[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:22:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Todd Mayo goes 4th round in D-League  (Read 18986 times)

westcoastwarrior

• Starter
Todd Mayo goes 4th round in D-League
« on: November 01, 2014, 06:14:18 PM »
Goes to Knicks d-league team

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
Re: Todd Mayo goes 4th round in D-League
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 06:24:12 PM »
Good luck, Toddward.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 06:37:16 PM »
He's got a good chance to get playing time there. But will he complain when Melo doesn't pass the ball?
SS Marquette

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 06:52:15 PM »
He's got a good chance to get playing time there. But will he complain when Melo doesn't pass the ball?

If he gets to the team that Melo plays on, and he spends time on the floor with Melo waiting for a pass (aka not garbage time) ... at that point he can complain all he wants!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 08:42:52 PM »
Can we add Toddler to our NBA players poster yet or do we have to Hold the Mayo?  Is OJ now Toddler's brother?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 08:55:06 PM »
Wish him well in his journey

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 03:18:35 AM »
Without all his baggage, troublesome issues ala stealing sneakers from teammates, failing classes and not listening to coaches this kid coulda actually got drafted to the NBA..

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 03:35:38 AM »
Without all his baggage, troublesome issues ala stealing sneakers from teammates, failing classes and not listening to coaches this kid coulda actually got drafted to the NBA..

He's actually still NBA Draft eligible.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 03:39:09 AM »
He's actually still NBA Draft eligible.

If you were a nba gm would you draft him. . . . .

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 09:46:10 AM »

Stealing from teammates?? Is that confirmed? Good Lord that had to screw up team chemistry.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 02:04:56 PM »
"And with the 51st pick in the 2015 NBA Draft, the New York Knicks select Todd Mayo, brother of OJ Mayo, of Marquette University"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 04:24:59 PM »

He's maybe got a good chance to get playing time in the D-League. Guards like him are a dime a dozen in the NBA.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 07:37:42 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 07:25:00 PM »
I don't follow the NBADL. As a 4th round pick, am I more likely to be teammates with him at a YMCA pickup game than Duncan is to be teammates with him on the Spurs?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 08:15:39 PM »
Without all his baggage, troublesome issues ala stealing sneakers from teammates, failing classes and not listening to coaches this kid coulda shoulda actually got drafted to the NBA..

FIFY.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 12:43:38 AM »

I don't know where this garbage came from. The situation with mayo had nothing to do with most of these things. The reason he was not ellgible that semester was because he dropped a class, not because of failing it. The reason he missed the Madison game though there was more to the story but I haven't heard any of the trash you're spewing.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 04:43:10 PM »
I don't follow the NBADL. As a 4th round pick, am I more likely to be teammates with him at a YMCA pickup game than Duncan is to be teammates with him on the Spurs?

He's on the Westchester training camp roster of 16.  They have to cut it down to 10.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 04:45:26 PM »
If you were a nba gm would you draft him. . . . .

Haven't seen him play in the NBDL yet, but based on his MU career? Never in a million years.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 08:06:51 PM »
I don't know where this garbage came from. The situation with mayo had nothing to do with most of these things. The reason he was not ellgible that semester was because he dropped a class, not because of failing it. The reason he missed the Madison game though there was more to the story but I haven't heard any of the trash you're spewing.

My suggestion is before you bash the poster, you might want to look into it a little further.  Mayo's continued eligibility was a contentious issue, and it could be argued is the main reason Buzz is no longer at Marquette.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 08:24:18 PM »

My suggestion is before you bash the poster, you might want to look into it a little further.  Mayo's continued eligibility was a contentious issue, and it could be argued is the main reason Buzz is no longer at Marquette.

Ya well I know a lot about the situation actually, probably more then most here.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 09:35:28 PM »
Ya well I know a lot about the situation actually, probably more then most here.

#donedeal

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2014, 07:07:36 AM »

My suggestion is before you bash the poster, you might want to look into it a little further.  Mayo's continued eligibility was a contentious issue, and it could be argued is the main reason Buzz is no longer at Marquette.

Lol, exactly.... You have no idea who or what anyone knows..

« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 07:15:37 AM by Nevada233 »

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2014, 12:47:39 PM »
I had him going in round 3 of my Mock D-League Draft. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2014, 01:07:21 PM »

Typical know nothing Scoop poster.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2014, 01:18:18 PM »

Getting 3rd round value in the 4th round - that's how you win the big dough in D League Fantasy Basketball!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2014, 01:24:25 PM »

Honestly it sounds like you know a lot about a part of the situation with Mayo.  Nevada knows more than you are giving him credit for.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2014, 04:55:29 PM »

Honestly it sounds like you know a lot about a part of the situation with Mayo.  Nevada knows more than you are giving him credit for.

Who posted "Todd Mayo Leaves Marquette To pursue a Pro Career" before anyone in here knew it happened, Nevada did and not because I guessed...

Some of us really know what goes on behind the scenes and I know for a fact Todd got into physical fights on 2 seperate occassions last year and was suspended for the Wisconsin game because he showed up late for practice.

These are facts not guesses, so dont shoot the messenger.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2014, 05:42:25 PM »
So...it's not that Buzz didn't play him enough, it is more like he was lucky to be on the team at all.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2014, 07:05:57 PM »
So...it's not that Buzz didn't play him enough, it is more like he was lucky to be on the team at all.   

BS. I have it on good authority here that Buzz was trying to lose games and that's why Mayo wasn't playing

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2014, 07:07:33 PM »
Who posted "Todd Mayo Leaves Marquette To pursue a Pro Career" before anyone in here knew it happened, Nevada did and not because I guessed...

Some of us really know what goes on behind the scenes and I know for a fact Todd got into physical fights on 2 seperate occassions last year and was suspended for the Wisconsin game because he showed up late for practice.

These are facts not guesses, so dont shoot the messenger.

Can you clarify if they were fights with teammates? The shoe-stealing didn't help team chemistry , but this would probably have made things seriously terrible on the team.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2014, 07:12:30 PM »

If you are going to put up with the B.S., associated with Mayo..and keep him on the team - then use him for what he's best at:  playing basketball.  If a guy leads you to wins, helps you win, then as teammates you can deal with some of the extracurricular crap.  May not like the guy, but you realize winning tastes a lot better than losing.

BS. I have it on good authority here that Buzz was trying to lose games and that's why Mayo wasn't playing

And you are back.

Buzz lead a team picked to win the Big East in the preseason, a Top 20 team, with more returning experience than ever before to missing the f'ing NIT...inspiring JJJ and Steve Taylor to transfer, while uninspiring Devante and Jamil to even thank him during their senior day speeches.  It was a lousy coaching performance.  To acknowledge otherwise is ridiculous.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2014, 07:30:18 PM »
And you are back.

Buzz lead a team picked to win the Big East in the preseason, a Top 20 team, with more returning experience than ever before to missing the f'ing NIT...inspiring JJJ and Steve Taylor to transfer, while uninspiring Devante and Jamil to even thank him during their senior day speeches.  It was a lousy coaching performance.  To acknowledge otherwise is ridiculous.

I never left. And, yes, I will occasionally call out one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard (Buzz throwing games on purpose). Now, I will 150% agree with you that Buzz failed as a coach and GM last season and that it was a "lousy" performance. But that is separate from believing he lost games on purpose.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2014, 09:28:50 PM »
If you are going to put up with the B.S., associated with Mayo..and keep him on the team - then use him for what he's best at:  playing basketball.  If a guy leads you to wins, helps you win, then as teammates you can deal with some of the extracurricular crap.  May not like the guy, but you realize winning tastes a lot better than losing.

So if a player screws up and makes poor decisions off the court, he either needs to be cut or allowed to play? When a student athlete gets in a certain amount of trouble, you bench them. That is the standard repercussion in any athletic department. You don't play a troublemaker just because he's talented...unless you're Florida State...or Florida...or Mizzou...or Washington...let me rephrase, you shouldn't play a troublemaker just because he's talented. But that doesn't mean you cut him either. After a certain point, yes, cut him. Mayo probably passed that point for most athletic programs long before Wojo arrived.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2014, 07:04:19 AM »

Below is my opinion...nothing else.

I think Buzz got himself between a rock and a hard place with Todd.  Todd should not have been at Marquette.  But Buzz went to the wall for him to the point that it ultimately cost LW his job.  But when Todd didn't change, Buzz really couldn't have dropped him without having serious egg on his face - he very likely could have been the next one out the door.  So Buzz limited his playing time.

Ultimately Todd should have simply been off the team after his freshman year when he was academically ineligible. 

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2014, 07:41:42 AM »
Can you clarify if they were fights with teammates? The shoe-stealing didn't help team chemistry , but this would probably have made things seriously terrible on the team.

