collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 209805 times)

MU1in77

• Walk-On
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #2125 on: December 07, 2023, 08:54:10 PM »
Pine Club
My bride is from Dayton and I’ve been going there for the last 45 years.  Big fan of the Pine Club (and Oakwood Club) no so much Skyline Chili.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #2126 on: December 24, 2023, 10:48:01 PM »
I’ll be doing a lot of additional reading, but has anyone been to Colombia?

Going to Peru (Lima, Cusco) in April. Decided to tack on two cities in Colombia. Deciding between Bogota, Cartagena and  Medellin. This will be my first trip to South America. Any tips or recommendations?

The friend I’m traveling with is down for whatever, but isn’t much help when it comes to planning and I’m a bit overwhelmed while planning as I don’t know anyone who has been to Colombia.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2127 on: January 13, 2024, 01:51:37 PM »
Interesting 2023 rain stat:

Fort Lauderdale had its wettest year on record.

Naples had its driest year on record.

100 miles apart.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2128 on: January 14, 2024, 03:25:06 PM »
Heading to Barcelona in a week. Any recommendations for food or drink?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2129 on: January 14, 2024, 03:52:40 PM »
Heading to Barcelona in a week. Any recommendations for food or drink?

We were huge fans of Vivanda & Dos Pebrots.
Maigh Eo for Sam

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2130 on: January 14, 2024, 07:17:10 PM »
We were huge fans of Vivanda & Dos Pebrots.
First, kudos to you for going far afield for Vivanda. Both places look great. The meat at Dos Pebrots looks really tasty. It will depend on if it is just me or a co worker joining.
Thanks!

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #2131 on: January 16, 2024, 11:06:28 AM »

Going to Peru (Lima, Cusco) in April. Decided to tack on two cities in Colombia. Deciding between Bogota, Cartagena and  Medellin. This will be my first trip to South America. Any tips or recommendations?

The friend I’m traveling with is down for whatever, but isn’t much help when it comes to planning and I’m a bit overwhelmed while planning as I don’t know anyone who has been to Colombia.

Peru - eat everything. Such an incredible variety of foods from the coast to the mountains.
Central in Lima is considered one of the best restaurants in the world. I didn’t have a chance to go, but look into it. They’re featured in an episode of Chef’s Table on Netflix if you want a preview.

I recommend strolling around the Barranco neighborhood. Interesting shops, plazas, art.

TimboSlice

• Walk-On
« Reply #2132 on: January 16, 2024, 06:29:23 PM »
Quote from: BM1090 on December 24, 2023, 10:48:01 PM

My oldest son lived in Cartagena for 6 months on a work rotational program. We visited for 10 days. I highly recommend it. Great choices for food, drinks. Good bar scene, generally very safe. Had very good Mediterranean food, good Italian, excellent seafood and great ceviche. 
He lived in Bocagrande, beach area with Western hotels, expats typically live there.
I would stay in the Walled City or Getsemani. Both have very nice for restaurants, bars, historical sites. Great city for history.
We did the typical touristy things but also off the beaten path a bit. I also have a google doc of activities my daughter in law put together for our group. Wide range of ages on our trip- (60s to early 20's)
Trip advisor pretty solid on Cartagena, but a little heavy on islands, tours. We went to the islands, and they are islands that is true, typical Caribbean islands with a nice Latin vibe, but I preferred sticking to the city.
Great coffee bars, we found a cigar/ coffee bar that had the best of both coffee and cigars, Cubans available if you are into them.
My wife , sister-in-law and daughter spent entire days shopping, the boys bar hopped and wandered around to historical sites in the Walled City (Museum of Inquisition was my favorite- unique for sure). Also the Naval museum was surprisingly good, I did not know Colombia had such a proud naval tradition. There is a lot about the repeated battles, for Cartagena bewteen the English and Spanish,
We did a harbor cruise, sunset and unlimited drinks. Touristy but it was a big hit. There is also a famous bar for sunset, we went one night (Cafe del Mar) it was nice. 
My son went to both Bogota and Medellin, really enjoyed them both. He said the food was incredible, more of an urban feel to both Bogota and Medellin compared to Cartagena.
Another consideration is the time of year. Cartagena can be brutally hot and humid in the summer. Bogota and Medellin would be cooler. In April I would do either Bogota or Medellin in addition to Cartagena if you are going to two (of the 3 I think Cartagena would be most unique), I will talk to my son if you want further info, but he is on a business trip to Cartagena this week, so can definitely speak to him further when he gets back if you would like more info.
Long winded but I would highly recommend.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 06:38:21 PM by TimboSlice »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2133 on: January 16, 2024, 08:58:12 PM »
TSA at MSP is lousy.

Mens rooms are good though.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2134 on: January 17, 2024, 01:16:55 AM »
TSA at MSP is lousy.

Uhhhhh

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2135 on: January 17, 2024, 05:47:28 PM »

Uhhhhh

Some folks need to be the center of attention.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2136 on: January 18, 2024, 08:52:17 AM »
I fly to Orange County (Irvine) for work every few months. I usually just stay around the hotel and office but might explore a little this time. Anyone have any recommendations?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2137 on: January 18, 2024, 09:16:08 AM »
I fly to Orange County (Irvine) for work every few months. I usually just stay around the hotel and office but might explore a little this time. Anyone have any recommendations?

During the Great Recession, I got back to work in Connecticut by taking a 6-month contract engineering job where I had to restart an assembly line in Brea, CA.  I had to go for 1 or 2 weeks a month for 4 months of that span.  I stayed in the Anaheim triangle and had an easy 15-20 minute commute to Brea.  I was told if I stayed a little farther south the commute would triple.  I was looking forward to attending an Angels game, but the last time I had to go was in March.  I planned to attend a Ducks game and the night I picked was one of only two times I ever got food sickness while business traveling.  Ironically, the source was an ESPN Zone restaurant at Disneyland, where I went to watch a Marquette game the night before. 
When I was there for 2 weeks I would do touristy stuff over the weekend like visit the Observatory, and visit Hollywood & Beverly Hills & Santa Monica pier.  I visited the La Brea tar pits and LA Museum of Art.
I was told to go to one of the Orange County beaches where they had restaurants and stores overlooking the water.  I never made it.  I can't remember which one.  I didn't really have time after working to go anywhere especially in SoCal traffic.

I'm sure others travel there more frequently and can offer something more specific.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2138 on: January 18, 2024, 09:23:46 AM »
Margaritas at Las Brisas in Laguna Beach.  Drive down PCH to get there.
For a great dive bar (though I have not been since Covid) The Goat Hill - https://www.goathilltavern.com/ It was craft beer before craft beer was a thing.

Cruise down to the Balboa peninsula. Mutt Lynch is a good dive bar. Woody's Wharf for waterside dining, drinking and where Dennis Rodman was arrested.

PCH north to Huntington Beach - Walk the pier, eat a burrito at Wahoo's fish tacos, get sex wax at Jack's.  (waterside dining at Duke's, but I prefer the original in Waikiki)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 09:26:36 AM by pbiflyer »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2139 on: January 18, 2024, 09:42:08 AM »

Some if the nearby beach towns are Huntington (they have a dog beach), Laguna (very artsy town, a fouple of big Summer arts festivals there, Pagaent of the Masters and Sawdust. Take the 133 or SR-1) Newport (Whale watching, The Harbor). You can also explore Dana Point, San Clemente, etc closer to Irvine take in an Anteaters baseball game this Spring.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #2140 on: January 18, 2024, 04:05:34 PM »
TSA at MSP is lousy.

FIFY
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2141 on: January 26, 2024, 10:28:49 AM »
We don’t talk enough about how incredibly awful MCO is as an airport.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2142 on: January 26, 2024, 10:33:51 AM »

To be fair, it's barely an airport.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2143 on: January 26, 2024, 12:40:51 PM »

You're disrespecting the stairway to heaven Applebees?

But it does stink.  The only thing I actually like about it is that the pre-check lines are always a ghost town cause 90% of the people traveling fly like twice a year.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2144 on: January 26, 2024, 12:55:57 PM »
What booking service do you guys use for hotels/motels?

I use Expedia. Are there certain ones that you guys prefer?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2145 on: January 26, 2024, 01:10:05 PM »
What booking service do you guys use for hotels/motels?

I use Expedia. Are there certain ones that you guys prefer?

Hotels.com used to be the gold standard.  In terms of quality, pricing, etc...  But then Expedia bought them and gutted their rewards and made it a lot less attractive.

But Expedia, Booking.com, Kayak are all pretty interchangeable at this point, IMO.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2146 on: January 26, 2024, 01:13:39 PM »
Hotels.com used to be the gold standard.  In terms of quality, pricing, etc...  But then Expedia bought them and gutted their rewards and made it a lot less attractive.

But Expedia, Booking.com, Kayak are all pretty interchangeable at this point, IMO.

I thought they had all basically consolidated.

Frequently, I'll search on any of those websites and then just book directly through the hotel if the price is the same (it usually is).

But I have also used Hotel Tonight on my phone plenty of times and found great last minute rates.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2147 on: January 26, 2024, 01:24:13 PM »
I thought they had all basically consolidated.

Frequently, I'll search on any of those websites and then just book directly through the hotel if the price is the same (it usually is).

But I have also used Hotel Tonight on my phone plenty of times and found great last minute rates.

I always check the hotel’s site to see if I can get it cheaper than Expedia.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2148 on: January 26, 2024, 02:33:40 PM »

Depends we're I'm traveling.  I usually check Hilton & Marriott sites first, my preferred for points, for USA and Asia travel.  I stay away from them for Europe travel to because these brands are usually not in the neighborhood where I want to stay. 
I noticed Hotels com offerings are way fewer than before and I frequently use Booking.com.  Will check these for Asia travel and USA travel if no Hilton's or Marriotts nearby.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2149 on: January 26, 2024, 04:13:03 PM »
You're disrespecting the stairway to heaven Applebees?

But it does stink.  The only thing I actually like about it is that the pre-check lines are always a ghost town cause 90% of the people traveling fly like twice a year.

I’ve flown in and out of MCO a couple of times in the last few months. I think you’re underestimating the business convention crowds. Longest pre-check and Clear lines I’ve seen recently have been at MCO.