[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 209471 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #1850 on: September 19, 2023, 11:07:34 AM »
MU Fan

Any info would be appreciated.

Wags
I know you have discussed India in the past, but any tips would be appreciated. I am going to be in Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore and Rajkot.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1851 on: September 19, 2023, 11:24:06 AM »
Get shots and malaria meds.  There should be a Passport Health Travel Clinic.

Don't forget you need a visa.  You just apply online.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1852 on: September 19, 2023, 11:47:18 AM »
MU Fan

Wags
I know you have discussed India in the past, but any tips would be appreciated. I am going to be in Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore and Rajkot.

Stay in the nicest hotels, but don’t let your guard down. Don’t use ice or the tap water even at the places that say the water is treated-even for brushing teeth.  Stick to cooked food.  Don’t take milk in coffee unless it’s at a nice hotel.  Also get the antibiotic pill in case you slip up. It’s bound to happen.  Finally work with someone locally to plan logistics. What you can accomplish in a day is limited since it takes a long time to get around these cities. 

I love India but it takes a lot of diligence and having someone experienced in traveling there is a huge positive.   

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1853 on: September 19, 2023, 12:30:34 PM »
Stay in the nicest hotels, but don’t let your guard down. Don’t use ice or the tap water even at the places that say the water is treated-even for brushing teeth.  Stick to cooked food.  Don’t take milk in coffee unless it’s at a nice hotel.  Also get the antibiotic pill in case you slip up. It’s bound to happen.  Finally work with someone locally to plan logistics. What you can accomplish in a day is limited since it takes a long time to get around these cities. 

I love India but it takes a lot of diligence and having someone experienced in traveling there is a huge positive.

Get travel insurance that covers your med-vac

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1854 on: September 19, 2023, 12:40:34 PM »
Chicago area scoopers...

I'm going to a show at The Riviera Theatre this coming weekend. I'm not too familiar with that area of Chicago. Any recommendations for pregame spots?
"1634 Racine....you know I used to have a friend that lived there."
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1855 on: September 19, 2023, 01:33:29 PM »
You want a pub? A bar? Food? A cool 80yr old jazz bar?

Also depends on how far you're willing to walk. I'd probably do hopleaf good food, beer and general atmosphere. I was looking for a pub I'd do o'shaughneseys but that's a bit of a hike for a walk.

Green mill is iconic and right there.

There's a cool art deco apartment building near there with a neat bar in its main floor I can try to remember the name if curious. Edit: it's called Larry's

All of the above. Thank you. I'll check out Hopeleaf and then Green Mill.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1856 on: September 19, 2023, 01:43:41 PM »
I'm in Rome from 4/28-4/30.  Just went to their website, closed for enovations from November 21 to April 30, 2024.

I guess I just "saved" $800 and missed out on the meal of a lifetime.  You win some, you lose some.

Since you are only there for  a short time, you may not have time. But if you want a good beer, in Trastevere, the more interesting neighborhood, there is a place called: Ma Che Siete Venuti A Fà, aka The Football Pub. Chick can attest to the beer selection. https://www.football-pub.com/

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1857 on: September 19, 2023, 01:50:10 PM »

Since you are only there for  a short time, you may not have time. But if you want a good beer, in Trastevere, the more interesting neighborhood, there is a place called: Ma Che Siete Venuti A Fà, aka The Football Pub. Chick can attest to the beer selection. https://www.football-pub.com/

Thanks for the tip.  I was invited by Luke Donald to be part of the Team Europe entourage  at the Ryder Cup next week.  Can’t wait!
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1858 on: September 19, 2023, 02:03:01 PM »
Nice, enjoy!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1859 on: September 19, 2023, 02:15:04 PM »
Any tips for India? I am making my first trip next month and somewhat nervous. Have traveled internationally my life, but always avoided India. Work calls now and Ihave no choice. Not really looking for sightseeing info, more what to expect.

Don't eat da chicken, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1860 on: September 19, 2023, 02:58:50 PM »
Any tips for India? I am making my first trip next month and somewhat nervous. Have traveled internationally my life, but always avoided India. Work calls now and Ihave no choice. Not really looking for sightseeing info, more what to expect.

My brother used to travel there frequently. He love the place but said a) don’t drink the water and b) never trust a fart.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1861 on: September 19, 2023, 03:07:57 PM »
Don't bother packin' deodorant, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1862 on: September 19, 2023, 04:03:52 PM »
All of the above. Thank you. I'll check out Hopeleaf and then Green Mill.