Yes there were physical fights... Like blows thrown....

I was told personally, Todd was a loner he would come to practice, warm up alone, shoot around alone and wasn't someone you can build around. If your a player that built no comradery or rapport with his teammates or coaches how successful are you going to be.
Todd would carry himself as if he had already made it (I mean having a brother that plays professionally in the same building as you would do that to alot of people) and  he took a huge offense to not starting and players playing more than him especially when the ship started to sink on the season. But based off his actions he did virtually nothing to change that. Per a player, when Wojo came aboard Todds Marquette days were virtually over, on his last day with the team he had a meeting about his role and that he would have to earn the trust of the staff and coaches. That didn't go to well because Todd automatically assumed he was gonna be "The Goods" long story short he stormed out of the meeting quitting the team at the same time and was asked while walking out Al Mcquire Center.... Where are you going? he said "I'm going Pro..."

As far as the team goes there were alot of uneasy players and families about Buzzes coaching especially when things were going wrong and the frosh were glued to the pine, Its no secret that more than one player were literally one foot out the door if buzz came back and stayed once they knew he was gone. If you ask buzz he will probably say he put his "Best" lineup out there to give him a chance to win, but I personally think there were many instances where change was needed but didn't happen.

If we are gonna play 4 on 5 again this year. We can just pack up the season get some of next years role players some on the court experience and for next years Super Recruiting Class....

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2014, 09:58:50 AM »

I was told personally, Todd was a loner he would come to practice, warm up alone, shoot around alone and wasn't someone you can build around. If your a player that built no comradery or rapport with his teammates or coaches how successful are you going to be.
Todd would carry himself as if he had already made it (I mean having a brother that plays professionally in the same building as you would do that to alot of people) and  he took a huge offense to not starting and players playing more than him especially when the ship started to sink on the season. But based off his actions he did virtually nothing to change that. Per a player, when Wojo came aboard Todds Marquette days were virtually over, on his last day with the team he had a meeting about his role and that he would have to earn the trust of the staff and coaches. That didn't go to well because Todd automatically assumed he was gonna be "The Goods" long story short he stormed out of the meeting quitting the team at the same time and was asked while walking out Al Mcquire Center.... Where are you going? he said "I'm going Pro..."

As far as the team goes there were alot of uneasy players and families about Buzzes coaching especially when things were going wrong and the frosh were glued to the pine, Its no secret that more than one player were literally one foot out the door if buzz came back and stayed once they knew he was gone. If you ask buzz he will probably say he put his "Best" lineup out there to give him a chance to win, but I personally think there were many instances where change was needed but didn't happen.

If we are gonna play 4 on 5 again this year. We can just pack up the season get some of next years role players some on the court experience and for next years Super Recruiting Class....

Appreciate the info/insight Nevada.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2014, 10:22:46 AM »

Below is my opinion...nothing else.

I think Buzz got himself between a rock and a hard place with Todd.  Todd should not have been at Marquette.  But Buzz went to the wall for him to the point that it ultimately cost LW his job.  But when Todd didn't change, Buzz really couldn't have dropped him without having serious egg on his face - he very likely could have been the next one out the door.  So Buzz limited his playing time.

Ultimately Todd should have simply been off the team after his freshman year when he was academically ineligible. 

This seems reasonable/probable.

I don't mind a coach taking a chance on a kid, but that kid needs to be accountable and take care of business on and off of the court.

Todd seemed to struggle in that regard, and I don't know that keeping him at MU was doing Todd or MU any favors.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2014, 10:58:30 AM »

Dude.  Can't you understand?

If a guy leads you to wins, helps you win, then as teammates you can deal with some of the extracurricular crap.  May not like the guy, but you realize winning tastes a lot better than losing.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2014, 11:09:31 AM »

If a guy leads you to wins, helps you win, then as teammates you can deal with some of the extracurricular crap.  May not like the guy, but you realize winning tastes a lot better than losing.

Clearly you've never had exposure to what goes on in high major ball, or professional sports teams for that matter.  There are 100s of cases of guys who are great players who are less than great teammates...and teams keep those guys around because their talent helps the team win games.

Please come with something a little stronger next time Reinko.  I know you have it in you.  For a Boston guy, that's pretty weak sauce.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

reinko

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2014, 11:27:07 AM »
Clearly you've never had exposure to what goes on in high major ball, or professional sports teams for that matter.  There are 100s of cases of guys who are great players who are less than great teammates...and teams keep those guys around because their talent helps the team win games.

Please come with something a little stronger next time Reinko.  I know you have it in you.  For a Boston guy, that's pretty weak sauce.

I mean, these are only your greatest hits from your first few months here...but I could go on. 

I've never seen Junior play, never seen Smith play - but I'll always put my money on pure athleticism.  Smith looks like his body and athleticism are Big East ready right now.  He looks like he will be very strong too.  I can see him giving Junior fits, just based on quicks and athleticism alone.  A guy with this kind of athletic ability doesn't need to be a great shooter as he can constantly get to the rack, and furthermore he can break down a defense easily and create draw and kick opportunities for other players - Blue, Jones, etc.

+1:  In Buzz I Trust.  My personal belief is that Buzz Williams will be Tom Crean's biggest contribution to the MU program, as history unfolds.  Obviously D-Wade, Diener and the Final Four are great accomplishments in Tom Crean's career, but I believ Buzz Williams will be here for 10+ years and in that time take us to at least one Final Four, perhaps 2.  Why do I say that, just based on this body of work so far, and his character and approach.

Hayward said it best in this above post - DJO is a STUD, star in the making.  I'll go as far to say he is the best player to come to MU since D-Wade..yes I realize that implies better than any of the Big 3..and I stand by that comment.  I could almost see DJO being good enough to turn pro after next year (his junior season).

Good question you pose.  I'd take Buzz Williams over Keno Davis, Tony Bennett, Anthony Grant, Sean Miller...or any of the other coaches we "hoped" for after Tom Crean left.  Buzz has been an underdog his whole life, has had to work for everything he's gotten in the coaching game - not having been a former NCAA basketball player.  This team is a direct reflection of who Buzz Williams is:  tough, ultra competitive, huge heart, getting the most out of individual potential, disciplined, and intelligent.  GO BUZZ!!

We better lock Buzz Williams up for a long time.  He is THE REAL DEAL.  Just read this quote from JSOnline:
Hill (Rutgers Coach Fred Hill) said your team is tough. What does that mean to you: "I want to be the husband and father that God intended for me to be as a human being. As a coach and everybody that I'm around, I want them to be, every day, tough suckers. Not game-day tough guys, not we're about to play a game tough guys. Every day, grind-it-out, work, be the toughest dude you can be. That's what I want to be. And if that's what our team is and that's what Coach Hill thinks, and I mean this in a sincere way, we appreciate that, because that's the highest compliment I think our team can have."

How can these guys not be well prepared for life after basketball?  Buzz is no phony, and has had to work his A$$ everyday to get to where he is today.  His message will get through to these kids, because he is a walking example of what hard work and focus will get you in life.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2014, 01:20:15 PM »
I mean, these are only your greatest hits from your first few months here...but I could go on. 

I've never seen Junior play, never seen Smith play - but I'll always put my money on pure athleticism.  Smith looks like his body and athleticism are Big East ready right now.  He looks like he will be very strong too.  I can see him giving Junior fits, just based on quicks and athleticism alone.  A guy with this kind of athletic ability doesn't need to be a great shooter as he can constantly get to the rack, and furthermore he can break down a defense easily and create draw and kick opportunities for other players - Blue, Jones, etc.

+1:  In Buzz I Trust.  My personal belief is that Buzz Williams will be Tom Crean's biggest contribution to the MU program, as history unfolds.  Obviously D-Wade, Diener and the Final Four are great accomplishments in Tom Crean's career, but I believ Buzz Williams will be here for 10+ years and in that time take us to at least one Final Four, perhaps 2.  Why do I say that, just based on this body of work so far, and his character and approach.

Hayward said it best in this above post - DJO is a STUD, star in the making.  I'll go as far to say he is the best player to come to MU since D-Wade..yes I realize that implies better than any of the Big 3..and I stand by that comment.  I could almost see DJO being good enough to turn pro after next year (his junior season).

Good question you pose.  I'd take Buzz Williams over Keno Davis, Tony Bennett, Anthony Grant, Sean Miller...or any of the other coaches we "hoped" for after Tom Crean left.  Buzz has been an underdog his whole life, has had to work for everything he's gotten in the coaching game - not having been a former NCAA basketball player.  This team is a direct reflection of who Buzz Williams is:  tough, ultra competitive, huge heart, getting the most out of individual potential, disciplined, and intelligent.  GO BUZZ!!

We better lock Buzz Williams up for a long time.  He is THE REAL DEAL.  Just read this quote from JSOnline:
Hill (Rutgers Coach Fred Hill) said your team is tough. What does that mean to you: "I want to be the husband and father that God intended for me to be as a human being. As a coach and everybody that I'm around, I want them to be, every day, tough suckers. Not game-day tough guys, not we're about to play a game tough guys. Every day, grind-it-out, work, be the toughest dude you can be. That's what I want to be. And if that's what our team is and that's what Coach Hill thinks, and I mean this in a sincere way, we appreciate that, because that's the highest compliment I think our team can have."

How can these guys not be well prepared for life after basketball?  Buzz is no phony, and has had to work his A$$ everyday to get to where he is today.  His message will get through to these kids, because he is a walking example of what hard work and focus will get you in life.

And what's your point?  A few statements/predictions I made WAY early on in Buzz's first year didn't all quite come true?  There's also lots in there that was pretty on point.  It's sad that by Year 6 the success Buzz had got to his head, and inflated his ego beyond belief.  And, he's paying the price now for that ego trying to cobble together a competitive program in a perennial cellar dweller in the ACC.

Don't worry though, I won't go through your post history to come up with some of your gems.  Guys like you aren't worth the time.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2014, 01:27:41 PM »

So you would be ok with Marquette having poor character guys on the team as long as they win?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2014, 01:48:11 PM »
And what's your point?  A few statements/predictions I made WAY early on in Buzz's first year didn't all quite come true?  There's also lots in there that was pretty on point.  It's sad that by Year 6 the success Buzz had got to his head, and inflated his ego beyond belief.  And, he's paying the price now for that ego trying to cobble together a competitive program in a perennial cellar dweller in the ACC.

Don't worry though, I won't go through your post history to come up with some of your gems.  Guys like you aren't worth the time.

Well, I think the point is that we can all be wrong from time to time, and we need to allow for that.

Just because somebody disagrees with me, doesn't mean I should automatically dismiss their opinion as "basketball stupid" and treat them as an adversary.

We can all exchange opinions and discuss without hammering each other with absolutes.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2014, 01:57:24 PM »
And what's your point?  A few statements/predictions I made WAY early on in Buzz's first year didn't all quite come true?  There's also lots in there that was pretty on point.  It's sad that by Year 6 the success Buzz had got to his head, and inflated his ego beyond belief.  And, he's paying the price now for that ego trying to cobble together a competitive program in a perennial cellar dweller in the ACC.

Don't worry though, I won't go through your post history to come up with some of your gems.  Guys like you aren't worth the time.

Please go right ahead, 95% of my posts are gifs, smart assery, and annoying people who care waaaaayyyyy too much about an orange ball going through hoop that is 10 ft. in the air.

Edit.  Going into your post history is fun! I once called Steph Curry a stretch to make an NBA roster!   
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 02:06:12 PM by rEllensonko »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2014, 02:05:16 PM »

We can all exchange opinions and discuss without hammering each other with absolutes.

We ALL can? That's an absolute that is unfortunately disproven on a regular basis here.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2014, 02:09:26 PM »
We ALL can? That's an absolute that is unfortunately disproven on a regular basis here.

There are only a few here that deal in absolutes and try to beat you into submission until you abdicate.    Most can carry on conversations with people with different views. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2014, 02:24:51 PM »
Well, I think the point is that we can all be wrong from time to time, and we need to allow for that.

Just because somebody disagrees with me, doesn't mean I should automatically dismiss their opinion as "basketball stupid" and treat them as an adversary.

The Tao of Ammo. We could all learn from this.

Namaste.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2014, 02:29:20 PM »
There are only a few here that deal in absolutes and try to beat you into submission until you abdicate.    Most can carry on conversations with people with different views. 

Agreed.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2014, 02:31:07 PM »

And some here never actually make any forward looking predictions or statements, but instead ride the middle ground and play things incredibly "safe."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2014, 02:32:24 PM »
And some here never actually make any forward looking predictions or statements, but instead ride the middle ground and play things incredibly "safe."

That's the way the world is.  It's not black and white.  Mostly shades of grey. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2014, 02:35:16 PM »
Please go right ahead, 95% of my posts are gifs, smart assery, and annoying people who care waaaaayyyyy too much about an orange ball going through hoop that is 10 ft. in the air.

Edit.  Going into your post history is fun! I once called Steph Curry a stretch to make an NBA roster!   

Little else needs to be said about your contributions here.  They'd at least have some* value if they actually demonstrated a good sense of humor.  But nope, mostly bricks.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2014, 02:37:20 PM »

Hey,

Teams (NBA, College and overseas) are more than willing to deal with "Extra Crap" from lottery picks, one and dones guys who are top tier and fill up the stands....

I highly doubt any team is jumping out the window to sign Todd. His talent and headache he can cause are on 2 different planets....

So yea if it were Jabari Parker or Andrew Wiggins yes, but a Junior who wasn't even starting no chance.... If Vander Blue can't stick on an NBA Roster... Todd can forget it.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2014, 02:39:03 PM »

Yet we are on a message board that often has topics speculating and debating how a season my go, how good of coach is Tom Crean/Buzz Williams, etc.?  Which players will step up?  Which players will struggle.  Could different lineups been employed.

So, lots of speculation and opinions shared - some just share none - but instead critique those of the people offering actual opinions and speculation.

The very immature go back through a person's post history and try to pull statements made that were wrong.  

Ironcially, Sultan, you may recall I said once Jake Thomas transferred here, that he stood a good chance of playing during actual meaningful gametimes...and that was roundly met with disagreement.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2014, 02:40:23 PM »
Clearly you've never had exposure to what goes on in high major ball, or professional sports teams for that matter.  There are 100s of cases of guys who are great players who are less than great teammates...and teams keep those guys around because their talent helps the team win games.

But Todd isn't a great player.  He's not worth it.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2014, 02:42:03 PM »
Yet we are on a message board that often has topics speculating and debating how a season my go, how good of coach is Tom Crean/Buzz Williams, etc.?  Which players will step up?  Which players will struggle.  Could different lineups been employed.

So, lots of speculation and opinions shared - some just share none - but instead critique those of the people offering actual opinions and speculation.

The very immature go back through a person's post history and try to pull statements made that were wrong.  

Ironcially, Sultan, you may recall I said once Jake Thomas transferred here, that he stood a good chance of playing during actual meaningful gametimes...and that was roundly met with disagreement.

So, just to be clear, I can say whatever I want, and if I'm wrong, nobody can mention it?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2014, 02:42:17 PM »

But Todd isn't a great player.  He's not worth it.

Ultimately, probably not - yet, he was the best guard option on last year's team...and he also showed some pretty big stones at times in his MU career.  The potential was there, yet as has been posted...Todd had a hard time getting out of his own way.

I have no doubt that if I were Todd Mayo, it would have frustrated the hell out of me riding the bench behind Jake Thomas.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2014, 02:47:04 PM »
So, just to be clear, I can say whatever I want, and if I'm wrong, nobody can mention it?

Well that would actually require you to make posts that actual speculate on the topics discussed here.  You are excellent at latching on to others predictive and forward looking statements, and shooting holes in them after the fact.  Of course nobody is going to be 100% right when they make forward looking predictions...some 5 to 10 years down the road.

I was roundly mocked here when I said after 5 games in his career that Gardner could/would be a better player than Robert Jackson as a senior.  Mocked when I said (in year 1 of his tenure) Buzz likely would lead us to Final Fours/Elite 8's if he stuck around 10 years.

Of course I've missed on my share of predictions as well..as does anyone.  What's lame are those who offer none, and then try to mock those who do. 

Are you a banker by chance?

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2014, 02:50:09 PM »
Hey,

Teams (NBA, College and overseas) are more than willing to deal with "Extra Crap" from lottery picks, one and dones guys who are top tier and fill up the stands....

I highly doubt any team is jumping out the window to sign Todd. His talent and headache he can cause are on 2 different planets....

So yea if it were Jabari Parker or Andrew Wiggins yes, but a Junior who wasn't even starting no chance.... If Vander Blue can't stick on an NBA Roster... Todd can forget it.

Nevada, reinko was being sarcastic.

You're completely right about Todd. A coach will take on a problem if the guy's talent is worth it. Todd was not a high-level talent by any means. Why Buzz stuck his neck out for Todd is the real question.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2014, 02:51:36 PM »
Ultimately, probably not - yet, he was the best guard option on last year's team...and he also showed some pretty big stones at times in his MU career.  The potential was there, yet as has been posted...Todd had a hard time getting out of his own way.

