'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2021 Transfer Portal  (Read 276840 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: 2021 Transfer Portal
« Reply #450 on: March 31, 2021, 11:17:26 AM »
Sy is a good kid.  Wish him well.  Nice place to land at Cuse - it was obvious from some tweets I saw that that he is a Cuse fan.  Probably a dream come true.

Not sure he'll such much PT tho.  In any event, wish him well!
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #451 on: March 31, 2021, 11:19:21 AM »
Apparently Shaka and Boeheim see more in him than a sizeable portion of the MU Scoop community. Hmmm....

I mean, Shaka sent him a text. I doubt he's too upset.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #452 on: March 31, 2021, 11:19:32 AM »
Symir to Syracuse.

Good luck, Sy.

It'll be his first time playing in a system.  I hope he blossoms. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #453 on: March 31, 2021, 11:20:08 AM »
Great for him. I hope he does well. If you saw his Twitter thread, which I still cannot believe I did, I’m not surprised at all. Very pro-Syracuse.

I think people here are too hard on him given the circumstances he was in. I don’t think we’ve seen the best of him yet.

Apparently Shaka and Boeheim see more in him than a sizeable portion of the MU Scoop community. Hmmm....

I would have been happy to have him back and I wish him the best going forward.

I mean I think he has a major upside. I also think I could've shot better from beyond the arc this past season and I haven't played basketball since 8th grade. Great D, great teammate, tries hard, I just think if Boeheim wants him he's basically going to have to either fix his shot or say "you are only allowed to drive"
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #454 on: March 31, 2021, 11:50:50 AM »
I mean I think he has a major upside. I also think I could've shot better from beyond the arc this past season and I haven't played basketball since 8th grade. Great D, great teammate, tries hard, I just think if Boeheim wants him he's basically going to have to either fix his shot or say "you are only allowed to drive"

Wojo ruined his shot because Wojo can’t teach shooting.

I’m kidding.

I hope he does well. Sometimes shooting is mechanical, sometimes it’s psychological, most of times it’s both.

Regardless, I hope he does well. No ill will and happy for him that he landed at his hometown big-time program. I’ll be rooting for him to excel there. And if he doesn’t, and he does just end up a role player, great for him that he got to do it at a school he apparently loves.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #455 on: March 31, 2021, 11:52:06 AM »
Did Syracuse offer him initially? I wish the best for Sy-Seemed like a great guy and a team favorite-He was a Wojo/Killings guy-the writing was on the wall as it probably is with a few others.

Just a very odd move for Cuse...I dont see how his performance at MU would have led them to offer him if they did not have enough interest to offer prior to MU....If its his dream to play for Cuse I am guessing they didnt offer initially?

He was surely not a Wojo guy by the end of his tenure based on some of his tweets. Lots of subtweets against Wojo.

I hope he has success at Cuse. He seemed to have a decent shot his frosh year and it went away this year. That's something coaching and gym time can fix for sure.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #456 on: March 31, 2021, 11:57:24 AM »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #457 on: March 31, 2021, 12:05:44 PM »
Good writeup on Torrence leaving and selecting Cuse.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2021/03/syracuse-native-symir-torrence-coming-home-will-play-basketball-for-orange.html

Unsure if it's legit or if it's an excuse in his head but his explanation fits the narrative that Wojo's bench players played way too tight and were afraid to make mistakes
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #458 on: March 31, 2021, 12:10:32 PM »
The general belief on Scoop (including by me) was that Torrence would be best served by taking a step down, like Cohen and Carter and Cheatham did.

But Boeheim, who might know one or two things about basketball, is willing to give him a scholly and a shot. Sy also said he had heard from South Carolina, Wake Forest and Washington. And Shaka apparently wanted to keep him, and we've all talked non-stop about Shaka's recruiting chops.

As for Wojo ruining Sy's confidence by taking him out too soon ... frankly, there were times I thought Wojo left him in too long. We did not have a big margin for error, and Sy made too many mistakes. Plus, he couldn't shoot ... but he did hit a big 3 against UNC.

Anyhoo, I wish Sy good fortune at Cuse and beyond.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #459 on: March 31, 2021, 12:16:27 PM »
Good writeup on Torrence leaving and selecting Cuse.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2021/03/syracuse-native-symir-torrence-coming-home-will-play-basketball-for-orange.html

Is it accurate that he'll have 3 years of eligibility left or is that a mistake?  I know seniors are getting an extra year if they want but has a year been added for everyone that played last season?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #460 on: March 31, 2021, 12:17:48 PM »
Is it accurate that he'll have 3 years of eligibility left or is that a mistake?  I know seniors are getting an extra year if they want but has a year been added for everyone that played last season?

