[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 209437 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #2050 on: November 10, 2023, 05:12:19 PM »
Wags

Truthfully, India was far better than I expected. I prefer the flight to China, but not a major difference. While I am very excited about a new chapter in my career, wouldn’t mind being a decade or so younger.

I was somewhat concerned if I still competitive chops going into the trip and that concern went away quickly.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #2051 on: November 12, 2023, 10:28:53 AM »
MU Fan in CT

I had 12 days in India, and it went better than I expected. I stayed at all Marriott properties, with exception in Bangalore, and had no health/food issues. Ate every meal at the hotel, with exception of Hard Rock for lunch on the last day. The dogs and monkey's made walking around difficult and we used a driver to go everywhere. We had four nights at hotel that lost their liquor license but used hotel car to take us to another hotel for cocktails.

That is the good news, the bad news it looks like India will be regular stop for me in 2024. I appreciated Wags and others mentioning not to let my guard down on food and water.
Don't be afraid to try the Oberoi and Taj hotels in India.  They are far better than the ITC/Marriott/Hyatt.   I had 5 years of my life with 100+ days in India and have been to the back of beyond as well as to all the major cities.  It is one of my favorite places to travel.  Let me know if you need any specifics.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2052 on: November 12, 2023, 10:39:14 AM »
Wags

Truthfully, India was far better than I expected. I prefer the flight to China, but not a major difference. While I am very excited about a new chapter in my career, wouldn’t mind being a decade or so younger.

I was somewhat concerned if I still competitive chops going into the trip and that concern went away quickly.

What about the flight to China do you prefer?  They are more or less the same distance wise.  I guess it depends on your route to India these days.  Direct to India was much easier/nicer before the Ukraine conflict changed the routes.

Don't be afraid to try the Oberoi and Taj hotels in India.  They are far better than the ITC/Marriott/Hyatt.   I had 5 years of my life with 100+ days in India and have been to the back of beyond as well as to all the major cities.  It is one of my favorite places to travel.  Let me know if you need any specifics.

Yea those are right on par with any Western hotel, but depending on where, you'll pay.  I stayed at a Taj for a wedding on a trip a few years ago and it was double my normal Sofitel/Marriott rates.

A third of the year in India?  WOW.  I bow to your expertise in comparison  8-)  Where were you based at the time?  I'd imagine you have a stomach of steel.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2053 on: November 12, 2023, 12:02:58 PM »
WarriorFan

Thanks for the insight. I definitely will reach out with questions before I head back in January. Much of time will be in more out of the way places rather than big cities.

Wags

Direct flights are hard to come by these days. The flight back from Delhi to Newark was 16:40 long. I prefer the tailwinds and nonstop Shanghai or HK to Chicago.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2054 on: November 12, 2023, 12:48:58 PM »
Wags

Direct flights are hard to come by these days. The flight back from Delhi to Newark was 16:40 long. I prefer the tailwinds and nonstop Shanghai or HK to Chicago.

Yea thats a bit of a hike.  My only complaint pre-COVID was that Mumbai was just far enough south that I had to connect from ORD to EWR and then EWR to BOM.  ORD direct to Delhi was always in play but I'd rather fly United to EWR instead of Air India or something from Delhi to BOM.  But the Delhi directs from ORD have vanished recently too.

But the nonstops to HK aren't back either, either from EWR or ORD.  Same with PVG, gotta connect on the West Coast.

I will say, regardless of flight length, I LOVE flying back to the US from India/the ME.  Leave late evening/early morning (1-2AM) and knock out and  land back in the US early morning.  Its the best way to readjust time wise.  I always bounce back quickly coming back from India.  Asia is a bit more of a crap shoot, even with directs.  And now especially more that I'm connecting twice to get back to Florida.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2055 on: November 12, 2023, 12:55:24 PM »
Wags

The late night departure and morning return was nice. Had no jet lag upon return home, even being gone long enough to have been on India time.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #2056 on: November 12, 2023, 01:02:40 PM »
When I was flying there I was based in Singapore or Beijing.  It was always a pleasure on the pointy end of SQ...  Even from Beijing, I'd always fly through SIN.  The flight from India to Singapore, however, usually departing late at night, was "too short" to get a good sleep.  One had to very carefully calculate the amount of whiskey in the glass and the depature timing to get on board conscious but become immediately unconscious once on board. 

Side note:  Did you know that most Indian whiskey (Teachers, for example) is actually rum flavored as whiskey?

Nowadays if traveling there from the US I'd look at Qatar, Emirates, Etihad.  Emirates is the worst of these because they still use the old 2-3-2 biz class out of ORD but they are all better than the US carriers... and Qatar is better BY FAR.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2057 on: November 12, 2023, 03:34:12 PM »
What about the flight to China do you prefer?  They are more or less the same distance wise.  I guess it depends on your route to India these days.  Direct to India was much easier/nicer before the Ukraine conflict changed the routes.

Yea those are right on par with any Western hotel, but depending on where, you'll pay.  I stayed at a Taj for a wedding on a trip a few years ago and it was double my normal Sofitel/Marriott rates.

A third of the year in India?  WOW.  I bow to your expertise in comparison  8-)  Where were you based at the time?  I'd imagine you have a stomach of steel.

It's all about the Skyteam points.
Singapore was my first stop and I flew JFK to Seoul.  13hr layover then 6.5 hr flight to Singapore.  There was an earlier flight to Singapore but it was $4k more.  Thankfully Incheon offers '$3 Transit Tours" that killed most of my wait. I toured a palace in Seoul and hung out in the Insadong neighborhood for an hour. 
Singapore to Bangalore was a 4 1/4 hr flight.  Flew Vistara to Delhi and that was 2.5 hr flight.
KlLM on the way home.  3:20AM flight to Amsterdam than home to JFK.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2058 on: November 12, 2023, 04:03:46 PM »
Just curious, do you guys think biz class or first is worth the money? I work for myself and I struggle to justify the crazy high prices these days. I have flown biz or first a lot of times over the years, but find it too expensive these days.

On a sidebar, my wife travels to Europe very regularly on biz and her company has no problem paying $10k for a ticket. I have always felt publicly traded companies should offer to split savings with their employees to fly economy. My wife would take biz, I would take the money.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2059 on: November 12, 2023, 04:33:42 PM »
Just curious, do you guys think biz class or first is worth the money? I work for myself and I struggle to justify the crazy high prices these days. I have flown biz or first a lot of times over the years, but find it too expensive these days.

On a sidebar, my wife travels to Europe very regularly on biz and her company has no problem paying $10k for a ticket. I have always felt publicly traded companies should offer to split savings with their employees to fly economy. My wife would take biz, I would take the money.

Goose,
For the Asia flights I think Business Class, despite being overpriced, is necessary for sleeping and meal purposes.  Economy Class doesn't flatten enough to really sleep and you get less food.
For Europe, I can fly business class but I don't.  The flights are too short and would be completely unnecessary.  I usually compromise and go Comfort Plus for the priority boarding and extra legroom and drink service and it is only $200-$400 extra per ticket.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2060 on: November 12, 2023, 04:38:39 PM »
MU Fan

Thanks for the feedback. I guess the older I get, the cheaper I get. Always justify it to myself that I prefer to have better hotel, food and a driver. I am big fan of comfort plus and have no problem paying extra for that.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2061 on: November 12, 2023, 10:39:18 PM »

Its truly hard to tell.  I think when you're looking at some of these TransPacific fares that are $10-12K and up for Business, thats pretty steep.  Like you, I'm at a smaller sized company and don't have a 6 figure travel budget for executives.  Fortunately, with 1K on United, Ive gotten pretty good at securing upgrades internationally, so in a good year, I'd say around 80-90% of my flights to Asia or India I get upgraded.  Food is nice but certainly doesn't justify the cost (if you're on a US carrier), but lay flat seats and feeling relaxed and calm on arrival is amazing.

Its pretty amazing what some of the bigger companies expense.  I sat next to a tech executive going to India right before COVID.  He wasn't a C suite big deal, just upper middle management.  He'd been with the company 6-7 years and had been 1K the whole time...and NEVER qualified with the segments, only pure spend.  He said his highest number of segments for work in that time was 16, yet was easily carrying $20K+ in spend every year.  His personal travel he preferred Alaska so he rarely flew United outside of work.  Just wild as I usually scheme to spend $5 more than necessary to qualify each year.

Goose,
For the Asia flights I think Business Class, despite being overpriced, is necessary for sleeping and meal purposes.  Economy Class doesn't flatten enough to really sleep and you get less food.
For Europe, I can fly business class but I don't.  The flights are too short and would be completely unnecessary.  I usually compromise and go Comfort Plus for the priority boarding and extra legroom and drink service and it is only $200-$400 extra per ticket.

Agreed on Europe.  Ive done Business on personal travel to Europe with my wife, but 6 hours is just too short with the longer meal service, so I'd never try to upgrade.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2062 on: November 12, 2023, 11:49:13 PM »
Wags

The tech companies are the big reason on why everything is out of whack price wise on these flights. I read in the WSJ during the pandemic that APPL alone spent $100m on air tickets on United in 2019.

I do not even look at my status anymore on UA. In 2019, I made seven trip to China/Vietnam and I think my total spend was under $13k. I am the the type of passenger they could live without.

I became million miler on UA over a decade ago and that gives minor league status today. Likely will hit 2 million before retirement and that means little today, it is all about the spend and not miles today.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 11:52:47 PM by Goose »

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #2063 on: November 13, 2023, 01:09:15 AM »
I fly only biz for international and first in the US.  I believe it's worth every penny.  I'm loyal to no airline and while I'm in all the frequency programs, their points never sway my decisions.  I buy the cheapest available business class, with a strong preference to minimum connections/ direct flights (for which I will pay a small premium) and connections only at decent airports which basically excludes all US airports.

My new company has a policy to pay for premium economy maximum... so I just negotiated an annual travel allowance and I manage the spend myself.  I might go a bit over their allowance, but I can be sure of my own comfort.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #2064 on: November 13, 2023, 09:17:18 AM »
I don't fly enough for work to get into the tiers you fellas are talking - but just wanted to say I appreciate being a fly on the wall for this convo. Helps contextualize the cost and ROI on upgrades even just for personal travel.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2065 on: November 13, 2023, 10:43:06 AM »
We are friends with a wealthy entrepreneur whose last name most of you would recognize. 

He travels on business as if it is his own money - because it is.  He is extremely generous with his friends and his charitable interests, but otherwise, doesn't spend a lot of money on things he considers frivolous.

Recently, he told us that he was on a plane when the pilot came on over the intercom to congratulate him by name for reaching his 3 millionth mile on their loyalty program.  The flight attendants were looking around for him in first class.  He was back in coach - in a middle seat.
Have some patience, FFS.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2066 on: November 13, 2023, 11:09:08 AM »
chick

That is pretty cool. I am far from a wealthy guy but have over 3 million miles flown in my life. I also can be found in coach, often a middle seat. I always say to myself what I can do for my kids with the extra $4-8k per trip. On my trip to India my client paid my expenses and still flew coach.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2067 on: November 13, 2023, 12:00:22 PM »
chick

That is pretty cool. I am far from a wealthy guy but have over 3 million miles flown in my life. I also can be found in coach, often a middle seat. I always say to myself what I can do for my kids with the extra $4-8k per trip. On my trip to India my client paid my expenses and still flew coach.

If you have flown that many miles, why the hell are you in a middle seat?  You certainly have some level of permanent status on a carrier.  I can understand coach, but there is never an excuse for a middle seat short of buying a flight the day of or switching in an emergency.

I have my own opinions on the truly affluent flying coach on business trips, mostly around their value of their own time and comfort, but I don’t need to insult anyone so I’ll keep it to myself.  Though I will say, if you truly have lots of disposable income that you can splurge and you’re regularly flying long haul in economy, you’re doing yourself a disservice health wise over the long run, IMO

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2068 on: November 13, 2023, 12:24:29 PM »

I have my own opinions on the truly affluent flying coach on business trips, mostly around their value of their own time and comfort, but I don’t need to insult anyone so I’ll keep it to myself.  Though I will say, if you truly have lots of disposable income that you can splurge and you’re regularly flying long haul in economy, you’re doing yourself a disservice health wise over the long run, IMO

I have no problem with it at all.  First Class and Business Class are high-margin products for the airlines, and if that makes the airlines able to turn a profit while keeping my seat in steerage nice and cheap, it's all good.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2069 on: November 13, 2023, 12:25:15 PM »

If you have flown that many miles, why the hell are you in a middle seat?  You certainly have some level of permanent status on a carrier.  I can understand coach, but there is never an excuse for a middle seat short of buying a flight the day of or switching in an emergency.

