collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 209645 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #1125 on: October 12, 2021, 12:52:19 PM »
Yeah send them my way!

Does Aer Lingus still fly from Atlanta to Shannon?  :)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1126 on: October 12, 2021, 12:56:25 PM »
Does Aer Lingus still fly from Atlanta to Shannon?  :)

Looks like it. I'm bumping my December trip up to next week and staying through the new year.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1127 on: October 12, 2021, 12:57:13 PM »

You do realize that Southwest is the largest US Domestic airline.  Yes, others are bigger globally, but when it come to shuttling people around this tiny little country of ours, there is none bigger.

There was a time when Pan Am and TWA were even more dominant than SWA is today. SWA might ultimately survive this, but it is far from a given....

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1128 on: October 12, 2021, 01:09:39 PM »
Looks like it. I'm bumping my December trip up to next week and staying through the new year.

Do you have a property in Ireland?  It's something I've considered down the road. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1129 on: October 12, 2021, 01:13:51 PM »

There was a time when Pan Am and TWA were even more dominant than SWA is today. SWA might ultimately survive this, but it is far from a given....

Well, I don't think there's a chance Southwest doesn't "survive" this.  But that wasn't my point, I just laugh when someone thinks Southwest is too small to compete with the "big" carriers. Only American and Delta, if you're counting passengers are bigger, United basically the same size.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 01:46:42 PM by rocky_warrior »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1130 on: October 12, 2021, 01:45:29 PM »
Do you have a property in Ireland?  It's something I've considered down the road.

Nope, my mom and her siblings technically share a farm but I don't think that'll be inherited down my way given only one runs it.

Housing costs are insane there currently and are half the reason I moved back. If youre looking for property expect to be in the middle of nowhere (certainly nowhere near a Dublin, Cork or Galway) and that's the reason I likely won't be getting a condo there.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1131 on: October 12, 2021, 01:55:13 PM »
Well, I don't think there's a chance Southwest doesn't "survive" this.  But that wasn't my point, I just laugh when someone thinks Southwest is too small to compete with the "big" carriers. Only American and Delta, if you're counting passengers are bigger, United basically the same size.

The government will 100% bail out the remaining major US airlines if there is a hint of them going under.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #1132 on: October 12, 2021, 03:36:34 PM »
Excuse the obvious political slant to this article, but .. I'm sure it has more than a kernel of truth:

https://amgreatness.com/2021/10/11/a-southwest-pilot-explains-what-happened-over-the-weekend/

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1133 on: October 12, 2021, 03:45:46 PM »
Excuse the obvious political slant to this article, but .. I'm sure it has more than a kernel of truth:

https://amgreatness.com/2021/10/11/a-southwest-pilot-explains-what-happened-over-the-weekend/

Reported for politics.

(I kid)
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1134 on: October 12, 2021, 03:50:24 PM »
The guy who wasn't going to stay home to help potty train his two year old until there was a vaccine mandate with a tremendous self-own.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1135 on: October 12, 2021, 04:10:04 PM »

Except it's not a mandate to get vaccinated. You can opt for testing instead.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1136 on: October 12, 2021, 04:30:20 PM »
Nope, my mom and her siblings technically share a farm but I don't think that'll be inherited down my way given only one runs it.

Housing costs are insane there currently and are half the reason I moved back. If youre looking for property expect to be in the middle of nowhere (certainly nowhere near a Dublin, Cork or Galway) and that's the reason I likely won't be getting a condo there.

Ya.....I've heard it's crazy expensive.  You have dual citizenship, correct?

romey

• All American
« Reply #1137 on: October 12, 2021, 05:14:26 PM »
About six weeks ago I was considering a flight to ATL to visit grandkids as they were on "fall break" this past weekend.  At the time FB was touting SWA $59 fares.  I've flown MKE to ATL many, many times due to free checked bag and low cost.  But the comments on FB were overwhelmingly negative about cancellations and flight changes.  Last November I flew that same rout on SWA and had to go through Orlando to get to ATL in both directions.  But again, that was last November and I dealt with it.  This time I checked out Delta, since ATL is their hub, and booked with them.

