collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 209630 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #1925 on: September 28, 2023, 07:44:25 PM »
Springfield was a one company town.
International Harvester.
Springfield was ravaged in the 80's.

And there is nothing that is ever going to draw people back.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1926 on: September 28, 2023, 07:45:43 PM »
No.  Somehow avoided becoming a bedroom community for Dayton and Columbus.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1927 on: September 28, 2023, 08:04:56 PM »
Completely unrelated, I’m not surprised in the least that Delta’s CEO announced today that Delta is going to walk back some/a lot of their recent SkyMiles changes. I know a bunch of Delta folks that immediately switched over to United recently after the changes were announced.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1928 on: September 28, 2023, 08:18:18 PM »
Robinsonville? Tunica Resorts? Mark it down. I’m not much of a gambler though.

I have a friend who feels the same way about Hattiesburg. He can’t stand it. Funny thing is I had a friend who lived in Jackson for a time. (news anchor) Wish we had kept in touch better so I can have a better answer in this moment.

Actually I was thinking about the Hollywood Cafe. Great food and music. Granted I have not been in a long time. It’s the place referenced in the song Walking in Memphis.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1929 on: September 28, 2023, 08:44:27 PM »
Actually I was thinking about the Hollywood Cafe. Great food and music. Granted I have not been in a long time. It’s the place referenced in the song Walking in Memphis.

It’s the Southern part of that town, near the Arkansas border. Off of HWY 61. It’s maybe 30 miles S of Memphis. Yep. I know that song too.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1930 on: September 28, 2023, 09:12:03 PM »
Nah. You're a Negative Nancy.. That's gotta be exhausting.

You're also a bit loose and obsessive with the term contrarian. Seems like some projection going on there. Maybe you're just unhappy and argumentative.

Like I said I've never been to a bad place. That isn't saying something contrarian to anything. What is contrarian though is your follow up to it. If that works.for you, great. But that isn't me,

I’m sure my friends that grew up in a depressing dead end town where going to a good college was a unique escape are just negative nancies too.  They should be more like uninformed strangers.

The majority of my posts in this thread are praising places and giving recommendations for such places.  I literally agreed with your points about cities and pointed out exceptions.  You, having never been there, assured us we were wrong and now label me a negative person and that I’m unhappy and argumentative… right.  It’s also rich to call me argumentative coming from the person who shotguns 1000 words into a post if someone besmirches his hometown or favorite baseball team.

• All American
« Reply #1931 on: September 28, 2023, 09:24:14 PM »
I’m sure my friends that grew up in a depressing dead end town where going to a good college was a unique escape are just negative nancies too.  They should be more like uninformed strangers.

The majority of my posts in this thread are praising places and giving recommendations for such places.  I literally agreed with your points about cities and pointed out exceptions.  You, having never been there, assured us we were wrong and now label me a negative person and that I’m unhappy and argumentative… right.  It’s also rich to call me argumentative coming from the person who shotguns 1000 words into a post if someone besmirches his hometown or favorite baseball team.

To be fair, anyone who thinks St. Louis is actually a nice place is probably going to think there aren’t any bad places.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1932 on: September 28, 2023, 09:41:00 PM »
Been to Gary, Indiana much?

Or East St. Louis?

One of my parents grew up there, and the other one in Jackson, MS.  Needless to say, they aren't in any hurry to get back to either of those places.
Have some patience, FFS.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1933 on: September 28, 2023, 09:44:35 PM »

I don’t know your friends. I didn’t mention them. I said you are a Negative Nancy. You just don’t like my answer, my opinion. Maybe get over it.

Contrarian is a pet word for you that you overuse and don’t realize you are projecting about yourself.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1934 on: September 28, 2023, 09:45:39 PM »
Or East St. Louis?

One of my parents grew up there, and the other one in Jackson, MS.  Needless to say, they aren't in any hurry to get back to either of those places.

Sure. I’ve been to East St. Louis, many times.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1935 on: September 28, 2023, 09:52:19 PM »
To be fair, anyone who thinks St. Louis is actually a nice place is probably going to think there aren’t any bad places.

I’m anything if consistent when it comes to not bashing places. Your trolling isn’t going to change that I also think Milwaukee and Chicago are nice places and all of the other towns in Il and WI that compile the 75% plus Marquette student body.

A lot of people here seem to pick on you, so I’ll let you go. It’s gotta be tough on you daily to be that miserable.

It’s the same few negative people, every time here.

• All American
« Reply #1936 on: September 28, 2023, 09:55:54 PM »
I’m anything if consistent when it comes to not bashing places. Your trolling isn’t going to change that I also think Milwaukee and Chicago are nice places and all of the other towns in Il and WI that compile the 75% plus Marquette student body.

A lot of people here seem to pick on you, so I’ll let you go. It’s gotta be tough on you daily to be that miserable.

It’s the same few negative people, every time here.

Tribal

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1937 on: September 28, 2023, 10:11:13 PM »
Tribal

Yep. I understand that you’re tribal, and that explains how you post. I like every place. You don’t like places because of your sports team rooting interest. And to me, that’s pretty sad.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1938 on: September 28, 2023, 10:12:10 PM »
Brother Lens:

Last year, I moved from Chicago's Northern Suburbs to Vero Beach, FL. My deal with Ms. Dgies is we come back to Chicago in the summer and I get to go to at least one home game at FiServ.

We came back to Chicago in July and am here through this weekend. For the first time in our lives, we lived in the city itself. Yes, we heard the same crime reports you have and they stirred a healthy caution in us. But....

The experience has been wonderful. Other than one petty crime incident, we have had no problems. No, I don't go roaming the west side at 3:00 a.m., but we live in a nice community (Broadway, Clark and Diversey) with lots of nearby restaurants, bars, wine cellars and a host of everything else. It is what I wanted Chicago to be. Only downside is there's an occasional Badger in the neighborhood.

You'll live unless you troll the west or south side at 3:00 a.m., and if you, have your car fitted for armor plating and bullet proof glass.

Our last several years in Chicago, we lived right down the street from where you’re staying, dg.

Great area. So much to see and do within easy walking distance. Regularly walked to Lincoln Park Zoo, Wrigley, tons of restaurants, and all kinds of other spots.

Like every major metro (and some far, far smaller, “safer” places), Chicago has areas to avoid. So we avoided them, as have you. Otherwise, for 16 years, we loved living, working, playing and raising our kids in that great city.

I actually feel sorry for people who ignorantly parrot negative crapola they hear on TV.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #1939 on: September 28, 2023, 10:20:45 PM »
I can say fully that Springfield, OH is a bad place. 

The smallish factory town I’ve visited outside Surat, India with total poverty, basically owned by a old school brutal tycoon types, so bad that even the meager paid factory workers chose to commute from 20 min away rather than live there…is a bad place.

The meth haven in rural Southern PA near where my old roommate was from that felt like it was out of a movie when I visited…is a bad place.

Now if we are talking major cities?  Then I agree.  Even the worst most mockable have redeeming qualities and areas.  For example, Cleveland is often a punchline.  I personally thought Joachim Noah’s joke about vacationing there was hilarious.  But I actually adore Cleveland and was beyond surprised by how much I enjoyed it there at various stages of my life. 

But there are some truly bad places, even if they have some good people there.  Might actually be an interesting thread

Big fan of Cleveland. Back in the day, we would hit up the Flats, see a game at the Jake, and eat some great food. My longest friend and her entire family live in Olmsted Falls. Underrated city imo

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1940 on: September 28, 2023, 10:31:00 PM »
Hey now. I've spent more time in Tupelo, Oxford, Starkville and all the small towns between Memphis and Tuscaloosa.

You Jack Reacher?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1941 on: September 28, 2023, 10:33:06 PM »
Brother Lens:

Last year, I moved from Chicago's Northern Suburbs to Vero Beach, FL. My deal with Ms. Dgies is we come back to Chicago in the summer and I get to go to at least one home game at FiServ.

We came back to Chicago in July and am here through this weekend. For the first time in our lives, we lived in the city itself. Yes, we heard the same crime reports you have and they stirred a healthy caution in us. But....

The experience has been wonderful. Other than one petty crime incident, we have had no problems. No, I don't go roaming the west side at 3:00 a.m., but we live in a nice community (Broadway, Clark and Diversey) with lots of nearby restaurants, bars, wine cellars and a host of everything else. It is what I wanted Chicago to be. Only downside is there's an occasional Badger in the neighborhood.