And you should always pick an aisle seat so you can get up and walk around anytime and as many times as you want.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2070 on: November 13, 2023, 12:52:29 PM »
Wags

1.5 million on UA, with literally one trip since pandemic, over 1 million on Delta with one trip since pandemic and well over 500k spread over Cathay, Japan, American and local China airlines. My status is now middle of the road on UA and Delta and way down the list of priority flier.

For years I was given white glove service by UA and Delta and those days are long gone. Now, to your point on middle seat, the only time I have a middle seat is if I get the right row. 9 out of 10 I take the window seat.

You may be right on general health, and I will likely only take the Comfort Plus on UA moving forward. It really is not much lower than what business class was 30 years ago. As Chick noted, the bloated difference in price is what bothers me. If a $2-3k difference I likely take business, at a crazy premium I am a seller.

I will say, Marriott has been the one company that has taken care of me since the pandemic. They have kept my status every year, even with few nights stay at their properties. Until they piss me off again, they get 100% of my business.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2071 on: November 13, 2023, 01:37:56 PM »
Wags

1.5 million on UA, with literally one trip since pandemic, over 1 million on Delta with one trip since pandemic and well over 500k spread over Cathay, Japan, American and local China airlines. My status is now middle of the road on UA and Delta and way down the list of priority flier.

For years I was given white glove service by UA and Delta and those days are long gone. Now, to your point on middle seat, the only time I have a middle seat is if I get the right row. 9 out of 10 I take the window seat.

You may be right on general health, and I will likely only take the Comfort Plus on UA moving forward. It really is not much lower than what business class was 30 years ago. As Chick noted, the bloated difference in price is what bothers me. If a $2-3k difference I likely take business, at a crazy premium I am a seller.

I will say, Marriott has been the one company that has taken care of me since the pandemic. They have kept my status every year, even with few nights stay at their properties. Until they piss me off again, they get 100% of my business.

That’s fair.  You said “often in middle” which is what made me confused.  10% if the time isn’t so often.  1.5MM is lifetime gold, which gets you all the international star alliance perks and definitely isn’t stuffing you in a non-Economy Plus seat. But I hear you otherwise. The vast spectrum of service is silly even for 1K.  I’m more surprised when it gets acknowledged or the FA proactively offers me drinks or whatnot due to my status than the expectation like it used to be.

Though I will say, beyond the international upgrade which are worth every penny of status for me, as I got married and had my first child, the other benefits that didn’t matter as much have become quite nice.  3 bags, no realistic weight limit, general priority stuff is all amazing when I have a 1 year old.

As for business vs comfort, I agree.  And FWIW, I was more speaking long haul.  I could care less about domestic first most of the time. I was speaking more specifically to people where cost is of little or no concern. Flying 4/6/14 hours in economy when you don’t need to is just not good for you especially on the high side of 40.

Agreed on Marriott.  My wife escalated my status a few years ago due to a couple of long domestic trips and it’s been fantastic.  Whereas before I was mostly a hotel FA or Hotels.Com (which has lost my business completely with their BS devaluation this year)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2072 on: November 13, 2023, 02:42:28 PM »
Are sports bars a thing in Malaysia? Should I plan on getting a VPN? Trying to plan a way to watch the Maui invitational games next week.
Maigh Eo for Sam

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #2073 on: November 13, 2023, 03:17:28 PM »
Are sports bars a thing in Malaysia? Should I plan on getting a VPN? Trying to plan a way to watch the Maui invitational games next week.
Lots of sports bars but you'll struggle to find anything other than football (soccer) unless it's F1.

I'm in Senegal at the moment and watched the first two MU games using VPN & fox sports app with TV provider sign in.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2074 on: November 13, 2023, 03:37:54 PM »

Depends on your tolerance.  VPN for Fox Sports/ESPN will depend on your wifi connection cause a lot of time in Asia I feel like my speeds get chopped when I use a VPN and that can affect those streaming apps.

Otherwise, places like VIPBox or other streaming sites are good for situations like this.  But I always use incognito mode and Malware blocker, plus accept I’m gonna have to close a few popups