collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 209600 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #1950 on: September 29, 2023, 08:30:42 AM »
I'd rather live with Sultan than be on a cruise ship for a week, much less 12 years.

We are nice hosts. Hope you don't have a problem with general nudity.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1951 on: September 29, 2023, 08:38:01 AM »

We are nice hosts. Hope you don't have a problem with general nudity.
I heard he did fine work in saving ryan's privates

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1952 on: September 29, 2023, 10:32:50 AM »
Our plan at retirement is a series of AirBnB's. First year is winter in Manhattan, next year is winter in Manhattan Beach.  From there i can see us spending a winter in San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Boston (maybe even Philly!) etc.

You must be a cold weather person. I’m the opposite of that.

Whenever I had a friend or family visit me in Chicago or Milwaukee, it was almost always later June-September unless it was for a specific event. And sometimes they remarked about the chilly Summer temps. They still talk about their Winter visits like a badge of honor.

Some of those places aren’t the best for everyone in the Winter, especially older people. Keep that in mind.

San Francisco and Manhattan Beach won’t matter much. You won’t get the warmer Summer temps inland from the South Bay in L.A. during Winter. Boston has some tough Winters. Not as bad but not great, NYC/Philly/Ballmer/DC. Seattle is very challenging in the Winter, more than all of the rest possibly. And these are all for people who seem to like endless sweatshirt weather.

Everyone is different. I’d say 105 with low humidity is the higher end of comfortable. With humidity, I’d say 80’s is the higher end of comfortable. But I know many Upper Midwest and Northern coastal types like it cooler or colder.

Let me know if you ever make it out to NYC or Manhattan Beach.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1953 on: September 29, 2023, 06:14:40 PM »
Stuck in the Charlotte Airport flight delays for 4 hours

MU82 any chance your in the airport ?
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1954 on: September 30, 2023, 08:12:12 AM »
Stuck in the Charlotte Airport flight delays for 4 hours

MU82 any chance your in the airport ?

I was not. Hope you got home OK.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
            ---Al McGuire

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1956 on: October 02, 2023, 07:45:43 AM »
No list of Austin places is complete without the world famous https://www.antonellischeese.com/ of capital one fame!  ;D

I have no idea what it’s really like but the Hyde Park restaurant next door is good. https://hpbng.com/

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1957 on: October 03, 2023, 02:33:39 PM »
Alright, need some advice. We are contemplating a trip to Costa Rica. We live by the ocean and used to live in Hawaii, so not really caring about the ocean part.
Teen son that is very adventurous. I know very little about the country. Assume I am flying into San Jose, just based on connections, price.
Jungle and mountains seem to be a draw.
Is an area of the country better than others? Especially for nature/adventure stuff?
Resort or awesome AirBnB better?
Any other tips?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1958 on: October 03, 2023, 02:47:38 PM »
Fly into San Jose. Stay near the Arenal volcano. There are a lot of nice resorts, adventure stuff around there.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1959 on: October 03, 2023, 03:40:01 PM »
Alright, need some advice. We are contemplating a trip to Costa Rica. We live by the ocean and used to live in Hawaii, so not really caring about the ocean part.
Teen son that is very adventurous. I know very little about the country. Assume I am flying into San Jose, just based on connections, price.
Is an area of the country better than others? Especially for nature/adventure stuff?
Any other tips?

Sultan's suggestion is a good one.  I would add that one of the coolest parts of Costa Rica was that you can drive or fly for just an hour or two and feel like you're in a completely different world.  The regions are just so different - e.g. the central region with volcanoes. mouintains, and temperate cloud forests vs the tropical rain forests of the southern and coastal parts of the country.  Both are ridiculously cool, but quite different, so just have a good idea what you're after.

The topography and scenery of the cloud forests is unlike anything else. However, if you're looking for the sloths, tapirs, monkeys, parrots and the other large, charismatic animals many people associate with Costa Rica, you won't find quite as much of it there in my experience. For that you need to head to the more remote and southern parts of the country.  For that, the Osa Peninsula is very cool, if a bit tough to get to - the Sansa puddle jumper was a small adventure in itself.  But you can access the Corcovado Natl Park from there, and with it right on the doorstep of the town, you get things like monkeys trying to steal your toiletries.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1960 on: October 04, 2023, 09:50:21 AM »
Any other tips?

Great place and great people.

You can roughly break down Costa Rica into sections.

San Jose and the Central Valley: San Jose is crowded, narrow streets, with Museums, cultural attractions, parks, galleries. Central Valley is the base of the mountains and volcanic peaks, lots of agriculture here. coffee, cocoa, dairy. 

Northern Plains: Arenal Volcano, hotsprings, lakes, rivers, lagoons, biodiversity, lots of festivals in the towns, it rains more often in this section. close to La Fortuna and the capital.

West Coast can be divided into the following areas:

Puntarenas: It’s on the Nicoya Peninsula, and includes the Golfo Islands. Saint Teresa, Montezuma, Tambor, etc…are all along the Peninsula.

Guanacaste: This is the area from the Nicaragua border to the Nicoya Peninsula. Liberia and Santa Cruz are the bigger areas. Mountain lowlands, dry forests, warmer here. Less humidity here.

Central Pacific: This area is most accessible. Jacó, Manuel Antonio, etc…you’ll want to go to here on your trip.

Southern Pacific is hot and humid and less developed and more remote. Probably skipping for a first timer.

Caribbean Coast has two sections:

Northeast: Rainforests, flat with rivers. Need a plane or boat to access.

Southeast: Afro Caribbean culture, banana farms. Puerto Viejo, Cahuita, Manzanillo. Very backpacker reggae vibe in some parts. Surfing is more seasonal (Dec-April) here than year round on Pacific side. Caribbean side has a much different vibe than the Pacific side. Both are worth exploring. Chile Rojo is one of a few spots in Puerto Viejo to stop by in th e evenings. Jaguar Rescue Center, Salsa Brava beach, Playa Negra, Ounta Uva, Chocolate farms etc…stay between playa cocles and Manzanillo. This side is super laid back.

You can cross the Sixaola border here, and take a boat to Bocas Del Toro in Panama. (great ppl here too) This is how many people cross between Costa Rica and Panama, as opposed to through Chiriquí in the Volcan Baru highlands, or even the NW coast of Panama which is less developed as opposed to the areas South of there such as David or the Gulf of Chiriquí or Azuero Peninsula etc…

If it were me, first time, San Jose, Central Valley, Central Pacific, Limón (SE Caribbean side/Puerto Viejo) and see what else you can fit in there. The challenge with the Caribbean is it is farther away, 4hrs as opposed to 1, 1.5. 2 to some other areas.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1961 on: October 04, 2023, 11:13:29 AM »
Dgies is a stud, he can't help it.    8-)
But Ms. Dgies threatens his economic viability if he enters stud service!  ;D

We are back in Florida and I would heartily endorse the idea of the summer in Chicago. The neighborhood was incredible and Brother MU and Herm were right. The restaurants were really good, the neighborhood safe and the people very warm. Ms. Dgies and I went to a Packers bar on Diversey a couple weeks ago to watch the Packers/Bears game. Ms. Dgies, who drinks beer and wine, won a free shot in the contest and all the 20-somethings cheered her on as she scarfed the shot. She was such a good sport that the 20-somethings invited her to join them the following week while I was in California on business.

She did and had a blast!

We found an incredible Catholic Church in the neighborhood, St. Clement's Parish, that had me clamoring to go back. Good mix of old and young, vibrant and engaged. The pastor was a Polish priest who has an MBA from Northwestern's Kellogg School and teaches Change Management at the Quinlan School at Loyola. His homilies were incredibly organized and presented similar to how I would do a Management presentation. And the church itself was stunning.

We were gone exactly three months. Next year, it's probably going to be two, as that long away from home probably is too much. Plus, we're going to do a cruise down the Danube next year.

For the record, I'm DEFINITELY NOT RETIRED! Not yet, anyway.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1962 on: October 04, 2023, 11:25:04 AM »
But Ms. Dgies threatens his economic viability if he enters stud service!  ;D

We are back in Florida and I would heartily endorse the idea of the summer in Chicago. The neighborhood was incredible and Brother MU and Herm were right. The restaurants were really good, the neighborhood safe and the people very warm. Ms. Dgies and I went to a Packers bar on Diversey a couple weeks ago to watch the Packers/Bears game. Ms. Dgies, who drinks beer and wine, won a free shot in the contest and all the 20-somethings cheered her on as she scarfed the shot. She was such a good sport that the 20-somethings invited her to join them the following week while I was in California on business.

She did and had a blast!

We found an incredible Catholic Church in the neighborhood, St. Clement's Parish, that had me clamoring to go back. Good mix of old and young, vibrant and engaged. The pastor was a Polish priest who has an MBA from Northwestern's Kellogg School and teaches Change Management at the Quinlan School at Loyola. His homilies were incredibly organized and presented similar to how I would do a Management presentation. And the church itself was stunning.

We were gone exactly three months. Next year, it's probably going to be two, as that long away from home probably is too much. Plus, we're going to do a cruise down the Danube next year.

For the record, I'm DEFINITELY NOT RETIRED! Not yet, anyway.

On Diversey? Which one? Would be surprised some place would try to steal crowd from Wills in that area.

