[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2021 Transfer Portal  (Read 276890 times)

nyg

• All American
Re: 2021 Transfer Portal
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2021, 07:46:04 AM »
https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/1370488916239921152

Jeff Borzello
@jeffborzello
Vermont transfer Stef Smith has heard from Providence, UConn, St. John’s, Marquette, Nebraska, Colorado St., Arkansas, Florida, Santa Clara, St. Mary’s, Mississippi St., Northeastern, UTSA, Washington St., Loyola Marymount and UNCG, per his AAU coach. Two-time All-America East.

Sharpshooting 2G from Vermont. Career 39% 3P shooter. Was very good as a junior, had a bit of an off year as a senior but still was 2nd team all-conference in the AE. Some history with MU, as a FR he hung 20 points on us. Like him better than Daye Jr but not as much as Jamison Battle.

Battle is a SF, one of those switchables and Daye is PG, so Wojo looking to replace both Cain and Koby. 
Should be an interesting two weeks, players will be flocking into the transfer portal and if immediate eligibility is granted it could get crazy. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2021, 08:12:56 AM »
First offseason transfer out of the Big East belongs to Providence. Greg Gantt Jr. He wasn't a consistent starter for them but he got starter level minutes. They better hope Duke doesn't decide to try his luck in the NBA draft or they could be below DePaul next season.

Duke would have to at least seriously think about leaving. I've seen at least two mock drafts that have him going in the first round, and many think he'll be a second-rounder.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

panda

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2021, 08:30:51 AM »
Duke would have to at least seriously think about leaving. I've seen at least two mock drafts that have him going in the first round, and many think he'll be a second-rounder.

I do wonder if Cooley sees this as his opportunity to move to BC. If Duke leaves, there will be some heavy lifting involved at PC and you wonder if he thinks he’s topped out.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2021, 08:33:28 AM »
I do wonder if Cooley sees this as his opportunity to move to BC. If Duke leaves, there will be some heavy lifting involved at PC and you wonder if he thinks he’s topped out.

I think he is topped out at Providence and with UConn back in the league, the job is more difficult
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2021, 09:57:22 AM »
I think he is topped out at Providence and with UConn back in the league, the job is more difficult

True ... but although this was a down year for the ACC, they have some pretty good programs that make it difficult to win there, too.

Not saying he wouldn't go.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2021, 10:42:31 AM »
True ... but although this was a down year for the ACC, they have some pretty good programs that make it difficult to win there, too.

I have no idea if he’s leaving or not but there’s a ceiling at Providence. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2021, 11:27:40 AM »
First offseason transfer out of the Big East belongs to Providence. Greg Gantt Jr. He wasn't a consistent starter for them but he got starter level minutes. They better hope Duke doesn't decide to try his luck in the NBA draft or they could be below DePaul next season.

I've kinda felt like it seems Duke is almost expected to go. Isn't he a legit shot at being a 1st rounder?
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2021, 11:53:14 AM »

PC should go for a Pitino reunion if he leaves. My guess is that Friar fans would be fine with that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2021, 01:03:42 PM »
Isaiah Moore of St John’s in the transfer portal. Reportedly had issues with Anderson. Was benched for the last two games.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

nyg

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2021, 01:15:17 PM »
Isaiah Moore of St John’s in the transfer portal. Reportedly had issues with Anderson. Was benched for the last two games.

Actually was in COVID protocol.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2021, 01:22:54 PM »
Smokescreen given the entry into the transfer portal?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2021, 01:24:02 PM »

He was on the bench for the Seton Hall game last weekend.

It sounds like nobody with SJU is too sad over him leaving.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2021, 01:32:11 PM »
I've kinda felt like it seems Duke is almost expected to go. Isn't he a legit shot at being a 1st rounder?

I think the smart money is on him going. I probably could've phrased my post better to reflect that.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2021, 01:57:13 PM »
I think the smart money is on him going. I probably could've phrased my post better to reflect that.

No worries I don't follow it all too much just coulda sworn I saw a lot of things pointing to him leaving.

Would definitely be crucial for them to get another year out of him.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

nyg

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2021, 02:00:22 PM »
He was on the bench for the Seton Hall game last weekend.

It sounds like nobody with SJU is too sad over him leaving.

https://nypost.com/2021/03/11/st-johns-forward-isaih-moore-out-of-big-east-tournament-due-to-covid-19-protocol/

You right, hardly played.  I believe he had problems in his prior to SJU stint. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2021, 10:46:51 PM »
Interesting name in the transfer portal. John Meeks from Bucknell.

Had a very pedestrian first three years at Bucknell. Benchwarmer as FR, back of the rotation guy as SO, part time starter as a JR. This was his senior year.

Bucknell plays in the Patriot league which opted out of non-conference play due to COVID. Their first game was January 2nd. Meeks missed the first four games with an injury, Bucknell goes 0-4. Meeks was ready for game #5 and put up a very modest 12 point performance in his season debut and Bucknell's first win of the season. Meeks then goes off the next three games averaging 28.7 points, 7 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 1.3 steals, 2.3 turns, while shooting 55% from 2 and 43% from 3. Bucknell is now 4-4...but due to weird conference scheduling all 4 wins are against Lehigh. After that spurt, Bucknell goes on COVID pause for 3 weeks. When they returned, Meeks is still on COVID protocol and misses the last 2 games of the regular season, both losses for Bucknell. Meeks returns for the Patriot tournament and hangs 31 and 11 on Lafayette to lead Bucknell to the upset. In the next round, Meeks ended up with 23 points but Bucknell still got spanked by Colgate, the top team in the conference.

All in all, Meeks averaged 25.3 points, 6.8 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 1 steal, 2.7 turnovers, shot 53.2% from 2 and 38.5 from 3. Take off his first game back from injury and those numbers go up even higher....but he only played 6 games, 4 of them against #333 Lehigh.

So, potential high major starter? Or just a dude who got to play 67% of his games against the same sub 330 team?
TAMU

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2021, 10:57:28 PM »

Had a very pedestrian first three years at Bucknell. Benchwarmer as FR, back of the rotation guy as SO, part time starter as a JR. This was his senior year.

Bucknell plays in the Patriot league which opted out of non-conference play due to COVID. Their first game was January 2nd. Meeks missed the first four games with an injury, Bucknell goes 0-4. Meeks was ready for game #5 and put up a very modest 12 point performance in his season debut and Bucknell's first win of the season. Meeks then goes off the next three games averaging 28.7 points, 7 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 1.3 steals, 2.3 turns, while shooting 55% from 2 and 43% from 3. Bucknell is now 4-4...but due to weird conference scheduling all 4 wins are against Lehigh. After that spurt, Bucknell goes on COVID pause for 3 weeks. When they returned, Meeks is still on COVID protocol and misses the last 2 games of the regular season, both losses for Bucknell. Meeks returns for the Patriot tournament and hangs 31 and 11 on Lafayette to lead Bucknell to the upset. In the next round, Meeks ended up with 23 points but Bucknell still got spanked by Colgate, the top team in the conference.

All in all, Meeks averaged 25.3 points, 6.8 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 1 steal, 2.7 turnovers, shot 53.2% from 2 and 38.5 from 3. Take off his first game back from injury and those numbers go up even higher....but he only played 6 games, 4 of them against #333 Lehigh.

So, potential high major starter? Or just a dude who got to play 67% of his games against the same sub 330 team?

Interesting situation. My inclination would be to think his stats are a fluke with so few games played against such weak competition. But you just never know.

Given that it is only a one year scholarship, he might be worth a gamble if you have an open space, but I wouldn’t deliberately keep a roster spot open for him if more proven players are interested.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2021, 10:51:38 AM »
Per Jeff Goodman, Kyky Tandy is transferring from Xavier. He lost playing time as the season went on, so no surprise.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2021, 11:00:24 AM »

I'm definitely in favor of bringing in Meeks, as long as next season's schedule includes 20 games against Lehigh and 5 against Lafayette.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2021, 11:09:15 AM »
Per Jeff Goodman, Kyky Tandy is transferring from Xavier. He lost playing time as the season went on, so no surprise.

When I did my Top 50 players in the Big East for Paint Touches this year, I left off KyKy Tandy in favor of Nate Johnson. A few people here and a lot of Xavier fans told me I was nuts. I really never understood the hype around Tandy, he could score....and nothing else and he wasn't that efficient at scoring.

It's okay, I got plenty of other things wrong in that article. I had Bouknight outside the top 10 and Watson outside the top 30 :o
TAMU

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2021, 11:36:11 AM »
When I did my Top 50 players in the Big East for Paint Touches this year, I left off KyKy Tandy in favor of Nate Johnson. A few people here and a lot of Xavier fans told me I was nuts. I really never understood the hype around Tandy, he could score....and nothing else and he wasn't that efficient at scoring.

It's okay, I got plenty of other things wrong in that article. I had Bouknight outside the top 10 and Watson outside the top 30 :o

I read his bio on the X website last year.  That dude could fill it up in high school, and I was a little perplexed why he seemed like such a non-factor in college.  Seems like kind of a bust given his high school accolades.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2021, 11:48:26 AM »
UMass C Tre Mitchell??  Averaged 18ppg and over 7 rebs.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2021, 11:55:47 AM »
UMass C Tre Mitchell??  Averaged 18ppg and over 7 rebs.

I would 100% be interested. Good with left hand. Can dribble. Hits 3s occasionally and decent looking jumper. Would open the floor up for Carton and any other slasher we had.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2021, 12:11:37 PM »
Vandy and Tandy have mutual interest. We'll see where he lands.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2021, 12:13:47 PM »
Vandy and Tandy have mutual interest. We'll see where he lands.

Would be dandy.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

feedback