[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MU82
[Today at 12:54:04 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Is Maryland a "destination"?  (Read 7622 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Is Maryland a "destination"?
« on: May 07, 2011, 07:00:57 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6501211

sounds like Sean Miller is going to meet with Maryland. He may very well say no immediately, but even if he meets with them, what does that say about Maryland? Arizona?

I would have thought Arizona is definitely a better place to be than Maryland. Maryland seems Tier 2 in the ACC, while Arizona is Tier 1 in the Pac 10. Not to mention Arizona is in a better place right now.

please note, this has nothing to do with Marquette and the discussion of its coaches or "destination" status. keep it that way, thanks.

edit: maybe add this to the post in the Al. missed that thread, my bad.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Is Maryland a "destination"?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 07:22:35 PM »
I think they are about the same.  If you are an east coast guy, Maryland might be a better option.  Plus, Tucson is a bit of an acquired taste.  I know people who love it there...and I know people who think it's a dirty crap-hole.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 12:19:08 AM »
I'm guessing Turgeon of A&M takes the Maryland job.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 12:22:03 AM »
Maryland is, contemporarily, the 5th best team in the ACC.  If an incoming coach can't keep the recruits they can easily slip to the doldrums of the conference.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 05:46:20 AM »
Miller just turned down Maryland and signed an extension at Arizona.  

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6504485

« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 05:48:24 AM by nyg »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 05:54:10 AM »

Here then, I'll complete the thought that Buzz then bolts for College Station, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 07:48:49 AM »
After just signing an extention with MU, it would be really bad form for Buzz to leave just a couple months later.  I doubt it happens.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 10:07:45 AM »

Here then, I'll complete the thought that Buzz then bolts for College Station, aina?

I hope not.

Disagree that Maryland is the 5th best ACC job as well.  Baltimore and the D.C area is a hotbed for hoops.  They are basketball crazed and are not down the street from Duke or UNC.  I've seen some experts claim it is the 3rd best job in the ACC. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 11:00:20 AM »
In response to the question, god no. Maryland at their absolute best is third in the ACC. Destination jobs are those that span generations. UNC, Duke, Indiana, Kansas, UCLA, Kentucky, does Maryland fit in that conversation? If Maryland does, then Marquette certainly does. MU has more title game appearances, more Final Fours, more Elite Eights, more Sweet 16s, and more NCAA Tournament appearances.

Maryland is a nice upper level program, but they are not a destination job. That distinction is reserved for the top few programs in NCAA history. They were fine under Gary Williams and all, but they don't even remotely compare to the aforementioned jobs. Not even in the same galaxy.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 12:16:44 PM »
Who is above Maryland in the ACC beside UNC and Duke?

They've won a NCAA title this century.

Maryland is more of a destination job than Marquette by most people's standards.  Brand new on campus arena, very fertile recruiting base, great league that is stable and not in jeopardy of blowing up, tremendous history, etc.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 12:34:05 PM »

Agreed, but big deal. They are the third most prestigious program in their conference. You could very well say the same thing about the Badgers or Purdue. That doesn't make them a "destination."

Nevertheless, Maryland IS a good program and I'd say definitely in the top 20 of programs you'd want to coach.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 12:41:50 PM »

They've won a NCAA title this century.

Maryland is more of a destination job than Marquette by most people's standards.  Brand new on campus arena, very fertile recruiting base, great league that is stable and not in jeopardy of blowing up, tremendous history, etc.

There are maybe 10-15 destination jobs in college hoops, and that's probably pushing it. Saying Maryland is more of a destination job than Marquette is like saying UW-Green Bay is more of a destination job than South Dakota. It may be technically true, but neither are destination jobs.

A destination job is the kind of job a coach would never want to leave. The kind of job you work all your career to get. The only way a guy would ever consider leaving is if another equal job with more personal ties (see Roy from KU to UNC) came open. Jobs like Kentucky, Duke, Indiana (sorry Crean-haters), Kansas, and UCLA fit this criteria. Maybe you could make a case for Michigan State, Ohio State, or Connecticut. Maybe. But Maryland? Please. Until you can say with a straight face that Maryland is on par with Kansas or Kentucky, it isn't a destination job. It's a nice upper-level job in a good conference, like Illinois, Marquette, Oklahoma State, or Washington. All nice jobs to varying degrees, but no one on the planet is stupid enough to confuse them with UNC, Duke, or UCLA.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 12:49:43 PM »
I never said Maryland was a destination job, not sure why people here are putting those words in my mouth.  I said it was the 3rd best ACC job.  Also has a tremendous recruiting base over many other schools, on campus facilities that probably only 10 schools can match, basketball crazy, etc.

Again, never said it was a destination job.  Is it a better job than Marquette?  Yes.  It is a destination job?  No. 

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 01:02:37 PM »
When maryland has there act together they are just as good as duke and unc.  Those late 90's early 00's maryland teams were stacked.  That being said, no job in college hoops is really a destination job anymore.  Salaries are reaching a ridiculously heavy top end level of parity, and why would anyone switch jobs for basically no salary increase and much higher expectations, other than for personal reasons?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 01:09:22 PM »
I never said Maryland was a destination job, not sure why people here are putting those words in my mouth.  I said it was the 3rd best ACC job.  Also has a tremendous recruiting base over many other schools, on campus facilities that probably only 10 schools can match, basketball crazy, etc.

Again, never said it was a destination job.  Is it a better job than Marquette?  Yes.  It is a destination job?  No.

Well, you did say it was more of a destination job than Marquette. I'm saying that neither of them are destination jobs. Is Wesley Matthews more of an All-Star than Lazar Hayward? No. He's proven more to date, but as neither is an All-Star, he can't be more of an All-Star.

And you said that seemingly in direct response (albeit without a quote) to my preceding comment in which I said that they definitively weren't a destination job and that Marquette deserves to be in the discussion just as much as Maryland. Let's be honest, Marquette has a more prolific basketball history, at the very least comparable facilities, and a bigger basketball budget than Maryland (or anyone outside of Duke) does. You can make plenty of cases for them as a destination, but you can make just as many counter-arguments for Marquette.

But at the end of the day, it's irrelevant, because neither of them are on par with the North Carolinas, Indianas, or Kentuckys of the world.

Maryland may be the third best job in the ACC (emphasis on may) but that's about as useful as being fourth best in the Big 12 or third best in the Pac-12. Nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't put you on par with Duke, UNC, Kansas, or UCLA.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2011, 01:11:07 PM »
http://www.tbd.com/articles/2011/05/mike-brey-says-he-s-staying-at-notre-dame-won-t-come-coach-at-maryland-60260.html

Brey just took himself out.

Next possible target is Stevens from Butler, then Turgeon, then Shaka from VCU.  

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2011, 01:25:18 PM »
http://www.tbd.com/articles/2011/05/mike-brey-says-he-s-staying-at-notre-dame-won-t-come-coach-at-maryland-60260.html

Brey just took himself out.

Next possible target is Stevens from Butler, then Turgeon, then Shaka from VCU.  

I can't see Stevens taking it. It just doesn't feel like the right move for him now, and he'd have to immediately compete with K and Ole Roy. I think he's far more likely to move to a Big Ten school first. Turgeon I could see. A&M is a decent job, but it constantly lives in Texas' shadow. Though he is a Big 12 guy, I can't see him waiting for Self to leave Kansas, as that probably won't be for 20-30 years.

As far as Shaka...if I were him I'd jump at this. While I realize that he just re-upped at VCU, I think the idea was to stay there for a year in hopes that a good high-major came open, and there simply weren't any after his Final Four run. Maryland is the best job that's been open this Spring and he's familiar with the general area. If it's one of these three, my money's on Smart.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2011, 01:34:34 PM »

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2011, 02:03:47 PM »
The local Duke Club president, was my law partner, and I've listened (or pretended to listen-lol), to everything that is ACC BB, for over 15 years.
To ACCers Maryland is absolutely the third best program in the ACC, and they're totally in concurrence with Chicos, on that point, as am I.

Destination? Well it seems next you'd be determining if the 3rd best program in the ACC is a "destination".

The ACC is considered better in BB than Pac 10, which has fallen off badly in recent years...so East coaster Sean Miller, may well consider it a better locale, and ultimately, an upgradeable program, just currently a little down. Certainly, the ACC is usually among the top 3 conferences for BB, almost every year.

The Maryland program's record is fairly similar to MU basketball :
NCAA Appearances 24*
NCAA W-L record 38-23
Sweet Sixteen 13
Elite Eight 5
Final Four 2
National Championships 1

Overall
Years of basketball 87

Head coaches (all-time) 7

All-time record 1368-962
20+ win seasons 23
30+ win seasons 1
In the NCAA/NIT postseason in 32 of last 40 years
19 All American Players

87 years ..7 coaches..Lefty Drisell, Gary Williams

Maybe now, neither MU, nor Maryland , are at the highest level as destination jobs, but both are attractive, solid programs, in very good BB conferences. Andy Katz called Maryland one of the top 10-15 coaching jobs in the USa...I'm not quite there, but Maryland and MU are easily both top 30 programs--all time.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2011, 02:52:46 PM »
http://www.testudotimes.com/2011/5/8/2160029/maryland-coaching-search-miller-turned-terps-down-now-what

From UMD newspaper.  Prior to Brey turndown.

I think that shows just how different Maryland's perception of their program and the rest of the world's perception of their program is. "Brey would jump at this offer" they say. Apparently not. He said "No meetings, Go Irish". As far as Jay Wright, the writer said "They didn't indicate if it was because he wasn't interested or because Maryland wasn't, though, and I think the latter is more likely than the former." Right. Why would Jay Wright leave his recruiting hotbed where he is perennially getting into the top 15 in the country and competing in basketball's best conference for a move that it would be very hard to argue is even lateral right now. MD isn't what they were ten years ago. However I do agree that Turgeon is unlikely to relocate to the East Coast.

Shaka Smart is the guy I do think they could still get, but going to an assistant isn't a bad call. I'll be curious to see what happens, but while I could agree on them being a top 30 job, it's not like all of these guys will be crawling over each other to take over the reins at MD.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2011, 07:10:39 PM »
Well, you did say it was more of a destination job than Marquette. I'm saying that neither of them are destination jobs. Is Wesley Matthews more of an All-Star than Lazar Hayward? No. He's proven more to date, but as neither is an All-Star, he can't be more of an All-Star.

Because that is true.  You don't see Maryland's coach over the years being named for other jobs, because Maryland is way more of a destination job than MU.  Part of the reason why MU coaches are named for other jobs every time the wind blows is because it's MU.  KO, TC, BW...just the way it is.

I think anyone that takes off the shades knows that Maryland is much more of a destination job than MU is by any criteria. 

Let's put it another way, Maryland had Lefty Driesell there for 15+ years.  Gary Williams there for 20+ years.  Millikan there for 15+ years.  Shipley was probably there for 30+.

MU has had ONE GUY longer than 15 years.  ONE GUY.  Part of making it a destination job is that coaches go to that destination and they don't leave.  At MU, that's not the case. 

It doesn't make MU a bad job or a second class citizen, but it's reality.  There's a reason why certain schools get coaches and they stay for long periods of time and why MU gets coaches and they leave.  Some schools are destination jobs, some schools are not.  Maryland is certainly MORE of a destination job than MU.  Just the way it is.

2012 Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2011, 08:06:53 PM »
by brew's logic becky is a "destination"

don't see bo put up for any jobs, i understand hes older, but same logic

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2011, 08:23:25 PM »
Remember...Gary Williams left Ohio State to go to Maryland.

Maryland is a good job and my guess if he would have done this earlier, the names thrown out there would be greater.  He probably did this to get his top assistant the job like when Dick Bennett left Wisconsin to basically give the job to Brad Soderberg.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 08:23:45 AM »

By my logic?  ?-(

Do you realize that I'm saying there probably aren't more than ten destination jobs in the country, and that neither Marquette nor Maryland are at that level? And certainly not Wisconsin.

2012 Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 08:48:29 AM »
Sorry brew, meant chico's

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2011, 11:14:26 AM »

Maybe now, neither MU, nor Maryland , are at the highest level as destination jobs, but both are attractive, solid programs, in very good BB conferences. Andy Katz called Maryland one of the top 10-15 coaching jobs in the USa...I'm not quite there, but Maryland and MU are easily both top 30 programs--all time.

Agreed. Neither is a destination, IMO, when you define destination as a program that most coaches would agree that they wouldn't leave for any other. Obviously, Bo Ryan might never want to leave Wisconsin, but that's just one coach's opinion on that particular school. To be a "destination," it has to be a pretty broad consensus that you have reached the summit of the mountain, and there is nowhere better to go.

I'd say there are very very few true destination schools, and they are the usual suspects: Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, et. al There are a few borderline destination schools...like UConn, Michigan St. (dare I say Indiana?), but even those I think someone would bail if the really big boys came a callin'
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 05:23:18 PM by Victor McCormick »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2011, 12:36:37 PM »
Kansas wasn't a destination job for Roy Williams. Kentucky wasn't a destination job for Rick Pitino. Maryland was a destination job for Gary Williams but for other coaches, it might not be. Marquette may be a destination job for someone like Brian Wardle, but for other coaches, it might not be.

