[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2021 Transfer Portal  (Read 276869 times)

onepost

• All American
Re: 2021 Transfer Portal
« Reply #1050 on: April 27, 2021, 10:46:56 AM »
Does anyone know our updated t-rank by adding OMP and Kuath?  And what it would be with Morsell in the fold?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1051 on: April 27, 2021, 10:54:55 AM »
I mean, no ill will towards the guy, but have to imagine Perez was on the chopping block before Dexter.  Not really sure how he fits in and would be very surprised if he is on the roster come fall.

Since it's likely Perez would have to sit out, I'd be surprised if he WANTS to transfer.  He's also been pretty active practicing with the team, but maybe I'm reading too much into that.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1052 on: April 27, 2021, 10:57:10 AM »
Since it's likely Perez would have to sit out, I'd be surprised if he WANTS to transfer.  He's also been pretty active practicing with the team, but maybe I'm reading too much into that.

For sure.  I feel like the NCAA would probably do something for a guy like Perez in that situation, but as of now, yeah....kind of a crapty situation for him if he's asked to leave and he can't get some sort of waiver.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1053 on: April 27, 2021, 11:09:04 AM »
For sure.  I feel like the NCAA would probably do something for a guy like Perez in that situation, but as of now, yeah....kind of a crapty situation for him if he's asked to leave and he can't get some sort of waiver.
Or, Perez might actually be pretty good. Draw your own conclusions on why he didn't show that much last year.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1054 on: April 27, 2021, 11:11:15 AM »
Good luck to Dexter. Hope he finds a venue that can realize on his potential.

Stan was a big advocate of Dexter, so interesting to see if he recruits him to Loyola Marymount.  Would be a homecoming to Southern California for Dexter .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #1055 on: April 27, 2021, 11:18:51 AM »
Best Wishes Dexter

marquette20

• Starter
« Reply #1056 on: April 27, 2021, 11:21:43 AM »
Does anyone know our updated t-rank by adding OMP and Kuath?  And what it would be with Morsell in the fold?

The way T-Rank calculates is based on 10 contributed using estimated minutes based previous year examples. Freshman are purely judged based on comparable rankings of previous freshman so Marquette is harmed with that.

We are currently at 50 with OMP and Kuath added. Interesting enough subtracting Perez from the roster raises us to 48.

Adding Morsell would involve 2 subtractions from the roster. I assumed Perez to be 1 of the subtractions. With Elliot as the other, we drop 1 spot to 51. With Oso as the subtraction, we increase to 44. With Dawson as the doomsday scenario in this case, we drop to 73. Obviously losing Dawson would be awful but was interesting to see lack of an impact Elliot to Morsell made on rankings.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1057 on: April 27, 2021, 11:34:25 AM »
Honest question - if Elliott were to leave, who is going to make threes on this team?  I admittedly and not an expert on all of the new guys coming in.  But definitely seems to me like Greg has a role on this team. 

Or, Perez might actually be pretty good. Draw your own conclusions on why he didn't show that much last year.

Ehhh.  I think Perez made it pretty clear he is not a high major contributor.  He made it clear he can play against low major teams, and I don't doubt he could find some top 150 type team he could contribute to.  Maybe its Marquette.  But I just don't really see the fit.  All this is asterisked by the fact that we may not have ever seen Perez at his best, or even healthy at all.  So his SSS may not be fair to judge him on, but that's all I got. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1058 on: April 27, 2021, 11:37:44 AM »

There's a waiver available for a coaching change.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

fjm

• All American
« Reply #1059 on: April 27, 2021, 11:44:18 AM »
I want Greg in an MU jersey next year. Some senior MU stability.

Having said that, if I’m Greg (and I’ve already gotten my degree from MU), I’m looking at going to Oakland and spending a year hooping it up in the horizon with my pal Jamal. I think those two could really make Oakland a top team in the Horizon league.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1060 on: April 27, 2021, 11:52:33 AM »

Having said that, if I’m Greg (and I’ve already gotten my degree from MU), I’m looking at going to Oakland

If I am Greg, I am looking at University of Hawaii, or Pepperdine. But that is just me.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1061 on: April 27, 2021, 11:56:21 AM »
I like Greg, and hope he somehow qualifies for the roster exception, but I wouldn't be too sad if he doesn't qualify for the exception and moves on.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1062 on: April 27, 2021, 12:03:15 PM »
Honest question - if Elliott were to leave, who is going to make threes on this team?  I admittedly and not an expert on all of the new guys coming in.  But definitely seems to me like Greg has a role on this team. 

Ehhh.  I think Perez made it pretty clear he is not a high major contributor.  He made it clear he can play against low major teams, and I don't doubt he could find some top 150 type team he could contribute to.  Maybe its Marquette.  But I just don't really see the fit.  All this is asterisked by the fact that we may not have ever seen Perez at his best, or even healthy at all.  So his SSS may not be fair to judge him on, but that's all I got.
Playing devil's advocate-His freshman year he score 10 against VA, 16 against VCU, and 9 against VA Tech. His sophomore year, he scored 12 against UNC, and 12 against So Carolina. Granted, I have not watched one minute of these games.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1063 on: April 27, 2021, 12:23:53 PM »
Playing devil's advocate-His freshman year he score 10 against VA,

He actually scored 19 against the National Champions on 7/10 shooting.

