Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Inside MU Basketball season-ending episode  (Read 27759 times)

Freeport Warrior

• All American
Re: Inside MU Basketball season-ending episode
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2012, 04:30:36 PM »
Most likely to get people to go to his website?  Not necessarily because there was anything legit.  Keep in mind, no other person reported on this "rumor".   
You guys can believe whatever you want. This was no rumor. I remember hearing back in early Feb. that the Williams/Pilarz/Williams relationship wasn't going well. This was when we were rolling. I thought about posting something, but didn't want the flaming douche posts that would ensue. MU was ACTIVELY reaching out to targets on Tuesday. That is a fact. They were scared. Now, on to opinion -- we were very lucky it was SMU calling.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2012, 04:33:33 PM »
Most likely to get people to go to his website?  Not necessarily because there was anything legit.  Keep in mind, no other person reported on this "rumor".   

Not a chance.  IWB wouldn't do that to Buzz or to Marquette.  IMO, and I have no proof for this, but Buzz and IWB talked, and that is the reason the tweet went out.  To deny this was real is foolhardy.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2012, 04:37:04 PM »
Larry's just a pawn.  If Pilarz wants heat on buzz he'll tell larry what to do or back off.   Hopefully Pilarz ain't DiUlio esque.

Rubie Q

• Starter
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2012, 04:40:45 PM »

Not a chance.  IWB wouldn't do that to Buzz or to Marquette.  IMO, and I have no proof for this, but Buzz and IWB talked, and that is the reason the tweet went out.  To deny this was real is foolhardy.

Then why did every other member of the media who has a pulse on the finger of college basketball -- including a couple who know Buzz VERY well -- dismiss it as nonsense?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2012, 04:52:59 PM »

I think we've got two distinct issues here:

1. Did Buzz (or someone else) slip this information to IWB, and did he accurately report what was told to him?
I think yes on both counts.

2. Was Buzz seriously contemplating a jump to SMU, or was he using SMU's interest, the leak to IWB and the resulting furor primarily as a means to establish himself as the Alpha dog?
I think it was the latter.
Of course, there was a chance the administration simply could have called Buzz's bluff, told him to enjoy life as a Big East bottom feeder, future appearances in the CBI and being the football team's second fiddle.
Fortunately, everyone realized they all had way too much at stake for that to happen and cooler heads prevailed.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2012, 04:54:20 PM »
Sooooooo, at the end of the day, we don't really know what went on.

Correct?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2012, 05:01:36 PM »
I think the craziness that happened wasn't due to IWB's tweet and article. He pretty much said that MU granted permission and and the relationship wasn't great. Everyone here with their rumors and stuff created the craziness. I'm not doubting Goose's or anyone else's sources. It's just that the whole idea of the AD and President forcing out Buzz got everyone fired up. While that may have been accurate, IWB didn't go as far into detail as those that posted here did.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2012, 05:10:22 PM »
Then why did every other member of the media who has a pulse on the finger of college basketball -- including a couple who know Buzz VERY well -- dismiss it as nonsense?

Like whom?  I don't recall anyone dismissing it as nonsense.  This whole thing went from about Sunday afternoon to Tuesday afternoon.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2012, 05:15:54 PM »
Why would Buzz owe anything to Fr Pilarz or Larry Williams? Neither have anything to do with his being here and Williams at least seems pretty comfortable calling him on the carpet in public.

Not to get off topic, but I would say "calling him on the carpet" is a exaggeration, especially given the way Buzz talks about his own team.

Could that have been interpreted wrongly by Buzz? Yes, it's possible.  

Does that mean it's accurate to say Larry "called him on the carpet"? No, not really.  

The comments were honest and accurate. That's the same thing we applaud Buzz for.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2012, 05:18:38 PM »
Not and I repeat NOT trying to prolong thread or stir the pot but I do not think this has completely run it's course yet for next year. Believe me or not but the unhappy member of this relationship started out being someone other than Buzz. I will feel completely comfortable in about two weeks that this is ending well for the time being. Buzz is crazy sort and still could hit the bricks. Again, not trying to create a bigger story or piss anyone off...just a feeling I got.

Rubie Q

• Starter
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2012, 05:24:59 PM »

Like whom?  I don't recall anyone dismissing it as nonsense.  This whole thing went from about Sunday afternoon to Tuesday afternoon.

Monday morning, Katz wrote he would be "stunned" if Buzz went to SMU and said it was "wishful thinking" on their part. Goodman -- and I realize this was after the joint statement was released -- said there was "never a chance" Buzz was taking the SMU job, regardless of the money involved.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2012, 05:25:42 PM »

Seth Davis said he "would be shocked" if Buzz went to SMU
Andy Katz dismissed it as "wishful thinking" by SMU.
Jeff Goodman called it "unlikely."

I don't think anyone used the word nonsense, but it's pretty evident none of the major voices in college basketball media were under the impression Buzz to SMU was a serious possibility.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2012, 05:27:32 PM »
Not saying you did Goose, just saying that people went further into it with things they heard, and people took off running with that and amped up the emailing and all that. Just trying to say that it wasn't IWB's tweet or article that set it off. Based on the information you shared, it's not surprising people were angry about it. Not saying that you were trying to stir the pot, just what happens with the nature of the information you provided.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2012, 05:42:06 PM »
Saying that Marquette has allowed Buzz to take "kids that historically MU has not allowed" is inaccurate, and if it refers to Jucos smacks of bigotry. Al took Jucos, Crean took Jucos and furthermore road the coattails of a kid MU most certainly historically didn't allow (prop 48) all the way to Bloomington.

I've been told by others you like to guess at what people are thinking and then deciding that is what they said.   ::)

I would note I didn't say Jucos and have actually stated on several occasions that I have zero issues with any JUCOs.  None.  To your point, MU has taken Jucos before, one of my favorites was Marcus Jackson.  Jae Crowder was another.  Tyrone Baldwin another. 

Since you didn't comment on anything else in my post, is it safe to assume that you agree he is well compensated, that his basketball budget is top notch, etc?

All this ball squeezing that is supposedly going on, what is it? Where is it?  His pay?  No.  His recruiting budget?  No.  His overall budget?  No.  His ability to recruit kids?  No (you said so yourself).

Where and what is the ball squeezing?  This has been asked over and over again in the 100+ page thread of you, Goose, and the others that are throwing out this line that he is somehow under the thumb of the university.  Please be specific.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Goose

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2012, 05:56:02 PM »
Hey Hoop....maybe just in real simple terms Fr. P just does not like Buzz for some unknown reason. Do you think that is a possibility?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2012, 05:59:06 PM »
Hey Hoop....maybe just in real simple terms Fr. P just does not like Buzz for some unknown reason. Do you think that is a possibility?

Fr. Pilarz was big in getting this whole nonsense resolved. He's been nothing but supportive of Buzz and the program, at least publicly.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2012, 06:01:17 PM »
Fr. Pilarz was big in getting this whole nonsense resolved. He's been nothing but supportive of Buzz and the program, at least publicly.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »
You guys can believe whatever you want. This was no rumor. I remember hearing back in early Feb. that the Williams/Pilarz/Williams relationship wasn't going well. This was when we were rolling. I thought about posting something, but didn't want the flaming douche posts that would ensue. MU was ACTIVELY reaching out to targets on Tuesday. That is a fact. They were scared. Now, on to opinion -- we were very lucky it was SMU calling.

Please expound on these rumors.  He's getting paid very well, has the budgets, is in a top conference, players are not being denied admission or anything along those lines.  Exactly what is it that is triggering these rumors?  What is not making Buzz happy?
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Goose

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2012, 06:13:04 PM »
Hoop
You are the #1 fan why don't you provide sources that tell you everything is perfect on WisconsinAve? Every single guy that does not want to believe there was or is trouble gives their side of the story with no support for their argument. Do you have inside information that everything is great on campus? Does that source tell you Buzz is happy? Does that source tell you the school loves Buzz? Who is your source?

Seriously I have no problem with anyone having an opinion on my posts or one's that state similar views. Not sure why the anti Goose posters are so sure they are right. I would love for Hoop or Lab or 2002 say they just talked with so and so and confirmed that Goose is a frickin idiot. If you have concrete information that states I am nuts please share it.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2012, 06:13:59 PM »

Sure, that is a possibility.  Normally there is a reason attached to it.  Does he think he is arrogant?  Disrespectful?  Dumb?  Too smart for his own good?  Not Catholic?  I'm going facetious here, but that is only to try and understand why.  Normally people don't just decide to dislike someone, especially when they have a working relationship with another person for many months.  There are triggers that start those those rocky relationships and usually one begets another unless they can cut it off at the pass before it becomes irreparable.  Buzz comes off as a very likable person.  Where is the disconnect between the two?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2012, 06:15:18 PM »
I think people like seth davis were saying they would have been shocked if he took it (cause its smu) not because they have any info. I really believe that iwb knew more than anyone.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2012, 06:18:56 PM »
Hoop
You are the #1 fan why don't you provide sources that tell you everything is perfect on WisconsinAve? Every single guy that does not want to believe there was or is trouble gives their side of the story with no support for their argument. Do you have inside information that everything is great on campus? Does that source tell you Buzz is happy? Does that source tell you the school loves Buzz? Who is your source?

Seriously I have no problem with anyone having an opinion on my posts or one's that state similar views. Not sure why the anti Goose posters are so sure they are right. I would love for Hoop or Lab or 2002 say they just talked with so and so and confirmed that Goose is a frickin idiot. If you have concrete information that states I am nuts please share it.

I do not expect everything to be perfect, that isn't realistic.  Al McGuire had top 5 teams and he and Raynor (and Scott, etc) butted heads enough that Al wanted out to coach the Bucks.  It happens everywhere.  

Your last post was probably the best one on the entire topic.  You said Pilarz doesn't like Buzz.  That's all people were asking for, something other than ball squeezing.  At one point this past week we were led to believe that we needed to be relegated to SLU or Loyola basketball status.  The rhetoric wasn't matching the reality of his pay, his budgets, the kids he has brought in.  It is hard to believe random internet rumors when they don't square with the dollars spent.  Now it seems to be a personality issue between president and coach.  That's a different thing and wish that could have been expressed 88 pages ago.  ;D

Goose

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2012, 06:22:39 PM »
Hoop
Fr. P came in and inherited Buzz. I would say any of the reasons you stated are probably legit not to a like a person. If I had to pick a reason I would pick too smart for his own good. I take Buzz at face value 80% of the time and 20% of the time I think he is outsmarting everyone. I have no problem with that but not signing any checks to the man.

brandx

« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2012, 06:24:54 PM »
Sooooooo, at the end of the day, we don't really know what went on.

Correct?

Words of wisdom!!

This should have been the 2nd or 3rd post in this thread as well as the last.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2012, 06:34:16 PM »
Words of wisdom!!

This should have been the 2nd or 3rd post in this thread as well as the last.

I disagree with everyone that bitches and moans that there isn't anything to talk about with this/this isn't worth talking about unless you have inside information. There has been so much smoke the past week and a noticeable change in tone from all parties involved since this exact situation arose a year ago, that I think trying to piece things together is only sensible. Just because a lot of these conversations have lead themselves to histrionics doesn't mean there is no value to trying to work things through in a rational way... but I admit the results on that score haven't been great.

feedback