In other words, I think it's too simple to say that School X is a destination job while Schools Y and Z are not. Every coach has their own interpretation of a destination job...and some coaches define it as: the job that offers me the most money.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2011, 04:32:23 PM »

Not at all.  One coach does not a destination job make, though one coach can certainly make a job more of a destination.  Wisconsin is a helluva lot better job now than it was 15 years ago...a MUCH better job. Bo Ryan made it so and proved you can win there.  Dick Bennett to some degree as well.  Is it a destination job? No.  Is it a better job than it used to be?  Hell yes

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2011, 05:05:49 PM »
Not at all.  One coach does not a destination job make, though one coach can certainly make a job more of a destination.  Wisconsin is a helluva lot better job now than it was 15 years ago...a MUCH better job. Bo Ryan made it so and proved you can win there.  Dick Bennett to some degree as well.  Is it a destination job? No.  Is it a better job than it used to be?  Hell yes

I'm totally confused now by what's your definition of a destination job. If it's more than one coach having a long, long tenure, then is Duke a destination job? In the four decades before Coach K, they went through seven coaches, none more than 15 years..
Is Kansas a destination job? They've only had one coach last more than a decade since Phog Allen, and that coach bailed for another program.

I'd suggest that whether or not a job is a "destination" job depends largely on who's in the job. For a mid-40s former Maryland player like Gary Williams, Maryland was a destination job. Maybe not for someone else. For Lute Olson, Arizona was a destination job. Sean Miller after just two seasons is having dalliances with another program. UW obviously is Bo Ryan's destination job. Chances are it won't be for the next guy.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 05:07:49 PM by Pakuni »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2011, 05:24:16 PM »
Kansas wasn't a destination job for Roy Williams. Kentucky wasn't a destination job for Rick Pitino. Maryland was a destination job for Gary Williams but for other coaches, it might not be. Marquette may be a destination job for someone like Brian Wardle, but for other coaches, it might not be.

In other words, I think it's too simple to say that School X is a destination job while Schools Y and Z are not. Every coach has their own interpretation of a destination job...and some coaches define it as: the job that offers me the most money.

Agree in principle, but Pitino left Kentucky for the NBA, not a fair comparison, and Williams left for UNC...another destination school.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2011, 08:50:20 PM »
Agree in principle, but Pitino left Kentucky for the NBA, not a fair comparison, and Williams left for UNC...another destination school.

I see your point but to me, a "destination job" is one that a coach has no intention of leaving until he retires no matter what other jobs come open, be it the NBA or another highly-coveted college job. That's just me though. As this thread has shown, there are quite a few definitions out there.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2011, 09:32:48 PM »

Nice call.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2011, 11:33:18 AM »
Yes, despite the jabs, I still have a few contacts here and there in the right spots.  My KU connections tipped me off on MT leaving.  They were right.  Smart move. Maryland is a very good job no matter how you slice it.  The Big 12 is fragile still, Texas is a football state, Maryland is a basketball school with great recruiting targets at home base.  MT was an assistant for Roy Williams and I'm sure Roy helped sell him on the idea.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2011, 11:43:23 PM »
Not at all.  One coach does not a destination job make, though one coach can certainly make a job more of a destination.  Wisconsin is a helluva lot better job now than it was 15 years ago...a MUCH better job. Bo Ryan made it so and proved you can win there.  Dick Bennett to some degree as well.  Is it a destination job? No.  Is it a better job than it used to be?  Hell yes

You could probably argue Crean did a similar thing for Marquette. While O'Neill did a great job, guys like Dukiet and Deane seemed intent on burying any future of MU hoops. Crean came in and turned that around with consistent postseason play, a Final Four, a better conference, and leaving a strong class behind while going to one of the biggest jobs in the game, proving that Marquette could be a very good stepping stone at the least.

So is Marquette a now a destination job? I'd still say no (but hopefully for Buzz, yes ;D ). But is it a better job than it used to be? Hell yes.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2011, 02:04:33 PM »
I'm totally confused now by what's your definition of a destination job. If it's more than one coach having a long, long tenure, then is Duke a destination job? In the four decades before Coach K, they went through seven coaches, none more than 15 years..
Is Kansas a destination job? They've only had one coach last more than a decade since Phog Allen, and that coach bailed for another program.

I'd suggest that whether or not a job is a "destination" job depends largely on who's in the job. For a mid-40s former Maryland player like Gary Williams, Maryland was a destination job. Maybe not for someone else. For Lute Olson, Arizona was a destination job. Sean Miller after just two seasons is having dalliances with another program. UW obviously is Bo Ryan's destination job. Chances are it won't be for the next guy.

I don't think this is hard but if you're confused by my interpretation I'm more than happy to clarify.

There are schools that are "destination" jobs because they win over long swaths of time no matter who the coach is.  Kansas.  North Carolina.  Indiana.  Kentucky.  Etc.  They live, breathe, invest, etc into the program.
You don't leave these jobs usually unless it's an absolute special circumstance....i.e. Roy Williams leaving one destination job to coach at another and take the reigns of his alma mater.

