'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: which seed would you prefer?  (Read 2438 times)

mug644

• All American
which seed would you prefer?
« on: February 17, 2008, 07:34:06 PM »
While I'm a one-game-at-a-time person, the solid showings this week along with the tightening race in the BE have got me thinking. So, which scenario would you all prefer, if one of the two following were to happen:

1. End up seeded fifth, with Notre Dame seeded fourth (meaning we play Notre Dame on day 2 of the BE Tourney, assuming we beat no. 12)

OR

2. End up seeded fourth, with either UConn or Louisville seeded fifth (meaning we wouldn't have to play until day 2, but in all likelihood we'd have to play one of the two teams that completely pounded us this year and who we match up against very poorly.

I realize the second scenario is less likely, simply because of the way both UConn and Louisville are playing and by the way things are shaping up in the standings. Still, it is possible.

I'd take scenario #1, though I don't relish needing to play as many as 4 straight days.

EmJ5

• Walk-On
Re: which seed would you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 07:43:13 PM »
I think option 1 would definitely be the better seed just because we match up to Notre Dame much better than we match up to Louisville or UConn. I think we have more of a chance of making a run in the tourney (and getting at least to the semifinals) if we are a 5 seed. I know it's nice to get a bye, but it might be harder to win that way.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 07:46:48 PM »
To be honest, I could give a rip about the conference tournament. I've always felt like it's good for a team to lose before the tournament (see UAB loss in 03). In that scenario, I'd take the 5 seed. That way MU should get at least one win, and if they beat the 4 seed it's gravy.

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 08:02:40 PM »
I would love to play ND again because I feel we're a poor matchup for them and of the way we got jipped down in South Bend. However, I wouldn't mind playing Louisville or UCONN again. Playing either of them would give us another opportunity to get another marquee win on our tournament resume. And yes I know UCONN and Louisville are bad matchups for us, but I still think we can hang with both of them. However, we do need DJ to be healthy and not throwing up prayers from beyond the arc to do this. Plus, I think in a couple of weeks Mbakwe will have some of the rust off from not playing the last 3 months and he can give us some quality minutes. He's a much better body to have to defend guys like Jeff Adrien and Earl Clark than Dwight Burke. Much better. It's not even close. Add in Barro who's playing much better and a healthier Fitzgerald and I don't see why we should fear any of the BE teams going into the conference tourney.  

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 08:21:39 PM »
The perfect senario would be MU 4 or 5, with Louisville and Uconn being the 2 & 3's. Although we do not have the 5th spot wrapped up yet.  West Virginia only has five losses and their schedule has a lot of games that they can win.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 09:10:03 PM »
I'll take the 4 seed under any circumstances. I don't give a rip who they play in their 1st game. Just give me that Thursday game start instead of Wednesday afternoon and I'm happy.  ;D
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 09:46:58 PM »
anything, please, but an 8/9

chapman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 10:05:15 PM »
The fourth seed.  It implies we win out to get it.  I'd rather win out, get the first round bye, and then take our chances with fifth-seeded Notre Dame (since they're very unlikely to fall below that).  If ND plays well, maybe we're playing fifth-seeded Georgetown, who we would have already beaten.  If we somehow were put in this scenario and won a game after the bye, our conference record would be a stellar 14-6.

If we're the fifth seed, we get to play the 12 seed.  Winning that and then being in a favorable matchup with ND wouldn't be half bad, since we get two wins in the tournament.  But I would much rather get an extra win against GT or at Syracuse and a bye than losing to GT or Syracuse and getting that "extra win" against a lesser team. 

I really don't want to fall below the 5 seed.  The possibility for a Crean-esque first-round exit only becomes greater, and the probability of playing a team like Louisville in the second round seems greater at this point.  Plus it implies we probably lost two games down the stretch, which combined with a second round exit puts our BE record at 12-8.  12-8 and the 6th place team in the Big East is looking at the 8/9 matchup.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 01:07:59 AM »
I've always felt like it's good for a team to lose before the tournament (see UAB loss in 03).

That turned out OK, but my goodness was watching 32 turnovers from about 10 rows behind the MU bench really frustrating that day.
GO WARRIORS!

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 06:48:38 AM »
To be honest, I could give a rip about the conference tournament. I've always felt like it's good for a team to lose before the tournament (see UAB loss in 03). In that scenario, I'd take the 5 seed. That way MU should get at least one win, and if they beat the 4 seed it's gravy.

If we loose early in the BE tourny again, we will get screwed in the real tournament seeding.  I do not want to be an 8/9 again.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 11:40:57 AM »
All you have to do in the conference tourney is avoid the upset. Like I said, win the one you're supposed to, and if you win the next one its gravy.

feedback