Happy to help. Enjoy the show.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1863 on: September 19, 2023, 04:26:22 PM »

I'm in the Le Meriden in Delhi and some upscale Marriott in Bangalore.  The hotels will book transportation for you.
I was in the Conrad last time I was in Bangalore.  With the exchange rate they end up cheaper than a Hampton Inn in Milwaukee.

The travel clinic in New Haven sold me a pack with all the anti-diarrhea and antibiotic pill stuff.  There's malaria in India so they gave me something to have my doctor write a prescription you start taking before you go and a few days after.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1864 on: September 19, 2023, 07:47:32 PM »
MU Fan

Wags

Ahh yes, it will be quite an experience regardless! Even for someone as well traveled as yourself, India is unlike many others IMO.

As others have said, stay in an upscale Western brand hotel, as they often cater to business travel, they all have their own onsite water purification systems.  So you can at least feel at ease about water in the showers, brushing your teeth, ice at the bar/restaurant etc.  As well stuff like fresh fruits and veggies.  When I stay in a hotel I RARELY eat at a hotel restaurant. When I’m in India, it’s usually my default in the evening and certainly for breakfast.

Bottled water is easy to find and the go to everywhere.  Most business meetings I attend has the staff bringing me a cup of water as is customary before the colleagues im meeting quickly say “ no no, bottle please”

No ice outside the hotel. NO ICE NO ICE.  I’ve thankfully, touch wood, never got truly sick outside of a few hour stomach issue in India, but the only times those stomach issues occurred was due to ice.  Once at an upscale restaurant and the other at super fancy nightclub that a friend of a friend owned that my table was near 2 different groups of Bollywood stars that had the crowds in awe.  It felt like I was in Vegas or NYC so I relaxed, had a number of mixed drinks with ice…and paid the price the next day.  They still make the ice with local water

I don’t often travel with medication cause I’ve got my routine pretty down, but Cipro is my recommendation for anyone.  If you tell your doctor you are traveling to India, they should prescribe it no issue. I’ve known people that were doubled over with stomach pain, worse than they had experienced, took Cipro, and felt mostly normal within a few hours.

Hotels will handle airport transport if you ask, but while the prices for rooms are great value, the transport is usually insane. For example, the Sofitel in Mumbai I normally stay is PLUSH. Super fancy, incredible service, truly an oasis.  I usually pay no more than $150 a night and that is a club room with a private area upstairs with happy hour and whatnot.  But if you want them to book you a car to the airport? They charge like $60. It’s wild.  Uber is widespread and easy to use there and incredibly cheap.  It’s safe, usually clean, and always air conditioned.

Ive never had malaria cautions when I have visited, but if it’s something you worry about, with everything in India, better safe than sorry.

I’ve only been to Delhi, Bangalore, and Calcutta once each. But Mumbai I think I hit visit number 15 back in April. So feel free to shoot me a PM with any questions you may have there

Funny enough, I’m posting from HK.  My first time back since Feb 2019.  Feels like I never left.  But man things have gotten pricier

Goose

• All American
« Reply #1865 on: September 20, 2023, 09:34:45 AM »
Wags

Thanks for all the info. I likely will PM additonal questions. Where are you staying in HK and how crazy expensive is it? As you know, I had an office there for almost decade, but seldom venture into HK the last few years pre pandemic. It was crazy expense then.

Forgot to mention, have a great time HK. It is a special place.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 09:36:30 AM by Goose »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1866 on: September 20, 2023, 12:21:45 PM »
Wags

Thanks for all the info. I likely will PM additonal questions. Where are you staying in HK and how crazy expensive is it? As you know, I had an office there for almost decade, but seldom venture into HK the last few years pre pandemic. It was crazy expense then.

Forgot to mention, have a great time HK. It is a special place.

Real estate was and always will be crazy expensive here, I can only imagine.

We're in Causeway Bay at a fairly solid hotel for like $150 a night.  But we used to stay near Happy Valley and the 2 hotels we rotated between are anywhere from $75-100 more expensive than back in 2019.  And it seems like all of a sudden anything nicer is minimum $250 a night and escalating quickly.  For a city that used to have tons of hidden gems in terms of hotel value.  If I was just here for a few days its one thing, but when we have a team of 6 for a week long show, it escalates quickly.  Especially since the value of the show post-COVID is unknown at this point.  However, first day was excellent, seems a lot of enthusiasm for things to be coming back.

We found 2 of our favorite restaurants, one near Wan Chai and another in Central are no longer around, which is sad, as they were places my Father had been going to for close to 10 years, even before I started coming.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #1867 on: September 20, 2023, 01:50:49 PM »
Wags

Best of luck at the show. I am guessing Jewelry Show? You are right on the cost of show, especially in HK, and you have to watch every penny.

