[Today at 11:12:06 AM]

[Paint Touches] Love in the time of the Portal Kombat by frozena pizza
[Today at 08:33:37 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Jay Bee
[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] MU lifts redshirt on Mbakwe; will play tonight  (Read 15915 times)

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] MU lifts redshirt on Mbakwe; will play tonight
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2008, 03:52:16 PM »
I f*cking love this move.

If the guy has been cleared to play, then he's been cleared to play.  I trust that the team doctors are looking out for the player. 

All season, the gripe has been that this team needs more size.  Now, in a surprise move, we get the unparalleled force that is Mbakwe.

The window for the team is THIS YEAR.  It's not next year.  It's not when Mbakwe is a senior.

The team has 9+ games left.  That's a lot of basketball to play.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 03:53:48 PM by Henry Sugar »
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2008, 03:53:15 PM »
Good Lord -- I hope we're not putting our possible status as a bubble team ahead of a young man's health/future.

This is a real head-scratcher. We've got 7 games left! 
Mbakwe really wants to play so you want TC to tell him no?

Hell YES!!! Crean is an adult, Mbakwe is a teenager.

Ahhh he was cleared to play by the medical staff not Crean.  What if TC says no and Mbakwe decides to transfer elsewhere?  This is a two way street.  I don't know how much he helps us this year but this will help for next year.  

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2008, 03:55:30 PM »

If the guy has been cleared to play, then he's been cleared to play.  I trust that the team doctors are looking out for the player. 

All season, the gripe has been that this team needs more size.  Now, in a surprise move, we get the unparalleled force that is Mbakwe.

The window for the team is THIS YEAR.  It's not next year.

A. Why is the "window" this year?
B. You realize that what the doctors are saying about his knee and what is best for him as a student-athlete are two different subjects?
C. Do you understand that this is a kid on a college team?

Believe me, I hope it works out. But it is one of the most questionable decisions I've ever seen Crean make.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2008, 03:55:40 PM »
Good Lord -- I hope we're not putting our possible status as a bubble team ahead of a young man's health/future.

If Trevor has future problems with the knee, this decision will be questioned forever.

Only by people with an agenda.   The only way he is cleared to play is if the doctors say he is cleared to play.  It's quite simple.

Doctors and the university are not going to clear him if the knee isn't ready.

Ding! Ding! Ding!
We have a winner.

Before this was Trevor's decision and before it was Crean's decision, this was the doctor's decision. The doctor(s) obviously feel the knee is healed fully, so if things go awry in the future, the blame should be placed on him or her first, not the coach or player relying on his or her medical opinion.

Also, I think it's safe to say Trevor and Tom are aware fully of the tradeoff being made here. Is it debatable? Sure.
Though somehow I suspect that if MU failed to make the tourney and/or suffered another early exit while Trevor was cleared to play, the same people questioning the decision to play him now would be questioning the decision not the play him when this team so sorely needs some inside help. Either way, Crean loses in the minds of some here.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2008, 03:55:57 PM »
Chicos -- it doesn't take an "agenda" to question this decision and it's got nothing to do with the strength of his knee. It's about him losing an entire year of eligibility in exchange for less than 10 games. And you know that!

It's ultimately the kid's decision, that has been clear to all the kids from day one.  If he is cleared and he wants to play, then go for it.  

It's hard for me to not think some here have an agenda on this because 99% of their posts are dripping in it.   Will the 10 games be worth playing?  I don't know....do you expect Trevor to be here all 5 years?  I'm not so sure, which is another reason I think the move is great.  He gets 10 games under his belt, gets him that much closer to being ready next year (look at the Hayward progression from one year to the next), helps us this year as well.

If the doctors weren't certain, I'd totally agree with you.  The doctors are certain, this is a great lift for the team and for this kid who has had to deal with all the nonsense from the Summer school situation...I'm happy for him most.  He gets to play.  That's terrific.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2008, 03:56:47 PM »

Well add 3-4 games for the Big East tourney and then another 6 games for the NCAA tourney, that adds up to 16-17 more games this season.

FIRE UP MARQUETTE!!
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2008, 03:58:38 PM »
Believe me, I hope it works out. But it is one of the most questionable decisions I've ever seen Crean make.

I assume you're basing this on your numerous discussions with team doctors, your personal examination of Trevor's knee and your in-depth conversations with Trevor about his wishes.

Sheesh ... give me a break. Stop now, because you really have no clue what you're talking about and your anti-Crean bias is showing worse than ever.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2008, 04:01:13 PM »
Part of me wishes this wasn't announced, and Trevor pulled a Willis Reed and walked out of the tunnel in uniform, got a pat on the back from Crean, and went and checked into the game.

This has to give the team a morale boost, I'd expect an extra bit of juice out of the players and fans tonight.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2008, 04:02:33 PM »

I assume you're basing this on your numerous discussions with team doctors, your personal examination of Trevor's knee and your in-depth conversations with Trevor about his wishes.

Sheesh ... give me a break. Stop now, because you really have no clue what you're talking about and your anti-Crean bias is showing worse than ever.

I think some of this is based on PRN's dislike for TC.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2008, 04:02:49 PM »
What's next - is Wade coming back to use up his remaining years of eligibility?
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2008, 04:03:32 PM »
This is gonna be very interesting. I don't know what to expect. I must say I thought when his injury happened(it's beens 3.5 months now) that missing the entire season seemed somehwat of an exaggeration. At least for his type of injury. Obviously, though everybody heals differently so time frames for recovery can be hard to make accurately.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2008, 04:04:27 PM »

Pakuni -- yours is an absolutely brainless response. I am not questioning the doctors. If you can find where I did, I'd be interested in seeing it.

I am questioning having him give up a year of eligibility because Crean is afraid of missing the tournament.

Get it? Are you sure? Do you need me to write more clearly?

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2008, 04:05:14 PM »
What's next - is Wade coming back to use up his remaining years of eligibility?

Didn't you hear that the FInal FOur team will be in attendance tonight?  Not only is Wade playing tonight but they determined that Diener had some eligibility left as well from his injury his senior year.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2008, 04:05:29 PM »
By the way, this REEKS of desperation.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2008, 04:05:35 PM »
Chicos -- it doesn't take an "agenda" to question this decision and it's got nothing to do with the strength of his knee. It's about him losing an entire year of eligibility in exchange for less than 10 games. And you know that!

I didn't say you had an agenda...but you are getting a bit defensive on this one.   ;)

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2008, 04:05:43 PM »

If Trevor has future problems with the knee, this decision will be questioned forever.

Only by people with an agenda.   The only way he is cleared to play is if the doctors say he is cleared to play.  It's quite simple.

Doctors and the university are not going to clear him if the knee isn't ready.  The knee is ready, the doctors have cleared him.  They've decided to let him play.  That's a MEDICAL clearance, not a coaching clearance.  Yes, Crean could say no, he's still not going to play.  But the point is if he were to get hurt, then that injury is not a result of "rushing him back" or whatever some are suggesting....he's either cleared to play or he isn't...by qualified medical staff.

Good luck to Trevor, glad to see he has healed to the point the doctors are good to go with him playing.
Chicos,

I have a no agenda on this board  ... But, I don't agree with this decision. Does that make me a Crean hater???

Even though he was medically cleared, any future problems with his knee, whether or not caused by action this season, will IMO be blamed on this decision ... Right or wrong.

I believe Trevor will help, but how much?? Remember we are talking about a true freshman, who has yet to play one minute of college basketball. I understand he wanted to play, but was this decision in his best interest (health reasons aside). You only get four years to play.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2008, 04:05:54 PM »
While I don't like losing a year of eligibility for a freshman this late, I will say that I for all for letting McNeal play against Michigan State last year when he was shooting left-handed trying to get into the lineup.  One of my arguments then was it's pretty hard to tell a kid he has to wait 8 months to play again.  For Mbakwe it's 9 months, and he's also healthy.  Much harder to tell him not to play when he never conceded the season.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2008, 04:06:03 PM »

B. You realize that what the doctors are saying about his knee and what is best for him as a student-athlete are two different subjects?

hmmm...