Yup
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #461 on: March 31, 2021, 12:18:22 PM »
Unsure if it's legit or if it's an excuse in his head but his explanation fits the narrative that Wojo's bench players played way too tight and were afraid to make mistakes

“ Settle down!!!!!! ”

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #462 on: March 31, 2021, 12:24:11 PM »

I believe all players get an extra year if they want. But I believe Symir would count against the 13 now that he’s transferred and was on MUs roster.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #463 on: March 31, 2021, 12:25:25 PM »
Best of luck to Symir. I also am surprised he is headed to 'Cuse, but as MU82 mentioned, Boeheim seems to know a bit about the game. Maybe it'll be just the right environment for him to blossom.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #464 on: March 31, 2021, 12:28:30 PM »
I don't know if I agree with this...We have 3 scholarships open (Jamal, Aidoo and Koby).

By my count we now have five scholarships open, and that assumes no one else leaves (Elliott, Perez, Carton, Akanno, Lewis, Ighodaro, Garcia, Jones, and  Mitchell would be the eight scholarship players). 

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #465 on: March 31, 2021, 12:33:59 PM »
By my count we now have five scholarships open, and that assumes no one else leaves (Elliott, Perez, Carton, Akanno, Lewis, Ighodaro, Garcia, Jones, and  Mitchell would be the eight scholarship players).

Four open.  You named 9 players.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #466 on: March 31, 2021, 12:43:50 PM »
The general belief on Scoop (including by me) was that Torrence would be best served by taking a step down, like Cohen and Carter and Cheatham did.

But Boeheim, who might know one or two things about basketball, is willing to give him a scholly and a shot. Sy also said he had heard from South Carolina, Wake Forest and Washington. And Shaka apparently wanted to keep him, and we've all talked non-stop about Shaka's recruiting chops.

As for Wojo ruining Sy's confidence by taking him out too soon ... frankly, there were times I thought Wojo left him in too long. We did not have a big margin for error, and Sy made too many mistakes. Plus, he couldn't shoot ... but he did hit a big 3 against UNC.

Anyhoo, I wish Sy good fortune at Cuse and beyond.

I was surprised by the schools interested in Sy. Goes to show that other power conference coaches saw talent and traits they could work with. Wouldn't be surprised to see him turn into a nice contributor at Syracuse.

Sy did not play well this season. He definitely looked like a kid that lost all confidence. A common theme in Wojo's tenure was a very short bench and lack of production from it (especially the 7,8,9 spots). I thought managing the bench and getting production from it was a major weakness of Wojo.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #467 on: March 31, 2021, 12:47:02 PM »
I was surprised by the schools interested in Sy. Goes to show that other power conference coaches saw talent and traits they could work with. Wouldn't be surprised to see him turn into a nice contributor at Syracuse.

Sy did not play well this season. He definitely looked like a kid that lost all confidence. A common theme in Wojo's tenure was a very short bench and lack of production from it (especially the 7,8,9 spots). I thought managing the bench and getting production from it was a major weakness of Wojo.

Which is why I am excited about Shaka. Big philosphy on getting the 10th and 11th players to feel as engaged and integral to the team as the 1st and 2nd. Definitely something he preaches and puts into practice.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #468 on: March 31, 2021, 12:56:18 PM »
Very happy to hear he has chosen Syracuse. No need to debate if he should return or not. Any word on additional spots opening up?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #469 on: March 31, 2021, 12:58:00 PM »
Villanova's Cole Swider is in the portal

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #470 on: March 31, 2021, 01:15:37 PM »

Interesting. Depending on COVID years (Gillespie/Samuels) and NBA draft potential (JRE/Moore), Villanova could be anywhere from a final four favorite to a bubble team next season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #471 on: March 31, 2021, 01:16:44 PM »

I can't believe he was a top 40 recruit. Seems too slow to have been that highly regarded
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #472 on: March 31, 2021, 01:24:44 PM »

Can get hot from 3 but is a major defensive liability. When he was in the game, we went inside to Dawson repeatedly ... and Dawson scored repeatedly.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #473 on: March 31, 2021, 01:27:06 PM »
I can't believe he was a top 40 recruit. Seems too slow to have been that highly regarded

On the other hand, 6'8" kids that have reputations as elite shooters - as Swider did coming out of high school - don't grow on trees.
Problem is, he hasn't proven to be a good enough shooter to make up for the other deficiencies in his game.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #474 on: March 31, 2021, 01:35:20 PM »
*Because?

Maybe they really don't have a new AD.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust