[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] MU lifts redshirt on Mbakwe; will play tonight  (Read 15913 times)

nyg

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] MU lifts redshirt on Mbakwe; will play tonight
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2008, 06:59:29 PM »
Question.  Does he start?

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2008, 07:26:33 PM »
No, save the energy for later. The place is going to explode!

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2008, 10:22:14 PM »
Chicos -- it doesn't take an "agenda" to question this decision and it's got nothing to do with the strength of his knee. It's about him losing an entire year of eligibility in exchange for less than 10 games. And you know that!

It does, however,  take an agenda to disingenuously imply that Crean is putting Mbakwe at risk.

Your Quote: "I hope we're not putting our possible status as a bubble team ahead of a young man's health/future."

How would putting a player into the game who has BEEN CLEARED BY THE DOCTORS have anything at all to do with his health?  Yet, that is what you immediately zeroed in on.

And I'm not sure why you, of all people, would worry about only playing in 10 games--according to you none of the non-conference games were worth playing anyway!

NOW you're trying to suggest that Mbwakwe is losing some great one-in-a-lifetime opportunity because he missed this year's pre-season?

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 10:24:55 PM by Marquette84 »

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2008, 12:02:38 AM »
Ouse had a hell of a game offensively and defensively.  Mbakwe didn't get the quadruple double a lot of us would have liked to see,  ;D but for a freshman playing his first Big East game coming off a supposedly season-ending injury against a team like Pitt, Mbakwe did an alright job.  He wasn't pushed around on defense...sure he was scored on a couple times, but he contested the shots well. 

St. John's should be a nice tune-up game for Mbakwe.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2008, 12:11:21 AM »
Really....you're the only one that has us on the bubble....no one else does.  What's so desperate about it.
i'm not taking away from this win. i really did expect mu to win this game, not by as much, but i did expect a 'w'. before this game how were they not on the bubble? that's all they were. with a loss they would've been up you know what creek w/o a paddle... they would've had to run the tables practically it seems.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2008, 12:23:46 AM »
Confirmed from Trevor himself....he didn't want to be in college for 5 years.  It was his decision, did not want to redshirt.  That's why he's playing now.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2008, 07:28:39 AM »
Well, PRN, you were totally right. It's a questionable move and Crean should have kept him out even if he wanted to play.

errr....

"I knew I was going to come back, but we didn't predict it until the St. John's game next week," said Mbakwe. "This was earlier than we decided. I had worked out with the physical therapist and the doctor on Wednesday, Thursday I practiced with the team for the first time and then Thursday night (the doctor) told me he'd clear me to play, that everything was good and he didn't have a problem with me playing."

From there, he informed coach Tom Crean of his decision to play despite having already missed two-thirds of the season.

"Me and Coach had always talked about me coming back, so coach knew about it," he said. "He was happy. He knew the importance of the decision, me possibly losing a year, but he didn't give me a time table.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2008, 07:34:12 AM »
sure looks like it lit a fire under Ooze if nothing else! helluva game from Barro. Can't help but think the pressure that was going to be on him from the beginning of the year has come back the past few games and he has answered.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2008, 09:34:50 PM »
I don't see TM pressuring Ooze- one's a power forward used at center, and one's a power forward.  If anything, their play could be complementary, not exclusionary...

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2008, 03:25:42 PM »
Unless he is NBA-bound, we are giving up 30+ games when he is 22 or 23 for 8-12 reduced minute games when he is 18 or 19.  (I don't know how old he is).  That's a bad trade for MU unless we are pretty certain he wouldn't play in the 2011-12 season.

I've got to admit that this was my first reaction -- why is Crean giving up a year of TM just to let him play a few minutes a game for the rest of the year.  But then  I thought more about it, and I love the decision.  Less focus on Marquette and more focus on TM.  I really hope it works well.  But I think many of the people who oppose this decision are thinking about what's best for the team -- four full years with TM, and maybe not so much what is best for TM -- achieving his goal to get back on the floor and rejoining the team.  Good for him.

I really respect this decision by Crean (even though my first reaction was to criticize it).  Once TM got clearance, if he really wants to play, then Crean should let him play and give him all the minutes he earns.  If Crean told him "no" I think that would be an extremely selfish decision.  Telling TM no would be kind of like saying, "I own you for four years, and I'm not going to let you cheat me out of 20 games."  TM earned this, and he deserves it.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2008, 03:32:35 PM »
wow, I hate to say this, and sincerely hope I end up eating my words, but I think Mbakwe may be ready to return to practice, but doubt that he's suddenly able to contribute to the team's game.  Acker practiced all last year w/ team and is just starting to meld w/the team's chemistry.  How can a frosh, unable to practice until now, suddenly contribute?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2008, 03:42:35 PM »
Mbakwe knows most of the sets, according to TC.   Anybody watching the game saw he was in the right spot most of the time.  If his timing and wind were right, he has 4-5 rebounds.   It was mentioned somewhere else and it appeared on tv that he is taller than Burke and nearly as tall as Fitz.    He showed hops and heart.    He brings a serviceable big man RIGHT NOW to a team that needs one.  He may only play to the level of Burke for the next few games.  Another big body that will only get better.   If we go deep in the BEast tourney and get through the first weekend of the dance, by the second weekend, he will be very useful indeed as we get up against some teams with lots of bigs.  The only downside is if he injures himself.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2008, 04:03:53 PM »
IDK, Tower, he's only 6'7"..., and from what I saw, he was in the wrong place offensively more often than not (frustration on Matthew's face as he pointed out where Trevor should have been for the pass that went o-o-bs underlines this).  I too am eager to see some contribution from him, but am not willing to place undue expectations on his return to practice.  In HS, he was a dominant force, in the BEast, he's a smallish 4 that will become a contributor.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2008, 09:54:44 PM »
He has all the potential of Lazar - so if he develops as well as Lazar has, we have two great forewards - but he is only 6 -7 so he is not a big BIG. lol - but he will be a major contributor I think

chapman

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2008, 12:13:16 AM »
He has all the potential of Lazar - so if he develops as well as Lazar has, we have two great forewards - but he is only 6 -7 so he is not a big BIG. lol - but he will be a major contributor I think

A good comparison-not by the type of player, but in development.  After not being allowed to work out with the team until about a month before the season started, Lazar averaged 6.6 points and 3.6 rebounds.  He also scored 5 or less points in 16 games.  So much of his slow start was blamed on not being able to workout with the team until a month before his first game. 

Since it might have slipped our minds (credit to a Cracked Sidewalks search for the reminder) Mbakwe also had to wait to be cleared until just before official practices began.  Then, three weeks later he had surgery.  He started practicing again more than three months later, two days before his first game.  So all in all, despite the well-known Clearinghouse issues, Hayward had more total practice experience with the team before his first game than Mbakwe did, Hayward had a month of practice before his first game versus two days, and Hayward never had surgery.  Makes Mbakwe's first game look a lot better, and looking at Lazar now, it makes Mbakwe's future look a lot brighter.

wiscwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2008, 08:04:56 AM »
Someone mentioned, and I agree, TM playing and getting experience in 9 plus games this year will make MU all that much better next year. We shouldn't worry about three years down the road.

We're just like a pro team trading for a player for the playoffs and it is what Trevor wants.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2008, 11:46:58 AM »
Props to him for working hard at his rehab and being ready to play games this year.  Despite not seeing much from him in his first game, I won't read anything into it.  I'll bet he'll be ahead of Burke on the depth chart by the end of the year.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2008, 12:42:07 PM »
Props to him for working hard at his rehab and being ready to play games this year.  Despite not seeing much from him in his first game, I won't read anything into it.  I'll bet he'll be ahead of Burke on the depth chart by the end of the year.

If so, let's hope he earns it.

feedback