[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by brewcity77
[May 03, 2024, 08:27:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz's "Antics"  (Read 18956 times)

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
Buzz's "Antics"
« on: February 12, 2013, 08:33:23 AM »
http://hoyatalk2.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=26638

Was reading the Hoya's message board and ran across this guy complaining about Buzz's demeanor. I'm a homer, so I'm not going to notice it, but it struck me that this guy seems to hate Buzz as much as I hate Boheim's whiny face :)

To the folks that spend more time on other sites, is this a consensus? Do we care?
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

tower912

• All American
Re: Buzz's "Antics"
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 08:37:10 AM »
WVU had  slight dislike for him.   Wiscy dislikes him less than they disliked Crean.   L-ville respects him.    If I was a fan of another team, I would probably dislike him.   Heck, I will probably point out his flaws when he leaves to coach somewhere else.    And then get criticized for it. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 08:38:10 AM »
WVU had  slight dislike for him.   Wiscy dislikes him less than they disliked Crean.   L-ville respects him.    If I was a fan of another team, I would probably dislike him.   Heck, I will probably point out his flaws when he leaves to coach somewhere else.    And then get criticized for it. 

Wait ... Buzz has flaws?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 08:42:19 AM »
He's an opposing coach. They're not supposed to like him.

How many opposing coaches do you really like?

Of teams we face regularly, I can pretty much say Jay Wright is really the only one I like. And even he bugs me sometimes.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 09:44:40 AM »

Funny how flaws can only be talked about when they leave.   :-\   But you are right, if  you point them out now, you certainly will get criticized so best to wait when he leaves.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 09:55:47 AM »
Funny how flaws can only be talked about when they leave.   :-\   But you are right, if  you point them out now, you certainly will get criticized so best to wait when he leaves.

You're the new standard bearer of objectivity here, nice to see. I certainly don't remember that attitude from you during TC's final years at MU, but I guess people change.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 09:57:47 AM »
Well, he called a timeout while standing in practically the center court tip-off circle last night.  That would annoy me if it was the coach of another team.  He strays so far from the coach's box so consistently that I wonder how he gets away with it.  I only get to see a few games live a year and it always strikes me how far onto the court he strays.  I've never noticed any other coaches doing that.  
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 10:03:37 AM »
I would hate Buzz if I were opposing fan and that is part of his appeal. The guy is off his rocker, always on the court, flashy dresser and intense. IMO all things I hate about an opposing coach. This fan hopes every non MU fan gets pissed at him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 10:19:50 AM »
Chicos, I have pulled up threads from as far back as 2006 where I criticized Crean's in game work.    If jsonline still had their old bulletin boards, I could go back further.  I liked Crean.   I thought he was a decent overall coach but that he had flaws.   Recruiting bigs and in-game adjustments were two while he was at MU.   I have been consistent since he left that I thought he would be able to do better in recruiting at IU than he did at MU.   And I have been consistent wondering if he was going to be able to coach them up. 
  And you have consistently defended him to the hilt, which is your right. 

I think I am going to use the ignore button as my lenten resolution. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 10:29:21 AM »
I would hate Buzz if I were opposing fan and that is part of his appeal. The guy is off his rocker, always on the court, flashy dresser and intense. IMO all things I hate about an opposing coach. This fan hopes every non MU fan gets pissed at him.

Correct.
If Buzz coached Louisville we'd all loathe him.
If Pitino coached Marquette, we'd love him. And Karen Cypher would be an evil succubus.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 10:37:32 AM »
Marquette AND Celtic fans wouldn't love him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 10:39:30 AM »
Kentucky fans would continue to loathe him even more and dissect his every move. 

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 12:03:29 PM »
I hate every other coach from any team that beats us, I'm cool with the ones that suck  ;)

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 12:15:22 PM »
They hated Al too.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 12:26:08 PM »
Some teams get fired up by coaching technicals. Players feel he is fighting for them. This is NOT one of those teams. Buzz should know that about HIS team and watch his emotions.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 12:59:19 PM »
They hated Al too.

Everyone hated Al!

Except, of course, Marquette fans.

As Al himself once said, "Teams reflect their coach. Mine are arrogant and obnoxious!"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 01:00:13 PM »
In most cases they only hate you if you are great. Hope Buzz gets there!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 12:32:28 AM »
In most cases they only hate you if you are great. Hope Buzz gets there!

Mike Deane must have been one of the All-Time Greats then

Death on call

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 10:09:37 AM »
Everyone hated Al!

Except, of course, Marquette fans.

As Al himself once said, "Teams reflect their coach. Mine are arrogant and obnoxious!"

When you consistently beat people it engenders anger and envy. If you're funnier, smarter and all around cooler than the other guy while doing it you get more of the same. So naturally opponent's fan bases didn't much like Al when he was coaching. Once he stopped, the world discovered what MU fans already knew and he became beloved by nearly all who love college basketball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 05:47:08 PM »
When you consistently beat people it engenders anger and envy. If you're funnier, smarter and all around cooler than the other guy while doing it you get more of the same. So naturally opponent's fan bases didn't much like Al when he was coaching. Once he stopped, the world discovered what MU fans already knew and he became beloved by nearly all who love college basketball.

I'm not convinced Al was actually "hated." Among his peers he was very much respected. Dean Smith called Al about Boylan. Wooden backed off Alfred Lee when he was told Al really wanted him. And when Al stashed players at JC's everyone knew the score.

Al was universally (outside the South) admired for standing up to Rupp for being the racist bastard that he was. Arthur Schlesinger wrote in his Bobby Kennedy bio that in 1968 the only two white men who could walk the streets of Harlem safely were Bobby and Al. High praise.

Death on call

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 07:07:22 PM »
I would hate Buzz Al if I were opposing fan and that is part of his appeal. The guy is off his rocker, always on the court, flashy dresser and intense. IMO all things I hate about an opposing coach. This fan hopes every non MU fan gets pissed at him.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 07:51:40 PM »
I'm not convinced Al was actually "hated." Among his peers he was very much respected. Dean Smith called Al about Boylan. Wooden backed off Alfred Lee when he was told Al really wanted him. And when Al stashed players at JC's everyone knew the score.

Al was universally (outside the South) admired for standing up to Rupp for being the racist bastard that he was. Arthur Schlesinger wrote in his Bobby Kennedy bio that in 1968 the only two white men who could walk the streets of Harlem safely were Bobby and Al. High praise.

You're absolutely right about his peers. Ray Meyer loved Al in spite of losing 21 straight to him and Bobby Knight looked up to him, and Tark, too. Everybody but the Baron of Bigotry, and that because Al called him out on it.

When I spoke of people hating Al I meant other fan bases, not coaches.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 07:55:53 PM »
Cue the picture of him getting flipped off by the Wisconsin fans while standing on the scorers table.   Does that one ever get old?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 08:01:38 PM »
Cue the picture of him getting flipped off by the Wisconsin fans while standing on the scorers table.   Does that one ever get old?

That was Kerry and Kim Hughes' old man flip pin' Al off. One of my favorite pictures of all time.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 08:14:44 PM »
That was Kerry and Kim Hughes' old man flip pin' Al off. One of my favorite pictures of all time.

A classic that will never grow old

Death on call