collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 209643 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #2000 on: October 23, 2023, 09:25:59 AM »
It’s been a while since I’ve flown out of here, but Logan has become America’s worst airport.

Yea, now that LGA updated, I don't have any disagreement.  It was always terrible in a way cause locationally made it a traffic nightmare, but the airport itself just STINKS.

Are you surprised? It's run by Massport!

Logan has been the world's worst airport for years.

Brother DG, I know you're decently traveled, Logan is a glorious beacon compared to many major city world airports.  Off the top of my head...Delhi, Chennai, Luton,  Berlin, Naples, and Manila.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2001 on: October 23, 2023, 06:30:29 PM »
AP headline: An off-duty pilot is accused of trying to shut down the engines of a Horizon Air jet in midflight

https://apnews.com/article/alaska-airlines-safety-security-457e4bc7a1eca47842ce64aebe512c24?user_email=6647dfa7189f748384d7389910f7b584c6fcfc35ae990102964c7e826d4175c7&utm_medium=Afternoon_Wire&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_campaign=AfternoonWire_Oct23_2023&utm_term=Afternoon%20Wire

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — An off-duty pilot riding in the extra seat in the cockpit of a Horizon Air passenger jet tried to shut down the engines in midflight and had to be subdued by the crew, a pilot flying the plane told air traffic controllers.

Authorities in Oregon identified the man as Joseph David Emerson, 44. He was being held Monday on 83 counts each of attempted murder and reckless endangerment and one count of endangering an aircraft, according to the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2002 on: October 24, 2023, 10:09:02 AM »
Fascinating (and terrifying). 83 counts of attempted murder from a single action has to be a record
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2003 on: October 24, 2023, 10:29:58 AM »
Fascinating (and terrifying). 83 counts of attempted murder from a single action has to be a record
Good thing he was "off duty" and not "on duty"

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2004 on: October 24, 2023, 11:20:19 AM »

Its certainly a unique way of prosecuting.  I'm sure there will be some sort of insanity defense but my god what a weird scenario.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #2005 on: October 24, 2023, 12:21:43 PM »
Yea, now that LGA updated, I don't have any disagreement.  It was always terrible in a way cause locationally made it a traffic nightmare, but the airport itself just STINKS.

Brother DG, I know you're decently traveled, Logan is a glorious beacon compared to many major city world airports.  Off the top of my head...Delhi, Chennai, Luton,  Berlin, Naples, and Manila.

But, but, but.... it's run by Massport! They make the Chicago Department of Aviation look organized and efficient.

Perhaps Boston Logan/Massport is not the absolute worst in the world. But it's up there.

I'd add to really bad airports, Minsk IV, the Minsk, Belarus Globalport! Was there in the 1990s and conditions in Belarus were so bad that they had all the lights in the stairways on the international concourse turned out to save energy, which they could not afford. For every operating jetliner on the tarmac (including western Boeings and Airbuses), there were 50 former Aeroflot jets made by Illushyn just rotting on the tarmac. For as "effective" a leader as is Belarus' Freely Elected Dictator for Life, those planes probably are still there!

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2006 on: October 24, 2023, 04:17:25 PM »
Terminals A and E at Logan are serviceable, the rest can die in a firey hell.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2007 on: October 24, 2023, 08:50:09 PM »
Has anyone ever gone to the Olympics before? Best practices for tickets/accommodation etc.
Went to 96 summer Olympics as guest of a Major Corporate Sponsor . That is the best way to get accommodations and tickets. The sponsor's book up all the major hotels in the area .

Tickets are always available at a price for any event you want  . We went to swimming , boxing , tennis and table tennis .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #2008 on: October 24, 2023, 10:06:46 PM »
Anyone got any secrets for long term parking at ORD?  Preferably covered, because I don't enjoy shoveling snow off the car after a long international flight.  I'll be traveling from there in 2-3 week stretches for the foreseeable future.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2009 on: October 24, 2023, 10:36:36 PM »
Anyone got any secrets for long term parking at ORD?  Preferably covered, because I don't enjoy shoveling snow off the car after a long international flight.  I'll be traveling from there in 2-3 week stretches for the foreseeable future.

Probably not a secret, but any trips I take that are longer than 2 nights, I use Economy Lot F, and do everything possible to find a spot on the 4th floor (which is covered). That lot has the tram to take you to the terminals, so you’re never outside.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2010 on: October 24, 2023, 11:10:24 PM »

If you're gonna be out of town for 2-3 weeks, why not just Uber/Lyft to the airport. Unless you're going to ORD from Madison or something, that would have to be significant less expensive than parking there for multiple weeks.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #2011 on: October 24, 2023, 11:28:51 PM »
If you're gonna be out of town for 2-3 weeks, why not just Uber/Lyft to the airport. Unless you're going to ORD from Madison or something, that would have to be significant less expensive than parking there for multiple weeks.
I'm driving 3.5 hours to ORD... because flights from CWA are too unreliable.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #2012 on: October 24, 2023, 11:29:53 PM »
Probably not a secret, but any trips I take that are longer than 2 nights, I use Economy Lot F, and do everything possible to find a spot on the 4th floor (which is covered). That lot has the tram to take you to the terminals, so you’re never outside.

Pre-book or just hope you're lucky?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2013 on: October 24, 2023, 11:55:11 PM »
Pre-book or just hope you're lucky?

I don’t believe you can pre-book Lot F. It’s attached to the rental car facility, only floors 4 (covered) and 5 (roof, not covered) are open economy parking.

