[Today at 08:09:02 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North Pissing Match  (Read 114446 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: NFC North Pissing Match
« Reply #775 on: October 06, 2009, 08:40:51 PM »
  There is absolutely a subjective quality that makes Favre more of a winner than Rodgers.  You're flat out wrong.  Ever hear of Favre's "magic"? 

In addition, last season Favre went to a sh1t team that was 4-12 the prior year.. he turned them into a winning team.  Meanwhile, Erin Rodgers was on a team that was supposed to compete for the NFC North title and they went 6-10. 

Favre's "magic" has everything to do with his talents as a quarterback - as does the Jets' record at the beginning of last year.  It isn't some sort of endowed quality.  When Favre was hurt toward the end of last year, he performed poorly and the Jets started to lose.  Did his "magic" get hurt too?

I mean, do you still believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny???

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #776 on: October 06, 2009, 08:50:04 PM »

Favre's "magic" has everything to do with his talents as a quarterback - as does the Jets' record at the beginning of last year.  It isn't some sort of endowed quality.  When Favre was hurt toward the end of last year, he performed poorly and the Jets started to lose.  Did his "magic" get hurt too?

I mean, do you still believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny???

I believe in intangibles and a 'winning mentality'. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #777 on: October 06, 2009, 09:05:21 PM »

You've been a Vikings fan all your life.  How do you know about either of those things?

Anyways, much has been made about how Packer fans have "turned on Favre" and "pulled a 180."  What about everyone across the border?  Sure, being a fan of Favre now that he's in purple is one thing, but defending him as a Jet and a Packer?  I wonder if everyone was doing that two years ago.

And as far as the Jets season goes, I think you're giving him far too much credit.  It's not like Favre's play merely "came back down to earth" and the end of the season and no one could pick up the slack.  He literally threw games away in which other members of the team had played well.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #778 on: October 06, 2009, 09:57:42 PM »

Right...something you can't substantiate.  Put up those stockings!!!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #779 on: October 06, 2009, 10:33:20 PM »
Right...something you can't substantiate.  Put up those stockings!!!

...there is no subjective quality that makes him more of "a winner" than Rodgers.

Tell your mom to put up those stockings.  'Magic'.. 'winning mentality'... 'intangibles'... hmmm, sounds almost... subjective.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #780 on: October 07, 2009, 08:00:26 AM »
I cherish the memories and appreciate his talent, but I really have lost all respect for him as a man.  He proved it last night too, by throwing an absolutely stupid pass trying to send a dagger instead of milking the clock.  That gave the Packers 2 chances and an extra minute, and you could tell Childress was miffed. That is the moment that kind of stood out for me. Childress may want to give Mike Sherman a call.

Saw an explanation today about that play .. Childress called it, not Favre showing off.

http://blogs.twincities.com/Vikings/2009/10/childress-explains-long-pass-l.html

"It was a shot to take a chance," Childress said. "Thinking that they are playing the run and they had no timeouts at that point in time. We could have run it and taken more seconds off the clock and we had a discussion on how to do that. We thought that we would get after that guy and we did in fact complete it, but unfortunately a long foul ball."

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #781 on: October 07, 2009, 08:30:06 AM »
Saw an explanation today about that play .. Childress called it, not Favre showing off.

http://blogs.twincities.com/Vikings/2009/10/childress-explains-long-pass-l.html

"It was a shot to take a chance," Childress said. "Thinking that they are playing the run and they had no timeouts at that point in time. We could have run it and taken more seconds off the clock and we had a discussion on how to do that. We thought that we would get after that guy and we did in fact complete it, but unfortunately a long foul ball."

Don't let facts get in the way of a fan's b*tching about a former player.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #782 on: October 07, 2009, 08:46:45 AM »
Its both. You really can't separate them. Injuries are worse for a 40 year old guy than a 30 year old guy, and a 40 year old is more likely to get hurt/wear down from the physical requirements of an NFL season.

You will see the same thing this year. He's a year older, the injury is still there, his off season conditioning wasn't, and his motivation will be gone after the two teams meet again in week 8.

He looked equally sharp at this time last year. I don't think anyone should be surprised to this point. If he plays like this in November and December, that's something else. I will be very surprised if that happens.

Is there a magic date that you're waiting for?

I'm not saying I'm a "believer", but I'm also not predicting a collapse.

I know he's old, I just think he can still play effectively on this team.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #783 on: October 07, 2009, 08:52:58 AM »
  Tell your mom to put up those stockings.  'Magic'.. 'winning mentality'... 'intangibles'... hmmm, sounds almost... subjective.

Right...and they are for the intellectually lazy.  Who's point are you trying to argue here?

LON

• All American
« Reply #784 on: October 07, 2009, 09:13:47 AM »

Both of you.

Nobody cares.

Do you still wear your letter jacket around too?

I mean, yeah, God forbid I can add perspective to my thoughts...

EDIT:  And no one at my school wore letter jackets and you obviously cared enough to make some snide comment on it.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 09:17:26 AM by LancesOtherNut »

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #785 on: October 07, 2009, 09:20:06 AM »
I mean, yeah, God forbid I can add perspective to my thoughts...

EDIT:  And no one at my school wore letter jackets and you obviously cared enough to make some snide comment on it.

You being a stud CB/WR in high school, does not give any more credibility to your analysis.

LON

• All American
« Reply #786 on: October 07, 2009, 09:24:34 AM »

You being a stud CB/WR in high school, does not give any more credibility to your analysis.

Harboring some jealousy from your pine-riding days?

EDIT:  And I said as someone who's played the positions I think that WR's get away with too much, never claimed to be Deion Sanders...who pissed in your coffee?

