collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 209600 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #1675 on: January 10, 2023, 10:01:45 AM »
Our HR/Travel Policy explicitly permits expensing WiFi when traveling on business.

It also allows leaders to fly first class wherever they go and it allows staff to fly first class if the trip is three hours or more.

I don't see what the big deal is. It's $8.00 domestically and $20.00 internationally. Because of it, I can monitor emails, review projects and offer advice while in a plane. It allows our firm to be more productive.

Delta's new free for all plan does bother me. They pass on data to authorized providers and we the user have no control over what happens once the data is passed on. Of course, you can opt out and pay for wifi or not use it, but dadgummit, those trips get long without it.

https://crankyflier.com/2023/01/10/delta-sync-turns-free-wifi-into-a-marketing-machine/

I've been traveling for 40 years and onboard wifi sure does make a difference.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 10:04:42 AM by dgies9156 »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1676 on: January 10, 2023, 06:55:36 PM »
On Executive Jet, da flight is free and mandatory WI-FI is $8k ta Des Moines, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1677 on: January 11, 2023, 06:08:48 AM »
Hopefully Scoopers are not traveling this morning.  Good freaking grief. 

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1678 on: January 11, 2023, 07:02:08 AM »
Naturally, I’m flying today. Airport is packed

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1679 on: January 11, 2023, 07:33:59 AM »

Be safe.  The FAA knew about this at apparently 3pm Eatern yesterday.  What a complete and utter meltdown. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1680 on: January 11, 2023, 11:01:49 AM »
Appreciate all the responses about WiFi, sort of tracks with what I thought.  I certainly get the "unplugged" aspect, but being able to keep up to date with my wife/friends, breaking news, travel delays/changes, etc... is totally worth it for me.

As for this big FAA SNAFU, Royal Mail is reporting issues and disruptions with their international delivery, so this may be a bigger cyber attack issue.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1681 on: January 11, 2023, 11:21:03 AM »
I assume hackers.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1682 on: January 11, 2023, 10:29:42 PM »
Eh, was supposed to be on a flight during the Marquette game tonight. Extra meal in New Orleans and got to watch Marquette kick UConn’s butt!

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1683 on: January 23, 2023, 04:31:27 PM »
Any Tampa recommendations? I’ll be there for three nights in February.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1684 on: January 23, 2023, 05:21:03 PM »
Any Tampa recommendations? I’ll be there for three nights in February.
Where are you staying? 

For restaurants:
- Bern’s (ask your waiter for tour of wine cellar) for the experience. Get dessert so you can experience the dessert part of the restaurant which is separate from main dining room. Try to get someone else to pay.
- Ulele
- Columbia (Cuban)

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1685 on: January 23, 2023, 05:41:12 PM »
Where are you staying? 

For restaurants:
- Bern’s (ask your waiter for tour of wine cellar) for the experience. Get dessert so you can experience the dessert part of the restaurant which is separate from main dining room. Try to get someone else to pay.
- Ulele
- Columbia (Cuban)

I’ll be at the Hilton downtown.

Thank you for the suggestions! Columbia restaurant on 7th?

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1686 on: January 23, 2023, 05:54:07 PM »
That’s the one.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1687 on: January 23, 2023, 06:11:12 PM »
Where are you staying? 

For restaurants:
- Ulele
- Columbia (Cuban)
Columbia restaurant is Spanish, with some Cuban. Still worth going. Bern's definitely. One day I would head over to Clearwater Beach and eat at Frenchy's, grouper sandwich and she-crab soup.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 06:18:25 PM by lawdog77 »

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1688 on: January 23, 2023, 06:36:32 PM »
Columbia restaurant is Spanish, with some Cuban. Still worth going. Bern's definitely. One day I would head over to Clearwater Beach and eat at Frenchy's, grouper sandwich and she-crab soup.
Lol. I’ve never actually been. It’s is my chief client’s favorite restaurant in Tampa and he’s a restaurant snob who lived there for several years so I am going purely on his recommendation.

I have been to both Bern’s and Ulele with him and can vouch for those from personal experience.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1689 on: January 23, 2023, 06:47:55 PM »
I’m a huge fan of Spanish and Cuban food, so either way we’ll check it out.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1690 on: January 24, 2023, 12:14:29 PM »
I’m a huge fan of Spanish and Cuban food, so either way we’ll check it out.