Is Saint Clements the one on like Orchard just north of Fullerton? If so I went to a wedding there once, gorgeous church

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1963 on: October 04, 2023, 01:15:57 PM »
All of these posts mentioning San Jose Costa Rica reminded me of a friend's trip many years ago when trips were still booked through travel agents.

5 women took an annual girl's trip. The year after doing Tuscany Costa Rica was up.

2 booked together through the same travel agent, left on the plane only to land in San Jose Guatemala. No one had read things carefully including when boarding. At the time there were no flights between Guatemala and Costa Rica so it took a combination of flights/delays to join the other 3 women.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1964 on: October 04, 2023, 03:12:21 PM »
On Diversey? Which one? Would be surprised some place would try to steal crowd from Wills in that area.

Is Saint Clements the one on like Orchard just north of Fullerton? If so I went to a wedding there once, gorgeous church

The bar is in the 400 block of east Diversey. Willie Lills is the name of the place.

St. Clement's is on Deming at Orchard. You are right, it's a beautiful church. But there's lots of beautiful churches with a very unengaged congregation. This one is very different.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #1965 on: October 08, 2023, 06:02:09 PM »
I was just at MU wedding with 30 or Philly residents. Many of them were in law enforcement. All of them were implorring me to cme back and visit.  Nary a mention of the violence a few have mentioned above.  Interesting. 

Also, I'm spending next weekend in Chicago. If i make it out I'll report back. Hotel prices were pretty high. Marathon weekend and all.  I guess people are still showing up.   

Back on the train from an incredible weekend in Chicago.  The date worked for us bc of kids schedules.  Wasn’t sure what it would be like with the marathon. 

Despite 45,000 descending on the loop it still was fantastic as usual.  Made reservations at Gibson’s 4 weeks ago and though it was packed we had an amazing meal and they treated us like royalty. 

Took the 5:08 back.  Fun to spend the day in the city.  Marathon energy and then other oblivious to it.

I can’t imagine avoiding Chicago, it never disappoints.  One of our planet’s greatest treasures.  Already planning the next trip back. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1966 on: October 08, 2023, 08:02:32 PM »
Back on the train from an incredible weekend in Chicago.  The date worked for us bc of kids schedules.  Wasn’t sure what it would be like with the marathon. 

Despite 45,000 descending on the loop it still was fantastic as usual.  Made reservations at Gibson’s 4 weeks ago and though it was packed we had an amazing meal and they treated us like royalty. 

Took the 5:08 back.  Fun to spend the day in the city.  Marathon energy and then other oblivious to it.

I can’t imagine avoiding Chicago, it never disappoints.  One of our planet’s greatest treasures.  Already planning the next trip back.

I lived at Lasalle and Division for 6 years. I absolutely adored the area/location…except for Marathon weekend.  It’s been more than 5 years and I still have the sound of cowbells on an early Sunday morning ringing in my ears  :o

Only North American city I’ve found to be anything like Chicago was Toronto.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1967 on: October 11, 2023, 10:35:11 PM »
Thank you shoothoops for the detailed Costa Rica breakdown. I appreciate it.

For Austin, we just had a great, albeit pricey dinner at ATX Cuncina downtown. Great twist on TexMex. Nick Foles dad is part owner.
And I think it was mentioned upthread, but there are a wealth of food trucks in Austin. Find the ones with the long lines.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1968 on: October 11, 2023, 11:29:20 PM »
Thank you shoothoops for the detailed Costa Rica breakdown. I appreciate it.

For Austin, we just had a great, albeit pricey dinner at ATX Cuncina downtown. Great twist on TexMex. Nick Foles dad is part owner.
And I think it was mentioned upthread, but there are a wealth of food trucks in Austin. Find the ones with the long lines.

You're.welcome.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1969 on: October 12, 2023, 07:49:38 PM »
Have been on road all week. Airports packed everywhere
            ---Al McGuire

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1970 on: October 13, 2023, 12:31:25 PM »
Have been on road all week. Airports packed everywhere

At least hotel prices are cheap! I thought $500 a night for the Fairfield in Austin was very reasonable.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1971 on: October 13, 2023, 03:14:42 PM »
Only North American city I’ve found to be anything like Chicago was Toronto.

How true, how true!

When I was in Toronto for a long weekend with my wife, I really felt like I never left Chicago. Did Toronto on a weekend during Taste of the Danforth. Really couldn't tell the difference between that community and a Chicago neighborhood.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1973 on: October 13, 2023, 11:13:40 PM »
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 03:38:52 AM by shoothoops »

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #1974 on: October 14, 2023, 01:46:22 AM »
https://sf.eater.com/2023/10/12/23914487/north-beach-restaurant-closing-san-francisco?mibextid=Zxz2cZ

😢

I was always a Don Pistos in North Beach fan before checking out a local bespoke clothing/bag store. Apparently, DP is closed, too.

feedback