[Today at 11:12:06 AM]

[Paint Touches] Love in the time of the Portal Kombat by frozena pizza
[Today at 08:33:37 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Jay Bee
[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Blurb On Future Walk-On Tony Walls  (Read 4094 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Blurb On Future Walk-On Tony Walls
« on: February 17, 2008, 02:35:03 PM »
Marquette Men's Soccer announced their signees for next year including future basketball walk on Tony Walls.

http://gomarquette.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/021508aab.html

spartan3186

• All American
Re: Blurb On Future Walk-On Tony Walls
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 11:30:15 PM »
I'm pretty sure he can not walk-on to the basketball team. The scholarship would be charged to basketball I believe

chapman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 11:56:28 PM »
I'm pretty sure he can not walk-on to the basketball team. The scholarship would be charged to basketball I believe

It was already reported last April he would be a "preferred" walk-on, meaning he doesn't have to try out and he's going to have a spot on the basketball team.  I don't know how the rules work that allow him to take up a scholarship for soccer (which I presume he's getting a full, though it could be a partial) and not for basketball.  I'm not sure where the loophole is shut off to prevent an extra scholarship to be given out for soccer or track, only to have the player sit on the bench the entire season and play basketball regularly, but knowing the NCAA there's probably a 60 page section devoted to just that in the rulebook.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 12:25:40 AM »
13.6.2.6.5 Multiple-Sport Prospective Student-Athletes. A prospective student-athlete in football
and one or more other sports (including basketball or baseball) shall be counted against the visit limitation
in football. A prospective student-athlete in basketball and one or more other sports (other than football)
shall be counted against the visit limitation in basketball. A prospective student-athlete in baseball and one
or more other sports (other than football or basketball) shall be counted against the visit limitation in baseball.
(Revised:1/12/99 effective 8/1/99)
Straight from the NCAA rule-book. If he plays basketball the scholarship counts towards basketball
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 12:27:17 AM by spartan3186 »

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 12:34:12 AM »
Actually that was the official visit rule my bad... Heres the scholarship rule...

15.5.8.2 Basketball. A counter who practices or competes in basketball and one or more other sports (other
than football) shall be counted in basketball.

and

15.5.8.7.1 Requirement to Qualify as Multiple-Sport Athlete. To be considered a multiple-sport
athlete under this section, an individual must meet all of the following requirements:
(a) The individual shall report and participate fully in regularly organized practice with each squad;
(b) The individual shall participate where qualified in actual competition in each sport;
(c) The individual shall be a member of each squad for the entire playing and practice season; and
(d) If a recruited student-athlete, the individual shall have been earnestly recruited to participate in the
sport in which financial aid is counted (the institution recruiting the student-athlete shall have a reasonable
basis to believe that the student-athlete is capable of participating in the institution’s varsity
intercollegiate program in that sport, including documentation of a record of previous participation
in organized competition in the sport that supports the student-athlete’s potential to participate in
that sport in varsity intercollegiate competition.)

chapman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 12:43:34 AM »
Actually that was the official visit rule my bad... Heres the scholarship rule...

15.5.8.2 Basketball. A counter who practices or competes in basketball and one or more other sports (other
than football) shall be counted in basketball.

and

15.5.8.7.1 Requirement to Qualify as Multiple-Sport Athlete. To be considered a multiple-sport
athlete under this section, an individual must meet all of the following requirements:
(a) The individual shall report and participate fully in regularly organized practice with each squad;
(b) The individual shall participate where qualified in actual competition in each sport;
(c) The individual shall be a member of each squad for the entire playing and practice season; and
(d) If a recruited student-athlete, the individual shall have been earnestly recruited to participate in the
sport in which financial aid is counted (the institution recruiting the student-athlete shall have a reasonable
basis to believe that the student-athlete is capable of participating in the institution’s varsity
intercollegiate program in that sport, including documentation of a record of previous participation
in organized competition in the sport that supports the student-athlete’s potential to participate in
that sport in varsity intercollegiate competition.)

That tells me that Tony Walls had to have been "earnestly recruited" to play basketball to receive a basketball scholarship.  He was "earnestly recruited" to play soccer, thus his "financial aid", aka scholarship, counts for soccer.  Crean telling him that he can walk-on to the basketball team and essentially take Tommy Brice's spot if he takes a scholarship to play soccer for Coach Bennett is far from the definition of "earnest recruiting".

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 12:51:34 AM »
Doesn't matter, If he plays basketball then the scholarship goes to basketball.. at least thats my understanding of the rule.. I just don't see him playing B-Ball we shall see I suppose

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 07:32:47 AM »
Perhaps its not safe to assume he will be on scholarship. Not sure whey that would be the case, but maybe he is paying his own way...

Having signed either the National Letter of Intent or an Acceptance of Admission to attend Marquette University and play for the Golden Eagles next season are...

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 08:39:58 AM »
It's a safe bet that the MU Compliance Officer has this all figured out.  No way a walk-on takes up a full or partial scholarship.  If he did .. they would do without his services.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 08:46:52 AM »
Are you guys really discussing the status of a walk on?

ToddPacker

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 09:13:43 AM »
Better than whining about TC or the nickname issue ad nauseum. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys

HarveysWallbangers

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 01:45:04 PM »

This is a clear attempt to hijack this thread!!

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 02:20:55 PM »

This is a clear attempt to hijack this thread!!
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 10:02:15 PM »
Maybe he will only be practicing with the basketball team. If he does not play in games, I do not think the scholarship question matters. With all the guards we have, we do not need him for games.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 11:02:47 PM »
Are you even a walk on then if you just fill in or practice?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 12:45:44 AM »
Are you even a walk on then if you just fill in or practice?

Yeah, wouldn't that make Terry Sanders a walk-on, since he apparently takes a break from his smoothie stand and shows up to work out with the team every so often? 

Anyway, here's the original article about Walls. http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=596980
After doing a quick search of his high school basketball career, I'm led to believe Tommy Brice could take this kid to the cleaners, and if he is indeed walking on to the basketball team it was a "favor" to get a good player to commit to the soccer program. 

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 11:27:23 AM »
Wasn't Marcus West a "preferred" walk on on a soccer scholarship?

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 01:13:53 PM »
I didn't think my thread on a walk-on would create so much debate!

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 01:38:20 PM »
I'm fairly certain West was a soccer scholarship athlete and did walk on the basketball team.  He played more than most walk ons and was a good athlete.  Maybe the rules have changed since then.