collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 209808 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #2025 on: October 25, 2023, 09:35:14 PM »
AP headline: An off-duty pilot is accused of trying to shut down the engines of a Horizon Air jet in midflight

https://apnews.com/article/alaska-airlines-safety-security-457e4bc7a1eca47842ce64aebe512c24?user_email=6647dfa7189f748384d7389910f7b584c6fcfc35ae990102964c7e826d4175c7&utm_medium=Afternoon_Wire&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_campaign=AfternoonWire_Oct23_2023&utm_term=Afternoon%20Wire

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — An off-duty pilot riding in the extra seat in the cockpit of a Horizon Air passenger jet tried to shut down the engines in midflight and had to be subdued by the crew, a pilot flying the plane told air traffic controllers.

Authorities in Oregon identified the man as Joseph David Emerson, 44. He was being held Monday on 83 counts each of attempted murder and reckless endangerment and one count of endangering an aircraft, according to the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office.

Apparently he was in a depressive state, hadn't slept in 2 days, and taken mushrooms a few days before...SHEESH

https://apnews.com/article/alaska-airlines-safety-security-3a86194cccae802341243c77ea0d95ee

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2026 on: October 25, 2023, 09:59:29 PM »
Apparently he was in a depressive state, hadn't slept in 2 days, and taken mushrooms a few days before...SHEESH

https://apnews.com/article/alaska-airlines-safety-security-3a86194cccae802341243c77ea0d95ee

I mean, we've all been there.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #2027 on: October 25, 2023, 10:32:16 PM »
Book a valet service on Mannheim. Covered for 21.75 a day versus $22 at Lot F. Other services also offer heated options. Discount for longer stays. Can reserve your spot.

https://www.preflightairportparking.com/location/ORD?gclid=CjwKCAjw-eKpBhAbEiwAqFL0mlpsBQWQ6xSWlDkagBXdnYHrUIDoBCXhc7I1xnp056FlgrvS-z4LnRoCNPsQAvD_BwE

I also have booked at Rosemont Hotels but they mostly have surface lots. If you stay at least a night, they offer parking better deals. Their hotel shuttles drop you at O'Hare for no cost and most run 24/7. $15-$18 a day.

Thanks everyone.  I've booked pre-flight.  I would do the hotel thing if my flight is early in the day but this time it's an evening flight so better to drive down the day of.  Thanks!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #2028 on: October 28, 2023, 06:17:51 PM »
Has anyone done the AutoTrain from DC to Orlando?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2029 on: October 28, 2023, 06:38:49 PM »
I know someone who has used it because the had only one driver from Connecticut and friend was meeting the rest of the family later in Florida.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2030 on: October 28, 2023, 08:27:45 PM »
Any recommendations for restaurants, hiking/activities and hotels for the Sedona area? Traveling April 2024

Would love a hotel recommendation as well for Fort Lauderdale in July 2024. We'll be staying a couple nights before a cruise. Trying to find a nicer hotel beachfront
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 10:11:36 AM by jesmu84 »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2031 on: October 29, 2023, 10:41:53 AM »
Any recommendations for restaurants, hiking/activities and hotels for the Sedona area? Traveling April 2024

Would love a hotel recommendation as well for Fort Lauderdale in July 2024. We'll be staying a couple nights before a cruise. Trying to find a nicer hotel beachfront

In Fort Lauderdale beach, the Marriott Harbor Beach is nice. Tucked away from the crowds. On the strip, the Westin, ritz, W, and Hilton are good.
Or you could be a bit more off the beaten path and do Hollywood beach, the Marriott and Margaritaville hotels are nice. And Hollywood beach has a nice boardwalk with lots of restaurants.
Let me know where you end up staying and I’ll throw out some restaurant suggestions.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #2032 on: October 30, 2023, 02:29:13 PM »
Any Miami recommendations? We’ll have maybe 1.5 days available and are staying in Brickell.

Thanks all!

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2033 on: October 30, 2023, 02:41:38 PM »

Dining in Sedona, you have to hit Mariposa. Amazing views. I would take a stop at the Chapel of the Holy Cross as well (even if you are not very religious). Devil's Bridge is the best hike IMO

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #2034 on: October 30, 2023, 05:28:57 PM »
Dining in Sedona, you have to hit Mariposa. Amazing views. I would take a stop at the Chapel of the Holy Cross as well (even if you are not very religious). Devil's Bridge is the best hike IMO

Mariposa was going to be my recommendation as well. Sit outside if it’s warm enough.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2035 on: October 30, 2023, 05:37:28 PM »
Thanks folks

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2036 on: November 01, 2023, 02:39:32 PM »
Going to Australia in a couple weeks, haven’t travelled internationally in a while. I have travel adapters for our family to use, however, I use a CPAP machine for sleeping. Question for those that travel overseas frequently, do I need a power converter for my CPAP instead of the adapter?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2037 on: November 01, 2023, 02:55:37 PM »

We stayed in Flagstaff and commuted the 20 miles or so to Sedona. Beautiful drive and Hotels will be cheaper if that’s what you want. Considering that we are on the road for 30 days, that is a factor.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2038 on: November 01, 2023, 03:58:33 PM »
Going to Australia in a couple weeks, haven’t travelled internationally in a while. I have travel adapters for our family to use, however, I use a CPAP machine for sleeping. Question for those that travel overseas frequently, do I need a power converter for my CPAP instead of the adapter?

Somewhere on the plug or machine it should have a volt rating. If it is up to 230v you should be fine. I just looked in. Australia is on 230 V not 220.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2039 on: November 01, 2023, 04:06:55 PM »
Somewhere on the plug or machine it should have a volt rating. If it is up to 230v you should be fine. I just looked in. Australia is on 230 V not 220.

Yea I don’t have a CPAP but it’s similar to blow dryers and curling irons.  If it has variable voltage settings or a range for the destination, you’re fine with just an adapter.  Otherwise you need the actual power converter

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2040 on: November 01, 2023, 04:26:06 PM »

Thanks, much appreciated. Just checked the plug adapter on my machine, it lists 100v - 240v.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2041 on: November 10, 2023, 10:00:05 AM »
Ahh yes, it will be quite an experience regardless! Even for someone as well traveled as yourself, India is unlike many others IMO.

As others have said, stay in an upscale Western brand hotel, as they often cater to business travel, they all have their own onsite water purification systems.  So you can at least feel at ease about water in the showers, brushing your teeth, ice at the bar/restaurant etc.  As well stuff like fresh fruits and veggies.  When I stay in a hotel I RARELY eat at a hotel restaurant. When I’m in India, it’s usually my default in the evening and certainly for breakfast.

Bottled water is easy to find and the go to everywhere.  Most business meetings I attend has the staff bringing me a cup of water as is customary before the colleagues im meeting quickly say “ no no, bottle please”

No ice outside the hotel. NO ICE NO ICE.  I’ve thankfully, touch wood, never got truly sick outside of a few hour stomach issue in India, but the only times those stomach issues occurred was due to ice.  Once at an upscale restaurant and the other at super fancy nightclub that a friend of a friend owned that my table was near 2 different groups of Bollywood stars that had the crowds in awe.  It felt like I was in Vegas or NYC so I relaxed, had a number of mixed drinks with ice…and paid the price the next day.  They still make the ice with local water

I don’t often travel with medication cause I’ve got my routine pretty down, but Cipro is my recommendation for anyone.  If you tell your doctor you are traveling to India, they should prescribe it no issue. I’ve known people that were doubled over with stomach pain, worse than they had experienced, took Cipro, and felt mostly normal within a few hours.

Hotels will handle airport transport if you ask, but while the prices for rooms are great value, the transport is usually insane. For example, the Sofitel in Mumbai I normally stay is PLUSH. Super fancy, incredible service, truly an oasis.  I usually pay no more than $150 a night and that is a club room with a private area upstairs with happy hour and whatnot.  But if you want them to book you a car to the airport? They charge like $60. It’s wild.  Uber is widespread and easy to use there and incredibly cheap.  It’s safe, usually clean, and always air conditioned.

Ive never had malaria cautions when I have visited, but if it’s something you worry about, with everything in India, better safe than sorry.

I’ve only been to Delhi, Bangalore, and Calcutta once each. But Mumbai I think I hit visit number 15 back in April. So feel free to shoot me a PM with any questions you may have there

Funny enough, I’m posting from HK.  My first time back since Feb 2019.  Feels like I never left.  But man things have gotten pricier

First day back at the office after 13 days traveling between Singapore, Malaysia and India. 

Singapore is fantastic.  What else can one say.  My hotel ended up being across the street for Lau Pa Sat hawker pavilion and I probably ate their about 5 times.  Very inexpensive delicious food and I watched them set up Satay Street every night in front of my hotel and it would take an hour plus for the grills to warm up at the 15 satay stands.  I had two trips to Malaysia, one a partial day to Johor just over the border and an overnight trip to Penang.   I was with my Singapore reps and we used Air Asia.  My plane ticket for the 1hr 15mi flight was $27 one way.    I had time on Saturday so I visited the Observation Deck at the Gardens by the Bay and Asian Civilizations Museum.  It's a history museum covering the last 1,200 years of trade between Europe, Middle East, India, China, SE Asia, Indonesia & Philippines.  Great detail including display of a 9th century Chinese shipwreck found off the coast of Indonesia.

