[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by brewcity77
[May 03, 2024, 08:27:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is Marquette An NCAA Tournament Team?  (Read 19058 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Is Marquette An NCAA Tournament Team?
« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2016, 12:06:49 PM »
Thanks.    Let me give you a couple of thoughts to ponder.    Since the Amigos, how many freshmen regularly started games for MU before this season?     When buzz was here and wouldn't play freshmen (remember the screaming on this board about that?), when he stated that they didn't play defense to his standards, didn't understand the offense, and/or weren't tough enough, was that just an excuse or did he have a point?    If you were told that ANY other team (besides Kentucky) was going to have half of their roster be freshmen and were going to need all of them to contribute for the team to be successful, what would your expectations be for said generic team?

I love MU hoops.   It is a true passion.   I always have, I always will.   But to assume that MU is going to be immune to growing pains........ well, look around. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2016, 12:09:32 PM »
Thanks.    Let me give you a couple of thoughts to ponder.    Since the Amigos, how many freshmen regularly started games for MU before this season?     When buzz was here and wouldn't play freshmen (remember the screaming on this board about that?), when he stated that they didn't play defense to his standards, didn't understand the offense, and/or weren't tough enough, was that just an excuse or did he have a point?    If you were told that ANY other team (besides Kentucky) was going to have half of their roster be freshmen and were going to need all of them to contribute for the team to be successful, what would your expectations be for said generic team?

I love MU hoops.   It is a true passion.   I always have, I always will.   But to assume that MU is going to be immune to growing pains........ well, look around.

Great call.

This young team is awful defensively, gets lost on offense for long stretches and lacks overall toughness. Maybe that bald guy does know something about basketball after all.

It sounds good for fans to talk about patience and "the process" and "bare cupboards" and "building a program" and so on, but it's an entirely different beast to actually go through it.

Think of it like cleaning out your garage. When you start, you have these grandiose plans of how everything is going to look when it's completed and how everything will be organized and in its perfect place...but an hour into the process, you're sweating and swearing and things doesn't fit how you planned and your stuff is scattered across the driveway. You're eventually going to get to some version of that grandiose plan but there's going to be a big, frustrating mess on the way.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 12:19:52 PM by MerrittsMustache »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2016, 12:17:13 PM »
Respecting the process is great, understanding that freshmen don't usually lead to wins is fine, but why then did we sign a One and Done?  If this year is a rebuilding year, what is the point of HE?

I have no problem with Wally, I think he's a great role player and will be a fine senior like David Diggs, etc but if we're in the midst of building something here, what's the point of bringing in a One and Done?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2016, 12:23:24 PM »
Respecting the process is great, understanding that freshmen don't usually lead to wins is fine, but why then did we sign a One and Done?  If this year is a rebuilding year, what is the point of HE?

1. Because freshmen bring risk and uncertainty, but not certain failure.  There was always a chance that we could catch lightning in a bottle.

2.  Because at the time he first committed, it wasn't certain how likely HE was to being one and done.  It seems pretty likely now, but you never know when the kid is still in HS.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2016, 12:24:50 PM »

I have no problem with Wally, I think he's a great role player and will be a fine senior like David Diggs, etc but if we're in the midst of building something here, what's the point of bringing in a One and Done?

Because he's an incredibly gifted player.

Because not every "one and done" coming in, ends up being an actual "one and done."

Because having such a player brings national attention to Marquette's program.

Because, rebuild or not, the program is still trying to win.

Is that enough? Do you need more reasons?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2016, 12:25:02 PM »
Great call.

This young team is awful defensively, gets lost on offense for long stretches and lacks overall toughness. Maybe that bald guy does know something about basketball after all.

It sounds good for fans to talk about patience and "the process" and "bare cupboards" and "building a program" and so on, but it's an entirely different beast to actually go through it.

I'm not sure that I agree that this team is awful defensively.  aren't their defensive numbers top 80 or so?  They do have a lot of long stretches of poor offense.  They seem to be doing the right things on offense, sharing the ball well and leading the big East in assists, so hopefully improvement is just a matter of time. 

Buzz would have had a tough time last year, as well.  He would have had a leg up this year with four or five freshmen becoming sophomores, though.

It'd be a lot easier to like Buzz if he hadn't had disparaging remarks to make on his way out the door.  Another thing that Buzz knows is contracts which is why he'll be at Virginia Tech as long as he wants to be.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2016, 12:36:05 PM »

You ask that question like he burdened MU with a giant, one-year free agent contract. There are loads of reasons, as well listed by MerritsMustache above.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2016, 01:00:00 PM »

Because not every "one and done" coming in, ends up being an actual "one and done."

All this and more.

I mean, why did LSU bring in Simmons? What a bunch of dopes.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2016, 01:01:09 PM »
1. Because freshmen bring risk and uncertainty, but not certain failure.  There was always a chance that we could catch lightning in a bottle.

2.  Because at the time he first committed, it wasn't certain how likely HE was to being one and done.  It seems pretty likely now, but you never know when the kid is still in HS.

He was the 4th player in his class (per ESPN).  Trust me, Wojo & Co knew what they were getting.  Wojo's been recruiting kids like Henry for 15+ years.  He knows what they want, the NBA and asap.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2016, 01:04:07 PM »

I think Wojo brought Henry in bc he saw him as the best way to get to the NCAAs THIS season.  I think those were Wojo's expectations.  Say this about Wojo, he didn't drop any TC excuses all fall.  He's done more complaining about guys not getting it than he has offering up the youth excuse. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2016, 01:08:47 PM »
He was the 4th player in his class (per ESPN).  Trust me, Wojo & Co knew what they were getting.  Wojo's been recruiting kids like Henry for 15+ years.  He knows what they want, the NBA and asap.

Andrew and Aaron Harrison went to UK as the #5 and #6 players nationally.  They both stayed two years.

You just never know.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2016, 01:13:08 PM »
I think Wojo brought Henry in bc he saw him as the best way to get to the NCAAs THIS season.  I think those were Wojo's expectations.  Say this about Wojo, he didn't drop any TC excuses all fall.  He's done more complaining about guys not getting it than he has offering up the youth excuse.

Agree 100%. Wojo was adamant that we would be very good this year. Think he's more than a bit befuddled that we're not.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2016, 01:40:23 PM »
I t  Say this about Wojo, he didn't drop any TC excuses all fall.  He's done more complaining about guys not getting it than he has offering up the youth excuse.

In fact, his public pronouncements have done the opposite. He is more interested in getting the guys to do their thing, adopt the offense and play an occasional minute of defense.

Wojo has completely backed away from the youth excuse, to his everlasting credit.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2016, 02:43:00 PM »
Agree 100%. Wojo was adamant that we would be very good this year. Think he's more than a bit befuddled that we're not.

I wonder if he really felt adamant, or he is just used to winning at Duke, and presumed that the Big East would be easier than the ACC. And, maybe he's more attuned to having freshmen who can consistently contribute, as Duke gets higher level players.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2016, 02:44:55 PM »

Boy, we didn't schedule like we thought we were going to be very good this year.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2016, 02:45:20 PM »
Marquette is better.   Much better.   The Big East is better still.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2016, 02:48:20 PM »
I'm not sure that I agree that this team is awful defensively.  aren't their defensive numbers top 80 or so?  They do have a lot of long stretches of poor offense.  They seem to be doing the right things on offense, sharing the ball well and leading the big East in assists, so hopefully improvement is just a matter of time.

This. We are a very good defensive team. Force more TOs than any other team in the BEast. Dont have the numbers but believe we have held all of our conference opponents to below their season average in eFG%. Unfortunately, it turns out the good defense and poor offense is frustrating to watch. Fans prefer offense to defense
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2016, 02:56:45 PM »
Our otherwise solid defense breaks down when we fail to corral a rebound.    Like last night. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2016, 03:11:46 PM »
This. We are a very good defensive team. Force more TOs than any other team in the BEast. Dont have the numbers but believe we have held all of our conference opponents to below their season average in eFG%. Unfortunately, it turns out the good defense and poor offense is frustrating to watch. Fans prefer offense to defense

In BE play, MU is...

1st in Steals
6th in FG% D
6th in 3pt% D
6th in Blocks
8th in scoring D
9th in DReb
9th in DReb %
9th in fouls committed
10th in FG att allowed

Saying MU is awful defensively was an overstatement on my part. They force more TOs than any other BE team, but they are also prone to repeated defensive breakdowns. Aside from steals, this team's defensive stats are not very good.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2016, 03:37:35 PM »
In BE play, MU is...

1st in Steals
6th in FG% D
6th in 3pt% D
6th in Blocks
8th in scoring D
9th in DReb
9th in DReb %
9th in fouls committed
10th in FG att allowed

Saying MU is awful defensively was an overstatement on my part. They force more TOs than any other BE team, but they are also prone to repeated defensive breakdowns. Aside from steals, this team's defensive stats are not very good.

Oh yeah, Kenpom has MU at #48 nationally on defense. Sadly, #215 on offense

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2016, 04:57:29 PM »
Oh yeah, Kenpom has MU at #48 nationally on defense. Sadly, #215 on offense

How are in points off of turnovers?  We seem to miss more fastbreaks created from steals than any other team I have ever seen.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2016, 07:44:39 PM »
Andrew and Aaron Harrison went to UK as the #5 and #6 players nationally.  They both stayed two years.

You just never know.

This is an outstanding point, and a few others here (me included) have said similar things about others who stayed a second year, such as Griffin, Barnes and Smart. Kyle Singler was a higher-ranked recruit than Hank and he stayed FOUR years at Duke.

I don't expect Hank to stay four years and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he left after this one. But you are so right in saying "You just never know." Young folks make all kinds of decisions for all kinds of reasons.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2016, 08:22:44 PM »

You just never know.
and one was a second round draft choice and the other did not get drafted.