If I wanted to play the role of the dumb jock (as you obviously have already pegged me) I would say something like "you never would have crossed the middle on me"
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 09:27:33 AM by LancesOtherNut »

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #787 on: October 07, 2009, 09:33:23 AM »
Harboring some jealousy from your pine-riding days?

EDIT:  And I said as someone who's played the positions I think that WR's get away with too much, never claimed to be Deion Sanders...who pissed in your coffee?

If I wanted to play the role of the dumb jock (as you obviously have already pegged me) I would say something like "you never would have crossed the middle on me"

I didnt peg you as a dumb jock.

I just am pointing out that, your (and Chicos) analysis of the play doesnt become any more credible because you played the position 20 years ago in high school.  It doesnt make you any more knowledgeable

Hence..."nobody cares..."

LON

• All American
« Reply #788 on: October 07, 2009, 09:38:48 AM »

I just am pointing out that, your (and Chicos) analysis of the play doesnt become any more credible because you played the position 20 years ago in high school.  It doesnt make you any more knowledgeable

Well the position has obviously changed over the years, but I graduated HS in 2002.

But I get what you're saying, I just thought that my comment wouldn't get a "this guy is reliving his HS days" roll of the eyes, it wasn't my intention, like I said, just trying to add some perspective...Although I can't say I don't miss my playing days.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #789 on: October 07, 2009, 12:49:25 PM »

Maybe, but then again someone that has been on that island and played the position probably has more perspective than those that haven't.  Not always, but generally speaking.  Playing corner is a nightmare as it is, but they've made it more and more difficult with the rules for wide receivers.

I loved it on offense, but when we switched to defense and dropped back to corner, I hated it.

LON

• All American
« Reply #790 on: October 07, 2009, 01:25:26 PM »
Maybe, but then again someone that has been on that island and played the position probably has more perspective than those that haven't.  Not always, but generally speaking.  Playing corner is a nightmare as it is, but they've made it more and more difficult with the rules for wide receivers.

I loved it on offense, but when we switched to defense and dropped back to corner, I hated it.
+1

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #791 on: October 07, 2009, 03:46:07 PM »
Well, I took 2 days off from this forum trying to keep my blood pressure at healthy levels. Upon returning, I must say, I'm a little surprised at the relative lack of piss in this match.

My thoughts on the game (having seen only the 2nd half...school obligations)
-The Vikings are a good team. No question about it. Of course, everyone knew that going in.
-Favre played a flawless game. No question about that, either. Of course, given 7.5 seconds, I probably could have found that guy over the middle, too.
-The Packers need to get the O-line fixed. Now. Tauscher will help. A healthy Clifton will help, too. All  that said, Rodgers MUST get rid of the ball more quickly, or McCarthy has to get him/the pocket moving.
-The lack of pressure on Favre was troubling, but I don't think blitzing is the answer. On plays where the Packers blitzed, Favre didn't miss. I realize he's not the "prototype" for a 3-4 end, but Aaron Kampman was made to rush the passer (he's top 5 in sacks in the NFL over the past 3 years...behind Jared Allen, who would look awfully good in Green).
-A healthy Bigby resets the defensive backfield, allowing Collins to play centerfield, as he has so well the last couple of years.
-The Packers absolutely made the right choice at QB.
-I still love Brett Favre, except for 3 hours on Oct. 5, and another 3-4 hours on Nov. 1.
-The Packers and Vikings are not that far apart. The Packers have some things to figure out. If they do, they'll be in the mix (along with the Vikings and Bears) for the division.

Well done, Minny. See you next month.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #792 on: October 09, 2009, 07:14:16 PM »
Some good emails from packer fans to sports guy in his last email bag.  Liked the one by a packer fan who had never experienced the announcers gushing over everything he does as an opposing fan.  Funny stuff.
The packers don't have the Oline they need to win anything.  They'll be scary once they can get that fixed. (next year?)

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #793 on: October 09, 2009, 08:36:55 PM »
Some good emails from packer fans to sports guy in his last email bag.  Liked the one by a packer fan who had never experienced the announcers gushing over everything he does as an opposing fan.  Funny stuff.
The packers don't have the Oline they need to win anything.  They'll be scary once they can get that fixed. (next year?)

One can only hope.  However, Clifton, Colledge, Spitz, Sitton, Tauscher will look a heck of a lot better than what was out there in the 3rd and 4th quarter versus Minnesota, and COULD be good enough to make some noise.  Ted didn't do us many favors when concerning O line depth though.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #794 on: October 09, 2009, 08:50:35 PM »

The Packers are scary right now.  Eeeek... ugly, ugly. 

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #795 on: October 09, 2009, 09:24:23 PM »
  The Packers are scary right now.  Eeeek... ugly, ugly. 

Your intelligence knows no bounds.  I will be interesting to see how the Vikings do with the real part of their schedule.  Quarter one looks good with wins over the hapless Browns and Lions, the Gore-less 49ers (by a hair) and Green Bay and their third string line, by a TD at home.

It's better to be lucky than good, but it's best of all to be both.

At this point, who believes the matchup at Lambeau will match up the 4-2 Packers and the 5-2 Vikings?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #796 on: October 09, 2009, 09:39:47 PM »
At this point, who believes the matchup at Lambeau will match up the 4-2 Packers and the 5-2 Vikings?

This belief would be limited to retards and gimps.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #797 on: October 10, 2009, 04:38:41 PM »

1.  (and it's not me)

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #798 on: October 10, 2009, 04:40:13 PM »
  This belief would be limited to retards and gimps.

Are you implying that it is out of the question?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #799 on: October 10, 2009, 04:55:04 PM »

I'll take some action on that if you are interested.

feedback