[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] MU lifts redshirt on Mbakwe; will play tonight  (Read 15912 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] MU lifts redshirt on Mbakwe; will play tonight
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2008, 04:21:14 PM »
There will be two occasions when this decision can truly be judged upon:

Late March/Early April 2008

Late March/Early April 2011

Let's enjoy it for now, big game tonight, even if Trevor wasn't suiting up. Still have to find a way to take down Pitt.

MU NY

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2008, 04:21:44 PM »
Great "Willis Reed walks out of the tunnel," moment for the team.  If this kid can fight his way back from injury, the least his mates can do is give him their very best effort until the final whistle!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2008, 04:23:40 PM »
By the way, this REEKS of desperation.

Really....you're the only one that has us on the bubble....no one else does.  What's so desperate about it.

We are favored to win tonight without Mbakwe.  He's not going to be a difference maker tonight most likely.  I don't see how this is desperate move.  We will be favored in every remaining game this season sans 1 or 2, without Mbakwe...so what exactly is "desperate" about it?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2008, 04:27:23 PM »

Only by people with an agenda.   The only way he is cleared to play is if the doctors say he is cleared to play.  It's quite simple.

Doctors and the university are not going to clear him if the knee isn't ready.  The knee is ready, the doctors have cleared him.  They've decided to let him play.  That's a MEDICAL clearance, not a coaching clearance.  Yes, Crean could say no, he's still not going to play.  But the point is if he were to get hurt, then that injury is not a result of "rushing him back" or whatever some are suggesting....he's either cleared to play or he isn't...by qualified medical staff.

Good luck to Trevor, glad to see he has healed to the point the doctors are good to go with him playing.
Chicos,

I have a no agenda on this board  ... But, I don't agree with this decision. Does that make me a Crean hater???

Even though he was medically cleared, any future problems with his knee, whether or not caused by action this season, will IMO be blamed on this decision ... Right or wrong.

I believe Trevor will help, but how much?? Remember we are talking about a true freshman, who has yet to play one minute of college basketball. I understand he wanted to play, but was this decision in his best interest (health reasons aside). You only get four years to play.
[/quote]

I don't think you have an agenda, it was more of a statement for others.  If a doctor says he's cleared to play, he's cleared to play.  The blame would come down on the medical professional, which is also why the medical professional is going to make DAMN SURE he's ready to play.

I agree, you only have 4 years to play...I also get the feeling Trevor would like to get it done in 4 years or less, not 5 which is what would be required if he redshirted.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2008, 04:33:27 PM »
What's next - is Wade coming back to use up his remaining years of eligibility?

No...they're saving Wade for Georgetown.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2008, 04:42:31 PM »
Chicos, I agree that if problems do occur because of this decision that the medical staff has to take the blame. Unfortunately, in the court of public opinion TC will take the fall.

I don't think TC cares too much about public opinion, but if something happens people (specially other college coaches) will definitely use this against him. I can see the spin now "Crean rushes players back from injuries" "Cares more about winning than players health", etc.

I see this as a very risky decision, one that could come back to haunt the program. I pray that it doesn't happen.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2008, 04:48:32 PM »
I don't think TC cares too much about public opinion...

I do. And I think the "no NCAA wins with out Wade" label is hanging over his head like a Wisconsin snow cloud.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2008, 04:51:28 PM »
Good Lord -- I hope we're not putting our possible status as a bubble team ahead of a young man's health/future.

This is a real head-scratcher. We've got 7 games left! 

If Trevor has future problems with the knee, this decision will be questioned forever.

Only by people with an agenda.   The only way he is cleared to play is if the doctors say he is cleared to play.  It's quite simple.

Doctors and the university are not going to clear him if the knee isn't ready.  The knee is ready, the doctors have cleared him.  They've decided to let him play.  That's a MEDICAL clearance, not a coaching clearance.  Yes, Crean could say no, he's still not going to play.  But the point is if he were to get hurt, then that injury is not a result of "rushing him back" or whatever some are suggesting....he's either cleared to play or he isn't...by qualified medical staff.

Good luck to Trevor, glad to see he has healed to the point the doctors are good to go with him playing.
Chicos,

I have a no agenda on this board  ... But, I don't agree with this decision. Does that make me a Crean hater???

Even though he was medically cleared, any future problems with his knee, whether or not caused by action this season, will IMO be blamed on this decision ... Right or wrong.

I believe Trevor will help, but how much?? Remember we are talking about a true freshman, who has yet to play one minute of college basketball. I understand he wanted to play, but was this decision in his best interest (health reasons aside). You only get four years to play.

A healthly Mbakwe hopefully means Burke and Blackledge don't have to step foot on the court.  That's enough help for my liking.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2008, 04:52:35 PM »
Today is the greatest day of my life!

ceh

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2008, 04:54:41 PM »
I agree that it's TMB's decision.  Maybe he's not interested in staying at MU for a full 5 years.

I am, however, very excited to see this kid play. 

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2008, 04:57:05 PM »
Good Lord -- I hope we're not putting our possible status as a bubble team ahead of a young man's health/future.

This is a real head-scratcher. We've got 7 games left! 

If Trevor has future problems with the knee, this decision will be questioned forever.

Chicos,

A healthly Mbakwe hopefully means Burke and Blackledge don't have to step foot on the court.  That's enough help for my liking.

Solid point.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2008, 04:57:50 PM »
This is a great, great move. While I honestly did enjoy the fact that he didn't lose a year of eligibility, the fact that he's coming in and can get minutes and help the team now is huge.

For all the people slamming on MU's lack of downlow presence, this is welcome news.

Finally, someone that can (supposedly) score with his back to the basket.

Uhh, Dwight? Yeah, that open seat down at the end of the bench...uhhh, why don't you take that for a while.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2008, 05:00:07 PM »
Quote from: PuertoRicanNightmare link

I seriously think Crean goes practically mental when ESPN comes to town.
[/quote

Sooooooo true!

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2008, 05:00:37 PM »
The thing that cracks me up is that all these people that say Crean should not let him do this would be ALL over Crean if it came out Mbakwe could have played and Crean said no.

I can see it now....what? Crean had an opportunity to win with this squad and he passed up his chance? You only get so many opportunities, etc...

LovinCrowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2008, 05:05:05 PM »

Can't you just hear the crowd already????  I am so fired up for this.  I hope when they introduce him, the noise is deafening.  I know I'll be screaming my lungs out.  Enjoy the game everyone. 

WE  ARE MARQUETTE!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 05:06:55 PM by warriorette »

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2008, 05:06:29 PM »
Great call MU Dish.

Let's enjoy this for now and not arm-chair QB it. For God's sake, nobody said any of this crap about potentially hurting his future when James or McNeal ever played with an injury. What about Cube's ankle? Nobody said anything about that.

Stuff happens. Let's enjoy tonight's game and hope for the best.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2008, 05:12:36 PM »
Guys, let's stop the ripping on Burke and others....these guys are student athetes busting their asses.  Burke was a monster against Wisconsin, and quite frankly he earned his scholarship this year on that performance alone for me.  Barro has been up and down, but at times terrific.  Trend is raw, but a spark.

Mbakwe is going to take a few minutes from these guys, but not all....we will need each of the bigs to help us down the stretch.

Boognish_MU

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2008, 05:17:40 PM »
Today is the greatest day of my life!

Oh man.. after a tough day at work... this news is awesome.

Tampa Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2008, 05:40:31 PM »
Guys, let's stop the ripping on Burke and others....these guys are student athetes busting their asses.  Burke was a monster against Wisconsin, and quite frankly he earned his scholarship this year on that performance alone for me.  Barro has been up and down, but at times terrific.  Trend is raw, but a spark.

Agreed entirely.

As far as the move with Trevor, it seems like a definite "go for it" thing. My initial response was negative, in terms of wasting a year of eligibility. Then again, I felt that Christopherson should have been redshirted as well.

When Mbwake has a monster game in the big dance, I will feel very good about this.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2008, 06:00:50 PM »
If anyone thinks this wasn't well thought out, and discussed to death with all concerned parties, you're nuts. Tom Crean is not exactly the "Oh what the hell" type.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2008, 06:04:02 PM »
Point to ponder.   11 months ago, Jerel was begging and pleading to be allowed to play in the NCAA tournament.   The doctors did not sign off on it, so TC would not allow it.    For Trevor to be playing now, the doctors must have given a clean bill of health, and Trevor must have shown TC that he realllllllly wants it.  Then TC signed off.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tampa Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2008, 06:06:10 PM »
Tom Crean is not exactly the "Oh what the hell" type.

But many fans are  :)

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2008, 06:06:29 PM »
PRN you are hopeless.

This decision made ultimately by Crean is one of the ballsiest moves Ive seen when it comes to personell decisions. This can come back to haunt crean and make him look like the biggest idiot, esp in the eyes of haters like you

YET, Crean decides to go for it. How can you not appreciate that. The only way this pays off is if the team makes it to atleast the Elite 8. Crean loses a yr of eligibility on one of his inside 'studs' and risks many things, but he does it anyway.

Whether its smart or not I cant say, we will see in March. It is a decision that only a risk-taking coach would make, and I love it.

PS- lets see if this guys is 1/8 of what we already annointed him to be

PSS- I am SHOCKED

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2008, 06:16:25 PM »
There are two issues in this matter.

1. Health- TM has been cleared to practice and  obviously play in a game. What's the difference if he were to get hurt in practice as opposed to a game? We obviously hope he doesn't get hurt!

2. Eligibility- I think this issue comes down to the player if it wasn't strictly a developmental issue from the start. I think it's awesome that the guy wants to play this bad.

Adding TM gives us the ability to let Hayward hang outside and bust the zones. The line ups we can put out there will be great if TM can contribute.

Let's go Warriors!

ONeills Barstool

• Starter
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2008, 06:33:46 PM »
The wife asks why I visit the site just prior to a game and I say because there might be some news/information worth reading about. 

5 seconds later.....

HOLY S%^T!!!! like Trevor Mbakwe playing tonight!!!

Wow.  I'm excited to see him play and hope it ends up being a great decision but can certainly see why it is a VERY debatable decision.