[May 03, 2024, 08:27:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: VT Suspends Joey van Zegeren Indefinitely (Twitter Rumor: Tried To Punch Buzz)  (Read 19072 times)

tower912

• All American
"Tales from the Marquette Hardwood", by Tom Pipines and Mike Neufeldt.  Page 8
..."Majerus:  ....we were playing Cincinnatti in Omaha.   Al took Toone out of the game for a bad shot.  Toone said to him,  **** you.
We came in at halftime.   Al couldn't let it go.   He went underneath Toone's chin, and he started saying something to him.   He gave him the finger and then he slapped him.  "
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
"I was in school under Al. I knew Al. Al was a friend of mine. Buzz, you're no Al McGuire."
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
"I was in school under Al. I knew Al. Al was a friend of mine. Buzz, you're no Al McGuire."

Amazing.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

jficke13

• All American
This is a thing? We care that much about our ex coach, on a game day, that we're posting about his disciplining of his players? In the board dedicated to *Marquette* basketball?

Take this garbage to the superbar with arguing over minor league football.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
" You had to be tough (or know how to fake it) to play for McGuire, because eventually you had to fight him before practice, during it, afterward or following games. Joe Hughes, who played with McGuire at St. John’s before transferring to Denver, said he witnessed Al going round and round in the Marquette locker room with macho forward Maurice Lucas.

Bruised and bleeding, his shirt ripped to shreds, McGuire casually remarked, “He’ll think twice about disrespecting me again.” At the same time, Al treasured revolt and prized the rebellious."

http://nypost.com/2009/04/05/mcguire-an-unorthodox-legend/

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"

Still the most devastating political put down, ever. The fact it was on national TV made it epic. Quayle's inability to retort with anything beyond 3rd grade hysterics carved it in stone for the ages.

Death on call

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Still the most devastating political put down, ever. The fact it was on national TV made it epic. Quayle's inability to retort with anything beyond 3rd grade hysterics carved it in stone for the ages.

Best thing that ever happened to Quayle was losing.  He went on to be a vice-chairman of Cerberus proving very skilled as a private equity manager while making about a zillion dollars for himself (way more than Gore),

Yet another case of highly competent in the private sector does not mean you will be a good politician.  In Quayle's case he did it backwards.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 05:50:32 AM by Heisenberg »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
However, Joey van Zegeren’s indefinite suspension does prove that Buzz Williams is not going to except low character just to win games which is going to be a big part of building a winning culture for Virginia Tech basketball.

Jouranalism schools aren't what they used to be.

Above I mixed two stories but forgot the second link.  The second half of the story, which includes the passage above, was from the VT school newspaper.

I think this goes to mindset and why Buzz left.

If we (MU) hear Buzz suspended a player because he tried to punch him out, we think something is terribly wrong with the program.  We fear it is out of control.  Most likely the administration is going to ask for an explanation of how this happened.

Conversely, as the quote above says, they think Buzz's action is a good thing and shows he is getting control.  The quality of player that would do this is not questioned.  It's like they almost expect this kind of behavior but are glad to see the coach will not put up with it.  Buzz will not be asked to account for this type of player.  (In fairness he is an inherited player but I don't think it matters to VT.)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 05:51:27 AM by Heisenberg »

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
" You had to be tough (or know how to fake it) to play for McGuire, because eventually you had to fight him before practice, during it, afterward or following games. Joe Hughes, who played with McGuire at St. John’s before transferring to Denver, said he witnessed Al going round and round in the Marquette locker room with macho forward Maurice Lucas.

Bruised and bleeding, his shirt ripped to shreds, McGuire casually remarked, “He’ll think twice about disrespecting me again.” At the same time, Al treasured revolt and prized the rebellious."

Festivus is not over until someone pins Al McGuire.

brandx

Above I mixed two stories but forgot the second link.  The second half of the story, which includes the passage above, was from the VT school newspaper.

I think this goes to mindset and why Buzz left.

If we (MU) hear Buzz suspended a player because he tried to punch him out, we think something is terribly wrong with the program.  We fear it is out of control.  Most likely the administration is going to ask for an explanation of how this happened.

Conversely, as the quote above says, they think Buzz's action is a good thing and shows he is getting control.  The quality of player that would do this is not questioned.  It's like they almost expect this kind of behavior but are glad to see the coach will not put up with it.  Buzz will not be asked to account for this type of player.  (In fairness he is an inherited player but I don't think it matters to VT.)

I was talking about grammar.

Warrior of Law

• All American
Nearly sprung the upset of Syracuse (68-66) without him.  In front of 6,000 in Blacksburg.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American

Al would have made many here "squirmy".

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
Forget Bert, this is an MU board! Be glad he is gone and lets move on.  This doesn't mean that we shouldn't dis Crean every chance we get.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Al would have made many here "squirmy".

