collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 209635 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #2100 on: November 15, 2023, 09:21:18 AM »
When does the article come out on you guys living aboard cruise ships permanently?  ;D Which budget airline are you using to get to Asia? The trans pac cruise sounds amazing.

I assume they found a reasonable priced ticket to Sydney out of LAX/SFO on one of the US carriers.  Cause I'm sure our resident LUV loyalists will be flying that from HNL back to LAS.  Probably flying Jetstar or QantasLink within Oz (which is EasyJet cheap) and then if I had to guess...Scoot (Singapore Airlines' low cost carrier subsidiary) to Singapore, both probably under $100 each).

That actually sounds like an awesome itinerary TBH.  People have an understandably iffy view of cruises cause they just think of budget Carnival excursions through the Caribbean.  But anyone I know who has went on cruises in the Pacific, to Hawaii/Alaska/Pac Islands/etc..., has raved.  I don't know anyone who has done a TransPac cruise though, look forward to hearing about it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2101 on: November 15, 2023, 11:24:05 AM »
When does the article come out on you guys living aboard cruise ships permanently?  ;D Which budget airline are you using to get to Asia? The trans pac cruise sounds amazing.

Fiji airlines to Sydney, JetStar to Melbourne, Scoot to Singapore, Southwest to Las Vegas.   ;D

Fiji isn't necessarily a budget airline but we did get an incredible airfare.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 11:26:50 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2102 on: November 15, 2023, 12:56:52 PM »
Fiji airlines to Sydney, JetStar to Melbourne, Scoot to Singapore, Southwest to Las Vegas.   ;D

I just flew Air Asia to/from Singapore on my recent trip which is a similar airline type to Scoot.  I had to change my return flight time, but was not allowed to because it was less than 48 hours before the flight.  Instead I had to buy a new ticket.  It cost $27.  It would have been $19, but I decided to pick a seat.  I found it weird that the front of the airplane was largely empty because most people didn't wan to pony up $8 for seat assignment.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2103 on: November 15, 2023, 01:35:09 PM »
Digital Nomads?

Pretty sure posting on scoop while on a cruise does not count as being a digital nomad. Right chick?  ;D

BTW, for anyone interested in digital nomading, this is a good blog - https://readyjetroam.com/category/digital-nomad/

Cheap airfare is always good!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2104 on: November 15, 2023, 01:47:34 PM »
Pretty sure posting on scoop while on a cruise does not count as being a digital nomad. Right chick?  ;D

BTW, for anyone interested in digital nomading, this is a good blog - https://readyjetroam.com/category/digital-nomad/

Cheap airfare is always good!

No need to be a "digital nomad" if you aren't really working anymore.

Max out those 401(k)s, boys!
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2105 on: November 15, 2023, 02:33:44 PM »
No need to be a "digital nomad" if you aren't really working anymore.

Max out those 401(k)s, boys!

Hmmm.  Not writing those travel expenses and gambling losses off in a shell S Corp?  I thought Glow's YouTube channel was a money earner?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2106 on: November 15, 2023, 02:39:44 PM »
I just flew Air Asia to/from Singapore on my recent trip which is a similar airline type to Scoot.  I had to change my return flight time, but was not allowed to because it was less than 48 hours before the flight.  Instead I had to buy a new ticket.  It cost $27.  It would have been $19, but I decided to pick a seat.  I found it weird that the front of the airplane was largely empty because most people didn't wan to pony up $8 for seat assignment.

Flew a bunch of Air Asia around Malaysia/Indonesia/Singapore a few years ago.  Crazy cheap fares!  Like Langkawi to Singapore - two people for $15.50 after adding a bag to the fare.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #2107 on: November 15, 2023, 02:56:01 PM »
Checking in many years ago on a Spicejet flight out of Chennai, my (very large) colleague asked, "just by chance, do you have any extra space seats"???  The check in girl says yes, of course we do, but nobody ever buys them because they are very expensive.  So we asked how much... she says "too much"... we went back and forth for 5 minutes and obviously she thought it was so expensive it would be embarrassing for us if we asked and then couldn't pay, so she was just refusing to tell us.  Finally after much back and forth and a bit of persuasion from an Indian colleague, she says 500.  We were like, $500 bucks, that is a lot.  Indian colleague chimes in - Rupees, right?  Yes, it was 500 Rupees.  For the 2 of us.  $4 each. 

Needless to say, we did it!  we each had a row to ourselves in the front of the plane!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2108 on: November 30, 2023, 04:12:33 AM »
Getting ready to leave Sydney in a few hours, had been to Australia a couple of times before this, but (surprisingly) never to Sydney.

