'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 5 yrs is long enough  (Read 18578 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: 5 yrs is long enough
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2018, 12:43:33 AM »
I guess I am tired of being unranked when we have better talent than half the ranked teams. 

So you think we have better talent than all but 12 teams in the country?

Guess Wojo is one hell of a recruiter if we have the 13th best talent in the country!

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2018, 12:51:28 AM »
I agree, Wojo is a hell of a recruiter.
Please tell me which of these teams has significantly better talent than MU:

13   Virginia Tech   4-0   849
14   Florida State   2-0   794
15   Mississippi State   3-0   619
16   Clemson   3-0   462
17   UCLA   3-0   430
18   TCU   3-0   388
19   LSU   4-0   358
20   Iowa   4-0   354
21   Oregon   3-1   325
22   Buffalo   3-0   240
23   Ohio State   4-0   222
24   Purdue   4-1   199
25   Wisconsin   3-0   150
/25   Nebraska
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 01:00:23 AM by 94Warrior »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2018, 05:49:02 AM »
I agree, Wojo is a hell of a recruiter.
Please tell me which of these teams has significantly better talent than MU:

13   Virginia Tech   4-0   849
14   Florida State   2-0   794
15   Mississippi State   3-0   619
16   Clemson   3-0   462
17   UCLA   3-0   430
18   TCU   3-0   388
19   LSU   4-0   358
20   Iowa   4-0   354
21   Oregon   3-1   325
22   Buffalo   3-0   240
23   Ohio State   4-0   222
24   Purdue   4-1   199
25   Wisconsin   3-0   150
/25   Nebraska

Oregon, and LSU definitely.
Clemson and UCLA are coming off losses this week so lets see where they end up. Just scroll through the recruiting class rankings for the past few years
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2018, 06:56:07 AM »
Sounds kinda like the team Wojo walked into his first year on the job, hey?

I believe it is wrong to expect Marquette to be in the mix of "winning it all" each year. And I never wrote that, you just chose your own word in place of mine.

I also don't agree that Marquette is well-positioned to make the tournament this year. As far as I can tell, they are positioned only for the bubble. I guess I liked last year's team better based on the current level of play, at this same time last year. We beat LSU, Vermont, Wisconsin (always nice) around this time.

And as I have written before, I'm predicting three losses to the next meaningful 3. I could be wrong, I could be right, who the hell knows.

I wonder who these two are?  I'm sure they have both been here before. 

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2018, 07:20:20 AM »
Uh, I understood what he said. Why would/should they be certain wins?

Because you have to protect you home court... or at least that’s what Wojo says.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2018, 07:22:00 AM »
Because you have to protect you home court... or at least that’s what Wojo says.
Oooh. So by that logic we'd be certain to win against Duke or Kansas or Gonzaga if we played them at home?  Nonsensical.

CleanishProgram

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2018, 07:25:48 AM »

I wonder who these two are?  I'm sure they have both been here before.

Long time lurker.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2018, 08:05:32 AM »
Pakuni meant to write, "No one has asked you to stop posting...impolitely."

So, I'll give him the point.

I didn’t politely ask you to stop you to stop posting because you want Wojo fired. Many people do and that’s a fine opinion. I’m halfway there myself. It was because you just decided he was a dumb person based on what he says during the tv taped timeouts.  As has been discussed on here ad nauseam over the years, the coaches are told they will be on air then, and so specifically say nothing but coach speak for 10 seconds.
Wojo may not be the right coach for this team, or any team, but to think that he’s unintelligent or hasn’t forgotten more about basketball than you know, is a poor line of thought.

CleanishProgram

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2018, 08:39:27 AM »
I didn’t politely ask you to stop you to stop posting because you want Wojo fired. Many people do and that’s a fine opinion. I’m halfway there myself. It was because you just decided he was a dumb person based on what he says during the tv taped timeouts.  As has been discussed on here ad nauseam over the years, the coaches are told they will be on air then, and so specifically say nothing but coach speak for 10 seconds.
Wojo may not be the right coach for this team, or any team, but to think that he’s unintelligent or hasn’t forgotten more about basketball than you know, is a poor line of thought.

Well I also think he is dumb because of how defensive he gets from reasonable questions reporters pose to him in his pressers. I suppose that indicates he can't intelligently and reasonably respond to a fair question. Or maybe it just means he has some growing up to do as a leader.

Too bad we didn't get that Smart guy.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2018, 08:43:41 AM »
Well I also think he is dumb because of how defensive he gets from reasonable questions reporters pose to him in his pressers. I suppose that indicates he can't intelligently and reasonably respond to a fair question. Or maybe it just means he has some growing up to do as a leader.

Is that a regular occurrence. I remember the one time it happened but I can't think of any other time.

Living in Texas, I can tell you that Texas fans are even more disappointed in Smart than we are in Wojo. Maybe this is the year he turns it around.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2018, 08:46:40 AM »

Yeah it's a shame he doesn't give really intelligent speeches about the the butcher baker and candlestick maker.
Maigh Eo for Sam

CleanishProgram

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2018, 08:59:36 AM »
Yeah it's a shame he doesn't give really intelligent speeches about the the butcher baker and candlestick maker.

He can win a few NCAA tourney games like buzz and he can say whatever the hell he wants. Until then he has no reason to blow up at the Marquette student beat writers or insinuate his players make him look like his coaching is a problem.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2018, 09:12:38 AM »
He can win a few NCAA tourney games like buzz and he can say whatever the hell he wants. Until then he has no reason to blow up at the Marquette student beat writers or insinuate his players make him look like his coaching is a problem.

I've never gotten this impression from Wojo. I feel like he's gone out of his way to take blame off the players
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2018, 09:20:54 AM »

I agree there's been times he's snapped a bit at the student writers which seems a little bs of him but here's a buzz presser from way back before he won a few NCAA tourney games. Seems very similar to the stuff wojo says, and at one point calls out the team for not doing what they practice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJUEbcegCOg
Maigh Eo for Sam

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2018, 09:23:51 AM »
Oregon, and LSU definitely.
Clemson and UCLA are coming off losses this week so lets see where they end up. Just scroll through the recruiting class rankings for the past few years
We just blew out Oregon in March.  Since then, we've added 4 good players and lost 1.  Oregon's talent is freshmen.  I'll take our roster.  I'm not sure about LSU either.  UCLA and Auburn are ranked, we aren't.  Would you trade our roster for theirs? I wouldn't.  Anyway, I'll be generous and give you 2 of the 4 you listed.  We still have a Top 15 roster, and we are not young.  Time for results!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2018, 09:34:23 AM »
We just blew out Oregon in March.  Since then, we've added 4 good players and lost 1.  Oregon's talent is freshmen.  I'll take our roster.  I'm not sure about LSU either.  UCLA and Auburn are ranked, we aren't.  Would you trade our roster for theirs? I wouldn't.  Anyway, I'll be generous and give you 2 of the 4 you listed.  We still have a Top 15 roster, and we are not young.  Time for results!

Said freshmen make up the no3 recruiting class in the country, not a forward coming off an injury, guy with two years off and a couple decent transfers.

I was saying UCLA just lost two this week as saying they aren't going to be ranked next week. I'm not going to go through year by year and compare recruiting rankings for each team and only scanned the class rankings for the past two years.

Also I didn't mention Auburn... I mean if you wanna include them go ahead.
Maigh Eo for Sam

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2018, 09:42:48 AM »

Last year Auburn brought in the number 47 and 59 players overall in the recruiting class (rated 22nd overall).  The year before that they brought in numbers 22, 35 and 90 (rated 12th overall).  And the prior year, number 65 and 67 (16th rated class overall).  They had no recruits in 2018, possibly because of them being significantly implicated in recruiting scandals.

During that time we had the 12th ranked (2015), 22nd ranked (2016), 59th ranked (2017) and 106th ranked (2018) classes. 

Auburn has more talent.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2018, 10:25:38 AM »
Said freshmen make up the no3 recruiting class in the country, not a forward coming off an injury, guy with two years off and a couple decent transfers.

I was saying UCLA just lost two this week as saying they aren't going to be ranked next week. I'm not going to go through year by year and compare recruiting rankings for each team and only scanned the class rankings for the past two years.

Also I didn't mention Auburn... I mean if you wanna include them go ahead.

I meant to type Clemson, not Auburn.  Auburn is ranked top 10 and should be.

I wouldn't trade our talented, veteran roster with anyone ranked 13-25 or with the team that will move into the Top 25 to replace UCLA.  If you don't think we have a Top 15 roster, you and I disagree.

We've waited 5 yrs for this, it is time to take a significant step forward.  Win 2 of 3 vs KState, UW and Buffalo and we are 3-3 against the 6 quality teams on our non-conference schedule.  Anything less is vastly underperforming.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2018, 10:28:26 AM »
You're right. Perhaps his sideline speeches better indicate that he believes his players can't comprehend complex schemes or language beyond a fifth grade level, not that he himself is actually struggling with the complexity of coaching against his peers. Similar to your posting behavior?

Looks like Mayfair has a new name.

checkmarq

• Walk-On
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2018, 10:55:25 AM »
I guess I am tired of being unranked when we have better talent than half the ranked teams.  Use Wisconsin as an example.  We have far better talent, and it's not even close, yet there they are ranked and we needed a meltdown from a team in year 1 of a rebuild, to get to OT and remain in the 'others getting votes' category.  Not good enough.

Food for thought, I'm of the opinion that spots 21-25 are solely for the benefit of drawing consumer interest to a game being played by two teams who are otherwise uninteresting. The networks paying money to broadcast the games want eyeballs even if it is a Tuesday night. If we aren't ranked top 20, I don't perceive it as a "real" ranking.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2018, 11:07:16 AM »

Clemson hadn't played anyone yet.  Their first remote challenge, Creighton, beat them.  They won't be in the top 25 anymore either. 

A lot of these teams will not be in the top 25 for much longer.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2018, 11:07:28 AM »
Is that a regular occurrence. I remember the one time it happened but I can't think of any other time.

Living in Texas, I can tell you that Texas fans are even more disappointed in Smart than we are in Wojo. Maybe this is the year he turns it around.
Knowing how unreasonable Texas is I’m assuming Shaka isn’t there a year or two from now. His ousting may coincide with Wojo’s and I think he’d be a natural plug and play at MU
No Finish Line

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2018, 11:08:15 AM »

I wouldn't trade our talented, veteran roster with anyone ranked 13-25 or with the team that will move into the Top 25 to replace UCLA.  If you don't think we have a Top 15 roster, you and I disagree.

We've waited 5 yrs for this, it is time to take a significant step forward.  Win 2 of 3 vs KState, UW and Buffalo and we are 3-3 against the 6 quality teams on our non-conference schedule.  Anything less is vastly underperforming.

Who's really talented that you would put in the regular rotation of those teams? I see three guys. I like our roster, I think I'll like it more when Greg gets back. I think in time it could be that level if they assimilate and develop together, but on the talent + experience question I only think Hauser x2 and Howard are capable of playing regular rotation minutes on any roster in the country.

Knowing how unreasonable Texas is I’m assuming Shaka isn’t there a year or two from now. His ousting may coincide with Wojo’s and I think he’d be a natural plug and play at MU

Sarcasm?
Maigh Eo for Sam

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2018, 11:15:58 AM »
No Finish Line

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2018, 11:26:59 AM »
Who's really talented that you would put in the regular rotation of those teams? I see three guys. I like our roster, I think I'll like it more when Greg gets back. I think in time it could be that level if they assimilate and develop together, but on the talent + experience question I only think Hauser x2 and Howard are capable of playing regular rotation minutes on any roster in the country.

That's the point.  Wojo isn't getting consistently solid contributions from the majority of our roster. 
John is playing well when not in foul trouble, but
Morrow
Chartouny
Anim
Bailey
and especially Cain are underperforming this season, to date. 
Who's fault is that? 

They are all talented players, who would be a part of any rotation in America.

feedback