collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 209670 times)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #1825 on: August 16, 2023, 03:43:40 PM »
I'm that old is all.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #1826 on: August 16, 2023, 05:14:26 PM »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1827 on: August 16, 2023, 06:11:03 PM »
Longshot, any Bend, OR recs?

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1828 on: August 17, 2023, 08:42:27 AM »
One word. Breweries.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #1829 on: August 17, 2023, 11:15:43 AM »
One word. Breweries.

Go to the Bend Ale Trail website.  They've got info and locations for all the area's breweries, wineries, distilleries, etc.  Plus some goodies from the visitor center if you record visits to all the breweries in their various "regions".  My personal favorite is Boneyard.  Make sure you do the Lake Place taproom rather than the Division Street pub if you want the original "bone yard" charm of an old auto shop.  Only other brewery recommendation I'd make is to skip Deschutes.  They may be the Godfather of the Bend beer scene, but you can get their beer in the Midwest and their tour/tasting room are pretty sterile.  (The downtown public house has never had particularly good food, either.)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1830 on: August 17, 2023, 12:09:21 PM »

We went in the summer of 2019 and really enjoyed ourselves. Had 7 people and stayed in a great airbnb.

For breweries, we liked Crux and Monkless best.

Monkless has outstanding Belgians, good brewery food and nice views. Crux has an awesome beergarden with great views and darn good brews.

I remember liking Sunriver, too.

We spent most of one day in downtown Bend going to several bars and shops and restaurants. Ate, drank and played pool, darts, table shuffleboard, etc. A few places were crowded but most were real chill.

We also liked floating down the Deschutes, but since you're just asking now I'm guessing your trip might be after it's a little too chilly to do that?

My wife and daughter and I were just talking about our trip; we all agreed we'd go back to Bend in a heartbeat!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1831 on: August 21, 2023, 07:13:53 PM »
If your stuck in ATL, Cat Cora by gate A25 has quality food. 

Also saw some older gals in the airport wearing MU gear and called out Go Warriors and they got a kick out of that
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1832 on: August 21, 2023, 09:40:07 PM »
If your stuck in ATL, Cat Cora by gate A25 has quality food. 

Also saw some older gals in the airport wearing MU gear and called out Go Warriors and they got a kick out of that

Good to know. I like the Japanese place on C, Umaizushi. ATL has solid choices, including the fine dining place in E, One Flew South.

I’ve spent waaaaay too much time in that airport. We have a saying in Florida, even when you die and go to heaven, you have to connect in ATL.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #1833 on: August 28, 2023, 08:49:08 PM »
Would any of the world travelers in the group be able to share any information about Dakar?  Probably no MU alumni club there...
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1834 on: August 28, 2023, 09:07:09 PM »
Would any of the world travelers in the group be able to share any information about Dakar?  Probably no MU alumni club there...

I don't know but are there any good Senegalese ballers on our radar?

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1835 on: August 30, 2023, 11:08:09 AM »
Horrible 80s cologne for trendy boys.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1836 on: August 30, 2023, 11:12:33 AM »
Cason.

Email ousman barro, hey.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1837 on: August 30, 2023, 11:47:48 AM »

Sadio Mane once responded to a congratulatory DM I drunkenly sent on IG like 5/6 years ago.  I'll hit him up for some recs  ;D

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1838 on: August 30, 2023, 12:58:35 PM »
But how are you going to do "people watching" at those fun, funky joints that you prefer? Or, more to the point, how are you going be watched yourself and impress people that you're willing to blow $1000 on dinner.

The closest thing I ever had to a $1,000 dinner was actually in Nuits Sainte George, outside Dijon, Burgundy. Ms. Dgies and I were driving back from the vineyards and wineries when we decided to have dinner in the town. We saw a quaint little restaurant and thought, why not?

It was 1994, mind you, and we walked in, ugly Americans that we were, at 7:00 p.m., and not speaking French. We ended up being served by the owner and had the most incredible dinner we've ever had. The lobster appetizer my wife had was lobster meat and sauce drawn on the plate in the shape of a lobster. The lamb was to die for and everything was just perfect. We ended up having two bottles of wine and a totally complete dinner. Total bill, with gratuity -- $675.00 US.

It was funny in that we were shocked at the bill but thought, what the hell, this aint something we'll do again for a long, long time. The fact that 30 years later I'm still talking about it as one of the best dining experiences ever made it really worth it!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #1839 on: August 30, 2023, 01:42:05 PM »
dgies

Sounds like it was worth the money and that is what it is all about. Not the most expensive meal I have ever had, but last month a friend and I ate a steakhouse in Chicago and the stiff was over $600 for the two of us. That was not worth the money.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1840 on: August 30, 2023, 04:33:31 PM »
dgies

Sounds like it was worth the money and that is what it is all about. Not the most expensive meal I have ever had, but last month a friend and I ate a steakhouse in Chicago and the stiff was over $600 for the two of us. That was not worth the money.

For $600.00, they better have served you a Kobe Beef tomahawk steak, in the Waygu Tradition. That beef better have smelled of beer before it went on the grill!

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1841 on: September 18, 2023, 03:16:54 PM »
Chicago area scoopers...

I'm going to a show at The Riviera Theatre this coming weekend. I'm not too familiar with that area of Chicago. Any recommendations for pregame spots?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1842 on: September 18, 2023, 05:45:56 PM »
Chicago area scoopers...

I'm going to a show at The Riviera Theatre this coming weekend. I'm not too familiar with that area of Chicago. Any recommendations for pregame spots?