Might have become my favorite city in the world, a fantastic, beautiful city. A little Hong Kong, a lot of London influence (my two other favorite cities in the world). Incredibly easy to navigate, people nice as can be. Only complaint is the food is pretty bland, but definitely restaurants/cuisines from all over.

If you’ve been on the fence about going, I really can’t recommend it enough.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2109 on: November 30, 2023, 07:36:47 AM »
Getting ready to leave Sydney in a few hours, had been to Australia a couple of times before this, but (surprisingly) never to Sydney.

Might have become my favorite city in the world, a fantastic, beautiful city. A little Hong Kong, a lot of London influence (my two other favorite cities in the world). Incredibly easy to navigate, people nice as can be. Only complaint is the food is pretty bland, but definitely restaurants/cuisines from all over.

Thanks Dish. We haven't been, but it's high on our list. Hopefully get there in 2025 or 2026.

Safe travels.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2110 on: November 30, 2023, 08:17:26 AM »
Anyone been to the area around Barcelona?

I will be in Madrid Spain on company dime in January, but beforehand, I think I am likely going to revisit Barcelona. I visited for a very short 48 hours previously. So, this time I will explore a bit more of Barcelona, but will likely have time for a day trip.

Background: I have already visited a ton of places in Spain, but none around Barcelona. Spend time in Andalusia, Costa del Sol, and around Madrid. I do like seeing historical sites, especially really old stuff, but mostly enjoy embracing the culture. Would rather sit in a outdoor cafe watching the world go by than a museum. Ideal day would be walking through Roman ruins to a park where I can grab a drink and listen to music. Less touristy is ideal too.
Since it is January, I am guessing most of the beach towns like Stiges and Calella de Palafrugell are out, but I could be wrong.

On the radar:
Montserrat. Cog train and mountains are appealing,
Tarragona: Roman ruins, nice views.
Girona: Medieval town, old sites, good food.

A couple of constraints.
Public transportation. So many of the smaller medieval towns are out. I prefer train, but will do bus. I could also be persuaded to do a tour, but am more of an on your own person so I can do mostly my own timeline.
True day trip. I don't want to do an overnight trip where I have to schlep luggage. Less travel time, the better, but willing to make it a long day.

Any suggestions? A preference on the ones mentioned? One I missed? And I already checked. Markus' team is not playing anywhere I can go watch during the timeframe.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2111 on: December 05, 2023, 02:59:23 PM »
Anyone been to the area around Barcelona?

I will be in Madrid Spain on company dime in January, but beforehand, I think I am likely going to revisit Barcelona. I visited for a very short 48 hours previously. So, this time I will explore a bit more of Barcelona, but will likely have time for a day trip.

Background: I have already visited a ton of places in Spain, but none around Barcelona. Spend time in Andalusia, Costa del Sol, and around Madrid. I do like seeing historical sites, especially really old stuff, but mostly enjoy embracing the culture. Would rather sit in a outdoor cafe watching the world go by than a museum. Ideal day would be walking through Roman ruins to a park where I can grab a drink and listen to music. Less touristy is ideal too.
Since it is January, I am guessing most of the beach towns like Stiges and Calella de Palafrugell are out, but I could be wrong.

On the radar:
Montserrat. Cog train and mountains are appealing,
Tarragona: Roman ruins, nice views.
Girona: Medieval town, old sites, good food.

A couple of constraints.
Public transportation. So many of the smaller medieval towns are out. I prefer train, but will do bus. I could also be persuaded to do a tour, but am more of an on your own person so I can do mostly my own timeline.
True day trip. I don't want to do an overnight trip where I have to schlep luggage. Less travel time, the better, but willing to make it a long day.

Any suggestions? A preference on the ones mentioned? One I missed? And I already checked. Markus' team is not playing anywhere I can go watch during the timeframe.

I was just in Spain for the last two weeks.  If you want to do a day trip, consider doing a tour to Montserrat as well as a Cava tasting at a local winery.  We enjoyed it, despite having poor weather.  Also, we are very 'do it yourself' type of people, but the drive up the mountain would have been very difficult, so we went with a guide.

Our guide suggested Tarragona, but we didn't plan for it, and we didn't have time. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2112 on: December 05, 2023, 03:32:09 PM »

We'll be there in September for several days.  Then on to Melbourne for several more.  Really looking forward to it!
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2113 on: December 05, 2023, 04:10:37 PM »
Just did Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Ho Chi Minh and Tokyo.

Hi Chi Minh was my favorite wife's favorite was Tokyo. Loved each one. If you're ever in Singapore would 100% recommend the bar Native (we only did the bar not food) some of the most unique and creative cocktails I've ever had.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2114 on: December 05, 2023, 11:56:44 PM »
Just did Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Ho Chi Minh and Tokyo.

