[Today at 07:43:22 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by cheebs09
[May 12, 2024, 09:16:55 PM]

New 2024 Committment According to Ben Steele: Joshua Clark by tower912
[May 12, 2024, 08:23:11 PM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 12, 2024, 03:17:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Duane Wilson Poised For Breakout Season  (Read 15458 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Duane Wilson Poised For Breakout Season
« on: July 03, 2016, 10:30:08 PM »
I believe that Duane is poised for a breakout season. He should be completely healthy and he is a natural leader. Duane is well respected by the coaches and his teammates. When the game is on the line, he is the player I want to see with the ball.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

brandx

Re: Duane Wilson Poised For Breakout Season
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 10:38:34 PM »
I believe that Duane is poised for a breakout season. He should be completely healthy and he is a natural leader. Duane is well respected by the coaches and his teammates. When the game is on the line, he is the player I want to see with the ball.

That's what I thought before last season, and to me, he was the most disappointing guy on the team.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 10:50:23 PM »
I thought he started out last season in a funk. Maybe he expected to start at point and was disappointed when he did not.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 10:58:19 PM »
I believe Duane played through injury all last season. Hopefully coming back healthy this year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 11:23:45 PM »
Very deep backcourt this year. I think the lineup changes frequently game to game. Wojo is going to ride the hot hand. Right now, I'd slot in Traci, Haanif, Katin, JJJ and Fischer. Rowsey, Duane and Howard will need to duke it out to be the 6th man off the bench (assuming Luke isn't in foul trouble by the first TV timeout)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 11:58:47 PM »
Hence my signature.

Too bad it's been there for the past 3-4 years.
SS Marquette

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 07:11:27 AM »
I believe Duane played through injury all last season. Hopefully coming back healthy this year.

What was his injury last year?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 07:19:40 AM »

I don't agree with this analysis. But hope its true.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 08:15:06 AM »
I don't agree with this analysis. But hope its true.

I agree with THIS analysis.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 10:57:26 AM »
I'm hopeful here in year 4 on campus, Duane can show nice progress. It's almost uncanny how similar his numbers were last year vs. RS FR year. Against better competition, he just wasn't very good. Against weaker competition, he ate.

I think the performance vs. better competition can and will improve some... how much? Dunno. eFG% comp of 51.5% isn't easy, but 3FG% of 34.6% has some room to grow.. 2FG% of 51.0% is a tough comp, but against the upper half of competition, that figure was only 45.5% on 2's.. AND only 28.8% on 3's... this is where there is some room for takeoff in 2016-17...
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 11:40:08 AM »
So the narrative went from, "Bert forced an uninjured Duane to redshirt an entire season when all it was was a month recovery for a stress fracture," to, "A year and a half after a stress fracture Duane was still playing through injury?"  Got it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 11:52:42 AM »
So the narrative went from, "Bert forced an uninjured Duane to redshirt an entire season when all it was was a month recovery for a stress fracture," to, "A year and a half after a stress fracture Duane was still playing through injury?"  Got it.

I heard that Duane had a few nagging injuries that slowed him all last year. Don't believe it was related to his freshman year or any of that stuff. Could be completely inaccurate, but I trust the people that told me.

That said, I think Duane will be one of the most interesting storylines we have over the next 10-12 months. Will he take a step forward and continue to be a leader on this team, or will guys like Reinhardt, Rowsey, and Howard cut into his minutes? Will he graduate in the Spring, and if so, will he want to continue to chase the Marquette scoring record (McNeal had 769 points in 2 years, Wilson has 701, Hayward had 673) or will he consider a graduate transfer? Will he be the player we hoped we would see after his promising freshman year or will be stay at about the same level he was at his first two years?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 12:03:44 PM »
Perhaps not the same injury?

brandx

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 12:13:15 PM »

Will he graduate in the Spring, and if so, will he want to continue to chase the Marquette scoring record (McNeal had 769 points in 2 years, Wilson has 701, Hayward had 673) or will he consider a graduate transfer?

There is a 0% chance he will approach McNeal's record.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2016, 12:19:01 PM »
Was disappointed not to see improvement last year.  If something similar happens he'll be passed on the roster and be a candidate for an outbound grad transfer the year after that.  Hope that's not the case.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2016, 12:54:42 PM »
Duane would probably have to average 19 ppg over the next two years to be Marquette's all time leading scorer.  Zero chance that happens.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2016, 01:39:22 PM »
Zero chance? Sorry, but disagree. It may not be likely, but if Marquette played in three Big East Tourney and three NCAA Tournament games the next two years, that would lead to 74 games played. Duane would have to average just under 17.4 ppg to pass McNeal.

I'll grant unlikely, but not impossible.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2016, 02:08:45 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of his game. I'm sure he's a nice kid, but he's terribly inefficient, inconsistent and can't play defense. I don't see how he breaks out when Marquette is adding two players that are much better than he is. I see his numbers decreasing, he couldn't even break the starting lineup on last years team.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2016, 02:09:22 PM »
Fine.  Not a zero chance.  I will peg it at about .01%.  Unless he is *that* much better, there are too many players and not enough minutes.  Players like McNeal and Diener were getting 34+ mpg when they put up 18 ppg. Duane is very likely not going to play enough.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2016, 02:13:26 PM »
Jerel had to make a big jump to get to 1985. Vander made a bigger jump than Wilson would have to make. The escalation it would take would be slightly higher than the one DJO went through. It's hardly unprecedented. If he averages over 16 ppg this year, it'll be something we'd be watching for his senior year. That's far from impossible, and I think it would be a big talking point in about 7-8 months.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2016, 03:56:17 PM »
Jerel had to make a big jump to get to 1985. Vander made a bigger jump than Wilson would have to make. The escalation it would take would be slightly higher than the one DJO went through. It's hardly unprecedented. If he averages over 16 ppg this year, it'll be something we'd be watching for his senior year. That's far from impossible, and I think it would be a big talking point in about 7-8 months.

Brew, you're dreaming.  Duane probably won't even start.  Hanni passed him on the depth chart as a Frosh.  DU was a redshirt Soph last year, 3rd year in a college program.  He needs to play great ball to earn the 6th man spot.

Now I'm not saying he won't get minutes but to think that he'll be averaging 15-18 a game is a real stretch.  I'd peg it more like 10.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2016, 04:02:42 PM »
Brew, you're dreaming.  Duane probably won't even start.  Hanni passed him on the depth chart as a Frosh.  DU was a redshirt Soph last year, 3rd year in a college program.  He needs to play great ball to earn the 6th man spot.

Now I'm not saying he won't get minutes but to think that he'll be averaging 15-18 a game is a real stretch.  I'd peg it more like 10.
Duane is absolutely beloved by the coaches. He has a complete green light to shoot and he will be expected to be a leader of the team. He took 307 shots each of the last two years and I would expect him to get that same amount this year.  The key will be to make a higher percentage.  He also needs to move his free throw percentage up significantly.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2016, 04:08:12 PM »
Duane won't beat Jerel'a scoring record but there is someone on the roster who will have a very good chance.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2016, 04:10:56 PM »
Duane won't beat Jerel'a scoring record but there is someone on the roster who will have a very good chance.

Cheatham?
Maigh Eo for Sam

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2016, 08:17:32 PM »

+1