If:
- the Doctors cleared him to play
- he wants to play
- he's good enough to merit minutes

Then:
- Crean can still stop him from playing

But:
- Then MU risks the chance of an unhappy camper and possible transfer (ie the coaching staff isn't listening to the kid, so why would he want to stay)

Then:
- People would rip Crean for not playing the kid and making him transfer

I'm just saying... no matter how you look at it, some people are going to blame Crean.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2008, 04:07:40 PM »

Pakuni -- yours is an absolutely brainless response. I am not questioning the doctors. If you can find where I did, I'd be interested in seeing it.

I am questioning having him give up a year of eligibility because Crean is afraid of missing the tournament.

No this is you always trying to put a negative spin on everything.  TC is not afraid of missing the tourny.  It looks like you are the only one who feels MU is on the bubble.  This has to do with the fact that the medical team cleared Mbakwe and that Mbakwe wants to play this year.  I don't know how much he helps us this year if any but I guess we are going to find out.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2008, 04:11:32 PM »

hmmm...

If:
- he wants to play

Then:

But:
- Then MU risks the chance of an unhappy camper and possible transfer (ie the coaching staff isn't listening to the kid, so why would he want to stay)

Then:

I'm just saying... no matter how you look at it, some people are going to blame Crean.

Actually, now that you mention it, the ONLY reason this decision would make a lick of sense would be if the coaching staff was sensing Trevor is unhappy and was a candidate to transfer. That is the ONLY justification I can think of.

This kid is going to get like 10 minutes a game for the rest of the year.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2008, 04:13:51 PM »
I'm with PRN on this one.  

First off, how effective do you think he is really going to be after not having played for a year and never having played college ball?  There's a reason besides money that we play those powder puffs early.  

Second, I don't think he is going to see a ton of minutes.  Unless he is NBA-bound, we are giving up 30+ games when he is 22 or 23 for 8-12 reduced minute games when he is 18 or 19.  (I don't know how old he is).  That's a bad trade for MU unless we are pretty certain he wouldn't play in the 2011-12 season.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2008, 04:16:15 PM »

hmmm...

If:
- he wants to play

Then:

But:

Then:

Actually, now that you mention it, the ONLY reason this decision would make a lick of sense would be if the coaching staff was sensing Trevor is unhappy and was a candidate to transfer. That is the ONLY justification I can think of.

Or Trevor set a goal of coming back this season as he wanted to play. He met the goal. So he decided not to redshirt as he wants to play. What, Crean is supposed to say since a kid met his goal and wants to play this year?
But I like to throw handfuls...

chapman

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2008, 04:17:02 PM »

I can see it both ways.  On one hand, if Trevor really wants to play, is he going to be upset enough to sacrifice another year of sitting, this time without an injury, because he couldn't play for the last month of the season?  On the other hand, he is from Minnesota and was recruited by Minnesota.  If Tubby Smith was the coach at that time I really think our chances of having him are slim.  If he was upset enough to transfer, wherever he would end up, it would have been very unfortunate.

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2008, 04:17:11 PM »
Remember, chances are James won't be with MU after this year. So Crean and Co. realize they need every quality big body they can get up front to help maximize the talents of our guards this year and make a deep run in March. Plus, I think Mbakwe has been doing a lot more than many us here were lead to believe. I trust that the coaches and doctors wouldn't be making this decision without heavily weighing Mbakwe's future down the road. They must feel a good deal of confidence that he can really help the team this year and that he's not jepordizing his future in any way.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2008, 04:17:54 PM »

Do you have the world's shortest memory or do you simply choose to ignore your own words?

Since you apparently forgot, your post at 3:40 p.m. said:

"Good Lord -- I hope we're not putting our possible status as a bubble team ahead of a young man's health/future."

Seems to me that you're questioning the decision based on more than just the eligibility issue.
Or were suggesting that losing a partial year of eligibility was risky to Trevor's health?
Yeah ... that's the ticket.

Again, whether it's the smart move from an eligibility standpoint is debatable. But you quite clearly have raised the health issue as well and intimated through your earlier post that playing him now could jeopardize his health.
Don't blame me for words you wrote.