Fourth floor may show that it’s full and tell you to go up to 5. My advice, ignore it, and stay on 4 to find an open spot. The red/green lights above and the numbers/arrows that are supposed to indicate if a space is open or not are both pointless, the green is almost always wrong. If you drive around enough though on 4, you’ll find a spot.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2014 on: October 25, 2023, 08:30:14 AM »
I don’t believe you can pre-book Lot F. It’s attached to the rental car facility, only floors 4 (covered) and 5 (roof, not covered) are open economy parking.

Fourth floor may show that it’s full and tell you to go up to 5. My advice, ignore it, and stay on 4 to find an open spot. The red/green lights above and the numbers/arrows that are supposed to indicate if a space is open or not are both pointless, the green is almost always wrong. If you drive around enough though on 4, you’ll find a spot.

Just to chime in here, this is good advice and was my go-to for airport parking the last few years I flew out of ORD.  And the "open spaces" is always wrong.  I once drove up to 4, it said "full" and had a temporary barricade there.  Drove around it, entered the floor, and saw at least 25 spots within a few min.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2015 on: October 25, 2023, 08:34:19 AM »
Just to chime in here, this is good advice and was my go-to for airport parking the last few years I flew out of ORD.  And the "open spaces" is always wrong.  I once drove up to 4, it said "full" and had a temporary barricade there.  Drove around it, entered the floor, and saw at least 25 spots within a few min.
Way to break the law! Lucky you didn't get towed.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2016 on: October 25, 2023, 08:34:32 AM »
Good thing he was "off duty" and not "on duty"

I guess that is a good argument against premeditation (first degree murder) for the defense. If he was really thinking about this ahead of time, wouldn't he have waited until he was actually in control of the plane? Sounds like a spur of the moment breakdown. Maybe an argument with the other pilots in the cockpit or some other trigger.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 08:36:09 AM by Coleman »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2017 on: October 25, 2023, 08:35:58 AM »
Way to break the law! Lucky you didn't get towed.

When I say barricade, I actually mean "solitary traffic cone"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2018 on: October 25, 2023, 08:56:35 AM »

Book a valet service on Mannheim. Covered for 21.75 a day versus $22 at Lot F. Other services also offer heated options. Discount for longer stays. Can reserve your spot.

https://www.preflightairportparking.com/location/ORD?gclid=CjwKCAjw-eKpBhAbEiwAqFL0mlpsBQWQ6xSWlDkagBXdnYHrUIDoBCXhc7I1xnp056FlgrvS-z4LnRoCNPsQAvD_BwE

I also have booked at Rosemont Hotels but they mostly have surface lots. If you stay at least a night, they offer parking better deals. Their hotel shuttles drop you at O'Hare for no cost and most run 24/7. $15-$18 a day.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2019 on: October 25, 2023, 10:06:01 AM »

Understood. That would be a pricey Uber!

There are discount airport parking sites like this one - https://airportparkingreservations.com/search/ord?checkindate=2023-11-04&checkoutdate=2023-11-18&date=2023-10-25&token=dae2f7d6-7347-11ee-aadf-4d7e51ceb429

Also, Spot Hero could help perhaps?

Good luck in your search.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2020 on: October 25, 2023, 01:01:50 PM »

If we are flying out of ORD for a long period of time, we do park/stay/fly.  Drive to Illinois the night before, park at the suburban hotel right under a lightpole, and take the shuttle to the airport the next morning. Or you can drive in the day of and stay at the hotel on the back end. Depending on how long you are going to be gone, it's often cheaper than paying for just the parking in a remote or off-site lot.  I use this website a lot:

https://parksleepfly.com

It probably won't be covered, but at a certain cost savings, I will happily get the scraper out.
Have some patience, FFS.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2021 on: October 25, 2023, 01:24:58 PM »
Can't you just park at one of the Illinois scooper's homes, and have them drive you to and from the airport?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2022 on: October 25, 2023, 01:57:15 PM »
If we are flying out of ORD for a long period of time, we do park/stay/fly.  Drive to Illinois the night before, park at the suburban hotel right under a lightpole, and take the shuttle to the airport the next morning. Or you can drive in the day of and stay at the hotel on the back end. Depending on how long you are going to be gone, it's often cheaper than paying for just the parking in a remote or off-site lot.  I use this website a lot:

It probably won't be covered, but at a certain cost savings, I will happily get the scraper out.

Make sure the light pole isn't under a tree. Bird shyt as I learned.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2023 on: October 25, 2023, 03:31:22 PM »

Yeah but ders cheaper parkin' on 6th and Brown, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2024 on: October 25, 2023, 03:49:42 PM »
Book a valet service on Mannheim. Covered for 21.75 a day versus $22 at Lot F. Other services also offer heated options. Discount for longer stays. Can reserve your spot.

https://www.preflightairportparking.com/location/ORD?gclid=CjwKCAjw-eKpBhAbEiwAqFL0mlpsBQWQ6xSWlDkagBXdnYHrUIDoBCXhc7I1xnp056FlgrvS-z4LnRoCNPsQAvD_BwE

I also have booked at Rosemont Hotels but they mostly have surface lots. If you stay at least a night, they offer parking better deals. Their hotel shuttles drop you at O'Hare for no cost and most run 24/7. $15-$18 a day.

Preflight is solid. Also recommend BlueSky, they’ll bring your car in and have it warm for you. They used to offer full detail service as well.