[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2021 Transfer Portal  (Read 276885 times)

lawdog77

• All American
Re: 2021 Transfer Portal
« Reply #925 on: April 20, 2021, 09:23:39 AM »
Miller Kopp to Indiana

Whoever said that Indiana made a poor hiring decision needs to be put on public display for ridicule.
There is word he is changing his name from Woodson to Wooden.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #926 on: April 20, 2021, 09:25:20 AM »
There is word he is changing his name from Woodson to Wooden.

He could go ancient Viking and call himself Woodenson
Maigh Eo for Sam

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #927 on: April 20, 2021, 09:41:52 AM »
So since we’ve been told we aren't done, anybody got any morsels of info on current targets?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 12:20:38 PM by Tha Hound »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #928 on: April 20, 2021, 09:46:52 AM »
So since we’ve been told we agent done, anybody got any morsels of info on current targets?

I don't know if that was on purpose or not but well done.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #929 on: April 20, 2021, 12:11:25 PM »
I'll never get over the fact that we couldn't bring a kid named MILLER KOPP to Milwaukee, smh
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #930 on: April 20, 2021, 12:29:43 PM »
I think that would be Woodensen
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #931 on: April 20, 2021, 12:37:30 PM »
Marquette expressing interest in Oklahoma transfer Kur Kuath.

https://twitter.com/dushawnlondon1/status/1384543539636412416?s=21
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #932 on: April 20, 2021, 12:40:43 PM »

If he went with Wooderson, it would be "Alright, alright, alright."

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #933 on: April 20, 2021, 01:24:33 PM »
Marquette expressing interest in Oklahoma transfer Kur Kuath.

https://twitter.com/dushawnlondon1/status/1384543539636412416?s=21

This would be a interesting addition, a center who has some offense but more of a defensive presence which MU has no one right now.  I am one who does not
like to cut players.  2 of the 3 are working hard right now to be part of the team.  Elliott is always hurt, time to tell him to move on.  He has no luck.  If they get one
more big, I have to believe Garcia wants to move on.  Shaka will have some tough decisions, since I do not see Garcia making a decision till July.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #934 on: April 20, 2021, 02:21:16 PM »
This would be a interesting addition, a center who has some offense but more of a defensive presence which MU has no one right now.  I am one who does not
like to cut players.  2 of the 3 are working hard right now to be part of the team.  Elliott is always hurt, time to tell him to move on.  He has no luck.  If they get one
more big, I have to believe Garcia wants to move on.  Shaka will have some tough decisions, since I do not see Garcia making a decision till July.

"Cutting" players who have been with the program for four years and worked hard to represent the program well on and off the court, would be a truly sh*tty way for Shaka to begin his tenure.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #935 on: April 20, 2021, 02:22:50 PM »
"Cutting" players who have been with the program for four years and worked hard to represent the program well on and off the court, would be a truly sh*tty way for Shaka to begin his tenure.

Meh.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #936 on: April 20, 2021, 02:31:38 PM »
I know this has been asked elsewhere but I haven't seen a definitive response. Can Greg technically be a 5th year player and not count towards limit? It's assumed he had a redshirt year, but what are the actual triggers that let you play an extra year, do you have to apply?

onepost

• All American
« Reply #937 on: April 20, 2021, 02:36:55 PM »

Not to say he's going down this road, but this is high major college basketball and scholarships are a year-by-year arrangement.  Goes both ways.  Just like Theo can head off to Duke, Symir can head off to Syracuse, Koby can head off to Weber State, Jamal can head off to Oakland, Shaka in turn owes these guys nothing.  And if guys like Perez or Akanno or Greg are encouraged to find a new landing spot, then this is a great year to do so since they won't have to sit at all.

"crapty way for Shaka to begin his tenure" is being far too dramatic.  This is a business, and whatever Shaka needs to do to put out the best team possible (legally), I'm good with.

McLintock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #938 on: April 20, 2021, 02:42:43 PM »
I express no opinion on cutting players but if you've given a player 4 years of scholarship I don't see how you are doing anything wrong by not providing them with a 5th. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #939 on: April 20, 2021, 03:45:24 PM »

These are high level D1 athletes.  Such is life.  Do you feel bad for every HS kid that gets cut from his varsity team?  It sucks - but its real life.  Every kid on Marquette will find a landing spot on a D1 team somewhere else if it so happens that space needs to be made.

Take the best players you can get your hands on, and if that means some guys at the end of the roster lose their spot, so be it.  This isn't teeball. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #940 on: April 20, 2021, 03:49:53 PM »
I can't get really hung up about "cutting" players when they don't have to sit a year. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #941 on: April 20, 2021, 03:55:07 PM »
I know this has been asked elsewhere but I haven't seen a definitive response. Can Greg technically be a 5th year player and not count towards limit? It's assumed he had a redshirt year, but what are the actual triggers that let you play an extra year, do you have to apply?