I was in Bangalore one night and did little more than arrive at my hotel at noon and catch up on work stuff.  The next day my van driver drove to the wrong address of my customer and I ended up being 45 minutes late to my appointment which didn't matter in the end.  Went right to the airport after the visit.  The Cricket World Cup is going on in India.  While waiting to board my flight to Delhi, the Indian National Cricket team walked past my gate (with heavy security) and everyone was going bonkers seeing the team and taking photos.

Delhi was a extreme smog covered city.  As Wags said I had all meals in the hotel and I still took precaution.  I did run one morning despite the pollution as I just had to see the India Gate, War Memorial and green Mall down the street from my hotel.  Seeing the packs of wild monkey's and wild dogs all over.  My van driver got me to the right neighborhood of my customer, but the wrong address and I had to call my customer who helped my driver navigate to his location.  Google Maps took us through some of the poorest destitution I ever saw.  (Used clothing sorters working on the street among piles of garbage and barely room for the van to past through among other things viusally witnessed.) 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2042 on: November 10, 2023, 11:21:13 AM »
Glad you survived, sounds like an awesome trip!  Your flight reminded me of when I flew Singapore to Jakarta on Scoot.  I think our tickets were $30 each plus $10 each for a checked bag for a 1:45 flight.

The slums of major Indian cities are both depressing and fascinating.  I’ve managed to block out some of the more depressing stuff I’ve seen but I’m always amazed at the rough infrastructure. Ramshackle dwellings made of assorted pieces, but tons of wires supplying electricity and, my personal favorite, no shortage of satellite dishes.

I remember being stuck in traffic one day near some more developed slums and on the first floor, under some dwellings that had tarps as partial roofs, seeing a pet store.  Inside there were probably two dozen decently large aquariums and even a small saltwater tank at the front of the store.  It was pretty remarkable

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2043 on: November 10, 2023, 11:51:47 AM »
MU Fan in CT

I had 12 days in India, and it went better than I expected. I stayed at all Marriott properties, with exception in Bangalore, and had no health/food issues. Ate every meal at the hotel, with exception of Hard Rock for lunch on the last day. The dogs and monkey's made walking around difficult and we used a driver to go everywhere. We had four nights at hotel that lost their liquor license but used hotel car to take us to another hotel for cocktails.

That is the good news, the bad news it looks like India will be regular stop for me in 2024. I appreciated Wags and others mentioning not to let my guard down on food and water.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2044 on: November 10, 2023, 01:24:01 PM »
MU Fan in CT

I had 12 days in India, and it went better than I expected. I stayed at all Marriott properties, with exception in Bangalore, and had no health/food issues. Ate every meal at the hotel, with exception of Hard Rock for lunch on the last day. The dogs and monkey's made walking around difficult and we used a driver to go everywhere. We had four nights at hotel that lost their liquor license but used hotel car to take us to another hotel for cocktails.

That is the good news, the bad news it looks like India will be regular stop for me in 2024. I appreciated Wags and others mentioning not to let my guard down on food and water.

Goose, Good to hear your trip went well also. 

I stayed in the ITC Gardenia a Marriott Hotel in Bangalore if you need a Marriott there in the future.  A very nice property.  It's right on Cubbon Park in the center of Bangalore.
Bangalore has a nice new airport which I was glad to see.  It's much larger, better organized with more and better shopping amenities inside than the old terminal next door.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2045 on: November 10, 2023, 01:31:46 PM »
MU Fan

Thanks for the hotel tip in Bangalore. Much appreciated.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2046 on: November 10, 2023, 02:45:00 PM »
Has anyone done the AutoTrain from DC to Orlando?

I haven't personally, but have known folks who have and they haven't had any complaints.  It's certainly not 5 stars, but a relaxing way to break up the trip if you are into trains.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2047 on: November 10, 2023, 02:54:29 PM »
I haven't personally, but have known folks who have and they haven't had any complaints.  It's certainly not 5 stars, but a relaxing way to break up the trip if you are into trains.

👀

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2048 on: November 10, 2023, 03:05:47 PM »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2049 on: November 10, 2023, 03:22:36 PM »
MU Fan in CT

Silver lining, it does get much easier with continued travels.  Would I prefer to head to HK or Singapore, much less London/Antwerp/Geneva? Sure.  But you get a routine, the precautionary stuff becomes second nature, and things that were weird, annoying, or strange either become non-issues/background noise or charming in a bizarre way.

It’s something I joke/“complain” about with people who don’t travel much or travel plenty but not there…but when I talk to people in the industry or my friends who have traveled there a bit for work, it’s nothing more than a passing crack or two, usually of the “only in India…” variety