[Today at 08:33:37 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Jay Bee
[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 209506 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #1875 on: September 26, 2023, 02:46:01 PM »
PBI you are absolutely right. Franklin's is not worth the wait. It's good, but not nearly worth the wait or the hype it gets, especially with so many great places around. Salt Lick is my go to Austin bbq joint but it is a trek.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1876 on: September 26, 2023, 03:30:45 PM »
PBI you are absolutely right. Franklin's is not worth the wait. It's good, but not nearly worth the wait or the hype it gets, especially with so many great places around. Salt Lick is my go to Austin bbq joint but it is a trek.

The Salt Lick in the airport is good and does to go packing!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1877 on: September 26, 2023, 03:49:59 PM »
Lens - the name of the trattoria is Piccolo Arancio.  Also, there is a pizza place, Piccolo Buco, where we saw people lining up in our alley to get into sometimes for over an hour.  With all the pizza places in Rome we figured we had to try it to see if it was worth the wait. It was, although we got there early and only waited around 20 minutes.

I stayed in that neighborhood when I was there in April 2022 and I probably walked by those restaurants. 
In Italy I found it best to make reservations for dinner before lunch time the day of.  The One Table App was my friend.  Every place had a line and a wait otherwise.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1878 on: September 26, 2023, 09:49:08 PM »
I stayed in that neighborhood when I was there in April 2022 and I probably walked by those restaurants. 
In Italy I found it best to make reservations for dinner before lunch time the day of.  The One Table App was my friend.  Every place had a line and a wait otherwise.

Go across the river to Trastevere.  A lot less crazy than the main part of Rome.  A super charming neighborhood with tons of great locals restaurants that you can just walk in. 
Have some patience, FFS.

MU1in77

• Walk-On
« Reply #1879 on: September 27, 2023, 12:07:14 PM »
Go across the river to Trastevere.  A lot less crazy than the main part of Rome.  A super charming neighborhood with tons of great locals restaurants that you can just walk in.
Chick - we booked a tour of the Vatican one morning then took a cab to the Trastevere area for a late lunch. It’s a great area and we walked through the Jewish district on our way back to the Airbnb.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1880 on: September 27, 2023, 03:00:06 PM »
Getting sent to Philadelphia for work for a week in October. Never been before. Any must sees or must eats? I'm staying pretty much in the heart of downtown.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1881 on: September 27, 2023, 03:10:21 PM »
Getting sent to Philadelphia for work for a week in October. Never been before. Any must sees or must eats? I'm staying pretty much in the heart of downtown.

Reading Terminal Market

https://readingterminalmarket.org/

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #1882 on: September 27, 2023, 03:46:36 PM »

Middle Child Clubhouse is my go to a handful of times a year. Food and cocktails are awesome, never had breakfast there but hear that’s how they got their start. Finish dinner with a delicious amaro.

I’m a fan of Sonny’s for a cheesesteak, we go there a handful of times a year, it’s near Penn’s Landing, and Angelo’s in South Philly is widely regarded as a classic. Depending on when you’re there, Old City has First Fridays, which is fun. I second Reading Market, get a roast pork from Tommy Dinic’s, mmm mmm I love broccoli rabe and provolone. Eat at Zahav or Laser Wolf if you can get a reservation. Otherwise, go to Franklin’s Table Food Hall at UPenn and hit up Goldie’s. Philly pizza and bagels are oft overlooked in the shadow of the big city that is NYC.

Of course, hit all the historical sites you can take, stroll through Rittenhouse Square, run the steps at the Art Museum, sit by the river, check out University City specifically Locust Walk at UPenn, go to Fishtown, South Philly, all the neighborhoods. There is a great Ethiopian place in West Philly if you care to venture out that way.

Enjoy!

Edit: And how could I forget, I grew up eating this with my grandfather. Have a warm, soft pretzel smothered in good, brown mustard. And, grab a Federal Donut, you won’t be disappointed.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 04:31:32 PM by 21Jumpstreet »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1883 on: September 27, 2023, 04:09:13 PM »
Reading Terminal Market

https://readingterminalmarket.org/

The market is fantastic. People obviously talk a lot about the various cheesesteak places, but I had a brisket sandwich at Herschel's Deli in the Reading Market that I still think about to this day. Much better and more memorable than Pat's or Geno's (I honestly don't remember which of them we went to).

Also, we had some great hand-pulled noodles in China Town which is also very close.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #1884 on: September 27, 2023, 04:34:16 PM »
The market is fantastic. People obviously talk a lot about the various cheesesteak places, but I had a brisket sandwich at Herschel's Deli in the Reading Market that I still think about to this day. Much better and more memorable than Pat's or Geno's (I honestly don't remember which of them we went to).

Also, we had some great hand-pulled noodles in China Town which is also very close.