No proof of vaccine or negative test required.  Masks required at the airports and on both flights.  Flew our last Wed evening and flew back last night.  No delays.

One thing I found to be strange was that in ATL last night TSA asked for my DL, but didn't even check my boarding pass to get through security.  I can't recall tha last time that happened - probably pre-911.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1138 on: October 12, 2021, 05:38:50 PM »
One thing I found to be strange was that in ATL last night TSA asked for my DL, but didn't even check my boarding pass to get through security.  I can't recall tha last time that happened - probably pre-911.

It's their new system, the can verify your itinerary via your ID - the airlines already give all that info to them.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/credential-authentication-technology
CAT is linked electronically to the Secure Flight database, which confirms travelers’ flight details, ensuring they are ticketed for travel that day. CAT also displays the pre-screening status (such as TSA PreCheck®) the traveler is eligible for, all without a boarding pass. However, CAT does not eliminate the requirement for passengers to check-in with their airline. Passengers still need their boarding pass to show the airline representative at their gate before boarding their flight.

About 80% of my TSA precheck flights in the past year have just been an ID scan.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1139 on: October 12, 2021, 05:40:10 PM »
OK, a couple of thoughts:

1) The Wall Street Journal had a great explanation of SWA's problems. Essentially, it ramped up fast and had the planes, staffing and support to work if everything worked perfectly. But when God's wrath came down, SWA had crews that went "illegal," planes parked at the wrong airports and staff that somehow didn't show up. In better times with normal operation, things would have worked. Add to this that the airlines are loathe to put their passengers on another airline and that most airplanes for the past decade have been nearly full and SWA has a problem.

2) I know there are a lot of SWA fans on this board, but comparing SWA to United is comparing a cowchip to a diamond. While I know United is painful in basic economy, I also know that as a regular on United, I get cared for. Same for elite frequent fliers on American and Delta. Plus, the hub and spoke system the airlines operate (except for SWA) allows for more options to get someone to their destination. It may take long and that middle seat in Row 30 may not be much different than the Middle in Row 30 on SWA, but the difference in operation makes the first possible over the second.

3) If you want better service, then pay for it. We complain because SWA or whatever airline doesn't deliver, but we go on buying the $59 coast-to-coast fares. To be profitable with $59 fares, there's no leg room, no food, no any kinda service and your planes have to have a load factor of 95 percent. So guess what happens when weather intervenes or any airline has a computer malfunction or, heck whatever? Crap happens. Adjusted for inflation, airfares are a third to a half of what they were in 1978, the last year before deregulation. The comfort our parents and grandparents had is reserved for first and business class. But even that is comparatively cheap. Keep that in mind when you book on El Cheapo Global Airlines with its vintage 1989 MD-80s or leased 767-200s with more cycles than good sense.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1140 on: October 12, 2021, 05:44:22 PM »
No proof of vaccine or negative test required.

Nobody is doing that - except international and Hawaii.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1141 on: October 12, 2021, 10:55:12 PM »
Ya.....I've heard it's crazy expensive.  You have dual citizenship, correct?

Yessir
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1142 on: October 13, 2021, 03:47:27 PM »

1) The Wall Street Journal had a great explanation of SWA's problems. Essentially, it ramped up fast and had the planes, staffing and support to work if everything worked perfectly. But when God's wrath came down, SWA had crews that went "illegal," planes parked at the wrong airports and staff that somehow didn't show up. In better times with normal operation, things would have worked. Add to this that the airlines are loathe to put their passengers on another airline and that most airplanes for the past decade have been nearly full and SWA has a problem.

2) I know there are a lot of SWA fans on this board, but comparing SWA to United is comparing a cowchip to a diamond. While I know United is painful in basic economy, I also know that as a regular on United, I get cared for. Same for elite frequent fliers on American and Delta. Plus, the hub and spoke system the airlines operate (except for SWA) allows for more options to get someone to their destination. It may take long and that middle seat in Row 30 may not be much different than the Middle in Row 30 on SWA, but the difference in operation makes the first possible over the second.