Then there are "destination" jobs that have had some success but not nearly as consistent as the first group above.  They are a place that a certain type of coach would want to coach and be there for a long time, can build a successful program, has the right qualities in a program to be successful.  Those programs are destination jobs for SOME coaches but not all.  I"d put the Illinois, Michigan State, Maryland type schools there.  Some coaches would love to go to Illinois or Maryland and stay there 25 years.  Other coaches can go to Illinois and less than a decade later leave for another gig.

Is Duke a destination job....I'd say yes but I also think it might end up being like UCLA....another "destination" job but one where it might take a cycle of 10 to 20 years to get the next coach that is like the one that built the program up.  Duke had some success prior to Coach K, no doubt, but he will be a tough act to follow.  There will be a long line of guys that will want to try and most certainly will be a "destination" job.  What will be interesting to see is how well they do in terms of the alums, etc.  Coaches that followed John Wooden were very good, but they ran folks like Gene Bartow out of town for "merely" making it to the Final Four and not winning it all.  Denny Crum, UCLA assistant,  refused to take the reigns because he knew the mentality that was there and figured he was better off at Louisville.  The list of examples goes on.

Wisconsin...a destination job?  No.  Marquette...a destination job? No.   Let me know if my clarifications have assisted.  You are correct, a job may be a dream job for someone and thus their destination job but that doesn't mean it's universally that way.  I'll stick by my argument that Maryland is in that next tier of destination jobs where coaches go and put in multi decade runs.  Marquette is not one of those schools and we have almost 100 years of data to show that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2011, 02:09:22 PM »
You could probably argue Crean did a similar thing for Marquette. While O'Neill did a great job, guys like Dukiet and Deane seemed intent on burying any future of MU hoops. Crean came in and turned that around with consistent postseason play, a Final Four, a better conference, and leaving a strong class behind while going to one of the biggest jobs in the game, proving that Marquette could be a very good stepping stone at the least.

So is Marquette a now a destination job? I'd still say no (but hopefully for Buzz, yes ;D ). But is it a better job than it used to be? Hell yes.

As stated, I agree that MU is NOT a destination job.  Is it a better job because of what Crean did....Hell Yes.  That's why I was so dumbfounded that we took a chance and settled on an assistant rather than try and get someone that had already proven his value.  Buzz may end up being that guy, but why are we constantly taking that risk.  THAT'S EXACTLY why I and so many others were puzzled.  Crean left MU in a position of a very valuable job.   Bo Ryan has made Wisconsin a very valuable job.  Neither are destination jobs.

I hope you are right about Buzz and him wanting this to be his destination job...I'd be stunned if that's the case and even more stunned if he has a 10 year run at MU.  Too much instability with the conference, a lot of energy required to recruit at MU because the local talent isn't there to support two high major in state programs, the desire to win a national title (which is going to be very difficult at MU), etc.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2011, 02:50:09 PM »
As stated, I agree that MU is NOT a destination job.  Is it a better job because of what Crean did....Hell Yes.  That's why I was so dumbfounded that we took a chance and settled on an assistant rather than try and get someone that had already proven his value.  Buzz may end up being that guy, but why are we constantly taking that risk.  THAT'S EXACTLY why I and so many others were puzzled.  Crean left MU in a position of a very valuable job.   Bo Ryan has made Wisconsin a very valuable job.  Neither are destination jobs.

I hope you are right about Buzz and him wanting this to be his destination job...I'd be stunned if that's the case and even more stunned if he has a 10 year run at MU.  Too much instability with the conference, a lot of energy required to recruit at MU because the local talent isn't there to support two high major in state programs, the desire to win a national title (which is going to be very difficult at MU), etc.

We are constantly taking "risks" such as Buzz, because no established, proven, high major D-1 coach has yet to clamor for the Marquette job.  It didn't happen when Crean left, and the few coaches we did approach shot us down.  So, while the program is better off and at a better level due to Tom Crean's time at MU - it still isn't a destination job as you have stated.  Furthermore, you rattle off all of the reasons why you would be shocked if Buzz stayed at MU for 10 years, (conference instability, poor recruiting base) but yet get mad at the MU administration for "taking risks" on unproven assistant coaches??  I'm confused.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2011, 03:17:37 PM »
Chicos, MU has pretty much figured out that the way to grow the MU program is through long-term stability.  They need to get someone here, who is going to stay here, and has the ability and willingness to recruit nationally.  It is pretty much the exact opposite approach as UW has taken - they have hired two "system coaches" in Bennett and Ryan who are going to get the best local talent they can and have it fit their system.  Neither was going to go anywhere because they were both Wisconsin "lifers."