He (and MU) could get a waiver to allow for this to be his Covid year, I believe.  I'm assuming, though, that he'd be done after this season and wouldn't get the extra year of eligibility, regardless of whether he was on scholarship or not. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #942 on: April 20, 2021, 04:11:27 PM »
Kuath has a back problem.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #943 on: April 20, 2021, 04:22:44 PM »
I can't get really hung up about "cutting" players when they don't have to sit a year.

They still have to find a new school, move who knows how far, leave behind their academic work (and perhaps even credits), leave behind friendships, etc., all involuntarily.
It's not nothing.
It's one thing for a coach to come in from day one and tell a player he doesn't fit into his scheme, will  struggle to earn playing time and might want to consider other options. That's fair game. It's another to wait a month or more after you've been hired, encourage the kid to participate workouts and activities as part of the team, and then pull the rug out from under him when a shinier object comes along.
That's what some are talking about doing.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #944 on: April 20, 2021, 04:24:19 PM »
Well my guess is that the truth lies in the middle, and neither of us really know what that is.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #945 on: April 20, 2021, 05:23:29 PM »
They still have to find a new school, move who knows how far, leave behind their academic work (and perhaps even credits), leave behind friendships, etc., all involuntarily.
It's not nothing.
It's one thing for a coach to come in from day one and tell a player he doesn't fit into his scheme, will  struggle to earn playing time and might want to consider other options. That's fair game. It's another to wait a month or more after you've been hired, encourage the kid to participate workouts and activities as part of the team, and then pull the rug out from under him when a shinier object comes along.
That's what some are talking about doing.
Perhaps SS told them look.....we are actively pursuing additional players. If the players were have our eye on choose MU..we will take them. If that is the case, we will do everything in our power to find a new an appropriate home for you. If the players we are interested in don’t come to campus, you can stay. In the meantime, I encourage you to continue to practice with the team and stay in shape because you are playing next year, whether it be here or somewhere else.
I’m quite certain isn’t feeding these guys bullcrap just to pull the rug out from under them.
It’s a strange year, but I certainly hope that SS is overturning every stone to get the best players he can to MU—without having to sit a year.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #946 on: April 20, 2021, 07:10:21 PM »
Not to say he's going down this road, but this is high major college basketball and scholarships are a year-by-year arrangement.  Goes both ways.  Just like Theo can head off to Duke, Symir can head off to Syracuse, Koby can head off to Weber State, Jamal can head off to Oakland, Shaka in turn owes these guys nothing.  And if guys like Perez or Akanno or Greg are encouraged to find a new landing spot, then this is a great year to do so since they won't have to sit at all.

"crapty way for Shaka to begin his tenure" is being far too dramatic.  This is a business, and whatever Shaka needs to do to put out the best team possible (legally), I'm good with.
i know you can’t reply since you’re onepostdavis, but is this your one post?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #947 on: April 20, 2021, 07:14:34 PM »
Perhaps SS told them look.....we are actively pursuing additional players. If the players were have our eye on choose MU..we will take them. If that is the case, we will do everything in our power to find a new an appropriate home for you. If the players we are interested in don’t come to campus, you can stay. In the meantime, I encourage you to continue to practice with the team and stay in shape because you are playing next year, whether it be here or somewhere else.
I’m quite certain isn’t feeding these guys bullcrap just to pull the rug out from under them.
It’s a strange year, but I certainly hope that SS is overturning every stone to get the best players he can to MU—without having to sit a year.

I mean, anything is possible, but don't you think that a kid presented with that scenario would have put his name in the transfer portal by now? If a coach is telling you "You can stay for now, but I might drop you at any moment," it would seem that the smart play is to let other programs know you're available before they fill up all their spots.
So, yeah, this could be possible, but pretty unlikely.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #948 on: April 20, 2021, 07:22:15 PM »
I mean, anything is possible, but don't you think that a kid presented with that scenario would have put his name in the transfer portal by now? If a coach is telling you "You can stay for now, but I might drop you at any moment," it would seem that the smart play is to let other programs know you're available before they fill up all their spots.
So, yeah, this could be possible, but pretty unlikely.

That was my thought too. What player would stay under that scenario.

It is like telling your significant other, hey I'm actively looking for a new partner. There are several options I'm super excited about, if any of them are interested in me I'm dumping you in a flash. If that happens, I'll try to hook you up with one of my friends, so like you should totally put all your effort into this relationship as practice, because one way or another you'll likely be dating someone.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #949 on: April 20, 2021, 07:27:13 PM »

Even if that means showing loyalty to players?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 07:30:16 PM by 4everDawson »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.