[May 03, 2024, 08:27:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Danny Pudi on Olbermann  (Read 32734 times)

River rat

• Team Captain
Re: Danny Pudi on Olbermann
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2014, 09:38:06 AM »
cbs sports just had a show on top 10 unexpected ncaa tournament heroes who never played beyond college ball. it included jim boylan and his significance in the 1977 championship game.  north carolina must have overlooked him on the scouting report.  not only did he help shut down phil ford, but also scored 14 points, 7 more than his average.   

Not sure how UNC overlooked him when thye recruited him and wanted to sign him but had a no JUCO policy

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2014, 09:59:53 AM »
Olbermann is a douche and a horrid human being.
best post ever...i feel so much better about myself when i'm not in agreement with you.   

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2014, 10:26:29 AM »
Nothing political about it.....Olbermann is a terrible, horrible human being. 

Known throughout the industry what an epic douche.  Horrific.  I don't care what he pontificates about....he is known by everyone in television as the worst of the worst.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/24/business/media/24olbermann.html?pagewanted=all

http://www.mediaite.com/online/person-claiming-to-be-former-countdown-employee-slams-keith-olbermann-in-scathing-gawker-post/

100%     Had  a next door neighbor who was one of his producers. Horrible human being

http://rt.com/usa/olbermann-sheen-current-fired-466/

100's of others.  Fired everywhere he has been, despised by his colleagues, turnover rates approaching 80% on his shows. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2014, 10:28:30 AM »
Not sure how UNC overlooked him when thye recruited him and wanted to sign him but had a no JUCO policy

Boylan went to Assumption College, a small liberal arts school in the east. His play caught the attention of the big boys, and Jim's first choice was to transfer to North Carolina. Their policy at the time was no transfers, but Dean liked his game and got in touch with Al. Couple years later he's helping the Warriors beat the Tar Heels in the NCAA championship game.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2014, 10:40:58 AM »
Boylan went to Assumption College, a small liberal arts school in the east. His play caught the attention of the big boys, and Jim's first choice was to transfer to North Carolina. Their policy at the time was no transfers, but Dean liked his game and got in touch with Al. Couple years later he's helping the Warriors beat the Tar Heels in the NCAA championship game.
Actually, Boylan was a Top 10 guy coming out of high school and would have been a Burger Boy had the McDonald's game been around in the 70s.  JB was heavily recruited by UNC, but he decided to play at Assumption where is brothers and other family members played/attended.  After 2 years, he wanted to play with the big boys and then approached Dean Smith.  The rest of the story is as you post.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2014, 10:45:53 AM »
Actually, Boylan was a Top 10 guy coming out of high school and would have been a Burger Boy had the McDonald's game been around in the 70s.  JB was heavily recruited by UNC, but he decided to play at Assumption where is brothers and other family members played/attended.  After 2 years, he wanted to play with the big boys and then approached Dean Smith.  The rest of the story is as you post.

Thanks, Nuke. Didn't know Jimmy B was so highly ranked out of high school.

brandx

« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2014, 12:46:26 PM »

I didn't recall Boylan being rated that highly, so I pulled out the old Street & Smith Yearbooks which were kind of the standard at the time - S&S All-americans pretty much equated to Burger boys now.

And, you were pretty close. He was listed as a fourth team All-American so he was in the 12-20 range (since there ratings were based on 2 guards, 2 forwards and a center meaning there were 8 guards, 8 forwards and 4 centers so it wasn't an exact ranking).

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2014, 02:06:02 PM »
Nothing political about it.....Olbermann is a terrible, horrible human being. 

Known throughout the industry what an epic douche.  Horrific.  I don't care what he pontificates about....he is known by everyone in television as the worst of the worst.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/24/business/media/24olbermann.html?pagewanted=all

http://www.mediaite.com/online/person-claiming-to-be-former-countdown-employee-slams-keith-olbermann-in-scathing-gawker-post/

http://rt.com/usa/olbermann-sheen-current-fired-466/

100's of others.  Fired everywhere he has been, despised by his colleagues, turnover rates approaching 80% on his shows.   

Hmmm... sounds a lot like Crean, who you defend at the drop of a hat any time his name is mentioned here.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2014, 03:18:02 PM »
Hmmm... sounds a lot like Crean, who you defend at the drop of a hat any time his name is mentioned here.

Nope, I just set the facts straight.  I agree, not a likable guy.  Despised, I have no idea...Izzo sure likes him, Wade, Novak, etc, but plenty don't.  Fired everywhere he has been...nope, never been fired anywhere he has been.  Turnover rates approaching 80%....nope.

I guess I'm defending him by correcting falsehoods.

I suppose if someone said Nancy Pelosi was a frog and I said she wasn't, it must mean I'm defending Pelosi and love her.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2014, 03:38:11 PM »
Nope, I just set the facts straight.  I agree, not a likable guy.  Despised, I have no idea...Izzo sure likes him, Wade, Novak, etc, but plenty don't.  Fired everywhere he has been...nope, never been fired anywhere he has been.  Turnover rates approaching 80%....nope.