So yes...they took a risk because stability is important, and because you have to pay someone a premium to come to a place that isn't a "destination job," and doesn't sit in a recruiting hot-spot in order to maintain that stability.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2011, 03:32:33 PM »
Chicos, MU has pretty much figured out that the way to grow the MU program is through long-term stability.  They need to get someone here, who is going to stay here, and has the ability and willingness to recruit nationally.  It is pretty much the exact opposite approach as UW has taken - they have hired two "system coaches" in Bennett and Ryan who are going to get the best local talent they can and have it fit their system.  Neither was going to go anywhere because they were both Wisconsin "lifers."

So yes...they took a risk because stability is important, and because you have to pay someone a premium to come to a place that isn't a "destination job," and doesn't sit in a recruiting hot-spot in order to maintain that stability.

I think MU's current situation reveals that if MU wants stability in its program, it has to "overpay" its coach.  This isn't a slam on Buzz, and I'm very happy he's our coach and that MU is "overpaying" him.  In my opinion, he's getting paid far more than warranted by the accomplishments in his young career.  But, that simply the price of stability.  MU has to pay its coach enough so that it will be prohibitively expensive for another school to step in and hire him.  If you get lucky and make a good hire, this works well and the "stability premium" (as well as the "Milwaukee premium") is money well spent.  If you make a bad hire, it might be pretty expensive to make a coaching change.

Nothing in life is free.  Stability is college basketball is very valuable.  It should come as no surprise that it's also expensive.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2011, 04:55:07 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but I'd say Crean did more to improve Marquette as a job than Ryan has at Wisconsin, despite Ryan having greater overall success at UW (no Final Four notwithstanding) than Crean had here. And the reason I say that is the system. Crean's system required athletes. When he left, there were four very high level players, of which three have gone on to play in the NBA. There was a culture of athleticism, which most any good coach can find a way to succeed with, even a system coach.

Ryan, on the other hand, will likely not leave Wisconsin with such a culture. When he leaves, there will be good technical players, but it's not like any coach can walk in, use their system, and succeed. There just isn't enough raw basketball talent there. As good as they are (and they have been very good under Ryan) it comes in large part from the style of play he implements, a style that few coaches would emulate these days.

I'll be very curious to see what direction UW goes with their next coach once Ryan retires. He will have a chance to become UW's leader in all-time coaching wins next season, and will certainly take the mark in 2 years. At age 65, what will be left for him? Will he stick at Wisconsin longer than that? Does he want to coach into his 70s? I'm guessing he'll retire within 5 years. What kind of target will the Badgers go after? Another slow-down system guy? Or will they try to use their newfound reputation to go after a high-major candidate? It will be interesting to see what route they take, as I'm not sure what kind of interest they will get, even as a mainstay school in the Big Ten.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2011, 02:40:04 PM »
We are constantly taking "risks" such as Buzz, because no established, proven, high major D-1 coach has yet to clamor for the Marquette job.  It didn't happen when Crean left, and the few coaches we did approach shot us down.  So, while the program is better off and at a better level due to Tom Crean's time at MU - it still isn't a destination job as you have stated.  Furthermore, you rattle off all of the reasons why you would be shocked if Buzz stayed at MU for 10 years, (conference instability, poor recruiting base) but yet get mad at the MU administration for "taking risks" on unproven assistant coaches??  I'm confused.

NO, it happens because we don't try enough to make that pitch.  We decide 48 to 72 hours later that we've "given it our all" and then take the risk.

That's why. 

I agree MU is not a "destination" job but it's a lot better than most jobs out there and enough to lure a candidate that has a track record with less risk.  That's my point.  You and I agree that we're not going to get a Big Ten coach to move over to MU.  We're not going to get a ACC coach or most SEC coaches to move over. That doesn't mean you can't get a A-10, CUSA, some coaches in the Big 12, SEC to look if you actually try.  Hard to try in 48 hours and only going after 3 people. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2011, 02:45:38 PM »

We'll see if that plays out Sultan.  My idea of "long term stability" isn't hiring a guy that up and quit on his first team after one year, is from the South and has moved from job to job to job.  He may end up being a guy that's here 40 years for all we know, but past history doesn't indicate that will be the case.  I don't see how your stability comment comes close to squaring with the actual hire.  I would think a STABILITY hire would be to get a guy from the Midwest, one that has shown he can remain in a spot for a decade or longer, etc, etc. 

In fact, in one respect you seem to be saying MU took a risk (which pretty much everyone agrees is the case, even ners) yet in the same paragraph believe the risk = stability.  Not sure how that squares.

I buy into ners argument that we act the way we do, I get it...I lived it when I worked in the department when we hired Crean and when I was around for the student input for KO.  Totally get it.  Of course, in both of those hires we were a floundering program so it made sense for that risk.