Similar feeling with Tommy Dinic’s and John’s Roast Pork. Gotta have a cheesesteak, but there are some other killer sandwiches in Philly. Second China Town, and also had decent Japanese ish at Izakaya in Fishtown.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1885 on: September 27, 2023, 07:27:36 PM »

May wanna partake in a little lootin'. Seems like dat's a popular activity in Philly, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #1886 on: September 27, 2023, 07:39:37 PM »

Like others have said, a cheesesteak.  Lots of good ones. You can benchmark all others by your Philly experience.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1887 on: September 27, 2023, 09:30:20 PM »
Middle Child Clubhouse is my go to a handful of times a year. Food and cocktails are awesome, never had breakfast there but hear that’s how they got their start. Finish dinner with a delicious amaro.

I’m a fan of Sonny’s for a cheesesteak, we go there a handful of times a year, it’s near Penn’s Landing, and Angelo’s in South Philly is widely regarded as a classic. Depending on when you’re there, Old City has First Fridays, which is fun. I second Reading Market, get a roast pork from Tommy Dinic’s, mmm mmm I love broccoli rabe and provolone. Eat at Zahav or Laser Wolf if you can get a reservation. Otherwise, go to Franklin’s Table Food Hall at UPenn and hit up Goldie’s. Philly pizza and bagels are oft overlooked in the shadow of the big city that is NYC.

Of course, hit all the historical sites you can take, stroll through Rittenhouse Square, run the steps at the Art Museum, sit by the river, check out University City specifically Locust Walk at UPenn, go to Fishtown, South Philly, all the neighborhoods. There is a great Ethiopian place in West Philly if you care to venture out that way.

Enjoy!

Edit: And how could I forget, I grew up eating this with my grandfather. Have a warm, soft pretzel smothered in good, brown mustard. And, grab a Federal Donut, you won’t be disappointed.

These are good.

Some other things to see and do and eat:

Rittenhouse Square as a place to see. There are some $$$ higher end spots there like Parc the French Bistro.

Franklin’s Table if he’s at UPenn.

South Philly Barbacoa (Mexican)

Tierra Columbiana (North Philly)

Angelo’s  mentioned.) S 9th St.

First timer should probably see the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Rocky, etc…

DiNics (mentioned) Roast Pork and Beef at Reading Terminal Market among many other things there.

Middle Child Clubhouse (mentioned) 2 locations.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1888 on: September 27, 2023, 09:32:30 PM »

My favorite place for margaritas outside of Mexico is in Philly. El Vez in the heart of downtown is amazing. Always packed. Good food, great margaritas. And I’m really picky.

Also, for beers, Monk’s Cafe has great beer, including one of the few east coast places for Pliny the elder.
McGillen’s is the oldest bar in Philly.  For a bit of history, If you are in the neighborhood. Though I actually like Bru Craft and Wurst across the alley.

And yeah, the Reading Terminal Market is a must. If the line is long and the food looks good, wait in the line.

Edited to add: second the Rittenhouse Square. Great people watching scene too.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 09:34:22 PM by pbiflyer »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1889 on: September 27, 2023, 09:33:13 PM »

Yep. You could eat a lot of good meals there. The Reading Terminal Market is definitely a first stop/favorite stop type of place when in Philly for a variety of things.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1890 on: September 27, 2023, 11:43:21 PM »

May wanna partake in a little lootin'. Seems like dat's a popular activity in Philly, hey?

Fear and control, fear and control.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1891 on: September 28, 2023, 03:57:12 AM »
Nah man, reality. You ok with smash and grab? What da fook is wrong wit people, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1892 on: September 28, 2023, 07:46:19 AM »

Nah man, reality. You ok with smash and grab? What da fook is wrong wit people, hey?
Seems like Grab and Go food has been taken to another level in Philly….

https://www.foxnews.com/us/philadelphia-swarmed-alleged-juvenile-looters-targeting-apple-store-lululemon-footlocker-others

https://www.foxnews.com/us/philadelphia-looting-break-stolen-atm-crime-spree-continues-2nd-night-leaving-residents-desperate
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1894 on: September 28, 2023, 09:33:29 AM »
A law and order society can't return quickly enough, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1895 on: September 28, 2023, 09:37:48 AM »

Enjoy your time in Philadelphia.  Like any city in America, suburb, rural or urban, it has its share of problems but has plenty to offer.  Some will say it’s dangerous and we need law and order but there has never been a time in America without serious crime problems but a lot of people ignore history and don’t want it taught and that’s why we have that problem. 

Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1896 on: September 28, 2023, 09:53:45 AM »
"That's why we have the problem." Who knew? Seems like a simple fix, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1897 on: September 28, 2023, 09:59:02 AM »

A law and order society can't return quickly enough, aina?

"That's why we have the problem." Who knew? Seems like a simple fix, hey?

My "simple fix" if I would a mod would be a permaban for your nonsense replies to a travel topic. 

But they're nicer than I am.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1898 on: September 28, 2023, 10:06:34 AM »
Just swipe the smash snd grab under the rug. Nothin' to see here, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1899 on: September 28, 2023, 10:29:37 AM »
Philadelphia is a great city.  As a student of history, I’d visit all the historical sites
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.