You want a pub? A bar? Food? A cool 80yr old jazz bar?

Also depends on how far you're willing to walk. I'd probably do hopleaf good food, beer and general atmosphere. I was looking for a pub I'd do o'shaughneseys but that's a bit of a hike for a walk.

Green mill is iconic and right there.

There's a cool art deco apartment building near there with a neat bar in its main floor I can try to remember the name if curious. Edit: it's called Larry's
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 05:56:02 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1843 on: September 18, 2023, 08:23:56 PM »
I was in France last week moving the daughter and the Rugby World Cup is going on. Games we're on TV every night.  Friday I made it to Paris and the Fan Zone was crowded and loud.  No USA team or ghosts of Chris Farley spotted.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #1844 on: September 18, 2023, 09:35:09 PM »
The closest thing I ever had to a $1,000 dinner was actually in Nuits Sainte George, outside Dijon, Burgundy. Ms. Dgies and I were driving back from the vineyards and wineries when we decided to have dinner in the town. We saw a quaint little restaurant and thought, why not?

It was 1994, mind you, and we walked in, ugly Americans that we were, at 7:00 p.m., and not speaking French. We ended up being served by the owner and had the most incredible dinner we've ever had. The lobster appetizer my wife had was lobster meat and sauce drawn on the plate in the shape of a lobster. The lamb was to die for and everything was just perfect. We ended up having two bottles of wine and a totally complete dinner. Total bill, with gratuity -- $675.00 US.

It was funny in that we were shocked at the bill but thought, what the hell, this aint something we'll do again for a long, long time. The fact that 30 years later I'm still talking about it as one of the best dining experiences ever made it really worth it!

Called 3 months ahead for reservations at La Pergula in Rome. We were seated and handed a water menu to select from. A bread cart was wheeled up to pick from a couple dozen loafs and rolls. The sommelier picked the wine a Tuscan white to compliment the 6 courses and a muscat for dessert. After dessert a small multi-drawered cabinet was placed on the table with a truffle in each compartment. The tab was @$800 but the experience and the view of Rome was worth a one time shot. As we left the chef presented each with a personalized menu of what we ate and drank. You only go round once

Goose

• All American
« Reply #1845 on: September 19, 2023, 08:27:47 AM »
Any tips for India? I am making my first trip next month and somewhat nervous. Have traveled internationally my life, but always avoided India. Work calls now and Ihave no choice. Not really looking for sightseeing info, more what to expect. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #1846 on: September 19, 2023, 08:59:51 AM »
Called 3 months ahead for reservations at La Pergula in Rome. We were seated and handed a water menu to select from. A bread cart was wheeled up to pick from a couple dozen loafs and rolls. The sommelier picked the wine a Tuscan white to compliment the 6 courses and a muscat for dessert. After dessert a small multi-drawered cabinet was placed on the table with a truffle in each compartment. The tab was @$800 but the experience and the view of Rome was worth a one time shot. As we left the chef presented each with a personalized menu of what we ate and drank. You only go round once

I'm in Rome from 4/28-4/30.  Just went to their website, closed for enovations from November 21 to April 30, 2024.

I guess I just "saved" $800 and missed out on the meal of a lifetime.  You win some, you lose some.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1847 on: September 19, 2023, 09:16:09 AM »
I'm in Rome from 4/28-4/30.  Just went to their website, closed for enovations from November 21 to April 30, 2024.

I guess I just "saved" $800 and missed out on the meal of a lifetime.  You win some, you lose some.
Checked their menu, https://cdn.qr-code-generator.com/account9042567/8292105_73.pdf?Expires=1695219126&Signature=Ja2U1XcUF3I2VyJs1OUNAPxykzVDNqrBso5ucfJZzoB9aQ0z~-xZM5ZcM1nm1c6hfH8jsjkvktb030m2FkG9mqvGAL0FOr0ujqXHEuxnsL5B3PPHNzd95NvpbeAvRwd4vDTrT-RGig0s4n~QBL-b2q7OS7rHsEarBmR-u~j5o1W~7mB-CAo~9D1Mx0pPlKpwyDkVVckjLHLMdef6Rz6ZKfljizsIf2WdYTnei61zgp3xH2Zy9leNZXza6khvsKcYtoxWbtVeAziuCIlNP-8onIeOxvUdgOZg6p4u4MMGYW6Iyor8Pnv9elukJyn6vJn73o0QdhtLueVv328fxpU-LQ__&Key-Pair-Id=KKMPOJU8AYATR

some things souns amazing. This does not:

Humus, humble, human
€ 59,00

Definitiion of humus:
humus is the dark organic matter in soil that is formed by the decomposition of plant and animal matter.

Other appetizers list their ingredients. I hope this isn't the case

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #1848 on: September 19, 2023, 09:16:44 AM »
Sorry to hear that.  More money for pizza. Aina?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1849 on: September 19, 2023, 10:48:29 AM »
Any tips for India? I am making my first trip next month and somewhat nervous. Have traveled internationally my life, but always avoided India. Work calls now and Ihave no choice. Not really looking for sightseeing info, more what to expect.

Goose
I'm making my second trip there.  I'm going November 5 through 9.  Bangalore & Delhi  I'm headed there after seeing customers in Singapore and Malaysia the week before.

I can tell you Uber is great in India.  I'm off to Boston for a trade show but can share more in an IM.

I think JWags has indicated he's spent a lot of time in India?