Hi Chi Minh was my favorite wife's favorite was Tokyo. Loved each one. If you're ever in Singapore would 100% recommend the bar Native (we only did the bar not food) some of the most unique and creative cocktails I've ever had.

Actually heading to Singapore in a week.  Will definitely swing by.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2115 on: December 06, 2023, 12:50:22 PM »
I was just in Spain for the last two weeks.  If you want to do a day trip, consider doing a tour to Montserrat as well as a Cava tasting at a local winery.  We enjoyed it, despite having poor weather.  Also, we are very 'do it yourself' type of people, but the drive up the mountain would have been very difficult, so we went with a guide.

Our guide suggested Tarragona, but we didn't plan for it, and we didn't have time.

Thanks, Montserrat is on my radar as well. Forgot to mention that. Is the wine tasting there or nearby as well? I saw they have a cog train to Montserrat.
If I train back to Madrid and depending on timing, it stops at Tarragona. Maybe I can hop off for a couple of hours if there is a left luggage locker at the train station. Will check into that.

Where were you in Spain? Any Barcelona suggestions for food and drink?

MU1in77

• Walk-On
« Reply #2116 on: December 06, 2023, 01:02:36 PM »
Sydney, Singapore, Barcelona? I’m heading to Dayton in a few weeks so everyone can stick it!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2117 on: December 06, 2023, 01:25:24 PM »
Thanks, Montserrat is on my radar as well. Forgot to mention that. Is the wine tasting there or nearby as well? I saw they have a cog train to Montserrat.
If I train back to Madrid and depending on timing, it stops at Tarragona. Maybe I can hop off for a couple of hours if there is a left luggage locker at the train station. Will check into that.

The wine tasting was in the valley that does the majority of cava wine (think Champage) production.  It was a drive from the Montserrat tour, but included in the tour. 

We went all over.  Madrid, Cordoba, Seville, Granada, Malaga, Ronda, Mihas, and Barcelona.  Food stops in Barcelona... hmmm actually had my worst meal in Barcelona so I won't recommend that place.  And the other place doesn't really come to mind so it was fairly forgettable as well.

I probably had about 300 padron peppers on this trip though... wish I could get them at home!

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2118 on: December 06, 2023, 01:57:53 PM »
The wine tasting was in the valley that does the majority of cava wine (think Champage) production.  It was a drive from the Montserrat tour, but included in the tour. 

We went all over.  Madrid, Cordoba, Seville, Granada, Malaga, Ronda, Mihas, and Barcelona.  Food stops in Barcelona... hmmm actually had my worst meal in Barcelona so I won't recommend that place.  And the other place doesn't really come to mind so it was fairly forgettable as well.

I probably had about 300 padron peppers on this trip though... wish I could get them at home!
Thanks. Yeah, those peppers are awesome. The Mushroom Bar in Madrid, though named for mushrooms, has the best in padron peppers in Madrid.
If you haven't already, check out the Jose Andres specials on Spain on CNN. Many of the places you hit.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2119 on: December 06, 2023, 02:04:01 PM »

Wife and I loved Vivanda and Dos Pebrots in Barcelona.
Maigh Eo for Sam

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2120 on: December 06, 2023, 03:24:11 PM »
Wife and I loved Vivanda and Dos Pebrots in Barcelona.

Thanks! Both look awesome.

BTW, the middle schooler in me, I will be trying out this place in Barcelona, just for the name.

Oops I conflated Tarragona and Zaragoza. Yes, I think if I do not do Montserrat, Tarragona is plan A right now. Roman ruins, sunny, and good food.
Zaragoza is the city I was considering stopping at between Barcelona and Madrid.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 03:49:19 PM by pbiflyer »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #2121 on: December 06, 2023, 10:07:20 PM »
Sydney, Singapore, Barcelona? I’m heading to Dayton in a few weeks so everyone can stick it!

Hey, I think they have Skyline Chili there! Tastes great, certainly better than that grease bath stuff on Wells Street!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2122 on: December 06, 2023, 10:55:53 PM »
Pine Club

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2123 on: December 06, 2023, 11:01:35 PM »
Hey, I think they have Skyline Chili there! Tastes great, certainly better than that grease bath stuff on Wells Street!

Ban dis guy^^^

Two bags of Kraft Shredded Processed Cheese is not chili.  🤮

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2124 on: December 07, 2023, 03:56:20 PM »
Enjoying Business Meeting in Deer Valley Utah. Spent some time in Park City but did not see any sign of Wojo
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire