[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bring back the Warriors? An EDI-friendly proposal.  (Read 15178 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Bring back the Warriors? An EDI-friendly proposal.
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2021, 12:15:32 PM »
Personally, I subscribe to the school of thought that Marquette is contractually forbidden to return to the Warriors mascot. I don't know if we'll ever learn whether this is true, or just a rumor.

Contractually forbidden?  With whom?  Did an Native American tribe sue the school?  I could see some sort of an agreement with the NCAA.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2021, 12:34:34 PM »

We use EDI.  So do a number of other schools.

Must not have caught that the link was in teal.

As someone who heads an EDI unit ... it's also EDI. There is world outside the US you know....

Thinking on it, I shouldn't have been a dick about it. I have never heard it called EDI but that doesn't mean there aren't places that do. Mea culpa
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2021, 12:42:21 PM »
Contractually forbidden?  With whom?  Did an Native American tribe sue the school?  I could see some sort of an agreement with the NCAA.

There is speculation that when they purchased the land upon which the Valley Fields are located from the Potowatomi tribe, Marquette agreed to change the mascot. As said above, its quite possible (likely?) that this is just rumor and speculation. Fuzzy made a very fair point that a member of the BOT would presumably have been aware of this contractual restriction.

The evidence "supporting" this theory is, admittedly, pretty thin; really just the general timing and what some view as MU's seemingly irrational refusal to even consider a return to the Warriors name.

As the person who raised the issue in the thread, I should probably admit that even I'm not convinced. I choose to subscribe to that school of thought because it helps me make sense of an otherwise nonsensical decision.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2021, 12:49:18 PM »
Thinking on it, I shouldn't have been a dick about it. I have never heard it called EDI but that doesn't mean there aren't places that do. Mea culpa

Wait, you’re telling me that you emphatically stated something as fact and were wrong?  Not only that but you were a dick about it?   That seems so out of character for you.   Shocking.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2021, 01:27:56 PM »
We've been Golden Eagles for 27 years at this point. Longer than almost all Marquette undergrads have been alive. The name isn't changing. Less than zero chance. There's so little of a chance of it, that the administration wouldn't even respond to any inquiries about it. The issue is beyond dead. I've been in a few smaller meetings with various ADs over the years (decades at this point....) and the issue always comes up and they politely waive off the question.

The real mistake was not reverting to Hilltoppers or Golden Avalanche. Golden Avalanche is an awesome nickname and would've tied in the "Golden" part.
We Are Marquette

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2021, 01:29:52 PM »
There is speculation that when they purchased the land upon which the Valley Fields are located from the Potowatomi tribe, Marquette agreed to change the mascot. As said above, its quite possible (likely?) that this is just rumor and speculation. Fuzzy made a very fair point that a member of the BOT would presumably have been aware of this contractual restriction.

The evidence "supporting" this theory is, admittedly, pretty thin; really just the general timing and what some view as MU's seemingly irrational refusal to even consider a return to the Warriors name.

As the person who raised the issue in the thread, I should probably admit that even I'm not convinced. I choose to subscribe to that school of thought because it helps me make sense of an otherwise nonsensical decision.

That there was an agreement after discussions with Potowatomi leadership is universally acknowledged. Whether there was an actual "contract" to this effect I do not believe is accurate.
We Are Marquette

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2021, 01:30:21 PM »
If the MUBB Blog super pac made a joint statement about the impact changing the name would have on fundraising they'd revert back!
Maigh Eo for Sam

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2021, 01:32:45 PM »
If the MUBB Blog super pac made a joint statement about the impact changing the name would have on fundraising they'd revert back!

This energy would be far better spent bringing back the Avalanche Superbar.

Team, let's focus on the fights we can win!
We Are Marquette

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2021, 01:35:11 PM »

LOL I'm not banking on catching lightning in a bottle twice.

I think the right answer is no nickname. Just Marquette. We don't use any nickname imagery on uniforms. Our fight song and chant don't reference a nickname. Just Marquette, then let pundits refer to us as they choose.

If the old school wants to use Warriors, fine, as long as it's not official. If the new school wants to use Golden Eagles, fine, but it doesn't have to be official (they can still sell Iggy dolls without an official nickname).

We Are Marquette. And that's all we need to be.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2021, 01:35:32 PM »
This energy would be far better spent bringing back the Avalanche Superbar.

Team, let's focus on the fights we can win!

So like bringing back the football team?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2021, 01:37:42 PM »
We've been Golden Eagles for 27 years at this point. Longer than almost all Marquette undergrads have been alive. The name isn't changing. Less than zero chance. There's so little of a chance of it, that the administration wouldn't even respond to any inquiries about it. The issue is beyond dead. I've been in a few smaller meetings with various ADs over the years (decades at this point....) and the issue always comes up and they politely waive off the question.

The real mistake was not reverting to Hilltoppers or Golden Avalanche. Golden Avalanche is an awesome nickname and would've tied in the "Golden" part.

Agree with the spirit of all of this ... but how is there "less than zero chance," and how is it "beyond dead"?

Does the latter mean that if there is a Zombie Apocalypse, we could get Warriors back? And if so, wouldn't that mean there's more than zero chance?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Viper

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2021, 01:37:55 PM »

as mentioned prior, my housemate jr/sr years was the First Warrior. He lobbied hard to maintain Warriors. But Golden Avalanche was a big miss. I mean, Golden Eagles showed no creativity at all. It’s not even a WI-native bird, for crying out loud. Golden Avalanche is unique, connects back to the early years. If Warriors is a forever no-go, Golden Av should be considered.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2021, 01:54:53 PM »
There sure a lot of avalanches in Wisconsin I must be unaware of. :P

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2021, 01:55:33 PM »
Agree with the spirit of all of this ... but how is there "less than zero chance," and how is it "beyond dead"?

Does the latter mean that if there is a Zombie Apocalypse, we could get Warriors back? And if so, wouldn't that mean there's more than zero chance?

You are right.

Circle back when the Zombie Apocalypse happens and we can discuss then. 🧟‍♂️
We Are Marquette

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2021, 02:11:19 PM »
There sure a lot of avalanches in Wisconsin I must be unaware of. :P

like all of those hurricanes in Tulsa?

There is a greater chance of me playing in the NBA than there is of Warriors ever coming back.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

1SE

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2021, 02:50:16 PM »

No worries- I thought it was kind of a funny thing to argue about- my original reply was meant to be a joke!
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2021, 02:59:12 PM »

...was denying the vote to Warrior supporters. Talk about voter suppression.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2021, 03:05:14 PM »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2021, 03:07:03 PM »
And the Brooks Union!

I think I might still have keys.  8-)

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2021, 03:16:26 PM »
I think I might still have keys.  8-)

I still have mine to the Knights Of Columbus Building and the archives in the old Library.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 03:18:12 PM by muwarrior69 »

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2021, 03:20:19 PM »
I'd rather Marquette add baseball instead of bringing back football.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2021, 03:23:49 PM »
I'd rather Marquette add baseball instead of bringing back football.

We do have football.

https://gomarquette.com/sports/mens-soccer

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.

DefinitelyNotPorterMoser

• Walk-On
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2021, 09:20:26 PM »
We've been Golden Eagles for 27 years at this point.

Won't be long before we cross the mark where we've been talking about changing the name back to the Warriors longer than we were actually called the Warriors.

It's never going to come back. The guys Shaka is recruiting weren't even born when Dwyane Wade posted his triple-double against Kentucky, much less when Marquette was the Warriors. There are thousands of alums who graduated as Golden Eagles, not Warriors, and have no connection to that nickname other than some jackass board member hijacking their commencement ceremony to make a donation offer he knew the university wasn't going to accept.

It's not "woke" to acknowledge the damage that Native American nicknames has done for generations. I'm proud that Marquette made the change when it did and I can't believe there are still many high schools who haven't done the same.

It's not even a unique nickname! If you shout "Go Warriors!" in a crowded sports bar there's only one team people think you mean.

MU missed an opportunity to go with the Golden Avalanche. Even the Gold would have been better than the Golden Eagles. But we're the Golden Eagles, and we will always be the Golden Eagles.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2021, 09:46:18 PM »
Wait, you’re telling me that you emphatically stated something as fact and were wrong?  Not only that but you were a dick about it?   That seems so out of character for you.   Shocking.

I'm pretty careful about when I state things as fact and when I state them as an opinion. When I do get a fact wrong I own up to it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.