You'll live unless you troll the west or south side at 3:00 a.m., and if you, have your car fitted for armor plating and bullet proof glass.
dgies9156:
Some of the best times of my life were spent near your current Chicago residence. Lived on Lincoln Park West with a great view of the Lake .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1942 on: September 28, 2023, 11:06:57 PM »
Big fan of Cleveland. Back in the day, we would hit up the Flats, see a game at the Jake, and eat some great food. My longest friend and her entire family live in Olmsted Falls. Underrated city imo

Agreed. Fantastic food scene in some of the traditional ethnic neighborhood pockets. A diverse and unpretentious yet eclectic bar scene. Lot to like. And it’s only continuing to evolve and develop from its industrial wasteland days.

Also, I get a kick out of Dgies the retiree spending the summer in a notorious new grad/young 20s landing spot.  But at the same time, it’s a great area with tons to do and still makes total sense for that type of demographic.  I spent my first year in Chicago a few blocks west at a Lincoln and Diversey.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1943 on: September 29, 2023, 05:15:24 AM »

I am a fan of Cleveland also.  I spent quite a bit of time there because in the Aughts' I had to go visit a supplier every quarter and I used to check the Indians schedule (in season) before making plans.  My supplier was in Painesville.
The area was even more interesting as it felt a little like Connecticut since it was originally part of the Connecticut Western Reserve   Every city and town had a Green including Cleveland because they were planned out by New Englanders.  I used to go local wine searching at the Giant Eagle.
Dortmunder Gold remains one of my favorite beers.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1944 on: September 29, 2023, 07:36:32 AM »
Agreed. Fantastic food scene in some of the traditional ethnic neighborhood pockets. A diverse and unpretentious yet eclectic bar scene. Lot to like. And it’s only continuing to evolve and develop from its industrial wasteland days.

Also, I get a kick out of Dgies the retiree spending the summer in a notorious new grad/young 20s landing spot.  But at the same time, it’s a great area with tons to do and still makes total sense for that type of demographic.  I spent my first year in Chicago a few blocks west at a Lincoln and Diversey.

Dgies is a stud, he can't help it.    8-)

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #1945 on: September 29, 2023, 07:44:08 AM »

Also, I get a kick out of Dgies the retiree spending the summer in a notorious new grad/young 20s landing spot. But at the same time, it’s a great area with tons to do and still makes total sense for that type of demographic.  I spent my first year in Chicago a few blocks west at a Lincoln and Diversey.

Our plan at retirement is a series of AirBnB's. First year is winter in Manhattan, next year is winter in Manhattan Beach.  From there i can see us spending a winter in San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Boston (maybe even Philly!) etc.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1946 on: September 29, 2023, 07:50:06 AM »

Aside from the relatively high cost of living and the weather, you're right that it's a great place for retirees to live, with just about everything one could want or need being very close by.

Wherever we move next - and there's a slight chance it could be back to Chicago - we will be looking for a neighborhood just like that because walkability (and easy public transportation) to stuff we want to do will be #1 on our list of requirements.

I know we'll be putting our lives on the line, of course, because every single neighborhood in every big city is a hellscape war zone, but I guess we're risk-takers like dgies.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1947 on: September 29, 2023, 07:56:16 AM »
Our plan at retirement is a series of AirBnB's. First year is winter in Manhattan, next year is winter in Manhattan Beach.  From there i can see us spending a winter in San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Boston (maybe even Philly!) etc.

A Marquette couple we met a few years ago at a Charlotte game-watching gathering did a version of that for almost a year.

They knew they wanted to move somewhere but weren't sure exactly where, so they sold their house, put most of their stuff in storage, and then spent 3-6 weeks in each of numerous airbnbs. I think they did Charleston, Nashville, Savannah, Hilton Head, Pawley's Island, Sarasota and a few others. They ended up loving Hilton Head and recently bought a house there.

So not exactly what you're talking about doing, but similar.

Several years back, we knew a couple who "lived" on cruise ships for nearly 2 years!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 09:09:26 AM by MU82 »

• All American
« Reply #1948 on: September 29, 2023, 08:06:24 AM »
Several years back, we knew a couple who "lived" on cruise ships for nearly 2 years!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2015/01/19/woman-pays-164k-per-year-to-live-on-luxury-cruise-ship/22030011/

This is from 2015, but I think the only thing that stopped her was Covid. So 12 years living on a cruise ship.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1949 on: September 29, 2023, 08:23:45 AM »
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2015/01/19/woman-pays-164k-per-year-to-live-on-luxury-cruise-ship/22030011/

This is from 2015, but I think the only thing that stopped her was Covid. So 12 years living on a cruise ship.

I'd rather live with Sultan than be on a cruise ship for a week, much less 12 years.