Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT? UAB might drop football  (Read 4666 times)

mug644

• All American
OT? UAB might drop football
« on: December 02, 2014, 12:10:48 PM »
It could be a long week talking about the Badgers, so how about this for a bit of a diversion.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11967626/uab-blazers-shut-football-program

Have a chance to go to a bowl game this year, but may become the first FBS school to shut down their football program since 1975. I continue to wonder if the consolidation of the top football programs may lead to the decision by a notable number of lower-tier FBS schools to drop it. Specifically, I wonder if UConn will ultimately see that their 'athletic identity' is and will remain basketball. Drop football and they are right back in the Big East.

Litehouse

• All American
Re: OT? UAB might drop football
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 12:25:26 PM »
This came up in the UConn thread...
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=45464.0

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 12:27:17 PM »
"Members of the band and cheerleaders joined in the protest at the administrative offices on Monday."

Boy, I bet that was scary-looking protest for the administration to have to deal with.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 12:39:52 PM »
"Members of the band and cheerleaders joined in the protest at the administrative offices on Monday."

Boy, I bet that was scary-looking protest for the administration to have to deal with.

LOL.  Add the math club and the administration might have given in....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 12:44:10 PM »
More of a political issue than an economic one.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 01:14:03 PM »
This came up in the UConn thread...
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=45464.0

Fair enough. I shouldn't have started a new one.

Lock it, admin, if so desired.

GGGG

• All American

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 03:52:40 PM »
Hail Mary pass?

Here's an insightful comment about the immediate future for UAB football.  Remember, the program was discontinued during this year's recruiting season, and many players have transferred.

"Congrats, Blazers. That was the easy part......

Now, let's fast forward to 2016. First, that will be the final year of Bill Clark's current contract. Some of this money that has been pledged (not raised, pledged) will be needed to extend his contract in the face of numerous offers from far more stable programs if he has any success in 2016.

Even if the NCAA grants UAB a recruiting waiver for next season, you will still be essentially a year behind on scholarship athletes. Some younger fans might want to look up the 1989 SMU Mustangs. No doubt they played with heart, but took beatings of 46, 49, 53 and 74 points during a dismal season. Blazer fans need to be prepared to show up en masse at Legion Field to cheer their team on through what is likely to be a pretty dark period.

If the fans are truly willing to support the program, this will make for a heroic tale. If not, it will end again as a tragic comedy."

No word on whether Tom Crean has pledged any money toward the new on campus stadium.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 03:55:44 PM by LittleWade »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 06:38:05 PM »
Congrats to UAB. A college in Alabama without football might as well be a  a 70's-era shopping mall--lots of parking, but no one goes there anymore.

Yet, for as little as $500,000 a year (or about 12% of the annual Fox Sports 1 TV deal), Marquette could be playing college football on Valley Fields with the likes of Butler and Dayton, Davidson and Drake. Throw in a road game at Georgetown or Columbia, and you've got yourselves a program and a team with 100 kids that pay their own way to play for the blue and gold.

Adding sports isn't easy, but UAB chose enthusiasm over excuses.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 12:29:32 AM »
Congrats to UAB. A college in Alabama without football might as well be a  a 70's-era shopping mall--lots of parking, but no one goes there anymore.

Yet, for as little as $500,000 a year (or about 12% of the annual Fox Sports 1 TV deal), Marquette could be playing college football on Valley Fields with the likes of Butler and Dayton, Davidson and Drake. Throw in a road game at Georgetown or Columbia, and you've got yourselves a program and a team with 100 kids that pay their own way to play for the blue and gold.

lol

followed by a head shake
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 08:53:36 AM »

#Pass

I'd rather be playing foosball at the Butler Inn with Aiden, David and Jake.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 08:56:23 AM »
Congrats to UAB. A college in Alabama without football might as well be a  a 70's-era shopping mall--lots of parking, but no one goes there anymore.

Non-scholarship football at the D1 level is useless.