If that is how we continue, then that's the course we will take.  I find it anything but stable, but it doesn't mean it cannot work either.  It does mean, however, that we are likely to go through this stuff continually every 5 to 8 years....such is life....such is INstability.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2011, 03:14:23 PM »
Let me put it this way...

They are taking a risky move by attempting to ensure long-term stability with Buzz.  (Since he has a history of jumping jobs and a short history of success.)

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2011, 03:33:44 PM »
We'll see if that plays out Sultan.  My idea of "long term stability" isn't hiring a guy that up and quit on his first team after one year, is from the South and has moved from job to job to job.  He may end up being a guy that's here 40 years for all we know, but past history doesn't indicate that will be the case.  I don't see how your stability comment comes close to squaring with the actual hire.  I would think a STABILITY hire would be to get a guy from the Midwest, one that has shown he can remain in a spot for a decade or longer, etc, etc.

I'm in the camp right now that Buzz will be here quite awhile. I know not everyone agrees with this. I realize that if a big enough job comes open, he'll go for it, but I think after the past couple years and seeing some pretty sizable schools with deep pockets -- Oregon, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and TAMU -- all come after Buzz and fail to get him, it'll take a special offer to pry him away. Did we know that would be the case off the bat? Of course not. Many of us (myself included) questioned the hire and had serious reservations. After the first three years, considering the suitors and his apparent loyalty, I feel much more secure.

The problem with that idea of a stability hire is who fits that mold that we could get? How many Midwest guys that can stay in one spot for a decade or longer and would be willing to come here even exist? Bo? Izzo? Obviously not. Are there any mid-major coaches out there that fit that mold? Better yet, are there any that we would embrace? The problem with that criteria is that any coach good enough for us to actually want him should be good enough to be lured away well before ten years are up. When does a promising mid-major coach actually stay for a decade? Mark Few? Is that it? Does anyone really believe Brad Stevens will still be at Butler in 2017? Would anyone put Greg Kampe or Dave Loos at the top of a list if Buzz were to suddenly head south?

What you're asking for is an oxymoron. The guys we would want that fit the description would be Big Ten and Big 12 legends that aren't looking to move, while the guys that fit the description and would move are guys we wouldn't want.

At the end of the day, you have to take a chance in one regard or another. We took a big chance by going for a non-Midwest guy who hadn't proven he could stay in one place for a decade or longer. That same description would apply to a few other Marquette coaches, including Al McGuire and Kevin O'Neill. Of course, it also applies to Bob Dukiet and Mike Deane. The only guys we've had that met your qualifications in the past four decades were Rick Majerus and Hank Raymonds, Midwest guys that spent at least ten years at Marquette.

Here's hoping this chance works out. So far, so good.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2011, 05:24:15 PM »
Coaches MU has hired in the last 50 years with previous head coaching experience...Al, Dukiet, Buzz.    2 out of 3 ain't bad.     We could have ended up with Keno Davis or Pelphrey or Bennett.  ANY hire is a gamble.    Experienced, successful coaches from large programs sometimes don't work at the next large program.   Right, RichRod?  Cottingham liked what he had seen out of Buzz in the year he had worked with him.   He promoted from within after gauging interest of some possible candidates.   A perfectly legitimate tactic, yet some are still criticizing it.   Odd.    Right now, I am more confident than I have been in the last 10 years that we have a coach that is going to stick around.    Oregon, TAMU, Oklahoma, Arkansas (some say Iowa) have all come sniffing and he is still here.   Part of that may be that Cottingham is very shrewd in setting up the contract and buyout clause.    Or, maybe, Buzz is one of those rare people you can take at his word.   He's our coach. All indications are that he will be for a while.   He's taken us to a sweet 16.   He held the program together through the transition.   He has expanded our recruiting net.    Go get 'em, Coach.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2011, 07:35:03 PM »
NO, it happens because we don't try enough to make that pitch.  We decide 48 to 72 hours later that we've "given it our all" and then take the risk.

That's why.  

Crean had been sniffing around for a new job since the FF run. The admins knew he wasn't going to be at MU for the long-haul. Buzz was brought in as his top assistant and conveniently took over as head coach the next season. Do you think that was a coincidence and MU simply threw their hands up after 3 days because no one else wanted the job? Or do you think someone at MU had the foresight to think that Buzz could be their man when Crean inevitably left and so they didn't waste any time in giving him the job?

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2011, 02:44:26 PM »
Gary Parrish talks about, what, to coaches, are the elements of the most attractive destination jobs, referencing Texas, and Ohio State, as meeting his elements, to wit:

...."I'm baffled that anybody would question Ohio State as one of the very best basketball jobs in the country. Trust me, college coaches -- you know, the guys who do this for a living -- wouldn't question it because Ohio State has lots of money, first-class facilities, a strong Nike affiliation and a terrific natural recruiting base, and those are the most important things to consider when rating jobs. Just look at the Buckeyes' roster.

The top three returning players -- Jared Sullinger, William Buford and Aaron Craft -- are all from Ohio, and the state produces high-major talent on a regular basis. Meantime, Indianapolis -- home of former OSU stars Greg Oden and Mike Conley -- is only about 175 miles away. So it's possible to recruit within a 200-mile radius of campus at Ohio State and produce Final Four-caliber teams year after year after year. That -- combined with all the other things previously mentioned -- makes Ohio State one of the nation's most desirable jobs. It could reasonably be ranked in the top five and cannot reasonably be ranked outside of the top 10. ..."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/15061687/oklahoma-regents-approve-166m-deal-for-kruger
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2011, 01:10:05 AM »
Crean had been sniffing around for a new job since the FF run. The admins knew he wasn't going to be at MU for the long-haul. Buzz was brought in as his top assistant and conveniently took over as head coach the next season. Do you think that was a coincidence and MU simply threw their hands up after 3 days because no one else wanted the job? Or do you think someone at MU had the foresight to think that Buzz could be their man when Crean inevitably left and so they didn't waste any time in giving him the job?

They thought they had a shot to save some of the recruiting class and Buzz was recommended highly by Crean and others.  Could he be had a week or two later....of course....he wasn't going anywhere.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2011, 01:10:43 AM »
According to Turgeon, this is definitely his destination job (though Kansas would be one he would leave for).  Some interesting but not at all surprising comments about state of Texas basketball.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/6562855/a-smoother-transition-mark-turgeon

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2011, 08:41:17 AM »
"A number of college coaches that have ties to the state of Texas told ESPN.com that high school and AAU coaches in the Lone Star State are famously provincial. If the staff isn't Texas-based, if there isn't a tendency to really cultivate the in-state coaches, there can be a backlash."

That is hardly unique to Texas.  Look at the crap that Purnell had to endure from Chicago AAU coaches when he was first hired.

Some pretty direct comments from Turgeon about his own short-comings as well as the short-comings of the A&M job.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2011, 01:32:55 PM »
"A number of college coaches that have ties to the state of Texas told ESPN.com that high school and AAU coaches in the Lone Star State are famously provincial. If the staff isn't Texas-based, if there isn't a tendency to really cultivate the in-state coaches, there can be a backlash."

That is hardly unique to Texas.  Look at the crap that Purnell had to endure from Chicago AAU coaches when he was first hired.

Some pretty direct comments from Turgeon about his own short-comings as well as the short-comings of the A&M job.

Agree, especially with the DePaul situation. That's been going on for years and if you didn't play ball with the CPL and some of those gems (Cox, etc) then it could get really dicey. 

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2011, 01:25:47 PM »
I think Chicos should replace Cott as AD.  Then we'd get it right.
Do you think MU would go for that?

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2011, 03:38:33 PM »

That is hardly unique to Texas. 

Nor is it anything new. Going back to the Southwest Conference FB days it upset Texas based folks when their teams would lose to Oklahoma, or Arkansas, when most of  the players were from Texas. Then the rest of the country caught on and Texas players were found on every top 10 FB team roster.

In BB out of state recruiting ramped up here within the last 15-20 years, esp. as to the AAU circuit. Ask a few local AAU coaches, and they'll tell you some out of state coaches come here and make cracks about this is just football country, and you dont know/coach basketball like we do, etc.  Even if they're totally right, its not endearing; its off putting.  The locals response may seem provincial, but remember the ESPN article quotes were from out of state coaches , guests in the state, who wished to remove something (a recruit), back to their home state, ...for their benefit.  Watching it occur for 50 plus years, long standing defenses may be up.

Referring to those in Texas, as provincial, is just par for the course.  Texas universities dont recruit much outward, as most of its rosters fill with kids from here. On the other hand, Texas is the source for out of state schools, also, ...local coaches begin to feel slighted...if we're producing all this excess talent, might there be at least adequate coaching, here ,too...do you out of state guys have the corner on coaching skills...and what ....we simply have good drinking water producing these many skilled athletes?

I see a little of it from both sides.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2011, 04:07:37 PM »
I think Chicos should replace Cott as AD.  Then we'd get it right.
Do you think MU would go for that?

I wouldn't take the pay cut

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2011, 09:50:51 PM »
I wouldn't take the pay cut

Wow.  Cheesy. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2011, 05:30:23 PM »
Wow.  Cheesy. 

Just being truthful and trying to hold to your standards

feedback