[May 19, 2024, 06:23:47 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Schedule Talk with Mike Broeker by Shooter McGavin
[May 19, 2024, 01:06:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Next 45-60 days  (Read 4890 times)

HoopsterBC

• All American
Next 45-60 days
« on: March 13, 2016, 11:04:03 PM »
Before everybody puts Wojo out to pasture, the next few months will tell how he can recruit, if he can not get an average player to come play the 4, then I would
be concerned.  Last year was Wojo's first recruiting class, did pretty good.  Got a 5 star, that has not been done for a long time.  It does help that he was from here.  MU is not Kentucky or Duke, it takes time and patience. Oh by the way, hard work.  MU has the resources, has at least 11 kids for next year with 10 having some experience.
I say he finds a 4, possibly gets Howard and next year might be better.  4 starters back, Rowsey and Hauser will help.  See what happens.

PS.  Buzz from TC was given a good team, he built on it.  Buzz left Wojo a mess, the kids that Buzz recruited to MU that left are not killing it, and they are sophs, maybe
Buzz saw that and realized it.  It might take 3 or 4 recruiting years to turn it around.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Next 45-60 days
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 12:14:27 AM »
Before everybody puts Wojo out to pasture, the next few months will tell how he can recruit, if he can not get an average player to come play the 4, then I would
be concerned.  Last year was Wojo's first recruiting class, did pretty good.  Got a 5 star, that has not been done for a long time.  It does help that he was from here.  MU is not Kentucky or Duke, it takes time and patience. Oh by the way, hard work.  MU has the resources, has at least 11 kids for next year with 10 having some experience.
I say he finds a 4, possibly gets Howard and next year might be better.  4 starters back, Rowsey and Hauser will help.  See what happens.

PS.  Buzz from TC was given a good team, he built on it.  Buzz left Wojo a mess, the kids that Buzz recruited to MU that left are not killing it, and they are sophs, maybe
Buzz saw that and realized it.  It might take 3 or 4 recruiting years to turn it around.

Yup, but that isn't good enough reason for many here.  Hopefully, the level headed people in the dept keep their heads about them. 

The only wild card to me is a key transfer.  If that happens, it would be a really tough blow.  If not, then I expect this club to be pretty good next year. 

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 06:11:29 AM »

Indeed, the wolves are-a-howling. And everyone has a suggestion to get the Warriors into the Big Dance, if not the Final Four.

Frankly, we all can speculate, and speculate we will. However, we are all forced to watch this unfold. To fully unfold is going to take 2 to 3 years minimum, not 45 days.

One thing is clear to this long time fan. Coach Wojo's approach is long term. He is trying to build a system at all levels from recruiting, to a value based culture, with self fulfilling belief that the Marquette expects to win and therefore, does win.

We all know, short term solutions can produce quicker results. But such an approach leaves a "program" without a foundation, or values. (See Beauregard in Va Tech.)

To stick to a long term build philosophy is going to require Coach Wojo to have a very thick skin and great patience and discipline. I think he has both because he fully believes in his approach. Those are his values. That is why he was hired.

In short, I favour the "draft and develop" long term, win and be in the Dance every season approach. (See Packers.)

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 08:18:52 AM »
Yup, but that isn't good enough reason for many here.  Hopefully, the level headed people in the dept keep their heads about them. 

The only wild card to me is a key transfer.  If that happens, it would be a really tough blow.  If not, then I expect this club to be pretty good next year.

absolutely - level headed people - its the same pessimists on every thread saying they told you we'd suck that now want Wojo's head - this is a grinder's game baby - keep at it and as long as all sides are pulling for the same goal I am confident we will succeed -

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 08:26:11 AM »
I don't think there's any questions about Wojo's recruiting. He landed a top-10 class with a McDonald's All-American his first time out. He has two top-100s in his second class and I fully expect Howard will join the fold when he announces next month.

I also don't think Wojo has any problems developing players. It's early to say, but there was notable improvement in season from Henry, Haanif, Traci, Jajaun, and Matt this year. Last year, he got career-best seasons out of Carlino, Derrick, and Juan.

The difference between this year an a NIT berth was scheduling. Simple as that. There are 6 NIT teams with 9-9 or 8-10 records and fewer total wins than we have. The only reason we weren't included was our schedule. We had as many or more top-100 wins (7) than any of those teams with an equal or better winning percentage against the top-100 than any of them.

Wojo can recruit. Wojo can develop. The main questions are if he can tailor his roster to this league and if he can get his game coaching up to snuff. My hope is that the answer is yes. No doubt they see they need to improve the physicality and toughness up front. We'll see about the in-game adjustments. Sometimes they've made some that worked well, sometimes they've stuck with the formula too long. But when a team goes 11-3 in games decided by two possessions or less, I tend to think the coach is figuring out how to manage the close games.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 10:16:08 AM »
The difference between this year an a NIT berth was scheduling.

It seems to be the miss on post season (NCAA or NIT) seems to be the thing that really set people off.  We've all known for several weeks that this MU squad was not going to the NCAA.  So if breaking point was that Wojo didn't get this team into the NIT (which I find really hard to believe, to Scoopers will value the NIT that much) then lets keep in mind that this is not "your father's NIT".  In prior years this team's body of work even with the bad scheduling would have been enough to get them into the NIT.  Nearly all projections had them in if they won one game in the BE tourney which they did.  The fact that the NCAA has now rigged the NIT as a consolation prize for mid major and lower regular season champs coupled with all the upsets has completely moved the line if entry into these 2 tournaments is considered the litmus test for high major season success.  MU isn't outside the best 100 teams this year.  They are just not inside the top 70 teams this year (the other 30 slots being taken by mid and low major teams MU would beat 8 out of 10 times on a neutral court).
I'm not sure this all matters much.  I saw progress this year particularly after the DePaul loss (when I feared the season had truly ended).  That's good enough for me.  I expect HE to leave, I expect Wojo to replace him with a decent (not great) rebounder who will contribute next year.  I expect them to be better than 500 in the BE next year.  I expect them to make the NCAA next year but as a close call so everyone will be nervous.  That's progress.   

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 04:25:17 PM »
I support Wojo, but I think the real risk is MU not firing an underperforming coach soon enough. Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the feeling that if Wojo under delivers he'll still be here 3-5 years after he should have been let go.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 04:33:52 PM »
I support Wojo, but I think the real risk is MU not firing an underperforming coach soon enough. Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the feeling that if Wojo under delivers he'll still be here 3-5 years after he should have been let go.

Grayson, can you graduate early, MU could use a real star next year,  still not sold that JJJ is going to be the star next year, not consistent enough but really came on
the last 45 days, probably getting playing time due to Sandy falling off the cliff.  What I said about the next month or so will really telling you the future for 2 years.
If you do not replace Henry, the following year you have to replace Luke, that is not an easy assignment, since there are no bigs in Wisconsin right now.  Have to go out
of state, so he really has 2 years tops in my book.  If he gets an average big who can at least defend, they should be fine moving forward.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 05:28:12 PM »

What in MU's history suggests that will be the case?  If guys are underperforming, they are generally gone in year 4 or 5.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 05:32:42 PM »
What in MU's history suggests that will be the case?  If guys are underperforming, they are generally gone in year 4 or 5.

Agreed.  I see MU being patient with Wojo...while also recognizing the university's huge commitment to hoops.  Given the latter, I do not see the school hanging on through a prolonged drought.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 05:37:50 PM »
Agreed.  I see MU being patient with Wojo...while also recognizing the university's huge commitment to hoops.  Given the latter, I do not see the school hanging on through a prolonged drought.

It seems the higher ups love wojo and will give him many years to build his own program/culture. His seat couldn't be any cooler imo (for right or wrong).

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 12:34:58 AM »
It seems the higher ups love wojo and will give him many years to build his own program/culture. His seat couldn't be any cooler imo (for right or wrong).

I'm not a higher-up, but....THIS.

And.......Right.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...