Al was squirmy as hell. But a good and genuine person. He's lucky he coached in the era he did, I don't think he would have been the same if he had to coach in the present day.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

grzy6

• Walk-On
Yet Brent can exhibit respectable character by dancing at half court on an opposing team's floor.  Dork.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Players took swings at Al, and he swung back.

Players take swings at Bert, and he suspends them.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Al was squirmy as hell. But a good and genuine person. He's lucky he coached in the era he did, I don't think he would have been the same if he had to coach in the present day.

I had the unique priviledge of working with Al for 3+ years as the producer of the radio and television network.  He was always a blast to talk to, very genuine, great story teller.  A lifetime thrill for those of us that had the opportunity.

Al also coached in an era where the rules were much different than they are today.  There is a difference between pushing the limit of the rules while being a decent human being, and completely disregarding some of them while being a human a-hole to people in the department that he felt didn't measure up. Let's put it this way, Al isn't Newbilling anyone.  Quite frankly, the last two MU coaches were human a-holes in the people treatment category.

79Warrior

• All American
Nearly sprung the upset of Syracuse (68-66) without him.  In front of 6,000 in Blacksburg.

Good crowd for them considering the students are on break.

willie warrior

• All American
I had the unique priviledge of working with Al for 3+ years as the producer of the radio and television network.  He was always a blast to talk to, very genuine, great story teller.  A lifetime thrill for those of us that had the opportunity.

Al also coached in an era where the rules were much different than they are today.  There is a difference between pushing the limit of the rules while being a decent human being, and completely disregarding some of them while being a human a-hole to people in the department that he felt didn't measure up. Let's put it this way, Al isn't Newbilling anyone.  Quite frankly, the last two MU coaches were human a-holes in the people treatment category.
How dare you speak that way about the phony hillbilly cowboy. No wonder so many posters dis you. Talking about the Saint of Downhome that way!! Please!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Lennys Tap

• All American
Yet Brent can exhibit respectable character by dancing at half court on an opposing team's floor.  Dork.

Al stands on the scorer's table arms raised after a win over Wisconsin as the moron father of the Hughes twins gives him the finger.

Buzz dances to "Country Roads" after a win in Morgantown as the Mountaineer crazies go batcrap.

Two of my favorite MU basketball memories.

Lennys Tap

• All American
I had the unique priviledge of working with Al for 3+ years as the producer of the radio and television network.  He was always a blast to talk to, very genuine, great story teller.  A lifetime thrill for those of us that had the opportunity.

Al also coached in an era where the rules were much different than they are today.  There is a difference between pushing the limit of the rules while being a decent human being, and completely disregarding some of them while being a human a-hole to people in the department that he felt didn't measure up. Let's put it this way, Al isn't Newbilling anyone.  Quite frankly, the last two MU coaches were human a-holes in the people treatment category.

I could write a book about your pathological need to name drop, exaggerate your importance and demean Buzz - but I'll leave that to your biographer. However...

Here is the truth you need to confront: Al McGuire personally and the Al McGuire era at Marquette were everything you claim to despise. You love you some NCAA and defend them at every turn. Al hated them and saw through them as corrupt and defenders of only the powerful. You hate "Just win, baby" - it was Al's mantra. We were the Oakland Raiders of college basketball. We were the misfits - JUCOs, transfers, kids with bad grades and bad scores from bad schools and bad neighborhoods. The kind of kids a guy like you can't stand because you think they devalue your degree. Al and the program were on the edge, renegades, anti establishment. We loved him and players in part because of that. If we can believe what you opine regularly on Scoop you would have hated him and them.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 08:19:03 AM by Lennys Tap »

wadesworld

• All American
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

dgies9156

• All American
Al stands on the scorer's table arms raised after a win over Wisconsin as the moron father of the Hughes twins gives him the finger.

Buzz dances to "Country Roads" after a win in Morgantown as the Mountaineer crazies go batcrap.

Two of my favorite MU basketball memories.

Al shows up Ole Man Hughes and feels good about it. Would do it again tomorrow under the same circumstance, the Good Lord Willing.

The Hillbilly, country bumpkin that he is and was, would apologize for it and retreat into false modesty. I use to gag when I heard him say, "we're just honored to be here."

What the Hillbilly should have said was that our opponents, our conference and the NCAA should be proud to have us!

Benny B

• All American
http://sports.yahoo.com/video/sideline-dance-moves-vts-buzz-211119069.html

Well, he's still a nut.

Is it just me, or does it look like he's not just back on the sweet tea again, but he's on sweet tea again with a vengeance?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
This is a thing? We care that much about our ex coach, on a game day, that we're posting about his disciplining of his players? In the board dedicated to *Marquette* basketball?

Take this garbage to the superbar with arguing over minor league football.

Why are you whining like a point guard who got stripped of the ball and then had the ball dunked over him?  You read the thread title.  If you disliked it so much, why did you click on it?  Why don't you just PM everyone who posts in the thread and let us have your list of acceptable topics?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback