesota is a middling Big Ten basketball program with subpar facilities, brutal winters and an average tradition.  The Gophers have produced two winning seasons in conference play since making the Final Four in 1997.  Please explain the allure of the job. No coach is going from an ideal situation to that disheveled mess.  It's going to be tough for Minnesota to sell a top rate coach when it can't even convince it's best high school players to stay home!

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2013, 07:31:18 PM »
Minnesota is a middling Big Ten basketball program with subpar facilities, brutal winters  

Everyone get off the winter and brutal cold high horse.  It is very naïve.  I grew up in the inner city of Chicago, went to Marquette and now live here.  Believe me there is not much of a difference between Lake Michigan winters/wind and St. Paul winters.  I actually love winter.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2013, 07:33:45 PM »
SaintPaulWarrior

I agree with you on the negative winter talk. Plus some guy might hit the lottery if donors pony up. Enough money makes anywhere a great place to live. I doubt that guy is Buzz, but cannot bash the school for trying.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2013, 07:36:58 PM »
SaintPaulWarrior

I agree with you on the negative winter talk. Plus some guy might hit the lottery if donors pony up. Enough money makes anywhere a great place to live. I doubt that guy is Buzz, but cannot bash the school for trying.

The U does have some heavy, heavy donors but in the past they have been focused on football.  I think it will be changing with this hire for basketball.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2013, 07:40:57 PM »
SaintPaulWarrior

Much easier to build a basketball team than a football team. Probably a wise move on donors part to move in that direction. This year proved a lot of the 64 teams in NCAA can go to FF. MN is way beyond the eight ball in being competitive in football. They are a great hire away from being a force in basketball vs. no chance in football short term.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2013, 07:44:30 PM »
Don't underestimate Jerry Kill.  He does have seizures on the sidelines, during press conferences and after the game but he is a very good coach everywhere he has been.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2013, 07:50:38 PM »
The twin cities are a great place to live.  I can be at 3m's hq in 7 minutes, the state capital in 12 minutes, or on the St. Croix national scenic waterway in 8 minutes.  By car, I can be at the confluence of the Mississippi and St. Croix in 20 minutes.  Good fishing in Prescott!

Milwaukee is an equally good town.  Could move there in a heartbeat.

All of that said, u of MN has a lot of donor money.  MU has that too.  MU has much more character, and a very, very, rich tradition.  Our fan/alum base is much, much more passionate than anything u of MN can offer.

Finally, there is no Real Chili in MN.  Case closed.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2013, 08:12:35 PM »
This whole concept of MN fans thinking they have a chance at Buzz is as adorable as their mascot.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2013, 08:33:45 PM »
Don't underestimate Jerry Kill.  He does have seizures on the sidelines, during press conferences and after the game but he is a very good coach everywhere he has been.

The health issues will eventually rub enough people the wrong way and he'll be out.

-------------
As for compensation, you must understand that Tubby's compensation package was extraordinarily generous for a coach who hadn't done jack on the court and whose programs had other issues off the court.

Paying another coach a nice amount won't be a problem.

However, the lack of a practice facility is an issue and for someone like Buzz they'd need to dramatically change the support given to the program. Buzz has it pretty good with his travel situation at MU.

There is no reasonable comparison that can be made which puts Minnesota ahead of Marquette in terms of their basketball programs. It's not close. 

Take it as flattery that so many people think as highly of Buzz as they do... and that they run with nonsense ideas/rumors.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2013, 08:49:22 PM »

My guess is that he's gone the season after next.  His recruiting is crap and his innovative little offense isn't going to work in the Big Ten.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2013, 09:03:23 PM »
I can be at 3m's hq in 7 minutes

Well, I'm fracking sold.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2013, 09:07:57 PM »
The twin cities are a great place to live.  I can be at 3m's hq in 7 minutes, the state capital in 12 minutes, or on the St. Croix national scenic waterway in 8 minutes.  By car, I can be at the confluence of the Mississippi and St. Croix in 20 minutes.  Good fishing in Prescott!

Milwaukee is an equally good town.  Could move there in a heartbeat.

All of that said, u of MN has a lot of donor money.  MU has that too.  MU has much more character, and a very, very, rich tradition.  Our fan/alum base is much, much more passionate than anything u of MN can offer.

Finally, there is no Real Chili in MN.  Case closed.

You live in Woodbury I assume?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2013, 09:34:43 PM »
Minneapolis is much better city than Milwaukee...people forget about this aspect. If I think about MY life and career, I would take a substantially less attractive offer in Minneapolis than anywhere in the South simply based on quality of life. I'm not arguing which job is "better" or if he'll come here, but maybe he values WHERE he'll live for the foreseeable future. Seattle and Portland are about the only two cities I'd ever leave Minneapolis for.

This is very subjective. I left Minneapolis, a city I liked very much, for Chicago, a city I loved. Maybe you like Minny more. Others like Austin, TX more than Minny or Chicago. Others like San Fran more than all of them. Others like Seattle most. Others love Boston.

Unless you have some kind of inside knowledge what Buzz actually likes best, it's a meaningless statement.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback