[Today at 11:12:06 AM]

[Paint Touches] Love in the time of the Portal Kombat by frozena pizza
[Today at 08:33:37 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Jay Bee
[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MUST win at ST. John's  (Read 4992 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
MUST win at ST. John's
« on: February 16, 2008, 04:03:53 PM »
We still have a tough road ahead of us, at Syracuse who could be playing for their NCAA lives, at Nova will not be easy at all, G'Town at home.

MUST win at St. John's and then take care of Rutgers at home.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: MUST win at ST. John's
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 04:07:41 PM »
Every game is a must win.

I hope we don't slip up because MSG is a tough place to play.
SS Marquette

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 04:12:42 PM »
Every game is a must win.

I hope we don't slip up because MSG is a tough place to play.

I expect a pretty decent amount of MU fans at the Garden. The Johnnies will not have much of a home court for this one.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 11:08:27 PM »
Did have to check that it's at the Garden. One of only six games SJU is playing at the Garden this year; they're only playing five of their nine BE games at MSG. Imagine what the BE would be like nationally if SJU and DePaul both had some buzz going right now and New York and Chicago were into college basketball like they were 20-30 years ago.
GO WARRIORS!

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 12:39:24 PM »
We still have a tough road ahead of us, at Syracuse who could be playing for their NCAA lives, at Nova will not be easy at all, G'Town at home.

MUST win at St. John's and then take care of Rutgers at home.

No it's not.  This is the third game in a row that people are saying this about.  I agreed with the last two.  But unless we "must" get a first round bye then it isn't a "must win".  A first round bye doesn't make or break our season so I wouldn't count this as such.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 12:55:30 PM »
I agree with RawDogDX.  It is a game we "should win" but by no means is a "must win".

If we lost to St. John's then won out (vs GT, @Nova, @Cuse) we would still be sitting pretty to the selection committee. 

I guess it does all depend on what you consider must win.  For me it's if you lose this game you will not be in the tournament regardless of what happens.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 01:02:48 PM »
I'm off the "must win" bandwagon. I think we've taken care of business the last two games and we're in pretty damn good shape. A loss to the Redmen would be bad, but not disastrous. It's not going to happen, though.

4everwarriors

• All American
Less Hair Now...
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 01:14:09 PM »
from playing with it on fire the last couple of games. ;D
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
its a must win only cause theres games that are gonna be very tough wins, tougher than at st j's, coming up. I dont think winning at villanova will be that easy, and i dont buy that they are done cause they can still go .500 and have a nice run in the conf tourney and get in. GT at home is clearly tough, @cuse is just as tough. You dont wanna end your conf season going 1-4. Atleast if you win at st j's you go 2-3 at worst and still finish 10-8.

if this team is gonna consider itself a serious contender in the conf tourney and a top 5 or 6 seed in the big dance it must win games against teams that are 10-14

ps... i dont see less than 8 teams getting into the dance from the BE unless something dramatic happens. Gtown, Louisville, uconn, ND, MU, Pitt, WVU, are gonna be in with atleast a .500 record in conf. Syr should be in, but their schedule is pretty tough and they still need 2 more wins in conference

Villanova is interesting, because they have 3 home games coming up against WVU, Uconn, and MU...they win those 3, or even 2 of 3, and they could finish 9-9 also

could we see 9 BE teams??

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 01:50:41 PM »
I think the SJU game (which is at the MSG per the media guide) is a must win.  A loss would be our first "bad" loss for NCAA tourney considerations as SJU has an RPI of 149.  Also, more importantly, a loss would change the direction of MU's momentum going down the stretch.  Its one thing to lose at "Nova or the "Cuse; but @ SJU could be a real momnetum killer.  In the end, this is a "must win" (even though we probably still make the NCAAs) in my estimation.

romey

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 02:14:43 PM »
It all depends on your definition of "Must Win" as several of you have already stated.  As a matter of fact, we have had previous posts for previous games where the games were referred to as "must wins," haven't we?  Did we win them?  If not, what has the affect been?  We're still here, we're still battling for a high seed in our BET and the NCAA's.   If we lose, our season isn't over.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 02:40:21 PM »
I say "must win" against St. Johns, Rutgers, AND Villanova.  The team should only really lose one more game, and that's likely against either Georgetown or Syracuse.

You have to beat the teams you're supposed to beat.  St. Johns probably won't even make the BET.

Besides, the team "must win" just so that we don't have to put up with the message board meltdown that would occur.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

murambler

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 03:02:13 PM »
MUST WIN for multiple reasons:

1)  we're playing for the bye - a loss to anyone other than Georgetown OR Syracuse would pretty much seal our fate
     2)  we haven't put together a lengthy win streak in a while and it would sure be a nice to present the selection committee with a stong late-season
          streak
     3)  to continue to build the confidence of this team... as fast and as much as the team's confidence grew from the Pitt game, a loss to SJU could shake
          their confidence just as fast

Pardner

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 03:33:37 PM »
GOTTA WIN...

Maybe not for the BET, but for a NCAA seed.  A sixth place in the BE, which may come with a loss, could put us in the 8-12 NCAAA range, unless we win out in the BET.  I think we should be a 3-5 seed which puts us in a better spot to make a NCAA run--so a strong finish is a critical.  A sixth in conference isn't going to get us a favorable slot.  A loss to SJ sinks us like an anchor.  Won't happen.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 03:45:12 PM »
anthony mason jr can be tough ~ I hope senior doesnt attend
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008, 04:51:30 PM »
I'm off the "must win" bandwagon. I think we've taken care of business the last two games and we're in pretty damn good shape. A loss to the Redmen would be bad, but not disastrous. It's not going to happen, though.

I look at it this way, I'd much rather "must win" against the Johnnies then have to win one of those other games....take care of the next two, plus Florida gulf coast, then try to get 1 of the other 3 or even 2 of those 3.

I'd hate to lose to St. John's and then all of a sudden having to win at Nova or at Syracuse...not to get into the tournament mind you, but to keep things on the level.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008, 05:21:57 PM »
This is our easiest road game left so it is a must win.  I don't expect it to be easy after watching Rutgers and South Florida almost pull out wins against ND and UConn.

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 08:28:16 PM »
Anybody in NYC going to this game??  May have our company's skybox at the Gahhhhden.  Living the dream   8-)

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2008, 09:59:03 PM »
There really aren't many easy games in the BEast - the bottom feeders have been doing well as of late - so we MUST take ST Johns to the mat, and take them out early.  We need to keep winning and keep playing with great intensity!

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2008, 10:12:51 PM »
I'd say it's a must win, since any losses down the stretch would more than likely resurrect Murf's "record after the first loss in February" discussion, and we don't want that!!!!!

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2008, 09:09:00 AM »
First off, I want to win every single game. That doesn't make every game a 'must win' however.  I think for a game to be a 'must win' game, a fan must be willing to take a one point victory and be satisfied.

Seton Hall was a must win.  We'd lost back to back games.  Three in a row would have dropped us to .500 in conference, put us outside the top 25 and squarely on the NCAA bubble.  I would have taken a close win, an ugly win, any win.

St. John's is not a 'must win'.  I feel it's a game we should win and will win, but I'd be disappointed with a one point victory.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2008, 11:20:47 AM »
First off, I want to win every single game. That doesn't make every game a 'must win' however.  I think for a game to be a 'must win' game, a fan must be willing to take a one point victory and be satisfied.

Seton Hall was a must win.  We'd lost back to back games.  Three in a row would have dropped us to .500 in conference, put us outside the top 25 and squarely on the NCAA bubble.  I would have taken a close win, an ugly win, any win.

St. John's is not a 'must win'.  I feel it's a game we should win and will win, but I'd be disappointed with a one point victory.

Considering ND and UConn had troubles on the road against the bottom feeders of the league, I dont think any game is a gimmie.  This is probably our 2nd easiest conference game left on the schedule so I consider this game a must win and would gladly take a one point win on the road.  My concern is that every year no matter how good we are, we always have that one bad loss.  I don't think we have one this year and St. Johns, Rutgers and FGC are the only 3 remaining games left that would be considered bad losses.  I am confident in beating Rutgers and FGC at home.  At Villanova will be tough, at Syracuse extremely tough.  I have less concern against Georgetown because it is at home and we will be psyched to play them. Its St. John's that is a classic trap game that I am worried about. 

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2008, 09:48:26 PM »
We have to maintain our relentless pursuit of the ball on defense, and we need to hit a good percentage of our outside shots.  If we do, we will do well so let's go!

GO MARQUETTE!!

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2008, 07:15:33 AM »
This is our easiest road game left so it is a must win.  I don't expect it to be easy after watching Rutgers and South Florida almost pull out wins against ND and UConn.

These are unrelated to our situation.  UConn is playing with fire lately, just turning it on when they need to.  Almost all of their wins have been very tight ones on this streak, excluding us of course.

I don't believe in must wins until a loss means your season is over, but St. John's is close to a must win.  Rutgers and Gulf Coast are almost certain Ws, but Georgetown, at Nova and at Syracuse are all 50-50 type games.  Lose to Saint John's and go 1-2 in those games (I'd guess we'll go 2-1 or 1-2, equally likely), and we are 10-8 in BE and 21-9 overall and in need of a win or two in the Big East tournament to secure our NCAA berth.  ND missed last year with a 10-6 BE mark, didn't they?
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

EmJ5

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2008, 10:20:00 AM »
ND missed last year with a 10-6 BE mark, didn't they?

ND was a 6 seed in the NCAA tourney last year...

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2008, 12:32:00 PM »
i believe Cuse was 10-6 and missed, even with beating G-town in their last regular season game...

feedback