3) If you want better service, then pay for it. We complain because SWA or whatever airline doesn't deliver, but we go on buying the $59 coast-to-coast fares. To be profitable with $59 fares, there's no leg room, no food, no any kinda service and your planes have to have a load factor of 95 percent. So guess what happens when weather intervenes or any airline has a computer malfunction or, heck whatever? Crap happens. Adjusted for inflation, airfares are a third to a half of what they were in 1978, the last year before deregulation. The comfort our parents and grandparents had is reserved for first and business class. But even that is comparatively cheap. Keep that in mind when you book on El Cheapo Global Airlines with its vintage 1989 MD-80s or leased 767-200s with more cycles than good sense.

I have been on hundreds of SWA flights in my lifetime, and other than two times my flight was cancelled for reasons other than weather (which were quickly rectified in both cases), I cannot think of any unpleasant experiences I have had with the airline.  By my estimation, I have saved at least $10,000 over the best deals I could have gotten from legacy airlines, not even counting how the legacies nickel and dime you to death for things like checked bags or seat selection.

I have never flown often enough to qualify for some of the perks that some legacy carriers offer their best customers.  But to be fair, the legacies have to have fancy airport lounges because their flights are delayed so much.  There has been more than one instance where I flew back from a business trip in which I flew SWA and my co-workers flew legacy, and even though our flights were scheduled to leave at the same time, I was home before their delayed flights had even left the airport.  They stopped giving me grief about my airline choices.

With all due respect, Brother DG, if you want to crap all over a low-cost airline, do it to Spirit.  I would literally rather walk to my destination then fly with them again.
Have some patience, FFS.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1143 on: October 13, 2021, 04:08:54 PM »
But to be fair, the legacies have to have fancy airport lounges because their flights are delayed so much.  There has been more than one instance where I flew back from a business trip in which I flew SWA and my co-workers flew legacy, and even though our flights were scheduled to leave at the same time, I was home before their delayed flights had even left the airport.  They stopped giving me grief about my airline choices.

With all due respect, Brother DG, if you want to crap all over a low-cost airline, do it to Spirit.  I would literally rather walk to my destination then fly with them again.

This is commonly relayed by friends of mine who like SWA, but its based in no actual truth.  Southwest, for the last 5-10 years, has varied between 75-80% on time rates.  Most of the "legacy carriers" are all in the mid-high 70s, sometimes higher, sometimes a bit lower.  Unless you are flying Alaskan or Hawaiian Airlines, there is no real statistical difference in US carriers to crow about.  Certainly not remarkable on time percentage to rub in others faces.  Funny enough, Spirit's on time rates are actually pretty good and comparable to SWA/Delta.  But then again I imagine most Greyhound buses depart on time as well.

Southwest is a fantastic airline for infrequent fliers.  But as bad as some travel experiences I have had are, the last thing I want to do after a business trip or the end of a vacation is not know where I'm going to be sitting until I board the plane.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1144 on: October 13, 2021, 04:19:10 PM »
This is commonly relayed by friends of mine who like SWA, but its based in no actual truth.  Southwest, for the last 5-10 years, has varied between 75-80% on time rates.  Most of the "legacy carriers" are all in the mid-high 70s, sometimes higher, sometimes a bit lower.  Unless you are flying Alaskan or Hawaiian Airlines, there is no real statistical difference in US carriers to crow about.  Certainly not remarkable on time percentage to rub in others faces.  Funny enough, Spirit's on time rates are actually pretty good and comparable to SWA/Delta.  But then again I imagine most Greyhound buses depart on time as well.

Southwest is a fantastic airline for infrequent fliers.  But as bad as some travel experiences I have had are, the last thing I want to do after a business trip or the end of a vacation is not know where I'm going to be sitting until I board the plane.

My on-time experience is SWA at Midway vs. Everyone Else at O'Hare, where DGies flies out of. 

And I am not sure what the big deal is about knowing exactly where your seat is going to be.  As long as you are in A or B boarding group, you can be in either the aisle or window - whichever you prefer.  For free.
Have some patience, FFS.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1145 on: October 13, 2021, 05:15:00 PM »
My on-time experience is SWA at Midway vs. Everyone Else at O'Hare, where DGies flies out of. 

So totally empirical and likely rooted in confirmation bias.  Got it!

And for added fun, ORD and MDW have basically been near identical in terms of delays/on time arrival there, despite what people like to commonly say.

But kudos on your travel related luck.  I had a near flawless 2017 and 2018, no delays more than maybe 30-45 min, good weather, no bag issues...then 2019 all hell broke loose.  Thats the "fun" of a sample set of even 50-60 flights a year for a frequent business traveler versus the thousands of flights a day for most carriers.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1146 on: October 14, 2021, 08:11:59 AM »

And I am not sure what the big deal is about knowing exactly where your seat is going to be.  As long as you are in A or B boarding group, you can be in either the aisle or window - whichever you prefer.  For free.

I have stays on Delta. But lately I’ve been flying SWA when it’s my dime, especially when the entire fam flies. We are headed to the Charleston Classic. Tickets on SWA for fam of 4, $464, bump that to $544 if we want early boarding. Same trip on Delta? $1424. That difference is paying for a very nice AirBnB in the historic district.

Flown Spirit once to St Thomas for the Paradise tournament, because it was literally the last seat available to St Thomas those dates. Should have swum.  ;D ;D
Customer service was god awful.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1147 on: October 14, 2021, 10:39:33 AM »
[quote author=warriorchick link=topic=56125.msg1376492#msg1376492 date=1634158047
[/quote]

The problem with crapping all over Spirit is it's like fishing in a barrel. Sister Chick, it's too easy. I'd rather flap my arms to fly then get on a Spirit airplane. You will never see this human being on a Spirit flight unless I'm a corpse in the cargo hold being brought back to Chicago for burial.

Even then, my estate instructs my funeral director to put my body on United (preferably in the front of the airplane).

Southwest runs a more complex schedule caused by the fact they are not a hub and spoke system. I think this week is an aberration but we shall see.

You are right in that for me, Midway is not a real option. I'm closer to Milwaukee than I am to Midway. United has treated me well over the years (bending over backward to help us get our adopted children back to America way back when) and their loyalty has been well earned.

For the record, the United Clubs we frequent fliers use have become crapholes in too many places. The "C" Concourse Club at O'Hare is an embarrassment to United. Ditto for everything in Newark, Washington-Dulles and the Club on the 60s concourse in San Francisco. The LAX club is worth the price of admission and Houston (Intercontinental) is very nice. I know most of the folks in MCO and have come to like them an awful lot.

What bothers me the most about United -- and I suspect they are not alone -- is they are using Covid-19 as an excuse to cut costs and provide crappy service.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1148 on: October 14, 2021, 10:58:02 AM »
[quote author=warriorchick link=topic=56125.msg1376492#msg1376492 date=1634158047
For the record, the United Clubs we frequent fliers use have become crapholes in too many places. The "C" Concourse Club at O'Hare is an embarrassment to United. Ditto for everything in Newark, Washington-Dulles and the Club on the 60s concourse in San Francisco. The LAX club is worth the price of admission and Houston (Intercontinental) is very nice. I know most of the folks in MCO and have come to like them an awful lot.

Been awhile since passing through SFO, hey?  Those gate numbers no longer exist. That Club is still crappy, though.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1149 on: October 14, 2021, 11:09:01 AM »

It sounds like you're trying to compare first/business/preferred with SWA economy. You even said basic economy on United is "painful."

I fly 2-3 times per year domestic/Mexico. In almost every case, my experience is way better on SWA than any legacy when flying economy.

feedback