I have no doubt that if I were Todd Mayo, it would have frustrated the hell out of me riding the bench behind Jake Thomas.

If I was Todd Mayo, I would have taken it as a huge flashing neon sign that I needed to clean up my act, play to my assignment on both ends of the floor at all times, and hustle.   I would ask myself what I am doing wrong that the coach, (who is the one in charge of such things, not me) would play a player who I don't believe can hold my jock.    And then I would become the player that the coach wanted.   Especially after he gave me all of the extra chances and stuck his neck out for me.   But I am not Todd Mayo and he is not me.    

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2014, 02:54:57 PM »

He didn't ride the bench behind Jake Thomas. That's just not true. When he wasn't injured or in a doghouse he built with his own two hands he was playing big minutes WITH Jake, not sitting behind him.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2014, 03:03:14 PM »
Well that would actually require you to make posts that actual speculate on the topics discussed here.  You are excellent at latching on to others predictive and forward looking statements, and shooting holes in them after the fact.  Of course nobody is going to be 100% right when they make forward looking predictions...some 5 to 10 years down the road.

I was roundly mocked here when I said after 5 games in his career that Gardner could/would be a better player than Robert Jackson as a senior.  Mocked when I said (in year 1 of his tenure) Buzz likely would lead us to Final Fours/Elite 8's if he stuck around 10 years.

Of course I've missed on my share of predictions as well..as does anyone.  What's lame are those who offer none, and then try to mock those who do. 

Are you a banker by chance?

I think fundamentally we're approaching this from different places.

I'm don't come to the internet to predict things. I have some opinions, and if I feel strongly, or if I have something of value, I'll share it.

That's it. I don't need to be right, and I don't need to prove anybody wrong.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2014, 03:06:21 PM »

I'm telling you... we really need to start a porn thread.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2014, 03:26:40 PM »
How much does the D league pay about 20K... A year. Lol

reinko

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2014, 04:00:53 PM »
Hey,

The 2nd part was a direct quote from our the MUScoop intramural dunk champion himself.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2014, 04:27:24 PM »
The 2nd part was a direct quote from our the MUScoop intramural dunk champion himself.

Yet another feeble attempt at humor?  Time to go back to the drawing board Reinko. Don't quit your day job buddy.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2014, 03:45:10 AM »
Lol this was a great post!

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2014, 06:19:35 AM »
I wish there were an muscoop boxing tournament where everyone could take their aggression out and where you have to wear your username on your trunks.

Things get hilarious and straight off the tracks in almost every thread. It's why I keep coming back, aside from the actual solid info about mu basketball and recruiting.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2014, 10:54:59 AM »

You did this exact thing (bolded) to me (even starting a brand new thread insulting me) during the early days of the DJ Newbill fiasco. Only then, I was absolutely correct and you were made to look like a fool when what I posted came out to be true. $hit happens.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2014, 11:40:03 AM »
You did this exact thing (bolded) to me (even starting a brand new thread insulting me) during the early days of the DJ Newbill fiasco. Only then, I was absolutely correct and you were made to look like a fool when what I posted came out to be true. $hit happens.

That's fair - I did do that and it wasn't mature, and something I refrained from doing again.  Yet, as big of Buzz fan as I was early on, and incredibly supportive, I did say the Newbill situation made me uncomfortable, but at that point I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

You had a pretty consistent posting history of bashing Buzz on a lot of stuff, while championing Tom Crean..much like Chicos.  I found it odd as to why some would bash our current coach and try to champion our former that left on his own accord.

End of the day, virtually every high major coach is going to have a few warts...its a sleazy business.  Too bad Buzz jobbed Newbill, as he's proven to be a very good player and high character kid.  He'll have a big year at PSU this year, even while not surrounded with much talent.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2014, 12:08:15 PM »
I wish there were an muscoop boxing tournament where everyone could take their aggression out and where you have to wear your username on your trunks.

Things get hilarious and straight off the tracks in almost every thread. It's why I keep coming back, aside from the actual solid info about mu basketball and recruiting.

Foxy Boxing?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2014, 12:11:24 PM »

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2014, 01:04:49 PM »

this is hilarious.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2014, 01:49:42 PM »

There is a difference between great players who are less than great teammates and good players who are terrible teammates.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2014, 04:44:54 PM »

I'm in  ;D
Maigh Eo for Sam

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2014, 08:08:11 PM »