I think Perez is better than what he showed. COVID messed him up. That being said, I'm not certain he's a match for what Shaka wants.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1064 on: April 27, 2021, 12:27:41 PM »
Playing devil's advocate-His freshman year he score 10 against VA, 16 against VCU, and 9 against VA Tech. His sophomore year, he scored 12 against UNC, and 12 against So Carolina. Granted, I have not watched one minute of these games.

Yeah, based on how quickly the ball went in the air everytime it touched his hands, I am not shocked he scored some points against high major opponents as he was probably one of the best 2-3 players on his terrible team.  But he definitely lacks the athleticism and size to impact Big East games when his roster is full of high level D1 players.  None of this is meant to bad mouth Jose.  If he sticks around I will cheer for him like I do all MU guys.  But seeing as though we're at 14 guys and sounds like Morsell is likely to come from those that claim to be in the know, that means 2 out of 3 of Dawson, Jose and Greg are not going to on this roster. 

It is so refreshing to see a coach actually use his scholarships, btw.  I blasted Wojo annually for continually punting scholarships and then got blasted here for that opinion.  But that's what they are for, and self imposing scholarships penalties for no reason is precisely why Marquette always seemed to be down to 8-9 active players at some point of each season in Wojo's tenure. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1065 on: April 27, 2021, 12:36:32 PM »
Yeah, based on how quickly the ball went in the air everytime it touched his hands, I am not shocked he scored some points against high major opponents as he was probably one of the best 2-3 players on his terrible team.  But he definitely lacks the athleticism and size to impact Big East games when his roster is full of high level D1 players.  None of this is meant to bad mouth Jose.  If he sticks around I will cheer for him like I do all MU guys.  But seeing as though we're at 14 guys and sounds like Morsell is likely to come from those that claim to be in the know, that means 2 out of 3 of Dawson, Jose and Greg are not going to on this roster. 

It is so refreshing to see a coach actually use his scholarships, btw.  I blasted Wojo annually for continually punting scholarships and then got blasted here for that opinion.  But that's what they are for, and self imposing scholarships penalties for no reason is precisely why Marquette always seemed to be down to 8-9 active players at some point of each season in Wojo's tenure.

And a full roster of players also gives you more opportunities to develop guys and maybe get some unexpected contributions. Sure you’ll see some transfers out and I get that baking a scholarship can provide some flexibility but that’s probably overrated.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1066 on: April 27, 2021, 12:43:30 PM »

Just to prepare you, Shaka didn't use all of his scholarships most years at Texas. It's very common for coaches to not use all of their scholarships.
TAMU

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1067 on: April 27, 2021, 12:47:05 PM »
He actually scored 19 against the National Champions on 7/10 shooting.

I think Perez is better than what he showed. COVID messed him up. That being said, I'm not certain he's a match for what Shaka wants.
Thanks for that, my old fat fingers typed it wrong.  I said it before, but I think Jose's game is similar to how Wes plays in the NBA.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1068 on: April 27, 2021, 12:48:53 PM »
Just to prepare you, Shaka didn't use all of his scholarships most years at Texas. It's very common for coaches to not use all of their scholarships.

Do you have a link that shows his scholarship players each year during his Texas days? Would be curious to see it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1069 on: April 27, 2021, 12:51:33 PM »
Do you have a link that shows his scholarship players each year during his Texas days? Would be curious to see it.

You can go to UT official roster and look at past seasons. Most seasons 1 or 2 walk ons ended up with schollies. I think he had one season with 13 scholarship players.
TAMU

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1070 on: April 27, 2021, 01:07:21 PM »
Thanks for that, my old fat fingers typed it wrong.  I said it before, but I think Jose's game is similar to how Wes plays in the NBA.
A 3 and D guy? Yeah, I don't see that in Perez, at all. Not that he is bashful at chucking the 3's.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1071 on: April 27, 2021, 01:11:46 PM »
You can go to UT official roster and look at past seasons. Most seasons 1 or 2 walk ons ended up with schollies. I think he had one season with 13 scholarship players.

Gotcha - yeah always difficult to determine who are walk ons on university website rosters. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1072 on: April 27, 2021, 01:15:32 PM »
Well if Dawson doesn't return, it looks like we have our 13 man roster (for now).

There is definitely more coming. Both ways.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #1073 on: April 27, 2021, 01:34:13 PM »
A 3 and D guy? Yeah, I don't see that in Perez, at all. Not that he is bashful at chucking the 3's.

For sure. A lot like Wes, except he can’t shoot or play defense. Perez is 28-107 from 3 the last 2 seasons.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1074 on: April 27, 2021, 02:13:52 PM »
There's a waiver available for a coaching change.

For second time transfers?