[May 03, 2024, 08:27:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Boycott?  (Read 13623 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Boycott?
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2019, 10:37:03 AM »
This is not Scoop's finest hour.

MU got jobbed last night, but absolutely had dozens of chances to win, and remove it from the hands of the refs.    MU made two buckets in the final 10 minutes of the game.  TWO.   MU missed crucial free throws and rebounds, and their best offensive player hit shots when ours went 1 for freaking 15.

MU lost because .. they consistently underperform in the BET.  There is no conspiracy.

This season .. and many others .. Marquette is the Charlie Brown of the Big East.  Lucy pulled the ball ~6 games ago.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2019, 10:38:46 AM »

MU got jobbed last night, but absolutely had dozens of chances to win, and remove it from the hands of the refs.    MU made two buckets in the final 10 minutes of the game.  TWO.   MU missed crucial free throws and rebounds, and their best offensive player hit shots when ours went 1 for freaking 15.

MU lost because .. they consistently underperform in the BET.  There is no conspiracy.

This season .. and many others .. Marquette is the Charlie Brown of the Big East.  Lucy pulled the ball ~6 games ago.

Myopic at best.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2019, 10:39:49 AM »

Team's top scorer was 1-15. Tough to overcome that dismal shooting percentage from your top guy. Just a rough night for Markus to have his worst shooting game all year.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2019, 10:43:02 AM »

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2019, 10:46:26 AM »
Team's top scorer was 1-15. Tough to overcome that dismal shooting percentage from your top guy. Just a rough night for Markus to have his worst shooting game all year.

Are all the guys and gals with thousands of posts short cited?  It is about the ejections, the calls and no calls, the thug atmosphere.  It is the Big East, NYC brand.  Watch what happens to the SH thugs in the NCAA tournament where there are different standards.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2019, 11:02:06 AM »
Are all the guys and gals with thousands of posts short cited?  It is about the ejections, the calls and no calls, the thug atmosphere.  It is the Big East, NYC brand.  Watch what happens to the SH thugs in the NCAA tournament where there are different standards.

I get it. This is BE basketball and has been for decades. We lost, it sucks. Move on and play the next game.
There is plenty of locker room motivation for Wojo to put up as we prepare for the NCAA's. I suspect MU will be plenty angry and ready to play this Thursday or Friday.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2019, 11:03:12 AM »
Agree, let the Big East Commissioners get their dream SJU - Villanova match-up for ticket sales, and Marquette can use the extra week for NCAA Tourney practice.
You realize the Final is sold out, right?  I doubt the Big East really thinks that Seton Hall is significantly better for ratings than Marquette.

The east coast teams do have a home court advantage, though.  Studies have shown that referees, whether they mean to or not, tend to slightly favor the home team.  I doubt any refereeing issues are any more nefarious than that.

By the way, our BET tournament records against the other teams:

Saint John's 5-0
Seton Hall 2-2
DePaul 1-0
Providence 1-0
West Virginia 1-0
Notre Dame 1-1
Villanova 1-3
Georgetown 0-2
Louisville 0-2
Pittsburgh 0-2
Xavier 0-2

If it weren't for Saint John's are BET record would be truly abysmal.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2019, 11:07:03 AM »
You realize the Final is sold out, right?  I doubt the Big East really thinks that Seton Hall is significantly better for ratings than Marquette.

The east coast teams do have a home court advantage, though.  Studies have shown that referees, whether they mean to or not, tend to slightly favor the home team.  I doubt any refereeing issues are any more nefarious than that.

By the way, our BET tournament records against the other teams:

Saint John's 5-0
Seton Hall 2-2
DePaul 1-0
Providence 1-0
West Virginia 1-0
Notre Dame 1-1
Villanova 1-3
Georgetown 0-2
Louisville 0-2
Pittsburgh 0-2
Xavier 0-2

If it weren't for Saint John's are BET record would be truly abysmal.

As the girls would say, "OMG".
Why the Old BE.
Let's see some analysis from a pro.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2019, 11:13:54 AM »
The biggest beef we have is that Theo or Sacar did no where near enough t be ejected.  I liked Wojo’s comment that it is time to breathe some fresh air!

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2019, 11:15:52 AM »
The biggest beef we have is that Theo or Sacar did no where near enough t be ejected.  I liked Wojo’s comment that it is time to breathe some fresh air!

Hurah!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2019, 11:19:38 AM »

Yes, but people in seats and tickets sold...having east coast teams in final means butts are in seats.  I don't think anyone will deny this....less risk.

Now, I'm not saying rigged because I don't believe that, but refs do act differently under a "home crowd" and that's what last night was and will continue to be with fan bases from east coast dominating the stands.  Scorecasting does a great job analyzing how refs call games for home teams, which last night was the case.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2019, 12:01:50 PM »
My point is that if both teams in the final were midwest teams it would be embarrassing.  Yes, a few thousand loyal diehards would be there, but the rest of the big east would not be in their seats, V., P, SH, SJU, and GT would be no shows.  It would not be good for TV or the brand.
Denial of how we are treated is amazing.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2019, 12:48:51 PM »
So you really think the referees are instructed to favor the eastern teams?  If not, what are you saying?

At any rate, you are right about the eastern teams doing well against the midwestern teams.  By my count, they are 19-8 against the Midwestern teams, 13-5 as the better seed and 6-3 as the worse seed.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2019, 01:03:42 PM »
So you really think the referees are instructed to favor the eastern teams?  If not, what are you saying?

At any rate, you are right about the eastern teams doing well against the midwestern teams.  By my count, they are 19-8 against the Midwestern teams, 13-5 as the better seed and 6-3 as the worse seed.

Fantastic book, scholarly analysis.  Instructed to favor? Nope.  Psychologically influenced to make calls by home crowds....absolutely.....years of data showing how refs act.  Millions of data points.

https://www.amazon.com/Scorecasting-Hidden-Influences-Behind-Sports/dp/0307591808/ref=asc_df_0307591808/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312057593249&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10822954703801815951&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031056&hvtargid=pla-449291221893&psc=1

"I love this book. If I told you why, the NBA would fine me again."
—Mark Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks

“Freakonomics meets Moneyball”
—The Wall Street Journal

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2019, 01:26:42 PM »
Fantastic book, scholarly analysis.  Instructed to favor? Nope.  Psychologically influenced to make calls by home crowds....absolutely.....years of data showing how refs act.  Millions of data points.

https://www.amazon.com/Scorecasting-Hidden-Influences-Behind-Sports/dp/0307591808/ref=asc_df_0307591808/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312057593249&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10822954703801815951&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031056&hvtargid=pla-449291221893&psc=1

"I love this book. If I told you why, the NBA would fine me again."
—Mark Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks

“Freakonomics meets Moneyball”
—The Wall Street Journal
This I agree with.  We deal with the normal road team officiating issues.  Nothing sinister, though.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2019, 01:49:21 PM »
This I agree with.  We deal with the normal road team officiating issues.  Nothing sinister, though.

Yup

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2019, 02:01:40 PM »
I don’t think there is any conspiracy here. The officiating just sucks. Simple as that.

And it can be expected to suck when John Cahill is in charge of Big East officials.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2019, 02:15:13 PM »
Officiating sucked overall but can't say we lost because of that.  Howard got his first field goal with 10 minutes left to put us up by 6.  Should have been an easy win at that point. Even with 2 gift technicals against SHU we go 1-11 from the field from there and miss 9 free throws, many by Howard.  Sure, stay home and pout next year and see if anyone cares.

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2019, 02:44:45 PM »
Instead of the boycott I would prefer the passive agressive approach.  Send only walk-on’s to all BE media events, next years’ award ceremony will have video acceptance instead of in-person, post game press conference is only Wojo, etc...

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2019, 03:56:48 PM »
Instead of the boycott I would prefer the passive agressive approach.  Send only walk-on’s to all BE media events, next years’ award ceremony will have video acceptance instead of in-person, post game press conference is only Wojo, etc...

Great idea, now we are being creative. 

We have two issues:
1.  What happened?  I think we all agree on that.
2.  Why?  On that question we don't agree.

As the numbers come trickling in it seems there is an anomaly.  Something is up.  I would never say the refs fixed the games, they just let it happen.  If it is happening , then I  simply ask, why?

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2019, 04:13:25 PM »
Great idea, now we are being creative. 

We have two issues:
1.  What happened?  I think we all agree on that.
2.  Why?  On that question we don't agree.

As the numbers come trickling in it seems there is an anomaly.  Something is up.  I would never say the refs fixed the games, they just let it happen.  If it is happening , then I  simply ask, why?

I'll go there.  I believe it was fixed.  Butts in the seat for the BET are the only concern for the Big East commissioners.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2019, 04:17:04 PM »
When in doubt, grab some tin foil, put it on your head and shout, "Conspiracy theory!"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2019, 04:21:12 PM »
When in doubt, grab some tin foil, put it on your head and shout, "Conspiracy theory!"

There is nothing wrong with a good conspiracy and you don't need a hat.  To be a conspiracy it has to be a secret, in this case it is all out in the open.  All we have to do is connect the dots, and not the tin foil.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2019, 05:09:54 PM »
There is no conspiracy.  It's a fact, the Big East exists for the original members.  The newer members are there for numbers.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2019, 08:08:30 PM »
There is no conspiracy.  It's a fact, the Big East exists for the original members.  The newer members are there for numbers.
Ummm. That is a conspiracy. Duh!