[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:22:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: VT Suspends Joey van Zegeren Indefinitely (Twitter Rumor: Tried To Punch Buzz)  (Read 19071 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
@DavidTeelatDP  #Hokies announce indefinite suspension of Joey van Zegeren for demonstrating "a lack of discipline and self-control at practice."

Twitter is saying this means he tried to punch out Buzz in practice.

Joey van Zegeren banned indefinitely

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12112843/virginia-tech-hokies-f-joey-van-zegeren-suspended-indefinitely

Virginia Tech forward Joey van Zegeren has been suspended indefinitely from the team.

Coach Buzz Williams said in a statement the 6-foot-10 redshirt junior "demonstrated a lack of discipline and self-control at practice." The statement gave no further details.

Van Zegeren is the Hokies' leading rebounder with a 5.3 average and third-leading scorer at 9.8 points per game. He has started only three of the first 13 games, averaging 20.4 minutes.

Virginia Tech (8-5) opens Atlantic Coast Conference play Saturday against Syracuse (9-4).

It is unknown what exactly caused this suspension, but it definitely is a statement that Williams is willing to suspend anyone if they break the team rules. It will be interesting to see how long van Zegeren ends up being suspended for, but the timing of the suspension means that he will not play against Syracuse.
More From Virginia Tech Men's Basketball

This definitely will hurt the Hokies against Syracuse as the Orange have two very good big men in Rakeem Christmas and Chris McCullough. These players are dominant in the post and are both at least 6’9” while the Hokies only have one player that is at least 6’9” in Satchel Pierce.

The experience of Joey van Zegeren would have been valuable in this game, but the Hokies will now need Pierce, Shane Henry, and Christian Beyer to all step up in the Dutch big man’s absence. This game against Syracuse was already going to be a challenge, but the loss of van Zegeren hurts even more.

It would not be surprising if van Zegeren is back in a couple of games though the length of the suspension could tell us more about how substantial the problem was. Hopefully, van Zegeren will get his act together and this will only be a one time issue with the Dutch big man.

However, Joey van Zegeren’s indefinite suspension does prove that Buzz Williams is not going to except low character just to win games which is going to be a big part of building a winning culture for Virginia Tech basketball.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 12:02:50 PM by Heisenberg »

tower912

• All American
Shades of James Matthews. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
Van der Sloot, van Zegeren.. what is it with these crazy Dutch?

Hopefully when he threw the punch he didn't mean it in the wrong way.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

forgetful

• All American
I wonder if all this is starting to mess with his happy.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
I see Buzz's coaching career going the way of Kevin O'Neill.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
I admit, I looked the other way many times (especially early on) with Buzz and the never ending player discipline issues.  It is just so evident now we are WAY better off without his act here.  I'm so glad he's gone and far away from our program now. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American

However, Joey van Zegeren’s indefinite suspension does prove that Buzz Williams is not going to except low character just to win games which is going to be a big part of building a winning culture for Virginia Tech basketball.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

chren21

• All American
Anyone watching this game. ?   Buzz looks like his eyes may explode out of his head at any second. 

Groin_pull

• All American
I can understand this. Brent's face is very punchable.

Tums Festival

• All American
First time I've ever wanted Syracuse to win a basketball game.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
8 - 5? One guy taller than 6'9"? Hell, he could have had that here, only with better uniforms.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

pbiflyer

• All American
This kid is now one of my favorite players of all time.

brandx

Jouranalism schools aren't what they used to be.

Jay Bee

• All American

I thought he did "except" van Zegeren from today's game?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Sylvester78

• Scholarship Player
I admit, I looked the other way many times (especially early on) with Buzz and the never ending player discipline issues.  It is just so evident now we are WAY better off without his act here.  I'm so glad he's gone and far away from our program now. 

Agree wholeheartedly.  I was very uncomfortable the way things operated under Buzz.  I am surprised most were OK with it in the name of winning. Wojo is and will be a Godsend.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Just a punch?  Weak.  That cat from IU at least tossed at potted plant at I4.

Lighthouse 84

• All American

+ 1
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

4everwarriors

• All American
Character revealed, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Gotta love a "Big Dutchman"

Death on call

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for

You're just going to have to learn to except that.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Wonder if this means buzz doesn't love Joey anymore
don't...don't don't don't don't

79Warrior

• All American
Character revealed, aina?

Let's be fair, Al let plenty of fisticuffs happen.

warriorchick

• All American
Let's be fair, Al let plenty of fisticuffs happen.

He let his players hit him?
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
He didn't LET them. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Nukem2

• All American
He let his players hit him?
Yes.  Well documented.

feedback