It is the only restaurant I know of that has significantly expanded, yet kept its quality. Definitely not to be missed. Since you are staying at the Hilton, you could take the trolley car there, well at least close and walk down the strip at Ybor City. Carmine's in Ybor is a solid lunch choice for Cuban.

Downtown, Hattricks is a good lunch choice or stop for a beer. Scenery is nice. https://hattrickstavern.com/
The new Sparkman's Wharf, replacing the old Channelside, outdoor waterside venue has a nice outdoor beer garden and shipping container places to eat. https://sparkmanwharf.com/ Also accessible by that same trolley.  Parks & Rec across the street is one of those multi purpose bars with games.

Downtown St Pete is very walkable, a ton of restaurants, bars and microbreweries.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1691 on: January 24, 2023, 12:42:26 PM »
St. Pete is awesome. My cousin and his wife moved there a few years ago, and they live within an easy walk of downtown. We've been to visit a few times and have really enjoyed the food/beverage scene there. I didn't expect it to be that vibrant.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1692 on: January 25, 2023, 08:34:08 AM »

La Segunda Central Bakery on 15th.

Columbia on 7th is good too.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1693 on: January 25, 2023, 09:24:55 AM »

Also keep in mind that its roughly 20 miles not including traffic to Clearwater Beach, Downtown St. Petersburg, and St. Pete Beach. Several locations are these short side trips from Tampa, that take a little longer than you may think. All are worth seeing and each area has its own vibe.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1694 on: January 25, 2023, 11:49:58 AM »
La Segunda Central Bakery on 15th.

Columbia on 7th is good too.

La Segunda looks worth checking out too.

For those who are local or have visited, are there any specific areas/neighborhoods that you'd recommend? Ybor and Downtown Tampa are on the list. We're probably able to get to one more area.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1695 on: January 25, 2023, 12:14:04 PM »
La Segunda looks worth checking out too.

For those who are local or have visited, are there any specific areas/neighborhoods that you'd recommend? Ybor and Downtown Tampa are on the list. We're probably able to get to one more area.

Downtown St Pete is actually quite cool and very walkable.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1696 on: January 25, 2023, 12:21:03 PM »
Downtown St Pete is actually quite cool and very walkable.
This would be my vote.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1697 on: January 25, 2023, 01:59:43 PM »
It's looking like we're heading to the Northeast in late May for a family vacation with our adult kids. We're beginning to make more specific plans including Acadia National Park in Maine and exploring a bit up in that direction; a day or two in Boston; and some time in Cape Cod (fishing and whale watching). We have some family near Exeter, so at least one or two nights will be spent there as a home base but we're also planning on staying up near Acadia for at least one night and down near Cape Cod for at least one night.

If anyone has recommendations in those general areas, I'd be happy to listen.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #1698 on: January 25, 2023, 03:29:03 PM »
It's looking like we're heading to the Northeast in late May for a family vacation with our adult kids. We're beginning to make more specific plans including Acadia National Park in Maine and exploring a bit up in that direction; a day or two in Boston; and some time in Cape Cod (fishing and whale watching). We have some family near Exeter, so at least one or two nights will be spent there as a home base but we're also planning on staying up near Acadia for at least one night and down near Cape Cod for at least one night.

If you can afford it (about $400/night) Salt Cottages is about a mile from Acadia Park's Hull Visitors Center and 3 miles from downtown Bar Harbor.  Old school resort.
Ludum habemus.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1699 on: January 25, 2023, 04:24:11 PM »

Bar Harbor is neat unless there is a cruise ship around.  Portland is a great city with some good restaurants and breweries.  If you're driving up 1 from Boston and you don't stop at Red's Eats in Wiscasset and get a Lobster roll you will live to regret it.  Also, before arriving in Bar Harbor, stop in Brewing, ME at  Mason's Brewing Company.  Choice.

I love Burlington, VT, but that's kind of out of the way for your plans.  Also, Newport, RI is pretty awesome too... but a little out of the way as well.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 04:37:34 PM by Hards Alumni »

feedback