[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: sju thoughts  (Read 19157 times)

mug644

• All American
Re: sju thoughts
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2016, 11:22:31 PM »
I think Gus' periods of silence were because someone was talking in his ear, telling him to quit being so biased and to shut up about the officiating.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 11:25:54 PM by mug644 »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2016, 11:23:07 PM »
Win and advance.  Doesn't have to be pretty.

I like that the guys got their "warm up game" out of the way against an easy opponent.  Now they'll be ready to crush X tomorrow.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2016, 11:23:35 PM »
Yeah, number 2 was kind of expected. I don't think Gus really likes MU too much. He was really openly cheering for Xavier in that NCAA game when jimmy shut down Holloway. The quietest I've ever heard him. it was like his feelings were hurt that MU was winning.

I didn't really notice that to be honest, but was much more focused on the game than the commentators I suppose.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2016, 11:24:44 PM »
I didn't really notice that to be honest, but was much more focused on the game than the commentators I suppose.

Yeah, guess I just tend to let every little thing bother me when MU is blowing a big lead.

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2016, 11:25:28 PM »
It is a privilege to watch a frosh like Henry in a MU uniform.  Just enjoy.    Although I wish he would be back next year....um....no....ready or not his a lottery pick. B

That being said....Haani, Duane, JJJ and Traci Carter are going to be a helluva guard group next year!!!!!

Silly but serious note.... Coaches...great inbound plays under pressure which frankly have been an issue the lady few years.   

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2016, 11:25:56 PM »
Makes one miss Jim Burr

Theburreffect may have to return.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2016, 11:30:22 PM »
That was embarrassing officiating. How do you expect kids on the biggest stage of their lives to "adapt" when you change the rules. I get the directive but it was never enforced like this, not once the whole season. Now after an entire season you flip a switch and say watch this.

Absolutely embarrassing and the Big East owes its players more. We deserve an apology.

If you want to make a final four referee job fine but you can't switch after an entire season of letting things go.
My concern would be, if the refs go the other way tomoorow. We now have an expectation on how tommorrow's game is going to be called and should be ahead of Xavier in adjusting to it. We will go into Xavier game with the idea that you cannot touch the offensive player and if the refs change to no blood no foul we will get run over before we adjust to the change.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2016, 11:34:51 PM »
53 fouls and Ellenson had zero. You can say what you want about his defense, but he knows how to play without fouling. I do think he plays pretty good defense, when a player tries to take it inside on him. He keeps his arms up and does not foul.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2016, 11:36:04 PM »
53 fouls and Ellenson had zero. You can say what you want about his defense, but he knows how to play without fouling. I do think he plays pretty good defense, when a player tries to take it inside on him. He keeps his arms up and does not foul.

We watched a different game.  He didn't get a foul, because he essentially didn't play any defense.  It was beyond bad.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2016, 11:39:32 PM »
We watched a different game.  He didn't get a foul, because he essentially didn't play any defense.  It was beyond bad.

We gave up 93 points, can we really say anyone played spectacular defense?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2016, 11:39:49 PM »
27 and 14, including the game's biggest play, at The Garden. Now's the time for the "Henry will be around for 4 years" folks to please chime in again.

If we shoot 70% from the line, we probably lose that game. So I'd love to hear the whole "free throws don't really matter" argument from the new-fangled stats guys again.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2016, 11:41:07 PM »
I didn't think Gus was cheering for one team over the other.

I did think the officiating was awful.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2016, 11:43:40 PM »
I think getting stupid fouls that Fischer cannot stay away form are bad. Also, defense does not end until you get the ball back. Rebounding is part of defense.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2016, 11:49:07 PM »
People still think Hank's not ready for the Association and needs another year in college?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2016, 11:53:20 PM »

Maybe, but it was better defense than Duane played. I think all of his fouls were pushing a guy that was driving past him.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2016, 11:55:56 PM »
11. One of the best indicators of good coaching is ability to win close games. We've won a vast majority of these close games. Why do we think the coaching is so bad again?
I'd prefer to keep a big lead and win easily than bring one down to the wire.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2016, 12:00:43 AM »
I'd prefer to keep a big lead and win easily than bring one down to the wire.

Of course. Wojo said the same. But that's not very realistic for most teams, let alone a younger team. In basketball, runs happen almost every game.

But if you aren't impressed that Wojo's team wins close games, how about this as a sign of improved coaching and an improved team:

The first half to two-thirds of the season, an opponent would press and our lads would crap their pants. Even happened against St. John's.

More recently, we've done a pretty darn good job against the press. Tonight, we were very, very good against it.

Just luck, I guess. It couldn't be hard work, great preparation and good coaching.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2016, 12:01:11 AM »
I didn't think Gus was cheering for one team over the other.

I did think the officiating was awful.

The only thing gus was cheering for or against was against the NCAA and officials. That was an epic rant.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2016, 12:01:32 AM »
Thanks for the free Chic Fil A MU! Let's get a few more free sandwiches out of the week/weekend!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Logi4three

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2016, 12:05:46 AM »
Anyone hear that post game speech by wojo... awesome. That's why he gets good recruits. He speaks to the players.

Agreed.  Like that he was focused on them (i.e., getting them fed, sleep and then we tackle X tomorrow).

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2016, 12:17:55 AM »
Of course. Wojo said the same. But that's not very realistic for most teams, let alone a younger team. In basketball, runs happen almost every game.

But if you aren't impressed that Wojo's team wins close games, how about this as a sign of improved coaching and an improved team:

The first half to two-thirds of the season, an opponent would press and our lads would crap their pants. Even happened against St. John's.

More recently, we've done a pretty darn good job against the press. Tonight, we were very, very good against it.

Just luck, I guess. It couldn't be hard work, great preparation and good coaching.
The job this team has done in close games this season has been great, but a lot of those close finishes have been because they've let big leads slip away.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2016, 12:27:51 AM »

11. One of the best indicators of good coaching is ability to win close games. We've won a vast majority of these close games. Why do we think the coaching is so bad again?

Ehh I think the best indicator of good coaching is not giving up double digit leads under 10 minutes. That has plagued marquette all year.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2016, 12:33:58 AM »
Wish we found a way to get 2-5 minutes for Wally and Heldt so Henry didn't have to play so many minutes. Seemed like an ideal time would have been when we were up between 11 and 17 points. But Wojo seems satisfied with his 7-man rotation.

May not matter anyway since I don't see us beating Xavier even with a week's rest. Enjoyed the game despite the officiating and lack and defense. MU played well as a team to earn a tough win, and I'll be hoping against hope for a miracle.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2016, 12:40:34 AM »
JJJ needs more than 28 minutes.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2016, 12:46:12 AM »
Maybe, but it was better defense than Duane played. I think all of his fouls were pushing a guy that was driving past him.

Agreed, Duane seemed to respond way late on every drive.