[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by brewcity77
[May 03, 2024, 08:27:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz's "Antics"  (Read 18956 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Buzz's "Antics"
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 08:17:30 PM »
The photo that ran in the Milwaukee Journal actually blocked out the"we're #1" finger.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2013, 08:18:14 PM »
Buzz saw some of that at WVU last year.....
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2013, 08:22:20 PM »
Buzz saw some of that at WVU last year.....

I always hated that WVU Hillbilly mascot. Even stranger was they had an infant dressed up in buckskins, too.

Death on call

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2013, 10:32:26 PM »
A classic that will never grow old

God love him! We certainly did.

Al was a role model for the 1970s. Honorable and straightforward on the inside and crusty and obnoxious on the outside. We loved him because he was "our's." Much of the African American community loved him because Al didn't care less what your skin color was -- as long as you could play ball.

And anyone who stood up to Bigot Boy Rupp deserves a free sanctification and immediate pass to heaven. Maybe Al can throw him  a cool drink from up where he is down to where Bigot Boy is. I suppose Bigot Boy needs it worse than Al does.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2013, 02:13:08 AM »
God love him! We certainly did.

Al was a role model for the 1970s. Honorable and straightforward on the inside and crusty and obnoxious on the outside. We loved him because he was "our's." Much of the African American community loved him because Al didn't care less what your skin color was -- as long as you could play ball.

And anyone who stood up to Bigot Boy Rupp deserves a free sanctification and immediate pass to heaven. Maybe Al can throw him  a cool drink from up where he is down to where Bigot Boy is. I suppose Bigot Boy needs it worse than Al does.

There is so much evidence of Al's compassion and humanity. When Chones was offered millions by the ABA Al went to his apartment late that night. He looked in Chones' fridge and saw that it was effectively empty. He then asked Chones if his widowed mother was still a minimum wage salad maker. When Chones nodded Al told him he had no choice but to take the money. Even though it destroyed Marquette's season and a huge shot at a national championship Al knew it was the right decision for a poor family. I am attaching a link on Chones that you must read but here are some nuggets:

Al McGuire, knowing full well the decision might cost him a championship season, insisted Jim Chones take a somewhat cruel mid-season offer from the Nets which disqualified Jim from finishing the season with the Warriors.

Sports Illustrated reported: 6′11″ Jim Chones . . . agreed to take $1.5 million in cash Thursday night from the ABA's New York Nets. Chones . . . unquestionably needs the money, since his father died two years ago and his mother has been supporting her five other children on a $1.85-per-hour job as a salad lady.  But even in these turbulent days it is surprising for a college player to quit an undefeated team. . .

According to the Boston Globe, Al had no patience for people second guessing his player's lives and motives, whether it be the NBA or the NCAA:

. . . the NCAA committees [are] a waste of time . . . If they held the meetings in a tenement building in Brooklyn, I guarantee they would come up with solutions. (Source: The Boston Globe, March 26, 2000)

Telling Jim it would be no different than if he was injured, and telling the press that he looked into his own refrigerator and then Jim's and realized there was no decision to make, Al McGuire never once professed regret.

After playing ball for St Catherine's high school in Racine, Wisconsin, under John McGuire, the man credited with creating St. Cat's basketball powerhouse (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Wisconsin, June 12, 2001), Jim headed for Marquette and the experience of his life, playing for a McGuire called Al. Jim, who lost his McGuires in the same sad year, held both in high esteem:

"He [John] was as great as any coach I had. It was funny that he and Al McGuire were both named McGuire, because they were the best coaches I ever had. I'll bet I had 20 to 25 coaches, and they got the most out of me. (John) was even-tempered, never swore . . .There was nothing fancy about him, but he played to win. He was a great strategist."

Coming from Chones, that was high praise. . . Among Chones' coaches were Lou Carnesecca, a former coaching legend at St. John's University, and Larry Brown, Bill Fitch and Gene Shue, all three of whom rank among the NBA's 10 winningest coaches. (Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Wisconsin, June 12, 2001)

Reflecting on Al's influence, Jim mused, "He was an example for my life."

Chones once said he had met only two color-blind people in his life: Dean Smith and Al McGuire.
And though Al's speech often teetered on the politically incorrect, there was no mistaking his pure intentions:

"We don't run a plantation here. I want and expect my players to get degrees, even if it takes more than four years."

http://www.apbr.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1501

Al did have one condition, though, for giving his blessing to Chones' leaving for the ABA: he made Chones promise him and his mother that he would get his degree. Chones did fulfill that promise. If memory serves I believe he was graduated in the same year as one of his daughters.  

Bobby Knight once reflected on the difference between Al and Rupp that, "Rupp saw a colored person. Al saw a man."
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 02:15:21 AM by keefe »

Death on call

Goose

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2013, 07:34:42 AM »
Al really was color blind and his ability to bring out the best in people was unreal. I love the quote from Knight, especially because of how much Al hated Rupp.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2013, 09:03:00 AM »
Mike Deane must have been one of the All-Time Greats then
Along the same lines, Bobby Knight would say Steve Yoder (UW) is a great coach and just needs a few more years to turn things around. ;)

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2013, 09:13:29 AM »
Al really was color blind and his ability to bring out the best in people was unreal. I love the quote from Knight, especially because of how much Al hated Rupp.

Rupp was the ultimate racist, even making sure Kentucky's first African-American basketball player would be thrown out of school so that he could tell his followers, "See? I was right."

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2013, 02:48:17 PM »
Well, he called a timeout while standing in practically the center court tip-off circle last night.  That would annoy me if it was the coach of another team.  He strays so far from the coach's box so consistently that I wonder how he gets away with it.  I only get to see a few games live a year and it always strikes me how far onto the court he strays.  I've never noticed any other coaches doing that.  

Buzz did that because the refs weren't catching his timeout calls. They didn't leave him much choice in that instance.

Re. Buzz more frequent on-court appearances, what coach doesn't do that? There may be a few coaches that mostly sit in their seats but the vast majority spends quite a bit of time out of the coaches' box.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2013, 02:52:07 PM »
Buzz did that because the refs weren't catching his timeout calls. They didn't leave him much choice in that instance.

Re. Buzz more frequent on-court appearances, what coach doesn't do that? There may be a few coaches that mostly sit in their seats but the vast majority spends quite a bit of time out of the coaches' box.

True, most coaches go out of the box.  Can't say I remember anyone being that far out of the box, though I'm sure it has happened.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2013, 02:55:06 PM »

Yeah, Buzz is hardily the only coach to leave the box area. Since the refs rarely enforce it, the whole coaches' box thing is pretty stupid.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2013, 06:16:04 PM »
Yeah, Buzz is hardily the only coach to leave the box area. Since the refs rarely enforce it, the whole coaches' box thing is pretty stupid.

Well...it's there for a reason

Death on call

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2013, 07:46:40 PM »
Well...it's there for a reason

That may be so, but if there's no penalty for not following the rule, what's the point. Coaches are going to move around, an arbitrary line on the floor isn't going to stop them. Furthermore, a number of these ref crews struggle just to keep up with the game action. The last thing I would want to add is another variable they need to watch, especially one as inconsequential as seeing how far the coach is walking down the sidelines.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2013, 09:02:21 PM »
If he's leaving the box to be noticed as he's calling a time out, where's the harm? 

Assuming he's not called for leaving the box, that is.....
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2013, 11:51:45 PM »
Rupp was the ultimate racist, even making sure Kentucky's first African-American basketball player would be thrown out of school so that he could tell his followers, "See? I was right."

I had never heard that. Wow. That is just beyond cruel. What sort of twisted mind dreams up such an awful plot? Why mess with a young man in that way. I would love to hear the details of that story.

Death on call

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2013, 08:12:52 AM »
Buzz is certainly no Al.  I don't understand his stupid and often negative quotes about his players.  A coach should coach and not tell your players that they are bad.  What's the point?  Apparently one of Buzz's flaws is his immaturity and stupidity.