'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Rowsey visits MU on Wednesday...  (Read 37713 times)

MU_Beav

• Starter
Rowsey visits MU on Wednesday...
« on: May 11, 2015, 02:32:53 PM »
...as per Rothstein:

@JonRothstein: UNC-Asheville transfer Andrew Rowsey will visit Marquette on Wednesday, source told @CBSSports. Recently visited Cincinnati.

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: Rowsey visits MU on Wednesday...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 02:39:26 PM »
The weather for May on Wednesday will give him an idea what he is in for.  I visited Cincinnati to go to school at and what was very unimpressed.  MU is really moving forward if that new
sports center is built.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 02:51:18 PM »
He cannot help next year, but might the year after next

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2015/5/11/8585847/cbs-unc-asheville-transfer-andrew-rowsey-to-visit-marquette-wednesday

Rowsey scored 19.2 points per game last year. He has two years of eligibility left and will have to sit out this season, per NCAA rules.

BM1090

• All American

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 03:04:34 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD9PkG7Bmvo
Reminds me of a little guard at Shorewood High, John Rinka, if he is half as good as Rinka, he might average 22 for MU.  Al stated his biggest mistake was giving Rinka a scholarship, unstoppable
as I know I tried guarding him when he was a junior in college and I was a senior.  Gary Rosenberger and Rinka best shooting guards I played against, Rosy scored at Hyde Park about 40 in the wind, beat us, and I had Allie, Jerry Homen and Ace Vollmer on my team.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 03:14:41 PM »
Reminds me of a little guard at Shorewood High, John Rinka, if he is half as good as Rinka, he might average 22 for MU.  Al stated his biggest mistake was giving Rinka a scholarship, unstoppable
as I know I tried guarding him when he was a junior in college and I was a senior.  Gary Rosenberger and Rinka best shooting guards I played against, Rosy scored at Hyde Park about 40 in the wind, beat us, and I had Allie, Jerry Homen and Ace Vollmer on my team.
Reminds me more of Rotnei Clarke of Butler....

MU_Beav

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 03:26:50 PM »
Reminds me more of Rotnei Clarke of Butler....

Agreed - that quick release totally reminds me of Clarke.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 03:50:57 PM »
A 5'10" chucker from a low major? Wojo/MU can do better than that, right?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 03:52:43 PM »

Never bad to have a backup PG (potentially) who can handle and shoot the ball. And if we learned anything from Carlino it's that "chuckers" can always learn to lessen their chucking.

He is also considering Cincinnati, Tennessee, and was considering NC State and Vanderbilt. So some solid programs are in on him
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 03:54:20 PM by MuEagle1090 »

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 04:17:49 PM »

If only that was a high school mixtape, everyone would be giddy!

He has nice stats on KenPom. I think some of the shooting percentages may be worse because he played for a pretty bad team. He took 31% of his team's shots. The other 3 major contributors on Asheville were freshman, 2 of which were extremely inefficient.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 04:31:23 PM »

Pretty sure the three point line is the same distance in every conference. Any kid who can hit over 100 threes in a season is good enough for our roster. He may not be the starter, but he'll certainly have a role. If Wojo doesn't feel confident about any PGs in 2016, signing Rowsey would allow him to wait until 2017 to sign a PG. This allows him to use the 2 2016 schollies on Coffey/Hauser.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 04:55:22 PM »
Pretty sure the three point line is the same distance in every conference. Any kid who can hit over 100 threes in a season is good enough for our roster. He may not be the starter, but he'll certainly have a role. If Wojo doesn't feel confident about any PGs in 2016, signing Rowsey would allow him to wait until 2017 to sign a PG. This allows him to use the 2 2016 schollies on Coffey/Hauser.

Seems to me we said the same thing about Jake Thomas and he was never the three point shooter for MU that he was for South Dakota.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 04:57:21 PM »
+1

A Rowsey commitment would likely take us out of the running for any '16 PGs.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 05:00:43 PM »
Seems to me we said the same thing about Jake Thomas and he was never the three point shooter for MU that he was for South Dakota.

Rowsey is much quicker and has far superior ball handling than Thomas. He is 3-4 inches shorter, however

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 05:09:56 PM »

Pretty close, though.
At USD = 175-450, 38.9 percent
At MU = 77-for-208, 37.0 percent

I don't think a 1.9 percent drop is terribly unexpected given the rise in level of competition.
I suspect the difference is that Jake saw so few opportunities his first year at MU (42 total shots in 23 games) that he never found his stroke. His second year at MU was actually a big improvement upon his second year in South Dakota.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 05:12:19 PM by Pakuni »

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 05:17:39 PM »

This is what happens when you miss out on all the transfers we've targeted since the season ended, ai na hey.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 05:20:22 PM »
I like Rowsey's form. Fairly quick, high release jumper, deep range. Not sure he's really a PG, though, more like an undersized 2/3. He's not shy at all either. Very high volume shooter, and made at least 1 three in all but 4 games in his two years at UNC-Asheville.

I wouldn't be against Rowsey, but hope the staff wouldn't stop looking at PGs on his account. Someone like Huerter or (please please please) Winston would still be a massive help for 2016.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2015, 05:25:41 PM »
I like Rowsey's form. Fairly quick, high release jumper, deep range. Not sure he's really a PG, though, more like an undersized 2/3. He's not shy at all either. Very high volume shooter, and made at least 1 three in all but 4 games in his two years at UNC-Asheville.

I wouldn't be against Rowsey, but hope the staff wouldn't stop looking at PGs on his account. Someone like Huerter or (please please please) Winston would still be a massive help for 2016.

Agreed. I'd be good with taking Rowsey, then Coffey, Hauser and Winston/Huerter in 2016. Somebody will transfer out at some point.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2015, 07:22:12 PM »

....except for his senior year when he led the team in 3P% and 3PM while starting. All I said was that Rowsey would have a role. And you're comparing him to a kid who ended up starting for us! So I assume you agree with me?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 07:24:43 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 07:54:09 PM »
....except for his senior year when he led the team in 3P% and 3PM while starting. All I said was that Rowsey would have a role. And you're comparing him to a kid who ended up starting for us! So I assume you agree with me?

Jake Thomas was an extreme liability.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2015, 07:58:04 PM »
Jake Thomas was supposed to be a walk-on role player who was given a scholarship, and thrust into the starting role, when we had excessive roster turn over.  My guess is that Rowsey will not be needed in the same role.  He will be in the same class as Duane and Sandy, and have Cheatham and Sacar in the class behind him.  His playing time will need to be earned.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2015, 08:13:27 PM »
Jake Thomas was an extreme liability.

What does it say about the players who couldn't supplant him?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2015, 08:27:36 PM »
What does it say about the players who couldn't supplant him?

That Buzz hated them.
Duh.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2015, 11:17:47 PM »
He cannot help next year, but might the year after next

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2015/5/11/8585847/cbs-unc-asheville-transfer-andrew-rowsey-to-visit-marquette-wednesday

Rowsey scored 19.2 points per game last year. He has two years of eligibility left and will have to sit out this season, per NCAA rules.

Because having another point guard who can light it up from 3 point land won't help Traci Carter during practice?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2015, 11:22:30 PM »
Agreed. I'd be good with taking Rowsey, then Coffey, Hauser and Winston/Huerter in 2016. Somebody will transfer out at some point.

Maybe everyone will transfer after the NCAA hits MU with a postseason ban for exceeding the limit of scholarship athletes for men's basketball.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback