collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: ea sports/ncaa  (Read 2522 times)

jesmu84

• All American
ea sports/ncaa
« on: August 01, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/22954567/keller-lawsuit-vs-gamer-ea-sports-and-ncaa-clears-major-hurdle

Surprised there isn't more chatter on the boards about this.

Or is this not a big deal for those of you who are experts in legalese?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: ea sports/ncaa
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 02:11:12 PM »
Case settled today
http://college-football.si.com/2014/06/09/ncaa-keller-lawsuit-settlement/

NCAA announces $20M settlement with Keller plaintiffs over video game claims

With the O’Bannon v. the NCAA trial beginning, the college sports world has turned its attention to a courtroom in Oakland, Calif. Yet some major news surfaced before anyone involved in the case took the stand. The NCAA announced on Monday morning that it has settled in the Sam Keller lawsuit — a separate case from O’Bannon — by awarding $20 million to “certain Division I men’s basketball and Division I Bowl Subdivision football student-athletes who attended certain institutions during the years the games were sold.”

Electronic Arts and the Collegiate Licensing Company, former co-defendants in the O’Bannon case, which surrounds the rights to student-athletes’ names, images and likenesses, recently reached a $40 million settlement. Via the NCAA’s press release:

“With the games no longer in production and the plaintiffs settling their claims with EA and the Collegiate Licensing Company, the NCAA viewed a settlement now as an appropriate opportunity to provide complete closure to the video game plaintiffs,” said NCAA Chief Legal Officer Donald Remy.

The complete details of the settlement remain to be finalized.

This settlement, and the previously announced settlement between other parties to the litigation, could result in some current FBS football or Division I men’s basketball student-athletes receiving a monetary award from a settlement fund.

“Consistent with the terms of a court-approved settlement, the NCAA will allow a blanket eligibility waiver for any currently enrolled student-athletes who receive funds connected with the settlement. In no event do we consider this settlement pay for athletics performance,” Remy said.

This settlement should have no impact on the O’Bannon trial, which the NCAA views as separate from the decision to settle in the Keller case. In the press release, Remy notes that the O’Bannon plaintiffs are not seeking monetary damages, but rather posing “attacks on the college model.”

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 06:57:13 PM »
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/22954567/keller-lawsuit-vs-gamer-ea-sports-and-ncaa-clears-major-hurdle

Surprised there isn't more chatter on the boards about this.

Or is this not a big deal for those of you who are experts in legalese?

Not a big deal.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

starting5

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 10:21:44 AM »
too bad this had to take NCAA football by EA off the shelves.  Was one of the best video games I have played.
Anyone know if O'Bannon got paid to be on the cover of the college game?  They always picked one of the top players that was leaving school to put on the cover.  I would assume they would get paid if they were out of school

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 10:25:29 AM »
too bad this had to take NCAA football by EA off the shelves.  Was one of the best video games I have played.
Anyone know if O'Bannon got paid to be on the cover of the college game?  They always picked one of the top players that was leaving school to put on the cover.  I would assume they would get paid if they were out of school

NCAA games are always the worst.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 10:30:04 AM »
NCAA EA games are always the worst.

FTFY

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 12:36:08 PM »
FTFY

I'd take Battlefield over COD any day of the week.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 12:56:25 PM »

That's a mistake.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 01:02:44 PM »
That's a mistake.

I don't play either, my son does.  He likes being able to get into the vehicles and actually change the landscape by blowing stuff up, etc.  Multiplayer especially.  I believe BF4 won a number of the awards in the multiplayer category over COD.  He has both on PS4, but enjoys BF4 more.

To each their own.  This describes his view pretty well  http://www.gamezone.com/originals/2013/12/29/how-battlefield-4-won-my-heart-over-call-of-duty-ghosts

On the EA stuff, my son has a bunch of those games.  I asked him once if he cares about the players in the game and thought his answer was right on target.  'The players come and go, its the team that I want.  I want to play as Marquette in hoops, or UCLA in football. Doesn't matter what it says on the back of the jersey.'

There is hope.

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 01:23:05 PM »
I had fun with NCAA Football, especially once I created MU and put them in the Big East.  Cadougan was a pretty good dual threat QB...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 01:47:10 PM »

That's pretty fair. I guess I was more talking about EA in general. They are a very poor company in terms of quality lately. Go look at what happened with the latest SimCity.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 08:18:39 AM »
I don't play either, my son does.  He likes being able to get into the vehicles and actually change the landscape by blowing stuff up, etc.  Multiplayer especially.  I believe BF4 won a number of the awards in the multiplayer category over COD.  He has both on PS4, but enjoys BF4 more.

To each their own.  This describes his view pretty well  http://www.gamezone.com/originals/2013/12/29/how-battlefield-4-won-my-heart-over-call-of-duty-ghosts

On the EA stuff, my son has a bunch of those games.  I asked him once if he cares about the players in the game and thought his answer was right on target.  'The players come and go, its the team that I want.  I want to play as Marquette in hoops, or UCLA in football. Doesn't matter what it says on the back of the jersey.'

There is hope.

Any number of links you want for pro-BF4 you can find for pro-COD. Battlefield has struggled as a franchise, while COD has not. Ghosts was a disappointment on the next-gens, but still play it more than Battlefield.

Issue with Battlefield and why the style will never surmount COD is the style of multiplayer. Titanfall has this issue as well, the player doesn't need to value the deaths. COD puts more importance on the death that Battlefield does.

COD has been a deeper FPS for years while Battlefield tried to emulate it, but went with their own style of vehicles and open maps. Battlefield basically followed Halo's model.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 02:14:26 PM »
Any number of links you want for pro-BF4 you can find for pro-COD. Battlefield has struggled as a franchise, while COD has not. Ghosts was a disappointment on the next-gens, but still play it more than Battlefield.

Issue with Battlefield and why the style will never surmount COD is the style of multiplayer. Titanfall has this issue as well, the player doesn't need to value the deaths. COD puts more importance on the death that Battlefield does.

COD has been a deeper FPS for years while Battlefield tried to emulate it, but went with their own style of vehicles and open maps. Battlefield basically followed Halo's model.

Do not disagree with you, it's a personal choice and of course COD has the franchise lead.  He plays both, prefers one over the other.  I'm talking purely enjoyment of game play that he has and what I would call more ability to roam or manipulate the environment, if that makes sense.  Both look really amazing on the PS4, better than the XBox One in my opinion.    Actually, of late I see him playing MLB the Show more than anything along with Watchdogs.