When I was HK in 2019 with my son there were several places that I frequented many times over the years that were no longer open. I can only imagine post covid.

MU1in77

• Walk-On
« Reply #1868 on: September 22, 2023, 05:29:21 PM »
Just back from an 18 day trip with my bride that took us from Rome to Munich.  One of the best meals we had was at a small trattoria just up the alley from our Airbnb near the Trevi Fountain. I had ravioli in an orange sauce (€13) and my wife had what might have been the best mussels she’s ever had. The only reason we ate there was we were tired and it was close to where we were staying.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #1869 on: September 26, 2023, 11:10:54 AM »
Just back from an 18 day trip with my bride that took us from Rome to Munich.  One of the best meals we had was at a small trattoria just up the alley from our Airbnb near the Trevi Fountain. I had ravioli in an orange sauce (€13) and my wife had what might have been the best mussels she’s ever had. The only reason we ate there was we were tired and it was close to where we were staying.

Remember the name of the spot?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1870 on: September 26, 2023, 11:58:07 AM »
Happy to help. Enjoy the show.

Ended up at Hopleaf and Fat Cat, enjoyed both of them. Thanks for the suggestions!

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1871 on: September 26, 2023, 12:15:03 PM »
The Bend, OR recs were amazing, thanks y'all.

Let's do the same for Austin, TX.  Wish I was going longer, but BBQ, bars, texmex, breakfast tacos recs will be welcomed.  (Staying in East Austin)

MU1in77

• Walk-On
« Reply #1872 on: September 26, 2023, 01:58:15 PM »
Lens - the name of the trattoria is Piccolo Arancio.  Also, there is a pizza place, Piccolo Buco, where we saw people lining up in our alley to get into sometimes for over an hour.  With all the pizza places in Rome we figured we had to try it to see if it was worth the wait. It was, although we got there early and only waited around 20 minutes.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #1873 on: September 26, 2023, 02:34:01 PM »

Let's do the same for Austin, TX.  Wish I was going longer, but BBQ, bars, texmex, breakfast tacos recs will be welcomed.  (Staying in East Austin)

I usually go to Austin for music and eat my way through the food trucks. Great town.

Music:

Elephant Room
Continental Club
Antone’s
Saxon Pub (Monday Bob Schneider)
Stubbs (Outside show)
New World Theater (incredible sound)

Food (no idea if any are still open)

Uchi
Uchiko
Wink
South Congress Cafe
Perla’s
Gourdough’s (late night donuts)

La Barbecue
The Salt Lick
Never had Franklin’s

Of course hit up 6th St., Rainey St, and 12th St. Asked someone about East Austin, check out Justine’s and Launderette.

I haven’t been in several years, so I’m guessing the food scene has gotten even better. Looking forward to adding to my notes with all the suggestions. Have fun!

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1874 on: September 26, 2023, 02:40:28 PM »

I assume by East Austin, you mean east of i-35. There are a ton of places on 6th and 7th streets there. Music and funky bars. Wander til you see one that strikes your interest.  Hotel Vegas seems interesting, but have not been. Food trucks around there are also worth trying.
This is not to be confused with the touristy 6th street area, aka the dirty 6th.
As much of a fan of Oregon beers as I am, I am not a huge fan of Austin beers. That being said, there are a few breweries in East Austin that I haven't tried. Lazurus and Zilker are right there.
I think Franklin's BBQ is not worth the wait. There I said it, fight me. Iron Works is good, so is Stubbs and Salt Lick.
Central Austin - Sholz Garden is the oldest bar in Texas (1866) and good German food.  The Driskill Bar in the Driskill Hotel for ambiance.  Roaring Fork is good food in the Royal Sonesta hotel. Happy hour food - KETTLE OF GREEN CHILI PORK STEW is to die for. QUESO CON PUERCO and SKILLET CORNBREAD round out a tasty appetizer trio.

5+ years ago, I would have said Rainey Stree is a must go to, but now with all the development, much of its quaint ambiance is gone. Sure, there are some interesting bars still, Bangers Biergarten has a great beer selection and god awful food. The other houses converted to bars seem to change hands and get "enhanced" so often. Not a big fan anymore.

If you are into hidden craft bars, Garage, located in a parking...garage is pretty cool little place. https://garagetx.com/

If you go to the more grown up side of 6th street, west of San Antonio st, I like Little Woodrow's for a causal beer. Nearby Devil May Care is a good upscale dining and drink experience.  Dogwood West is a good place for a drink as well.

I am sure I am missing a ton.