I guess I'm defending him by correcting falsehoods.

I suppose if someone said Nancy Pelosi was a frog and I said she wasn't, it must mean I'm defending Pelosi and love her.

What a complete waste of one's time.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2014, 03:50:34 PM »
I didn't recall Boylan being rated that highly, so I pulled out the old Street & Smith Yearbooks which were kind of the standard at the time - S&S All-americans pretty much equated to Burger boys now.

And, you were pretty close. He was listed as a fourth team All-American so he was in the 12-20 range (since there ratings were based on 2 guards, 2 forwards and a center meaning there were 8 guards, 8 forwards and 4 centers so it wasn't an exact ranking).
And the S & S rating was pre-season.  Basketball Weekly (which was the big in-season BB paper published by Larry Donald ) had Boylan as 2nd or 3rd team AA in its season ending ratings.  Boylan was indeed an elite player coming out of HS.  His performance in the '77 NCAA championship game was outstanding (just watched that game again a few weeks back and I was in attendance in Atlanta as well .  Great memories of that long weekend!).

brandx

« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2014, 04:12:27 PM »

brandx

« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2014, 04:14:57 PM »
And the S & S rating was pre-season.  Basketball Weekly (which was the big in-season BB paper published by Larry Donald ) had Boylan as 2nd or 3rd team AA in its season ending ratings.  Boylan was indeed an elite player coming out of HS.  His performance in the '77 NCAA championship game was outstanding (just watched that game again a few weeks back and I was in attendance in Atlanta as well .  Great memories of that long weekend!).

You know your S&S. I remember using that like we use Rivals, Scout, 247, etc. now. I also subscribed to Van Coleman back in the day as well.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2014, 09:54:03 AM »
Betwixt and between, can't stand KO but I'll take the MU coverage.  Had to exit MSNBC many a times.

Need to do a bigger30/30 on Al and rockin' 70's.

Definitely on both points. Olbermann lives to be outraged about this or that issue of the moment so he can make himself part of the story. And Al would be a natural subject for a documentary. Too bad we didn't play UCLA because a game between the two winningest programs of the 70's would've been special.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2015, 11:51:56 PM »
Overmanned out at ESPN....again. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2015, 05:23:42 AM »
Not because of something he did this time.   Part of that 300-400 job cutting plan to cut $100 mil.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2015, 08:06:06 AM »
Don't know what happened to my comment.

Had a neighbor who was a producer for Olbermann when he was on TV in LA. He is a terrible human being. Few  lamented his moving on

You accidentally wrote it in the middle of the post that you quoted rather than at the top or bottom of the quote, so it appears as if if were a part of Chico's post.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2015, 08:08:59 AM »
I've never been a big fan of his style. But, I can't say I watch too much of the 4-letter network and I never watched his stuff so it won't affect me.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2015, 08:36:51 AM »
Not because of something he did this time.   Part of that 300-400 job cutting plan to cut $100 mil.

Not true at all....where are you getting your information because it is dead wrong

314warrior

• Starter
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2015, 08:40:50 AM »
Not true at all....where are you getting your information because it is dead wrong
So... Why is he out?  Is this going to turn into a guessing game?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2015, 08:47:41 AM »
So... Why is he out?  Is this going to turn into a guessing game?

He was asked to tone down his commentary months ago by John Skipper.  Asked again weeks ago.  Surfaced again last week in his renegotiations in which Skipper said he wanted to resign him.

Yesterday, parting ways.  "Creative differences cited" by Olbermann's team.

Today...it's a money issue.  LOL.

Look, they do have real budget issues they are dealing with over there from Disney.  They have to cut a ton.  They spent so much money on the new studio, rights fees, etc, that other things have to go, but they were willing to resign him IF he toned down his drivel.  He refused.  He is gone.  The same goes for Simmons.  Sure, he was paid a lot, but that isn't what got him out the door.

314warrior

• Starter
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2015, 08:55:39 AM »
Thanks.  Any chance FS1 tries to pick up Olbermann or Simmons to bolster their brand?  Or are they priced too high?  If ESPN keeps dispatching top talent, it might open a door for the second tier sports networks.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2015, 08:58:31 AM »
Thanks.  Any chance FS1 tries to pick up Olbermann or Simmons to bolster their brand?  Or are they priced too high?  If ESPN keeps dispatching top talent, it might open a door for the second tier sports networks.

I hope not

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2015, 08:59:46 AM »
I think a better step for FS1 is to spend their money obtaining more rights fees.  They actually outdrew ESPN a couple weeks in July due to the Woman's World Cup.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2015, 09:01:23 AM »
I think a better step for FS1 is to spend their money obtaining more rights fees.  They actually outdrew ESPN a couple weeks in July due to the Woman's World Cup.

Agreed. Live sports programming will always drive viewership. Not talking heads.